Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

HEY RADICAL LARRY HOW ABOUT A HAIRCUT

****MIC TO THE WILLY***

pressedbunny posted:

Yes, but it's really not the same. Generally we just have small price cuts and sales throughout January. Given how poorly this game has been recieved, it'll probably drop a fiver before Christmas and it'll be half price by the end of January. Hell, you'll probably be able to find second hand copies for next to nothing within the next two months. Paying more to get it sooner than that really isn't going to be worth it.

Yah, I've been pre-ordering all through the PS2 era to today, it's an institution for me - only let down was SVR2008. I know this game is going to be fun to experience, but 50 quid for a stripped down johnny rappadoo game, or GTA V?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

****MIC TO THE WILLY***
I've just blew my own mind with this discovery:

So I was watching Surfer sting's entrance for 2K15 which featured this song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Hm1ekNY9Ws

I never watched surfer sting so I was curious to see what his theme was; and it IMMEDIATELY hit me! It's a song from a childhood VHS I used to have, basically for motorsport / stunt racing VHS tapes. I KNEW I knew the song from somewhere. I found the advert [commercial] on YouTube also amazingly and lo and behold they're the same.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYvgjyyScKQ

Bastads just slowed it down. I know this happens all the time [esp with WCW] but I just thought it was awesome. I loved those Stunt Crazy / Stunt Mania VHS :)

Actually, give this a watch if you like for some absolute:siren: PEAK PIKEY :siren: from us Brits.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6vLygseKlM

thank for you 4 viewing this post x

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

****MIC TO THE WILLY***

Jesus, the amount of work that must of gone into this is amazing.

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

****MIC TO THE WILLY***
A good month this month, so even though I said I wouldn't get this right away, I did! And i'm glad I did because the fundamental wrestling is great!

I like the chain wrestling thing; not really sure what the 3 rock paper scissor thing is at the start, but I figured out that the Right analogue stick wiggle (sort of like the ladder match mechanic from a couple of years ago) is to gain control. Also you can land a strike or hold if you gain control, and I haven't figured out how to cancel / stop the mini game?

I'm also not so sure on the grappling, do we have strong and weak grapples now, as it seems the 'lock up' animation stage is gone? It used to be lock up with X THEN press direction and X, but now it goes straight into a big move. I know that R2 is now the limb targeting which used to be R1.

It's early days yet but the slower pace is fantastic, as is the stamina animations. The only thing I would say is, i'm not sure how easy it will be to do squash matches / quick matches now due to the pacing, everything seems to be a clinic. Not bad by any means, but Xavier woods and Curtis Axel on the first match of raw doesn't have to be 5 star :)

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

****MIC TO THE WILLY***
That's cool if it's relative to their health. I like the little clubbing moves at the start, it just feels good. Especially kicks to dudes on the floor, nice and chunky feeling. Shut up Hugh morrus

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

****MIC TO THE WILLY***
So many little things:

As a stickler for environments also, it's so nice to see everything so crisp after the same models being used since SVR2007. Stuff like the barricade featuring individually moddelled pads on top, the announcers chairs being high poly, even the ring apron now has a bit of polygonal ruffle to it.

On my big telly it looks brilliant, and the ring apron logos are so crisp and high resolution. I'd love to have seen 2K14 the game (30 years WM) be the first next gen release but hey ho. I'm sure we'll be seeing plenty of DLC.

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

****MIC TO THE WILLY***
Are the CAWS in MyCareer mode pulled from the internet? Haven't fought against caws /random gen people since WWF Attitude. Although I only see the same 3, they should of totally used the internet/servers to pull a random person each time. How cool would that be if you're doing house shows on the road.

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

****MIC TO THE WILLY***

Basic Chunnel posted:

Got to my guy's (final?) WHC match against Orton in MyCareer mode and the crowd chanted BORING until the chain wrestling portion ended. This is a Good Game.

#FEELIT

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

****MIC TO THE WILLY***
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YV7or3kLLmE

Early 2k16 footage spotted

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

****MIC TO THE WILLY***
Anyone else having trouble in 2k15 MyCareer mode [or the game in general], it feels like sometimes grapples simply do not want to initiate. I'll be hovering over a downed opponent, or standing close to a standing opponent and nothign registers in time and the opponent does a move on me.

