Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brogeoisie
Jan 12, 2005

"Look, I'm a private citizen," he said. "One thing that I don't have to do is sit here and open my kimono as it relates to how much money I make or didn't."
Yeah, if this were another amateur out there, you could make the case but Stewart had to have known how his car would handle in that situation. He tried to hit him or at least tried to get close enough to scare him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
The Gasoline And Dynamite
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Brogeoisie posted:

at least tried to get close enough to scare him

This is what I think he was trying to do. Amateur dude is pissed off so Tony thinks he can punk him by getting scarily close to him with his car and kicking up some dirt, underestimates the power he's putting into it, and ends up crushing the guy.

I mean, the only alternative to that is Tony Stewart meant to hit this guy and I don't really want to live in that world.

MaoistBanker
Sep 11, 2001

For Sound Financial Pranning!
There is a moment right at the time of impact (when Tony guns it) where I see a human being spinning impossibly fast. Faster than a human body should be able to spin. I'm guessing his head spun and hit the ground multiple times in less than a second and he died more of less instantly.

MaoistBanker fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Aug 10, 2014

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I wish I had not watched that video. It's really awful. And 20 years old? Jesus. I feel horrible for his family.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Whip Slagcheek posted:

This is what I think he was trying to do. Amateur dude is pissed off so Tony thinks he can punk him by getting scarily close to him with his car and kicking up some dirt, underestimates the power he's putting into it, and ends up crushing the guy.

I mean, the only alternative to that is Tony Stewart meant to hit this guy and I don't really want to live in that world.

Yeah, I can't comprehend Stewart, a guy who has been racing for years and been in pressure situations for years suddenly deciding to ram a guy with his car. I can't tell anything from the video and don't feel like watching it again, but it seems far far more likely that he tried to either spray dirt on Ward or just scare him and it went terribly wrong. He's still responsible, but I just can't believe he actually hit the guy on purpose.

limeincoke
Jul 3, 2005

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
How many hours ago did this happen? People are talking about that brief second this camera looks away, but what are the odds that no one else was recording? Surely there's other videos that are going to be posted.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

limeincoke posted:

How many hours ago did this happen? People are talking about that brief second this camera looks away, but what are the odds that no one else was recording? Surely there's other videos that are going to be posted.

Just guessing from twitter timelines, I'm guessing 4ish hours ago at this point.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

There will be other angles. I reckon they won't show up on YouTube, but will show up at trial.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Yeah there's definitely more videos out there right now, this is just the one guy that has been able to get his uploaded. I'd imagine the race track has some video footage of it as well.

Oil!
Nov 5, 2008

Der's e'rl in dem der hills!

Ham Wrangler
I don't think he went for the kill, but in NY, what is the max or min sentence for Involuntary Manslaughter?

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT

Oil! posted:

I don't think he went for the kill, but in NY, what is the max or min sentence for Involuntary Manslaughter?

I believe it is 3-15 years

maxallen
Nov 22, 2006

I was trying to go to sleep a few minutes ago and for some reason the enormity of these events finally hit me and I couldn't stop crying. I have no real life friends who give a poo poo about stock car racing, so this is basically the only place I have to express these feelings, but I really feel the need to express them.

I would like this thread to be about our personal feelings about the death of Tony Stewart, and how it has personally affected us. Just TV-IVing about the details as they come in, or wondering about the NASCAR's future, and all of that bullshit has no place here. I need to write about my feelings about Tony Stewart. Obviously these posts will be mocked elsewhere on the forums, but gently caress em. If you feel the need to say anything, say it.

-----

Tony Stewart is a murderer. He killed another race car driver. We will probably never know exactly what he was thinking. Obviously I did not know Tony Stewart. I never saw him in person and never spoke to him. But he represented something very special to me. In such a cut-throat, dirty, dark, often disgusting, business he was one of the good ones. When people talked poo poo about racing and the bastards involved in it, you could always muffin out Tony Stewart as the exception to the rule. He was the one you could muffin to as a true professional who honored the sport he loved, who was passionate about it, who proved that you could dedicate your life to professional racing without being insane or scum or a monster. He was the ace in the hole. He was the one who wasn't in it for the pussy or because he was a failed jock in another sport or because he wanted to get rich quick or because he wanted to be a movie star or because he saw racing as a means to an end. He was in it for racing. He was dedicated to being the best race car driver he could be, and it showed on the track.

I wanted to be a racer since I was a little kid, and one of the very worst moments of my life was a cold night in San Antonio when I was on the phone to my girlfriend a thousand miles away and finally admitted to myself and to her that coming to Texas to be a race car driver had been a mistake. Coming to grips that I was simply not athletically or charismatically talented enough to be a race car driver was one of the worst moments of my life. The business glorifies the boyhood dreams that come true. My boyhood dream wasn't going to come true, and it was an upsetting, soul-crushing revelation that upsets and discourages me to this day.

Since then I lived vicariously through Tony Stewart in a lot of ways. He wasn't a man who was destined to be a NASCAR champion. He couldn't talk. He wasn't charismatic in the usual way. He was quiet. He was short. The only thing he had going for him was his work ethic. He wasn't a third generation race car driver. He wasn't physically gifted. He wasn't someone who had words come easy to him. But through sheer effort he was able to become one of the greatest professional race car drivers in history. By 40 years-old.

Tony Stewart was only forty three, and he was already a legend on the verge of myth. That's how talented he was, and how respected.

I cannot reconcile in my mind that the man who unnecessarily gave back so much to the sport could end his life the way he did. I can't understand how a man could spend weeks and months trying to give back to younger guys like Joey Logano, putting forth the care and effort to help them find their voice on the track, and that that same man could run over another guy only weeks later. It doesn't make sense. It shouldn't have happened this way. Not for him, not for Danica, and not for their child.

