Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

2018 Indianapolis 500 Winner

Do we really need two threads? The NASCAR thread is on top of this and most discussion that I would trust is in there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

RumbleFish posted:

Jesus Christ, what the gently caress. Hopefully most of this is just Twitter-inflated bullshit and not as serious as it appears.

No many eyewitness reports saw and heard Stewart slam the throttle kicking his car out and :nms: running him over and then sending him flying.:nms: Yeah with how things are slowly coming out and not getting dismissed, Stewart is completely hosed.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

Brogeoisie posted:

I mean, isn't Stewart notorious for petty fights that get out of control and trying to wreck other drivers? What did they think would happen?

Was. He has calmed down a lot from 10 years ago where every week he would get his rear end into trouble. Now it's like once a year... so he was due for his temper to blow, but this is pretty loving stupid he did.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

No one wants to touch this with a 10 ft long pole. All of this is really fuzzy except Stewart hit a guy. I don't think ESPN wants to say anything dumb or Fox say anymore than an accident happened.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

grack posted:

So from what I've read, most of the people even somewhat connected to the sport are saying Stewart did it on purpose, based on how the cars react mechanically. Am I getting that right?

Yeah under caution I don't think you just slam the throttle around another driver on track and kick the car out since I'm going to guess those cars are upwards of 700 hp and in dirt, the wheels are just going to slide outwards.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

Rand McNally posted:

Tony, you loving moron. There are no words. I thought he was an idiot with anger management issues before, but this escalated quickly. Ward shouldn't have approached the car or even gotten out on a caution, but there's no reason for this.

Ward's car got pinched by Stewart thereby spinning and I think also flipped a few times. His car was finished though not smart to approach a guy in a powerful machine, but that shouldn't excuse Smoke at all for what he did.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

Yeah very blatant what he did. He's up poo poo creek.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

limeincoke posted:

I've never watched NASCAR or any other race before, and yeah that seemed really weird to me. Like the second he got out and started walking in front of cars shaking his fists I got that horror movie "something bad is going to happen to the dumb person investigating the noise in the basement" vibe.

Many times drivers pissed at other drives have walked right to the car that they're pissed at and showed their displeasure. Not a phenomenon but not a great idea to do at all.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

Gargoyle posted:

Also saw this, relevant.

Barely an excuse. Tony knew that car wrecked there so he should have taken precaution in that area to begin with. That and seeing probably a figure ahead of you into that turn gesturing wildly to you. But again, Ward may have gotten too close and Stewart was being way too close.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

VikingSkull posted:

Tim Richmond prolly woulda killed a dude eventually

he might've, anyway

With how NASCAR white washes poo poo, they thought he would've killed a guy by simply being in a garage having AIDS.

VikingSkull posted:

tbh my gut reaction was that he totally killed a guy in a fit of rage

Same here. I've calmed down and see it's just a tragic accident. I still want to wait until what all the videos and evidence have to say that we can deduct if Ward was an idiot trying to do some GTA type of poo poo or they were both staying too close to each other.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

CBJSprague24 posted:

If you're new to NASCAR, the rule considers smoke in the cockpit as an extenuating circumstance which allows a driver to get out of the car. In theory, tire smoke could count, which is common in crashes.

This is an example of how NASCAR has mastered the art of "taking action" while not actually taking action.

Someone does a burnout intentionally to get out and throw a helmet at someone, that'll be great and I want someone to do that. Come on a week from now someone does that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

beejay posted:

When Tony inevitably continues his murderous rampage overseas he is going to need to know the ins and outs. What he really needs to do is organize a race in international waters.

Last time that happened he ended up in a jail in Australia.

• Locked thread