Maybe it's just my CAWs stats but it feels really sluggish [even with the speed attributes upped], so I normally just resort to strikes and running moves as grapples are way too risky.

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

****MIC TO THE WILLY***

Roman Reigns posted:

Hows your stamina look?

Pretty much maxed!

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

****MIC TO THE WILLY***
In 2k15 I simmed to the royal rumble because I like to start there.

And the intercontinental title match was taker vs Darren Young. What happened in that time I simmed :stare:

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

****MIC TO THE WILLY***

Taker with a scoop slam

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

****MIC TO THE WILLY***
FYI Erick Rowan won the Royal Rumble.

After a defiant fight against last man, Randy Orton. After multiple attempts by Orton to eliminate him, Rowan boots orton after his first over-the-rope mini game.

God bless that man.

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

****MIC TO THE WILLY***

Daniel Bryan posted:

Finally

WCW Pack

Playable WCW Superstars: Fit Finlay, Lord Steven Regal, Bam Bam Bigelow, Diamond Dallas Page and Lex Luger;
The WCW Pack will be available for a suggested price of $7.99.

Such a weird pack, would love to see the reasons behind the choices.

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

****MIC TO THE WILLY***
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7-zibrjZIE

BANG!

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

****MIC TO THE WILLY***
I wish WWE 13 [attitude one] was on 2K14's base. The pin glitch and the slow down was a game killer, but had killer content :(

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

****MIC TO THE WILLY***

MisterGBH posted:

One of the best rosters too.

And Smackdown oval tron, and WWF Heat (with the old logo) - argh why did it have poo poo AI and broken poo poo.

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

****MIC TO THE WILLY***
They probably face scanned him and thought 'urgh poo poo he had a moustache didn't he?' And left it as is.

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

****MIC TO THE WILLY***
2K15 is a good buy as long as you're happy with it being a periodical game. You play it once a week maybe and get your fill, and that's that til the next game. Sort of like WWE Programming, if you expose yourself to it too much you get sick of it.

I do hope they get rid of the objective based crap in the 'featured modes' though; the second time now I've 'done wrong' on something. I believe it was the HBK elimination chamber match where you have to elbow Triple H with your signature from the pod. I did that but HHH reversed and I lost. Time to do the 6man elimination again, from the beginning!

Yeah, not touching that mode for a long time.

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

****MIC TO THE WILLY***

Daniel Bryan posted:

Could be like my problem where I'd do the elbow drop off of the chamber and it wouldn't count time and time again.

Oh god. Well at least it's not a limited window of use-move so you don't have to wait for slow animations/being reversed before traversing the pod and hoping HHH is still floored.

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

****MIC TO THE WILLY***
The graphics evolution is fascinating.

Has any other franchise or series suffered from 'graphics actually get worse' ?

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

****MIC TO THE WILLY***
So that Wrestlemania logo is definitely the logo they're using? I know sometimes they have like a beta logo when the WM location is announced but usually the change it when the advertising campaign comes out, but they seem to be sticking with this one.

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

****MIC TO THE WILLY***

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

In most of the early PS2-era games (HCTP, Shut Your Mouth, and so on), the game would detect when your move was going to throw a guy off a cell. So you could do things like jackknife a guy off the cell and watch him land on his neck. (In any event, you and your friends repeatedly pushing each other off the cell was the point of HIAC matches).

Yep! No invisible wall and no ragdoll. Sure guys would fall while on their back with no selling what so ever, but damnit we had the freedom. Now HIACS are dull canned animation fests.

Remember when you could do back body drops and choke tosses out the ring in SD 1/2? Handy for Royal Rumbles.

They need to bring back the stupidly easy- but fun Royal Rumble mechanics from the first 3 games where a single slap could send you flying. These mini games are really crap, especially when you get instantly elimated because the AI can hit the marks with ease.

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

****MIC TO THE WILLY***

I Before E posted:

Fire Pro Wrestling Returns with the appropriate CAW set.

Pretty much this. Not sure if you've ever played Fire pro, but don't scoff at it being a 2D waste of time. It is the purest and best wrestling game of the PS2/3.

