Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pressedbunny
May 31, 2007

To A Brand New Galaxy

Valeyard posted:

I will buy 2k15, the first time I have bought a WWE game in years. And it is going to own.
There's no reason to expect 2k15 to "own." It's a new publisher but the same old developer, and two months away from release and they've only shown a couple of screenshots. Hell, they announced pre-order stuff before even the first screenshot was put out there. That is not an encouraging sign of a publisher with faith in their product. So far, 2k15 is following the build up of most games that turn out to be utter dreck. It's also stuck in the position of being the first title on the latest hardware, which traditionally means it'll be stripped back, load slowly, have a dodgy frame rate and be riddled with bugs.

That's not to say it can't possibly be good, but adjust your expectations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pressedbunny
May 31, 2007

To A Brand New Galaxy

Basic Chunnel posted:

The music thing was something that caught Sony by surprise and they've been assuring us it will patch in since launch
No time frame on that, though, and even if it's something added to the console later this game may well not support it as it's not been an option during development and launch. It's a safe bet for 2k16, but this year it's very unlikely to be supported.

pressedbunny
May 31, 2007

To A Brand New Galaxy
I was wondering if CM Punk (and now, ADR) would be in. They usually lock the roster in place around WrestleMania, but have started development before then. Oh well, make the most of it, won't get this again next year...

pressedbunny
May 31, 2007

To A Brand New Galaxy

Astro7x posted:

How is this game 2 months away, and they haven't shown anything from it aside from some still images?

Because the publisher doesn't have confidence in their product. That is, nine times out of ten, why a game is barely shown off this close to release. When pre-order incentives are announced before even the first screen shots were put out, that is a huge, flashing warning sign that the publisher thinks actually showing the game in motion is not the best way to sell the product.

Also, one of the earlier games had the opening tie-up stuff, too, and it royally sucked. Same with the stamina systm, obviously; even in WWE2k14 they had the stamina system, but it was left off by default because they knew it was so hated every other year.

Again, I'm not saying there is no chance of the game being good, but adjust your expectations, people, because so far all signs point to a bad game.

pressedbunny
May 31, 2007

To A Brand New Galaxy

Daniel Bryan posted:

Gameplay video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwvVRqMIrWs

It's a better looking 2K14.
So they said you'll be starting off with this chain wrestling and literally the first thing the guy does is a running grapple powerslam. When they do get to the chain grappling it's really just the same QTE bollocks they tried in an earlier game.

I appreciate having a HUD and obviously it does look nicer, but wow is this basically the same old game.

pressedbunny
May 31, 2007

To A Brand New Galaxy
RE: WWE2k15 roster talk: they're almost certainly putting NXT in, at least to some extent. Leaked concept screenshots showed Sami Zayn and last year's game had movesets for Paige, Charlotte, Tyler Breeze and Adrian Neville added in as part of a DLC move expansion. Of course the core game already had an NXT arena skin and the title belts, too, so it makes sense that this game would at least have some kind of expansion upon that, even if they don't include absolutely everybody.

pressedbunny
May 31, 2007

To A Brand New Galaxy

triplexpac posted:

Are you sure you're not thinking of those fan-made concepts?
One was casually corroborated by an ex-Destructoid guy who's in tight with 2K, so while it's not the same as a signed NDA from the desk of the CEO of 2K, it's more than just a random fan mock-up on tumblr.

pressedbunny
May 31, 2007

To A Brand New Galaxy

Roman Reigns posted:

Another video on 2k15

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMOyTqeMPeM

If you have any doubts that this won't be a reskinned 2k14 welp
I like the broken chair legs floating on the middle rope. We've even still got the same wonky physics, hooray!

pressedbunny
May 31, 2007

To A Brand New Galaxy

Gaz-L posted:

Even if you assume the selection screen doesn't section off Divas like in the recent games,
Allegedly, Divas, managers and DLC people are all in their own sections. If correct, that leaves even more space open for NXT people.

pressedbunny
May 31, 2007

To A Brand New Galaxy
Just got on this. Getting a rare Lesnar and rare Heyman has put me on a 40-win streak. This game is a better sim than WWE2k15 could ever hope to be!

pressedbunny
May 31, 2007

To A Brand New Galaxy
I've spent the last hour building up, combining and building up again a Pro SR Cameron.

