Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Cojawfee posted:

What kind of racing are you watching where every driver gets out and runs around on a live track?

I was about to say that I cant find where that's actually illegal under the for example FIA sporting code, but I did eventually find driver conduct that covers it. It's not as obvious or as covered as you would have thought. The actual schedules covering this are rather vague.

In general a person be it a driver or official is not allowed on a live track except for the express permission of race control, this also includes life threatening situations. Drivers have been charged for being on a live track contrary to race control's direction and Ward should / would have been charged for this if the sanctioning authority has rules covering this situation.

But all in all, I'm surprised how vague the sporting codes are over drivers being on a live track - in other situations where a driver has had a fit of rage and advanced towards a competitors car on a live track, the charge is as far as I have seen, conduit contrary to the image of the sport (that covers fighting, throwing helmets at cars etc) rather than under acting in a manner dangerous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

cname posted:

See, there you go. It's against the rules, so he shouldn't have done it.

You missed the point, that being that even the FIA has no truly formalized rules over driver ingress onto a live track (as I said, they are vague at best) and that actually raises the question exactly ARE the rules about drivers exiting cars on a live track on this course. Also that when a driver has been charged for ingress on a live track, in general the charge wasn't acting in a manner dangerous. There have been charges for that, but in the main, it's acting in a manner contrary to the image of the sport.

You can bet money the coroner will be asking that question and so will the police. It will also be quite important in any civil case.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Solkanar512 posted:

There was a full course caution on at the time, right? If so, that supports this idea.

As far as I can see, Stewart didn't actually nerf the guy into the wall, he did what is a fairly typical pass on a dirt oval and there was utterly nothing malicious or even intentional in Stewart's driving. Ward basically got squeezed and had a pretty typical unassisted crash - it looks like the very definition of racing incident.

The more I see and hear about this,

quote:

At this point I would say the only thing Tony might be guilty of is not paying close enough attention to the situation.

Looks to be right.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Trin Tragula posted:

I'd bet that this is purely because nobody ever thought a driver in an FIA event would be so utterly stupid as to do anything on a live course other than get the gently caress off it as quickly as possible, so they don't need a specific rule to tell you exactly what to do if it happens. It'd be like inserting a rule that says what you should do if the driver's cockpit should suddenly become filled with custard and traps him there with its non-Newtonian properties.

Ummm...... you do know drivers entering a live track has a long and sometimes fatal history at all levels of motorsport, right?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

leica posted:

Why is everyone assuming that Tony even knew what the gently caress was going on? He could have been completely clueless until he was right on top of the guy for all we know.

I think I said something along those lines earlier. I dont even think Stewart knew Ward had crashed until he saw the wreck. And as for actually seeing anyone on the track -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjYudmrySiw

Have a look at some incar of a Sprintcar - it's really amazing these guys can work out anything.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6AHPvhe3NM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82-cdmncXf4

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

The Locator posted:

Interesting, as one of the local sprint car drivers here was talking about this on Tuesday, and said that after watching the video a bunch of times, he thought that maybe Ward had grabbed the wing to try to jump on the nerf bar, missed and got sucked under - either badly misjudging the speed of the car, or just being a dumb kid making a terrible decision. Of course he's just one more guy speculating, but given that he's driven Sprints for 15 years (and isn't much of a NASCAR fan, to put it kindly) I thought his speculation had a bit more weight than say, Cowherd and co.

The second angle should tell the story if it doesn't pan away as the 45 car passes.

Huh. Not quite enough to say yes but it does look possible.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

FuzzySkinner posted:

It's also about the money.

He had everything to lose, and really nothing to gain by doing this. At least I could argue running something like "The Chili Bowl" allows one to carry a bit of prestige, and I imagine the risk is substantially lower running an event like the one where his leg broke, and the one where he...you know...killed a guy.

If he wasn't being paid millions of dollars to run cup...

If he wasn't co-running one of the top teams in NASCAR...

If he wasn't trying to build up a short track racing empire..

Then I could understand it. But he's trying to do all of those things.

For reference here's what happened to him LAST SUMMER:

http://www.nascar.com/en_us/news-media/articles/2013/08/06/nascar-tony-stewart-breaks-leg-sprint-car-crash.html

So...

How many cars have you raced? I'm guessing none becuase you would never have posted that utter tripe otherwise.

(Going fast with lots of hp on a dirt is a fuckton of fun, what ever loving reason do you need?)

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Mahoning posted:

I have, I'm just more willing to believe the people quoted in the article I read. It was a lot more technically and scientifically detailed than "Trust me, I've driven these things. Thing I say is true."

You are seriously trying to say throwing one of these cars into a corner at 160 kph is easier than tooling around at 65kph? And you are trying to say a guy that has actual experience knows less than some article? Or the current or retired motorracers that know a thing or two also are wrong?

Yeaaaah no.

Wobbly and dont want to track straight at low speeds? Absolutly. More difficult? Think about how utterly absurd that claim is for a moment. You as some random person could drive them at 65kph. Now. what do oyu think the chances are of you making one lap at 160kph?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Cojawfee posted:

Some cars only work well when at race speed. Take a high level formula car. You can trundle it around slowly or you can drive it really fast. There's no in between. If you don't go fast enough for the aero to work, then it won't turn very well. If you don't go fast enough to get heat in the tires in the corners, you won't have any grip. If you aren't going fast enough when you use the brakes, they won't ever heat up and they won't work. You have to drive faster than what you think is safe to be safe. I've never driven a sprint car, but I'd assume it's about the same. When it's not doing the thing it was intended to do, it doesn't handle well.

Read what I was responding to. And yes, there is an absolutle world of difference between 65kph and 160 kph in one of those things esp on a oval.

What IS correct to say is that trying to half arse it wont go well and that's whats the discussion about race car dynamics refers to wether a car is a bitch to drive at less that 100%, not wether you can tool around. There is zero denying you have to really go hard to generate the maximum, but to say that at a slow cruise they are more difficult to drive is BS.

Try throwing any car in at 160kph and..... well.... You'll see my point pretty quickly.

• Locked thread