Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

limeincoke posted:

I've never watched NASCAR or any other race before, and yeah that seemed really weird to me. Like the second he got out and started walking in front of cars shaking his fists I got that horror movie "something bad is going to happen to the dumb person investigating the noise in the basement" vibe.

Drivers go on track like that to show they're pissed at someone like, every weekend in NASCAR and in all other forms of American oval racing. It just happened in yesterday's NASCAR race, even. It has never, ever at any point in history, resulted in something like this, because generally speaking race car drivers are not idiot manchildren who use their cars as weapons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

ch3cooh posted:

How many local officials do you think the France's are bribing right now?

None, money means everything to NASCAR and there's no way their sponsors will be cool with Stewart racing tomorrow. Regardless of whether he is at the track, the chances of him actually racing are pretty much zero, even if he never gets charged for this.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

davecrazy posted:

Playing devil's advocate here, I think some of you guys may be quickly jumping to some yet unfounded conclusions. I'm not saying whether he intentionally hit him or if it was an accident, but I wouldn't say it's definitively clear either way from that video.

Stewart's well-known road rage will certainly work against him as people form opinions. But the kid also did position himself very close to Stewart's car, and from reading about these cars, apparently the back naturally fishtails as you're going through turns. Considering that it was the right rear tire that hit him, it's very plausible that it was an accident, the product of the kid getting very close to the car and the right rear fishtailing as Stewart drove past him in the turn. That being said, there's also an argument that could be made that Stewart knew the car would fishtail and hit him as he got close, but that's also a bit speculative. Let's wait and see how the investigation plays out.

You must have missed the part where he audibly got on the gas hard as he approached the guy.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

MaoistBanker posted:

Welp, the media narrative is settling nicely on "tragic accident" - and I'm sure Stewart will claim he was attempting to avoid Ward (backed by talking heads repeating that Ward should have never rushed to the middle of the track in the first place) and made a fatal error.

It doesn't matter what the media narrative is, what matters is what conclusions the authorities come to.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Nit Wit Dog poo poo posted:

So you believe tony Stewart meant to kill someone?

"I didn't mean to shoot him in the face, I was just firing a warning shot and missed"

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Gargoyle posted:

Second off, to say it's somehow intentional is bull. to the unfamiliars of dirt track racing, you steer with the throttle. He wasn't 'Revving his engine', it has no clutch, the driver already had to sidestep to miss one car, then he took a long step inwards to Tony's. He was expecting Tony to stop so he could yell/hit/shake him for damaging his race car. Tony didn't have the intention of stopping before the driver stepped inward. It's awful both ways.

Every other car was way lower on the race track than Stewart was, sorry dude but this excuse does not fly.

And yes I'm very familiar to dirt track racing. People don't gun it under yellow like that unless they're catching up to the back of the field (or murdering someone).

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Gargoyle posted:

First off you're implying he murdered someone

You're implying that the kid expected Stewart to stop, I think that's a lot dumber tbh.

And for what it's worth no I don't think Stewart meant to hit him, intent is irrelevant to what happened.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

LOSS posted:

Do these cars have telemetry? If they have it should be easier to prove if Stewart deliberately revved up to scare the kid, or if it was just an accident.

Nah, these cars don't have any sort of telemetry. However, if Stewart did have a Go Pro on his car like some people are suggesting, that would probably tell the story.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

CactusWeasle posted:

What, exactly, do you think would absolve Tony from responsibility in this case?

maybe there was a ghost pressing the gas pedal, or maybe ward was pointing a gun at stewart and it was just self-defense.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

VH4Ever posted:

That's a good decision that the team made but the mere fact that the co-owner had to be talked out of this after he, intentionally or unintentionally, killed someone is fairly indicative of...something. Call it a lack of conscience or a general tone deafness, in my opinion something is off in that man's head that he saw nothing wrong with racing today and had no feelings of his own telling him not to. If it were me I wouldn't be able to.

In his defense, in the outside chance that this was a freak accident and he had done literally nothing wrong, he probably would have been in a completely hosed state of mind following what happened. It's very believable that he'd make an irrational decision, wake up and realize that there are a million reasons to not get in the car.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

cname posted:

Anyone over the age of 10 who runs around on a race track really doesn't sound like someone who I wanna ever have to associate with, in any way.

So then, pretty much every American race car driver? Cool.

Can we please ban every stupid motherfucker who knows absolutely nothing about motorsports of any kind from posting in this thread, jesus christ.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

cname posted:

You say this as though the odds are the same in both situations.

Well in the last 23 years, 25 NASCAR drivers have died on-track. Of those, 0 were out of their cars.

I guess you're right, the odds aren't the same at all.

Cojawfee posted:

What kind of racing are you watching where every driver gets out and runs around on a live track? Sounds like it's really lovely if the drivers have nothing better to do than getting out of their car.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nd5O24m5iuo

That happened on the same loving day, even.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

cname posted:

Dirt track + he was right loving there! He wasn't off to the side! He was actively trying to get in the direct way of traffic!

I saw both versions of this post before you edited it. It's nice to see idiots who don't know what the gently caress they are talking about pivot like this :allears:

e: and you edited it even further. Give it up, you are clueless.

e2: AND A FOURTH TIME. Jesus christ dude just gently caress off already.

DEEP STATE PLOT fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Aug 11, 2014

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Cojawfee posted:

You're right man. Every American race car driver does this all the time without dying. It's all Tony Stewart's fault.

This is pretty much true in NASCAR and even more so on the local dirt tracks, so I'm not sure what you are suggesting :confused:

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

VikingSkull posted:

Cubey has hated Stewart for years, since he probably won't disclose that fact himself here.

What the gently caress? I've been a Stewart fan since he was in IndyCar. I can't even imagine where the gently caress you got that idea from but it's dead wrong.

Cojawfee posted:

I'm suggesting that you are an actual retard.

Take it up with NASCAR then, considering they even use examples in their own promotional footage, especially for short track races.

Again, a driver did that on Saturday in the NASCAR race, the same day Ward was killed. I'm sorry you seem to have such a hard time accepting facts.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

cname posted:

I'm curious about this as well. Did he know what happened, or did the pit crew have to inform him? I'm sure his eyes were focused on the inside of the track, while the kid was struck by the outside wheel(s).

He stopped his car on the backstretch separately from every other car, and sprint cars do not have radios. Yes he knew what happened, don't be dense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Billy the Mountain posted:

Kid tried to grab onto Tonys car, you can see his arm on the original video reaching up trying to garb the wing. He slips, goes under the wheel, no matter what tony did the guy was going to die.

I am not at all convinced that he was trying to grab onto the car rather than putting his arm out instinctively when he saw a car barreling at him.

• Locked thread