This is it, this is the lowest point of my life.

pressedbunny
May 31, 2007

To A Brand New Galaxy
They claim they've redone almost all the commentary but they just couldn't fit that into the short demo build that hs been doing the rounds.

That said, we're coming up to releae and they've had the nerve to release still screenshots and pre-order details but they still will not release any official gameplay footage. The fact that every match has been taken via phone camera off the gamescom show floor should give you a big red flashing warning sign that neither developer nor publisher has any faith in this game at all.

pressedbunny
May 31, 2007

To A Brand New Galaxy
:laffo: Van Dam's face after the guy says "signature expressions." Yup, looks about right.

Nice to see they've put some effort into making the commentary as annoying as it is in reality, despite missing JBL.

"It's a completely different game" is clearly bullshit though, as can be seen in any of the footage people have nabbed of the demo at gamescom. It may be much prettier than before, but there's a clear reason why 2K haven't released any gameplay footage officially.

pressedbunny
May 31, 2007

To A Brand New Galaxy
Nah, they confirmed NXT being in ages ago. It's part of the career mode, where you start out in NXT and work your way up. They didn't confirm any particular people at the time, but given that Neville, Zayn and Paige's movesets were added in last year as DLC, and there was an NXT arena skin and belts, it was always pretty much a given that NXT would have some kind of presence in this year.

pressedbunny
May 31, 2007

To A Brand New Galaxy
Delays for games on new hardware are nothing special, I don't think any games other than first-party ones actually launch on their initial announced release date. I suspect they're not bothering to delay the 360 and PS3 versions because they don't give the slightest poo poo about the old-gen.

pressedbunny
May 31, 2007

To A Brand New Galaxy
Other than the stuff with the Wyatts, yup, that sure was a whole lot of nothing special. With Kid Rock!

pressedbunny
May 31, 2007

To A Brand New Galaxy
Custom entrance animations should be entirely possible, but how good they will be is another matter. Back in the day it'd take me a good month or so to do the animations for a weapon model in Counter-Strike, and that was a far more simple system and much more simple movements. Granted, I'm sure there are better tools now and of course there are people far better at animating now than I ever was 12+ years ago, but I still can't imagine a semi-good entrance animation taking any less than a few months to create, let alone something good enough to fit in amongst the proper motion captured entrances. An entrance animation is not a crazy notion but it would be such a time investment that I doubt you'll see anything even semi-good being made within the first six months.

Custom moves could well happen, especially tweaks of what the create-a-finisher mode allows. Those surely have to be saved somewhere so opening up whatever that animation file happens to be and modifying from there should be straight-forward.

Arena modding probably will happen quickly because that's a static model (and the games themselves have arena creation modes). I'd be surprised to see anything like a crowd overhaul, but recreations of the Nitro set or the Smackdown fist set or whatever should be easy.

Wrestler modding/creation/reskinning is inevitable as that's just a case of someone releasing the game's animation skeleton. Again, it'll take time before you see the better models and skins, but it'll certainly happen. Hell, people already worked out how to do this with the console verions of the last game (and many other games), with the game running on PC natively it should be a piece of piss to get started. If you look at how people are able to take characters from fighting games and basically paste them into other games, adding or replacing wrestlers in this shouldn't be an issue.

Audio/video replacement is as basic as modding gets so that'll probably be on the cards within the first couple of weeks after release, I would expect.

pressedbunny
May 31, 2007

To A Brand New Galaxy
In 2k14 you can't have two people playing locally online, no. No word yet on what online modes/options will be in 2k15.

pressedbunny
May 31, 2007

To A Brand New Galaxy
gently caress you for making me remember Hugh G Rection.

pressedbunny
May 31, 2007

To A Brand New Galaxy
Rusev is indeed in the most recent trailer.

pressedbunny
May 31, 2007

To A Brand New Galaxy

Basic Chunnel posted:

I'm about as bullish on these games as anybody but really, if they fudge the match scoring system just a bit or the AI doesn't accommodate it, it will break the career mode severely.
In WWE2k14 the Beat The Streak mode scores your matches in a way which is simialr to what this career mode stuff sounds like. You score more points the more near falls there are, finisher reversals, variation of moves, length of the match, etc.