2k14 is the best in terms of roster/ challenging AI and modes. Go with this.

If you liked the Attitude era get 2k13, which has a great focus with accurate graphics [rings, aprons, PPVS] and roster, but the AI is crap, and there is a game breaking glitch where the AI only kicks out at 1, or 3 [resulting in a win] so no suspense at all in matches.

I had this on the PS3 and there was random slowdown in some matches. Not your usual choppy frames, but actual slowdown, like slow-motion! Stupid.

Every other game is forgettable/not worth checking.

07 was the first new gen game, but was stripped down. I personally liked it, but going back would be horrible now, as it featured the rigid D-Pad movement system, rather than todays Analogue joystick movement.

08 was the ONLY wwe game I actually sold second hand, it introduced ridiculous limited fighting styles, and the roster was turd. RUBBISH.

09, I dont even remember - I think the newest feature of this iteration was the new hot-tag mechanic for tag matches, with usual THQ poop-shining hype. Yawn.

10 - No idea. Genuinely! Maybe the introduction of the Road to wrestlemania storyline mode? Or some crappy creation suite thing. No crowning features I can remember.

11 - The first game with 'predator tech' / physics. This had brilliant weapon physics for the first time, so you could powerbomb wrestlers onto weapons and they'd react dynamically. The future games from this title would scale down these physics, for reasons unknown!

12 - Randy orton on the cover! and reduced weapon physics. Can't remember what else.

13 - Attitude era, with the usual task-chasing matches in the 'story mode'

14 - 30 years of Wrestlemania with a great roster and good 'storymode' feature, even though the bullet list of tasks you has to do is such a crap gameplay feature which doesn't lend itself to anything. I would recommend this to any wrestling fan as the roster is so wide. 80s/90s wrestlers, attitude era, WCW and new gen wrestlers. And not including community creations to pad out the roster further, you have 100 custom slots.

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

****MIC TO THE WILLY***
As ever, our glorius Wrestling game leader MDickie has a game where you run a wrestling show to please the fans.

You get match scores each match, which are determined by Heel/face match ups, rivalries and general match performance. The performance is a number rating which changes on the fly during the match, so the more moves you do the higher it climbs.

Although as soon as you stop it drops down immediately, so even if you have climbed to a 5 star match, the AI can walk out of the ring up to the entrance ramp and stand there aimlessly [which happens frequently] for a few seconds, and the match would drop to a 2 star stinker. Downtime simply cannot happen. Good luck with those Ai v ai matches :)

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

****MIC TO THE WILLY***
Short of playing with a friend who knows how to 'work a match' I don't think wrestling games are ever going to have that satisfaction. It's weird, i'm not sure I can think of another game type where you can purposely not try to win, in the effort to produce an equal/exciting match.

There was one particular year on the PS3 era where the AI was so docile, you purposely had to get beaten to even have a glimmer of competitiveness.

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

****MIC TO THE WILLY***
I've been simming Fire Pro R lately, and I have a pack full of anally-complete rosters, including enhancement talent which I LOVE. I've always had a thing for mid 90s WWF, HeAT, WWF Metal, Velocity and etc and thought i'd make some vids with some dumb match ups.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jnY4C9BUlCA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1kEwiimTaJQ

Complete with my era relevant matchup screens saved at jpeg compression 1. Paging Bob Holly...

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

****MIC TO THE WILLY***

St Evan Echoes posted:

More entertaining than any actual Steve Blackman match

Exactly! I have a good Spark plug holly v Hunter Hearst Helmsley coming up. The stars that could of been.

Let me know of any matches you'd like to see and I can make it so. I can go as low as TL Hopper and The Goon so most suggestions will be possible i'd imagine. I even have a third save with specialities such as Gobledigooker.

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

****MIC TO THE WILLY***

St Evan Echoes posted:

Ooooh! Let's see Tiger Ali Singh v Mabel

I've gone one better:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xlC3pRqoDPY

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

****MIC TO THE WILLY***

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Wrestling Observer:

"Kane and Steve Blackman had a shoot-style kickboxing match. Blackman no-sold the chokeslam, but fell asleep while he had Kane in a front facelock and Kane fell on top of him for 3. Crowd was hot. **"

I need these for every match from now on

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=um3sF6_RSUU

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

****MIC TO THE WILLY***

Snacksmaniac posted:

Drose was knocked out by the Razor's Edge in an injury angle. He is being taken off TV for repacking.

