Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

projecthalaxy posted:

boomer gonna cry?

Sorry, not sorry, for thinking this particular spot of commentary is grating as all hell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0c_UiWpBAA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

IGgy IGsen posted:

There's also a lot of misinformation going around regarding the departure of Yuke's from 2k. Truth be told, the best we have is hearsay. The most we got anyone to talk about it was 2k who claimed that they let Yuke's let go due to what can best be described as creative friction. 2k seemed to have demanded features found in other games they published. They never said what those were but I'm guessing at least one of those were microtransactions because that was just a thing that started finding its way into games in a really aggressive way a few years earlier. I never played a different 2k sports game so I don't know what kind of other features they have that they might have wanted to translate into their wrestling game.

I don't think Yuke's themselves said anything aside from "we're also working on another game" (Battlegrounds, many assume, but could also be something of their own that is now turning into the AEW game, most likely) shortly before 2k and Yuke's split.

2K Sports games (not that there are very many of them, not since they lost the NFL and MLB licenses) have relied heavily upon microtransactions since, I think, 2012? It wouldn't be surprising in the slightest if they were pushing on Yuke's to include more microtransactions and season passes and whatnot (which are a huge component of the NBA 2K games, have been since '12 or '13). 2K Sports is very proud of how it took EA's Ultimate Team mode from the Madden series and then expanded it into a huge ancillary moneymaker with the NBA franchise.

Also, Yuke's needed a break from the yearly WWE churn and turned out the two Earth Defense Force games and has been working very slowly and deliberately on the AEW game. That being said, what little footage we've seen makes it rather clear they're still building the AEW game with an iteration of the WWE 2K engine, so the game's ability to actually be, y'know, good is very much an open question.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Golden Bee posted:

Santino and Finley could be Zombified if you controlled the undertaker’s urn.

SmackDown vs. Raw 2009. "Press X to do magic." :lol:

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

NikkolasKing posted:

I don't even remember all the wrestling games I played as a kid. I really wanna try and remember this one Sega Genesis game I had which I remember mainly because it had the wrestlers' theme songs. You'd pick a wrestler and a pic of them would come up on a "TV screen" and you'd hear their music. I loved that.

WWF Super WrestleMania was on both the Genesis and Super Nintendo and it did that, so that might be it.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Drakkel posted:

Probably a placeholder date to be honest

Almost certainly, as pretty much all games that aren't first-party Nintendo releases drop on Tuesdays (Nintendo likes to release on Fridays).

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Silly Burrito posted:

Now that you say that I remember it, but he wasn’t as fat as that model, Jesus.

He did have a really bad roid / beer gut in late 2020.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Bonk posted:

Game development has a pipeline, and if parts of the pipeline get jammed (delays, changes, corporate fuckery, etc.), there's only so much the teams can work on the core game before they have to work on something else in the meantime. If the current deliverable is done until the pipeline is clear, they don't just idly work more on the already compiled version.

I honestly wonder if there were budget concerns--THQ Nordic and its parent company, Embracer Group, are having well-published money troubles--and there were times when payments from THQ to Yuke's were late or just didn't come at certain points. It would explain why the game is so bare-bones after having been in development since 2020.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Kennel posted:

I suppose it's possible that THQ Nordic/Embracer is there doing functional publishing stuff (watching deadlines, external testing, making deals with Sony/Nintendo/etc, handling physical copies, and so on), while majority of the funding comes from AEW.

This is almost never how licensed game development works.

So, let's take Madden, for example. (Or even the most recent WWE 2K games.) Using the 2K games as an example: Take-Two (2K's parent company) and 2K fork out a fee, be it one-time or annually, for the WWE license. As the publisher, 2K contracts with Visual Concepts to produce a 2K game annually. 2K then writes checks to Visual Concepts (usually quarterly or when certain milestones are met) to keep the lights on and keep everyone being paid. Then the game is released, and WWE and 2K Games split revenues and royalties between each other. But WWE doesn't actually do any direct funding of development.

This is why so many game development studios collapse after finally shipping a product, because they don't have any further contracted work to do. And so much of Fight Forever feels terribly under-baked, like Road to Elite and the CAW suite.

That's my concern with Embracer Group's ongoing disaster, because they're shuttering labels and studios left and right. Pretty much everyone who made Volition games great, for example, saw the writing on the wall when Embracer bought them five years ago and left for greener pastures.

Timby fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Jul 2, 2023

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Astro7x posted:

Miss when WCW Mayhem had those PPV codes that built the card for you. But they were still missing key roster members.

I remember that WCW Mayhem accomplished the seemingly impossible task of being more loving broken than the Acclaim WWF / ECW games.

And then Backstage Assault was released and we really found out how bad it could get.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Basic Chunnel posted:

You see it a lot with real world mods that seek a certain kind of realism in representation which doesn’t line up with the game’s internal logic. Sort of like the way Ghandi was infamous for starting nuclear wars in old Civ games.

This is an urban legend, there was no aggression bug in Civ 1.