Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

"I'm willing to pay up to $1200 for a big anime titty"

I miss MLB Showdown

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

I remember liking SVR09, the CAW leveling system was trash but it didn't play too badly, it looked good, the AI didn't stand still, it had the two reversal buttons so the online gameplay was a little more than sprinting around and using the four or five moves with weird timing windows.

These games have had huge problems for a decade plus though, I think "the one you like" is usually just "the one you bought when you were in the mood to deal with the bullshit," "the one you bought after not touching the series for five years" etc

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QcDfmmzrfhc

This is actually cool as hell and I feel like it's something I've put in the "why can't they just..." pile fumbling through CAW mode one time. He goes through it so many times and I don't think the attires repeat! Feel the same way about goofy story mode stuff and fights that are closer to video game bosses than WWE matches. So they have good direction on the paint job stuff this year, just the...game is gonna be the game.

Fat Lowtax fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Sep 21, 2018

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYmjy_Nk7MA

Cel-shading filter looks neat.

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

How good is the 1P DLC mode? Probably can't justify :10bux: :10bux: if it's short and I'm mostly just buying the dudes

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

DLC extra parts reminds me of one of my least favorite things about the dumb WWE games: you see something cool on creation center, but because the guy used Elbow Smash 5 and Kneepad 27 from the $15 Candice Michelle, Jesse and Festus Retro DLC, you can't download it.

Still not sure there's any other way to do it for Fire Pro, and anyway it seems like most of the energy of people making a massive amount of stuff was around launch.

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_EOm6Bb947c

Jhon Cena

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

I'm used to the UI, I just hope Microsoft Access 95 or whatever the gently caress he uses doesn't hold back the AI decisions, processing time part of the game. Wrestling companies have a lot of turnover!

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

Story creator would be amazing! Unfortunately they probably got rid of it because of all the uh, members of the WWE Gaming Community uploading stuff like RYDER BANGS AJ LEE.

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

The gameplay of 2k19 is decently customizable (stuff like making resiliency charge faster has a big effect) but I wish there was an option to just do the pins/submissions without the minigame, treat you like an AI.

A lot of modern games don't care about local multiplayer anymore but these games are, like, actively hostile.

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

is there anything wrong with the NBA 2K games that would be a red flag here? looking over VC's history they've been responsible for some really good poo poo, including NFL 2k5 on the Xbox, but... that might not be reflective of the company they are in 2019

e: like VC once made a football game so good, it basically ended up being football's equivalent to No Mercy and having people respond to every following Madden with "meh 2k5 was better," so this has me a little happier than not, at the moment

but i also don't play the NBA games so if those are butt i'm worried

Iirc the gameplay is still fine but they're obsessed with Ultimate Team-style cashgrabs on the online multiplayer playerbase to the detriment of almost everything else, including franchise mode.

The difference is that FIFA, NBA2K, probably even Madden still give you a functional competitive multiplayer experience. Are some strategies and player types overpowered? Of course. Does a game between two decent players even superficially look like the real sport? No. Pay to win? gently caress yeah. But the foundation for players to get on and have fun is so far ahead of the WWE games.

A lot of people blame the developers for the bad online, and a lot of the time there's lag they never fix or dumbass unblockable moves they never patch. But I think fundamentally, you aren't going to get a wrestling game that both tries to do the sim stuff and works as a competitive fighter or as a competitive sports game. They'd make more money on WWE All Stars 2.

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

Testekill posted:

https://twitter.com/newLEGACYinc/status/1161312135495987201

Johnny announced the line up for the rumblethon

All the Smackdowns
Every SvR except for 2010
Legends of Wrestlemania
WWE 12, 13, 2K14, 2K16, 2K18
Wrestling Mpire
Wrestling Revolution 2D and 3D
Day of Reckoning 1 and 2
Fire Pro World
Virtual Pro Wrestling 2
Wrestlemania 2000
WWF Attitude
ECW Anarchy Rulez
WCW/NWO Thunder
WWE Survivor Series
WWF Raw

Was there some kind of wacky problem with the 2010 Rumble? I vaguely remember one of these things taking like two hours to finish.

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

The Beat the Cheating Undertaker mode in one of these (13? 14?) was pretty cool. I hope the spOOoooOOky characters have unique gameplay elements like that

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

Maxwell Lord posted:

Jeff Hardy is now the WWF Champion, 24/7 Champion, and the lead singer of Limp Bizkit

Is he also the mayor of Knox County? I need to get the lineages straight

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

Seriously, how was this released like this

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

Kurt angle lookin like a snack

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

Kurt Angle knew he couldn’t beat him, and he didn’t even try.

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

Make way old stars

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

They used a fake voice for John Cena last year. John Cena opened his mouth and some other dude's voice came out. Should have went a step further and did all the Shield showcase stuff, with Dean Ambrose replaced by a completely different game model named "Jeff"

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

The Enforcer's real name was Jon Dowd.