To join up with Bastion Booger to form a dominant tag team?

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

****MIC TO THE WILLY***
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANOqWQ8NTOw

The CPL busts open Hercules in the first 30 seconds!

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

****MIC TO THE WILLY***

Doc Morbid posted:

He was a guy who worked so stiff that no one in 80s WWF wanted to wrestle him. Then he got fired and went to Japan, where he worked deathmatches as Leatherface.

No wonder Herc got busted open.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9abu5nrSrJ4

Virgil does the babyface comeback and hogan no sell at every possible opportunity.

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

****MIC TO THE WILLY***

St Evan Echoes posted:

Simo, if you don't do The World's Worst Royal Rumble sometime in the next 10 days I'm gonna be really disappointed in you

FPR can't do rumbles, but it can do an 8 man elimation match, to deem to who is the best of the worst.

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

****MIC TO THE WILLY***
Last time I spoke with the dickster he said steam was giving him hassle. Although this was for his last 3d wrestling game.

Maybe in the current climate he'll be able to get it on. It's still being developed and I think he's probably doing fine from mobile sales as is.

Fingers crossed for a release with a root directory and not some packaged flash file like the 2d game.

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

****MIC TO THE WILLY***
Would anyone be interested in a wrestling life sim? You're a wrestler and you try to get booked, but instead of focusing on actual wrestling gameplay it's more about the hand to mouth life style.

$10 on protein , or gas?

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

****MIC TO THE WILLY***
Pretty much all of the above. The actual wrestling won't even be a thing , instead you will be hocking yourself on podcasts with Kade Weller and telling fellow wrestlers that you now do kettlebell workouts (+5 endurance)

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

****MIC TO THE WILLY***
Sadly I am not a programmer only a graphical asset person so sadly my ideas are just that - but for once in my gaming life it's not an MDickie mod it's an actual possible idea.

I'm thinking supercard statistical gameplay for matches / situational outcomes. An MDickie style world where there are other wrestlers/managers/promoters where events will affect these persons/organisations.

Along with the 'life' simulation and trait based nature of The Sims; for the player. (Injury prone (I would say durability)), marketing sense (the ability to sell merch, understand their own brand) , work ethic (a player who has spent more times taking back bumps and who watches other matches on the card etc).

For some reason I'm thinking of nimblebits tiny trains in terms of accessibility, but with a few more layers for the underbelly of the wrestling world. TEW is also interesting but the booking world doesn't interest me, this would be for the one player. Think 2k15s career mode, but where the nitty gritty stuff was amplified. Remember that wwe game with the 24/7 mode? Man I want my guy to attend a comic con!

I can picture sitting on the toilet playing such a game, tapping away, raising all important traits, but pushing too hard will cause certain negative or counter productive parameters to arise.

With the calendar days of the week, the game would present certain events such as wrestling school training Monday or working overtime at your job for more money..... for wrestling school!

For instance, you think you're cheating the game by grinding overtime at your day job and getting easy cash, but your boss just told you he needs you the weekend. That date is booked for a show, oh crap!

Again I'm no programmer / dev but I'm putting together notes, which is probably a lot more than some projects. The wrestling world interests me more than the actual wrestling and I think creating a world with all of the facets of the business would be brilliant.

If only I knew some nerdy app developers :(

Edit: come to think of it. Matches can't be played like 'a game' as the non-kayfabe nature of the game would focus on backstage politics and booking. I need a pen and paper . poo poo.

Sevalar fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Mar 3, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

****MIC TO THE WILLY***
Thanks for the suggestions. I had a stint of wanting to learn coding/game design with Game Maker on steam but was just lost in the maths; the learning demos while functional were just a pointless exercise imo, not for me.

For such a text based/menu based game I'm hoping there is perhaps a more viable way for me as a total newb to at least create a working concept. The graphics/style and world creation is fine, it's just getting it all working :(