Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Anyone with a brain knows that Tony Stewart wouldn't seriously try to murder another athlete with hundreds of people watching. Anyone that is trolling and is an idiot thinks Tony Stewart is a murderer who consciously decided to run over some kid who was mad for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

UltraRed posted:

I don't know anything about racing or whatever, but is this thread's consensus that he tried to kill the guy or was it an unfortunate (though avoidable) accident?

He tried to kill a guy but missed and hit some rear end in a top hat running on the track.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Cojawfee posted:

Anyone with a brain knows that Tony Stewart wouldn't seriously try to murder another athlete with hundreds of people watching. Anyone that is trolling and is an idiot thinks Tony Stewart is a murderer who consciously decided to run over some kid who was mad for some reason.

You can still be a murderer without having had the intent to kill, just for the record.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

NtotheTC posted:

You can still be a murderer without having had the intent to kill, just for the record.

No you really can't, by definition.

Herv
Mar 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
Is there any news upcoming or can I just close this thread now?

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

nsaP posted:

No you really can't, by definition.

Intent to cause harm resulting in the death of there victim even if you didn't intend to kill them is still murder in the UK. What is it in the US?

Billy the Mountain
Feb 3, 2005

I used to be TheRealLuquado

NtotheTC posted:

Intent to cause harm resulting in the death of there victim even if you didn't intend to kill them is still murder in the UK. What is it in the US?

Manslaughter.

There was no intent to harm.

Therefore legally this is just an unfortunate accident, or death by misadventure. Kid tried to grab onto Tonys car, you can see his arm on the original video reaching up trying to garb the wing. He slips, goes under the wheel, no matter what tony did the guy was going to die.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

When did we decide there was no intent to harm? Are we basing this on his stellar record and ability to keep a cool head in similar situations?

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo

NtotheTC posted:

What the gently caress, it's manslaughter in the UK too.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Hand Knit posted:

Unless somebody leaks that second video, there's nothing really left to report until we get final confirmation on whether there'll be criminal charges (probably not, at this point)

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Hand Knit posted:

Rumored second video aside, the only interesting thing that might come up would be when Stewart returns to NASCAR.

If at all.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
So much for the sports story of the century.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

thehustler posted:

What the gently caress, it's manslaughter in the UK too.

http://www.cps.gov.uk/legal/h_to_k/homicide_murder_and_manslaughter/#murder

Specifically:

quote:

..the crime of murder is committed, where a person:

• of sound mind and discretion (i.e. sane);
  • unlawfully kills (i.e. not self-defence or other justified killing);
  • any reasonable creature (human being);
  • in being (born alive and breathing through its own lungs - Rance v Mid-Downs Health Authority (1991) 1 All ER 801 and AG Ref No 3 of 1994 (1997) 3 All ER 936;
  • under the Queen's Peace;
  • with intent to kill or cause grievous bodily harm (GBH).

As someone above kindly pointed out, I anal. But I'm still pretty certain that gunning the throttle of a high performance car and pointing it at someone counts as intent to cause grievous bodily harm. What I am NOT sure about is whether or not he actually gunned the throttle and aimed the car at the kid. I just can't quite get my head around why people are so quick to give the benefit of the doubt to someone with obvious mental issues when it comes to anger and reacting stupidly in situations like this.

Edit: On reading that page a bit more, it seems like in the UK Tony could get his sentence down to "Voluntary Manslaughter" if he claimed diminished responsibility, i.e.

quote:

"Abnormality of mental functioning means a state of mind so different from that of ordinary human beings that the reasonable person would term it abnormal."

Which isn't actually an unreasonable defense for a NASCAR driver...

NtotheTC fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Aug 19, 2014

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Billy the Mountain posted:

Kid tried to grab onto Tonys car, you can see his arm on the original video reaching up trying to garb the wing. He slips, goes under the wheel, no matter what tony did the guy was going to die.

I am not at all convinced that he was trying to grab onto the car rather than putting his arm out instinctively when he saw a car barreling at him.

Billy the Mountain
Feb 3, 2005

I used to be TheRealLuquado

Cubey posted:

I am not at all convinced that he was trying to grab onto the car rather than putting his arm out instinctively when he saw a car that he was running at somehow magically get closer to him.

FTFY

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

Hand Knit posted:

Please do

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Yeah when people are quoting UK law it's done

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

nsaP posted:

This conventional wisdom bought to you by the people that gave you "ner ner" and "no backsies".

The discussion isn't exactly wildly off-topic or uncivil so you're probably fine with leaving the thread open. Though not much is going to be added to it until more information is released.

NtotheTC fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Aug 19, 2014

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
keep it open, nothing is gonna come from the investigation and people that have uninformed opinions need a place to be shamed

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

NtotheTC posted:

This conventional wisdom bought to you by the people that gave you "ner ner" and "no backsies".

The discussion isn't exactly wildly off-topic or uncivil so you're probably fine with leaving the thread open. Though not much is going to be added to it until more information is released.

If you think quoting UK law about an accident that happened in New York is relevant I don't know what to tell you

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

When Tony inevitably continues his murderous rampage overseas he is going to need to know the ins and outs. What he really needs to do is organize a race in international waters.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

2018 Indianapolis 500 Winner

beejay posted:

When Tony inevitably continues his murderous rampage overseas he is going to need to know the ins and outs. What he really needs to do is organize a race in international waters.

Last time that happened he ended up in a jail in Australia.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

nsaP posted:

Sort of what I was thinking.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

nsaP posted:

If you think quoting UK law about an accident that happened in New York is relevant I don't know what to tell you

I actually quoted the UK law at the person that specifically mentioned UK law. I think you're being a bit precious about it regardless, it's hardly thread-closingly irrelevant to highlight that Tony would be considered a murderer for doing what he did in most countries had it been a deliberate act.

e: You were also wrong.

NtotheTC fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Aug 21, 2014

canti32
Apr 27, 2008

Fearless in Devotion, Rising to Promotion,
Rising to the ranks of mighty heroes, Fighting foes in every land,

History only tells a story, We are to see your glory,
Stand aside the Reds are coming,
WREXHAM IS THE NAME

NtotheTC posted:

I actually quoted the UK law at the person that specifically mentioned UK law. I think you're being a bit precious about it regardless, it's hardly thread-closingly irrelevant to highlight that Tony would be considered a murderer for doing what he did in most countries had it been a deliberate act.

e: You were also wrong.

If it was a deliberate act he would be considered a murderer here in the States as well :eng101:

You're either an idiot or desperate for attention at this point.

darkwolf220
May 14, 2009

SOON :stare:

I thought this slapfest was getting closed?

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Now he's saying 'if it was deliberate', reminder what started this:

NtotheTC posted:

So he's either a stupid troll or just stupid.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

e: nvm. I've no idea why your knickers are in a twist but there's obviously no arguing with you.

NtotheTC fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Aug 22, 2014

Parmesan Basil
Nov 12, 2008

TIME IS THE FIRE IN WHICH WE BURN THE GAME CLOCK
blow this poo poo up pronto

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

NtotheTC posted:

e: nvm. I've no idea why your knickers are in a twist but

Because you're a dumb dummy

Thread has no use anymore, somebody start another thread when Tony comes out of hiding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Parmesan Basil posted:

blow this poo poo up pronto

kaboom

• Locked thread