Problem was, the AI for Undertaker at WrestleMania was so purposefully broken that the developers forced the matches to always be no-DQ, as beating him without resorting to spamming weapon attacks was impossible. People thought this would gently caress up the match scoring system... but no, there were no negative points. You can wail on him for half an hour straight with the ring bell and score hundreds of thousand more points than somebody who wrestles a competitive match. It simply counted the number of attacks in a match by either character + time of the match + finishers, with a bonus for reversing the Tombstone. Spamming moves (or weapons) didn't lower your score and the more you just dragged it out wialing on him, the higher the score would multiply because of the time factor. The highest-scoring people are the ones who were happy to just sit for a couple of hours straight doing nothing but whacking 'Takers knees with sledgehammers.

Now, they may have gone for a more refined system, this time. They may have introduced point deductions for a bad match. They may have adjusted the scaling. They may have completely rewritten how it works and the career match ratings might have nothing in common with the match ratings of WWE2k14.
But they have hosed this up before, so~

pressedbunny
May 31, 2007

To A Brand New Galaxy
PS4 is having some form of media transfer added in... eventually. There is absolutely no word on when it will be added, how it will work or if games will be able to make use of it. And of course even if it's added fairly soon and games can use it, it would be up to the developers of already-existing games to patch this functionality into their games. (Including WWE2k15.) But Sony has acknowledged the requests for it.

pressedbunny
May 31, 2007

To A Brand New Galaxy
The core gameplay is more or less the same. Slight control tweaks, but it's the same for all intents and purposes; basic grapples, strong grapples, very spammable strikes, finishers based on building up a meter. I played all the games along the way, so I'm not sure how much of a jump it will feel to go directly from SvR to 2k14, but I imagine it won't feel too alien.

2k15 is only a month or so away now, though, so if you've got a PS4 or One (or PC?) you may be better off waiting for that. 2k14 is hilariously buggy, and one would hope 2k15 at least fixes that.

pressedbunny
May 31, 2007

To A Brand New Galaxy

triplexpac posted:

I'd say no, especially considering the media blitz that other WWE games had.

Then again maybe 2K is just cheap and doesn't want to bribe IGN like THQ did.
They did have a deal with IGN. IGN was due to have a solid month of constant exclusives, at least two features per week. For whatever reason, 2K backed out of their deal after the first episode and they've had nothing to show since.

It's not just a case of wanting or not wanting to deal with specific outlets, either. Talking to people who write for a few sites (can't name names for obvious reasons, and yes, I know how dubious that makes everything sound) it seems like 2k just straight-up don't want to talk to anybody about the game. Look at how the first official video was just the same couple of screenshots being panned over and the first 'gameplay' video is mostly entrances (recycled from last year) and a couple of one-off moves. The only thing they'll talk about is how much better their graphics engine is compared to the last couple of games'. Apparently, requests for more info or interviews have bene met with total silence for multiple outlets and nobody has been able to confirm if they'll get a review copy yet, which is a really bad sign as that usually means 2K will be waiting until the very last couple of days before letting reviewers get to it. (And no doubt there will be an embargo on reviews so nothing goes up before the game is on sale.)

Did I not mention I played it a little at EGX a couple of weekends ago? Because I did and it plays exactly the same as WWE2k14. The chain grapple QTE thing came up once—after I'd already started the match with a big running attack, obviously—and the stamina system didn't seem to function any differently to the previous version, as far as I could tell; do a few moves, you get tired, hold a button to rest a little, keep on trucking. Animations changed a bit to indicate when wrestlers are tired, but again, same stuff we've seen before. (The guy at the booth told me the stamina system could be turned off if you want, as can the chain grappling; I know I'll be turning them off right away.)
In terms of the actual function and flow of gameplay, everything is more or less the same. Your first five moves in the match may be more restricted and you may have to put up with some slower animations once you've run around a bit, but I was still spamming gut kicks, throwing strong grapples out over and over and one finisher and it was done. I did notice a few finer touches like the ring and wrestlers now look more like they're the right size in comparison to each other, the turnbuckle climbing animation having several variations depending on how you approach it and strong grapples don't need to be set up now other than ensuring the target is already hurt/tired, but nothing game-changing.
Don't know if they had the demo set to easy or normal or whatever, but essentially it didn't feel any different. With more time I'd probably notice more things—I didn't try any 'OMG' stuff or whatever—but first impressions, at least, were that this is indeed a prettier 2k14.

pressedbunny
May 31, 2007

To A Brand New Galaxy
I asked about legends and the NXT roster, was told they couldn't tell me but there would be an announcement before the game is out. (Which essentially means "gently caress knows!")
Didn't think to ask about Universe or the career mode. I would guess it'll operate exactly the same as before because if they're not going to do much for the gameplay I don't know why they'd put much work into a booking sim.

pressedbunny
May 31, 2007

To A Brand New Galaxy
This just dropped

No surprise there is an extensive DLC plan and Season Pass before the game is out or had much of a public demo. It also won't be a surprise when all this 'DLC' turns out to already be on the disc, locked away, as it was last year. (And the year before.)