Tony Stewart owed me nothing. But I still feel the loss. I selfishly lived through many of his accomplishments and now feel lost. I can only speak for myself, but I feel that for a lot of us Saturdays and Sundays are rocks of stability in a storm of stress and uncertainty. Every week the show goes on. Every week the show is from somewhere new, somewhere in the world, but every week it comes into our homes.

And that will continue. But Tony Stewart is dead. And he died a murderer. And whether it be insanity, drugs, or just the actions of a clear-eyed monster, what is done is done. And one of the pillars for the guys backstage and one of the pillars for fans is gone. And everything that pillar held up is tainted and dripping with blood.

Tony Stewart was a murderer. And I don't know how to accept that.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
lol, classic post.

Dancing Peasant
Jul 19, 2003

All this for stealing a piece of bread? :waycool:

this will never get old

Oil!
Nov 5, 2008

Ham Wrangler
At most he will get charged for involuntary manslaughter.

His highest punishment will be 3-5 years probation.

Normal Not Odd
Nov 5, 2003

what a t e r r i b l e world

what a b e a u t i f u l world

maxallen posted:

Tony Stewart was a murderer. And I don't know how to accept that.

I think I love you.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

I don't know what's more sad, that someone wrote that about Benoit or that you saved it.

Nah, it's the guy who wrote it.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Hahaha. I had to google a few lines from this just to make sure you weren't a crazy person.

sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae
Starting a new thread was totally worth it now.

DrunkCanuck's Rovell joke on page 1 is fantastic too.

MaoistBanker
Sep 11, 2001

For Sound Financial Pranning!
I'm a huge dum dum on my phone, what is max alien's post referencing?

Brogeoisie
Jan 12, 2005

"Look, I'm a private citizen," he said. "One thing that I don't have to do is sit here and open my kimono as it relates to how much money I make or didn't."

MaoistBanker posted:

I'm a huge dum dum, what is max alien's post refernecing?

Chris Benoit murder-suicide

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

MaoistBanker posted:

A post after Wrestler Chris Benoit killed his wife and son.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.

MaoistBanker posted:

WWE wrestler Chris Benoit killed his family and himself and wrestle hut posters had a sad about it.

try the new taco place
Jan 4, 2004

hey mister... can u play drums while I sing and play plastic guitar???

MaoistBanker posted:

Someone posted that about Chris Benoit, a pro wrestler who also unexpectedly murdered someone.

Nit Wit Dog Shit
Sep 28, 2000

Toilet Rascal
Anyone who thinks tony wanted to murder that guy is stupid.

If he is indeed dead.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Whip Slagcheek posted:

No you're right, its not new. In fact it happens a lot. Its still not a smart thing to do, but you probably shouldn't be killed for it.

sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae
Death confirmed by sheriff:

@PrescottRossi
Povero identifies Tony Stewart as hitting driver on the track. Driver was transported by ambulance. Driver was dead on arrival.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

sba posted:

@PrescottRossi
Povero identifies Tony Stewart as hitting driver on the track. Driver was transported by ambulance. Driver was dead on arrival.

WELP.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Nit Wit Dog poo poo posted:

Anyone who thinks tony wanted to murder that guy is stupid.

If he is indeed dead.

Wanted to kill him is irrelevant. He killed him, and appeared to intentionally divert to at least scare him. He's going to jail or he's going to kill himself tonight.

Rand McNally
May 20, 2007
poo poo, this is bad.

ebg
Mar 31, 2008

Rand McNally posted:

poo poo, this is bad.

Anything that can knock Browns chat off of Sportscenter right now must be a huge deal

star trek
Apr 7, 2009

Oil! posted:

At most he will get charged for involuntary manslaughter.

His highest punishment will be 3-5 years probation.

Agreed. He will get a great defense attorney and not spend one day in jail. Sorry folks.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

sba posted:

@PrescottRossi

Pretty sure he was dead on hitting the ground.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Teddybear posted:

Wanted to kill him is irrelevant. He killed him, and appeared to intentionally divert to at least scare him. He's going to jail or he's going to kill himself tonight.

Whether he intended to or not is extremely relevant when/if this gets to a criminal trial, for for now there's a dead 20 year old guy and we can sort the legal situation out later.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

"I wasn't very good about not slipping the right-rear tire, initially. So it started as 'Smoker,' then it got shortened to 'Smoke.' Then when I got in the Indy Racing League it was 'Smoke' because one of the guys on the crew who was my roommate, and knew the nickname, carried it over to the IndyCar team. But then when I started blowing engines, 'Smoke' really stuck. I've had it ever since."

Kevin Ward should have known.

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

mods please update thread title by removing 'may have'

It's good to know that in this day and age, Tony Stewart confirmed the scientific hypothesis that if you do not move away from the path of a human being that your racing vehicle will kill them.

Oil!
Nov 5, 2008

Ham Wrangler

star trek posted:

Agreed. He will get a great defense attorney and not spend one day in jail. Sorry folks.

I wouldn't go that far, he will have millions is damages in the civil suit, but I doubt he will spend a night in jail.

Emanuel Collective
Jan 16, 2008

by Smythe
Jim Utter ‏@jim_utter 4m
NEWS: Sources close to Stewart say at this time, Stewart still plans to compete in Sunday's race at Watkins Glen International.

jesus christ

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007

star trek posted:

2nd degree manslaughter is a 3 year minimum sentence in New York (by my understanding).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rand McNally
May 20, 2007

Oil! posted:

I wouldn't go that far, he will have millions is damages in the civil suit, but I doubt he will spend a night in jail.

Does he have a wife? Better start transferring stuff into her name...

• Locked thread