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

Hi

Fat Lowtax fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Sep 15, 2019

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

Asuka and a random melange of b-tier NXT guys could be the most wacky stable ever in a series that has had Better Than U-Topia

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

KungFu Grip posted:

There will probably robot and alien versions of WWE superstars lmao. Remember that all of these are weird loving cartoony gimmick things like Swamp Thing Bray, White Walker Aleister, FrankenStrowman, and Snake Man Orton

Mods rename me to Cyberpunk Tino Sabatelli

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

Frankenstein Strowman, snake man Orton, zombie Chyna...

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

https://twitter.com/WWEgames/status/1176675677799505920

I figured they'd try to lead with online multiplayer because that's where the big money is, they're loving 2K, and they won't be able to nickel and dime you on hats and Special Attribute Packs if the core online multiplayer isn't worth spending any time with at all (as has been the case forever). But it's also the one thing conceptually where like...I have no idea how to fix it.

If I'm running around all the time and spamming stupid moves because I want to win the game, and you think that's dumb as poo poo because that's not how wrestling works, even if you kick my rear end because I'm bad you're still not going to have a good time.

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

coconono posted:

Still not buying that poo poo. I think I got 18 or 19 through psPlus, played it for 20 minutes to realize the controls were complete rear end.

They have "new streamlined controls" this year, whatever that means, which reminds me of the time the Applebee's waitress told me they have "new meat."

Seriously I liked 2K19, but I probably only engaged with 10% of the game (creation modes, exhibition Reversal Festivals against the AI). A lot of the modes seem really barebones. I'm used to the controls out of habit (I think they've kept them the same since whichever one of these I bought for 360?) but there are some janky match types like HIAC, some janky moments where your wrestler turns like a big rig etc

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

I'm sure there were other songs, but all I ever heard was blow my mind. Blow my mind.

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

https://twitter.com/WWEgames/status/1179758001294643201

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

Every 3 or 4 years they'll make real graphical improvements while also loving up half the game. It owns

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

2k19: big head mode
2k20: Kevin Dunn mode

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

Tweaking the AI must be absolute hell considering how little work has been done on it even by the standards of the series. Getting it to engage with the gimmicks, getting Randy Orton to work a slower match than Mustafa Ali - like, you have to think they want to do these things.

The personality sliders, except for "taunt" and "don't taunt," and the one that makes them run away sometimes - who knows what they do. But it's not like I remember the old "favorite moves" being used more, or the old "templates" like striker and submission doing anything. I do remember Undertaker and only Undertaker being a bitch to beat in SYM, but I was 11

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

I had 2k18 for PC and 2k19 for PS4 - I think having more stuff on CC gives these games more longevity than having the mods, which are really finicky, but 2k19 was also a better game

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

Yeah I hope they don't force you to use the reversal limits again, I don't know if this is just my take or what but it makes every match so easy/samey

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

I wonder if it's possible that the CAW tools are worse too, or at least the face tools. Forget what exactly the guy said about moving their stuff away from Yukes.

Fat Lowtax fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Oct 10, 2019

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

The Rick

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

The virgin gable

The chad gable

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

https://twitter.com/cmpuls3/status/1182772086185451520

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

Tato posted:

2013 -"Don't worry guys, the models look like absolute poo poo because they're focusing on the amazing gameplay (i.e making terrible new pinning and submission mini games that suck)"

2014 -"Don't worry guys, the models look like absolute poo poo because they're focusing on the amazing gameplay (i.e making terrible new pinning and submission mini games that suck). it's a transition year. This is THQ's fault"

2015 -"Don't worry guys, the models look like absolute poo poo because they're focusing on the amazing gameplay (i.e making terrible new pinning and submission mini games that suck)"

2016 -"Don't worry guys, the models look like absolute poo poo because they're focusing on the amazing gameplay (i.e making terrible new pinning and submission mini games that suck)"

2017 - "Don't worry guys, the models look like absolute poo poo because they're focusing on the amazing gameplay (i.e making terrible new pinning and submission mini games that suck)"

2018 -"Don't worry guys, the models look like absolute poo poo because they're focusing on the amazing gameplay (i.e making terrible new pinning and submission mini games that suck)"

2019 -"Don't worry guys, the models look like absolute poo poo because they're focusing on the amazing gameplay (i.e making terrible new pinning and submission mini games that suck). It's a transition year. This is Yukes' fault.

Almost positive this is going to be a very funny launch

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

Lmao they must have been absolutely terrified of putting that in the game with the New Hair Physics (tm)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

Blast Fantasto posted:

If you look at other forums there is a huge base of people who buy the game the day it comes out regardless of quality

It’s not too dissimilar to other sports games honestly in that regard

Also don't forget the DLC pass usually costs $20-30 so you get the hardcore fans spending $80-90 to buy it day one. Which, especially this year, looks completely unacceptable