So yeah, more rivalry story things + Paige.

pressedbunny
May 31, 2007

To A Brand New Galaxy
Sting's being ransomed as a pre-order bonus and last year it was Ultimate Warrior and The Outsiders. I can't say I expected it to be Paige, as I thought she'd be part of the NXT roster, but it is absolutely no surprise that they'd hold a popular character hostage to shift more Season Pass sales.

At this rate I wonder why they don't just let everybody have all this stuff from the get-go and simply raise the price of the game to begin with. I'd rather be ripped off up-front than loving about with this Season Pass bullshit which may as well be mandatory anyway.

edit: full disclosure: I'm especially bitter because Paige is the one thing that will get me to buy this day 1 without question and I'm going to absolutely hate myself for doing it.

pressedbunny
May 31, 2007

To A Brand New Galaxy
The 'Season Pass' model exists because publishers do not expect people will want to buy all the DLC anyway, so the 'discount' it includes doesn't actually impact their projected revenue and they get more money faster than if everybody bought the few pieces of DLC they want as they're released. Selling four things for the price of three is better than people only buying two. Just like pre-orders, it is a system which only benefits the publisher and is of no value to the consumer, unless holding content to ransom can be considered value. Holding back a character who can easily be argued to be critical as part of that Season Pass is simply additional strongarming to further guarantee additional revenue for the publisher. It's a filthy tactic and definitely is a new low, but even if Paige was part of the regular roster, any Season Pass system is a dirty practice.

But yes, it completely works. Just like they get away with reskinning the same tired game every year, just as MMO games still get away with inflated subscription models and the same way fighting games can be re-released over and over with increasing 'Ultra' editions for the lifespan of a hardware generation. There are so few alternatives available to consumers, publishers can force just about anything they wish. WWE2k15 will be a top-seller, I hear pre-order numbers are already the highest they've been in years and the Season Pass will be bought by almost everybody. We can scream 'til we're blue in the face, but utlimately if we want to play the game we've got to take all their bullshit. The days of unlocking things by completing tasks within a game are long gone. We pay up or we get an inferior game, those are our options.

Bhester posted:

Or will she be the free compatibility DLC?
Nope. The wording is explicit and the same as they used in previous years: the only way to get her is to buy the Season Pass, which means committing a large lump sum for all the DLC, regardless of whether you want all that DLC and, most often, before you're able to know what all that DLC is. They have no need for any kind of 'compatibility' DLC because all this content is always already on every disc to begin with. (As it was last year, and the year before that.)
Sting may be made available later, as Ultimate Warrior was. They mostly have to do this because they can't secure the same pre-order bonuses and systems in every region. There's no way Paige will be made available any other way, though. The Outsiders were never put out other than as part of the Season Pass, though we did get Virgil for free!

Skunkrocker posted:

Not essential multi time Divas champion.
Who's on the show every single week, if not multiple times per week.
And on every PPV since her debut.
And is one of their primary meet-n-greet/touring attractions.
And who has more merchandise than most of the male roster.

I mean okay, sure, I'm biased as all gently caress, but it really is bizarre to think somebody that prominent in the product isn't essential.

pressedbunny fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Oct 8, 2014

pressedbunny
May 31, 2007

To A Brand New Galaxy
I know, I was following up on the sentiment.

pressedbunny
May 31, 2007

To A Brand New Galaxy
I started using Divas in either HCTP or the first SvR, whichever one it was where you had to beat Khali with a Diva or something like that to unlock some stuff, and then in the season mode too you either had to play as a Diva or get one as your manager or something... I forget the details, but that got me started with Divas and I've kept using 'em ever since. It makes the game more interesting than using OVR100, black-tribal bullshit CAWs flinging out Stunners as regular moves. Much less of a cakewalk, given how lovely the AI is even on the hardest difficulties.

