Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
canti32
Apr 27, 2008

Fearless in Devotion, Rising to Promotion,
Rising to the ranks of mighty heroes, Fighting foes in every land,

History only tells a story, We are to see your glory,
Stand aside the Reds are coming,
WREXHAM IS THE NAME
Why does Tony's temper even enter into it? He couldn't have known that he was involved in Wards wreck, Ward was behind him and to the right, which there was no way Tony could have seen him. Unless there was another altercation between the two at some point earlier that no one has said anything about, Stewart has no reason to even know who Ward was, much less be upset enough to try and scare him or sling mud or whatever. Ward walked down into the racing line, in a corner, at night, in a fully black ensemble, on a dirt track, full of sprint cars. Its not that shocking, to me at least, that someone couldn't see him and he was hit. And I agree with whoever said above that if this was any other racer at the track this would be" just a tragic accident", but since it was Tony Stewart, noted hothead, the narrative jumped right to "he must've finally lost it and killed someone".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canti32
Apr 27, 2008

WREXHAM IS THE NAME
If only there was a good guy with a gun...

canti32
Apr 27, 2008

WREXHAM IS THE NAME

NtotheTC posted:

"If Kevin Ward didn't want to die he shouldn't have stood by the side of the track in such a slutty revealing outfit. He was asking for it."

- Most NASCAR fans.

A slutty, revealing outfit would have been better than an all black helmet and firesuit :science:

canti32
Apr 27, 2008

WREXHAM IS THE NAME

Herv posted:

They're talking about a trophy in Ward's memory. Gonna look like this:

:drat:

canti32
Apr 27, 2008

WREXHAM IS THE NAME

WindyMan posted:

So the blue and white 45 saw him enough to dodge him, but Stewart didn't, even though he would have seen the 45 ahead of him dodge something. And him revving the engine was just random, not in response to anyone or anything nearby which he maybe didn't see. Sorry, but that doesn't add up for me. Unless Stewart was Instagramming during caution, I see no justification for "pure accident."

And you're right, we can't know what Smoke was thinking unless/until he explains it from his point of view. However, we shouldn't assume that Stewart is not culpable or not responsible for his actions, either.

ed-

True, and true. I might be blowharding, I don't know. But you know, opinions on the internet

45 didn't dodge him, Ward jumped back at the last second.

canti32
Apr 27, 2008

WREXHAM IS THE NAME
Oh hey a quote from a driver that was right behind Tony during the incident

http://rochester.twcnews.com/content/news/760185/witness-to-tony-stewart-crash-says-driver-could-not-have-avoided-hitting-other-driver/

quote:

"From what I saw, Tony did everything in his power to turn down away from Kevin to avoid him," said sprint car driver Cory Sparks.
Sparks was just a few cars behind Stewart during Saturday's race. He said videos that have been posted online do not give an accurate picture of what happened.

"People say that they heard the engine rev up and he gassed it. In a sprint car, the only way to steer is you steer with the rear wheels as much as you do the steering wheel. In my opinion, what he did was he gassed it to turn down away from him," said Sparks.

canti32
Apr 27, 2008

WREXHAM IS THE NAME

FuzzySkinner posted:

It's also about the money.

He had everything to lose, and really nothing to gain by doing this. At least I could argue running something like "The Chili Bowl" allows one to carry a bit of prestige, and I imagine the risk is substantially lower running an event like the one where his leg broke, and the one where he...you know...killed a guy.

If he wasn't being paid millions of dollars to run cup...

If he wasn't co-running one of the top teams in NASCAR...

If he wasn't trying to build up a short track racing empire..

Then I could understand it. But he's trying to do all of those things.

For reference here's what happened to him LAST SUMMER:

http://www.nascar.com/en_us/news-media/articles/2013/08/06/nascar-tony-stewart-breaks-leg-sprint-car-crash.html

This is the second dumbest thing in this thread.

canti32
Apr 27, 2008

WREXHAM IS THE NAME

FuzzySkinner posted:

There's posts in this thread literally blaming the loving victim.

But yeah me saying that Stewart shouldn't have been racing there in the first place is dumb. :rolleyes:.

"WELL HOW MANY RACECARS HAVE YOU DRIVEN?"

"YOU'RE JUST JEALOUS HE'S NOT RACING IN THE INDY 500" are also equally dumb.

You arguing that Stewart shouldn't be allowed to race whatever he wants because he runs a team/business is dumb. Dude has the money/skill/passion to run three hundred races a year? loving let him, it's his life.

Also it's not blaming a victim to point out that maybe that dude shouldn't have left the safety of his car to run into traffic because he was mad. He did something stupid, people are pointing it out.

The Indy 500 thing was pretty stupid though

canti32
Apr 27, 2008

WREXHAM IS THE NAME

FuzzySkinner posted:

Ward's family had to bury their son. Stewart just has to live with the guilt of this all his life.

Why are we ASSUMING things here?

Why are you assuming Stewart is guilty?

canti32
Apr 27, 2008

WREXHAM IS THE NAME

fuseshock posted:

One man's opinion. I agree with his opinion he should not race in the lower series, much like how everyone absolutely hates the buschwhackers. Sure, he can do what he wants, we can't change what he does.

But it's not a "lower series", its a completely different style of racing. It's like saying that the AFL is a lower series of the NFL.

canti32
Apr 27, 2008

WREXHAM IS THE NAME

CBJSprague24 posted:

NASCAR just added a rule about staying in the car until safety workers arrive to their mythical rulebook.

Do you think they would take away points if let's say Kurt Busch got himself run over and killed? Or just put him on probation til Dec. 31st?

canti32
Apr 27, 2008

WREXHAM IS THE NAME

90-95% sure that is a hoax. That entire website looks really suspicious, and some of the linked articles read like an awful onion imitation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canti32
Apr 27, 2008

WREXHAM IS THE NAME

NtotheTC posted:

I actually quoted the UK law at the person that specifically mentioned UK law. I think you're being a bit precious about it regardless, it's hardly thread-closingly irrelevant to highlight that Tony would be considered a murderer for doing what he did in most countries had it been a deliberate act.

e: You were also wrong.

If it was a deliberate act he would be considered a murderer here in the States as well :eng101:

You're either an idiot or desperate for attention at this point.

• Locked thread