... Though in this case I just like Paige a whole lot and am pissed they've found a way to make season passes even more sleazy. And hell, 2K must think enough people will want her if they're using her as the primary incentive to buy the season pass. They don't pick that sort of thing at random, they go for stuff they know people will want and feel forced to buy.

pressedbunny
May 31, 2007

To A Brand New Galaxy
Ran into someone 60-115 with several Epics. Then someone 2-3 with a couple of Epics. Nowt new, but I'm still floored by how people will piss away their money.

pressedbunny
May 31, 2007

To A Brand New Galaxy

Jonny Angel posted:

Is it s straight up fact that there are 2 energy cards in every field, or is that just the trend I've personally run into? Obviously sometimes you'll get to the Rare+ and reset before you hit both, but my sense is there's always 2.
Indeed, there are always two energy cards. Odds are you'll get them both before wiping the board; just playing matches for the energy cards is more efficient than swapping your KotR teams back-and-forth.

DoctorDelaware posted:

The 30-second wait I'm getting before matches might actually get me to quit this game. It's giving me time to think about how I'm wasting my life.
You're on a pro wrestling subforum on a comedy website.

pressedbunny
May 31, 2007

To A Brand New Galaxy

Telex posted:

uh what?

I meant for people who don't want to lame it out and piss everybody off by what is essentially abusing an oversight to cheat.

pressedbunny
May 31, 2007

To A Brand New Galaxy
Pulled three rare Tyson Kidds yesterday, used them all as XP fodder. Today I've pulled two Ultra Rare Natalyas, proing and keeping that.

Nat-tie's bet-ter! *clap-clap-clapclapclap*

pressedbunny
May 31, 2007

To A Brand New Galaxy
A 'Season Pass' which doesn't include half the content is loving atrocious. And when it's this concrete before the game is even out, that means you know it's all already finished and locked on the disc, so it's really data being held to ransom rather than additional downloadable content.

... But I want nearly all those people in my game. More moves is obviously always good, even if technically they're just hidden moves and not actually 'more' moves.

My utter disgust for these practices and the complete outrage of asking consumers to pay what, $45 for it all, on top of pre-ordering at full price for Sting, is at odds with my desire to be able to use Paige, DDP, Regal and Emma.

pressedbunny
May 31, 2007

To A Brand New Galaxy

sticklefifer posted:

Waiting for the Gold Edition in that case, because you know there will be one. Especially if it comes out on PC, since there will be very little to stop people from unlocking content.

I'd be happier if they just cut down on annual releases and updated the rosters occasionally,
They make more money doing this every year than updating. Same reason fighting games like Street Fighter IV and Dead Or Alive 5 have been rereleased three or four times each with changes that easily could have been a downloadable add-on.
It's also why there is unlikely to be any kind of complete/gold/definitive edition. They try to get the most money possible right at launch, locking some content away to be 'released' later to stop trade-ins and to scalp a little more out of customers (or a lot more, this year) but otherwise moving right on to making next year's game.

2K are a sketchy publisher, Yuke's is a lazy-rear end developer and both sports and fighting games have trained their markets to hand over as much cash as they demand every 12 months; WWE games are both.

pressedbunny
May 31, 2007

To A Brand New Galaxy
Preview events rarely have the latest builds. When I played it at EGX it was the same build that had been doing the rounds for months. Apparently the build that's been at recent preview events has clearly not been a final build, with options greyed out and such.

pressedbunny
May 31, 2007

To A Brand New Galaxy
The SR KOTR I'm in at the moment is literally nothing but people cheesing it with UR/Epics and junk tag teams (presumably on their benches, too). COuld be sheer coincidence or a sign of how many people have caught onto this tactic, but perhaps there's some vague degree of matchmaking being implemented?

pressedbunny
May 31, 2007

To A Brand New Galaxy
That entrance is completely inaccurate. Why isn't Michael Cole talking throughout!?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pressedbunny
May 31, 2007

To A Brand New Galaxy
Battled against people cheesing with Epic/Legendaries to get to the finals of my UR KotR. Won a pair of Naomis. Would have been alright if I hadn't, by blind luck, pulled a second Epic Stephanie in an exhibition match just ten minutes earlier. gently caress you, RNG!