Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

remusclaw posted:

There were whispers that the rating system is actually different per Arena, favoring whatever style is the trend where they are set. Don't know how true that is. King of Colosseum 2 had a similar system based on different companies style expectations.

The Final Fire Pro management mode also did evaluation styles but you got to pick those on a per-match basis, and your promotion had a main style it was expected to do primarily.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Galaga Galaxian posted:

So apparently if a dude gets KO'd in the middle of a battle royal they just... leave him in there? Harsh.

Yep, happens a lot in nL Inc's "Brawl 4 All" streams because they're using mods to do battle royal MMA so you get a lot of people laid out on the mats in short order.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Spike's GDC stream tonight is apparently 8PM Eastern (5 PM Pacific) for those curious or who didn't know (like myself)

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
It's looking like the way that works is by combining existing move animations, but it's still neat.

EDIT: top of page, might as well show it:

https://twitter.com/newLEGACYinc/status/978207102295527426

https://twitter.com/TheBaileyAce/status/978215045283762176

Sounds like it was a real challenge to figure out though so it'll probably remain a secret as to how they discovered how to do this but that mod pack has 100 new moves. Also they seem kinda tetchy about letting anyone outside of Fire Pro Arena know it even exists but nL already tweeted about it so whoops.

Angry_Ed fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Mar 26, 2018

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I agree with the others saying you should do it, and also not worry so much about success. I still stream the GBA Final Fire Pro Management of the Ring stuff even though I basically get no views either on Twitch or YouTube for it. I still just like the idea of showing people the game mode and if someone just happens to like it then that's good enough.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Any downsides to the Backyard Wrestling games can be forgiven by stuff like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpsaQpYv7ec&t=2398s
(39:58 if the timestamp doesn't work, though honestly the whole video is great)

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Xerzes posted:

09 had super magic.

Are we talking the storyline where Candice Michell has a literal magic wand which causes your chosen wrestler to be turned into a girl, Edge starts talking like Daivari (and later becomes a Farsi-speaking The Boogeyman) and other such weird nonsense? Cause that was '07 which I still consider the low point for SvR games because I didn't play '08

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Xerzes posted:

No, 09 where Undertaker turns Santino or Finlay(your choice) into a zombie, then the zombie has a match with Rey Mysterio(which, weirdly, they'll probably win if you don't intervene), in which you can take control over them with "magic", which makes them stop and stand in place for a bit, or "super magic" which makes them stop and punch themselves.

Wow that's actually somehow more ridiculous than '07

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Minidust posted:

Wasn't the magic wand revealed to be a dream sequence or hallucination or something

Nope, it just ends and you go to the next storyline with no explanation

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Had a feeling this was the case, probably so they could put the PS4 port out in a state that was as complete as possible and possibly including the management mode

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

ChrisBTY posted:

I don't think the developer matters.
The game needs a break in its yearly development cycle.
But if people are just going to buy the game no matter how bad it is why not just poo poo in a box and sell it?

Basically this is the problem. They have less than a year to make the game for the following year and thus can't fix stuff that's been broken since probably the first SmackDown game even. If they did a new release every two years and did roster DLC in the interim they'd probably still make just as much money, possibly more. Of course the other problem exists that this is a niche genre with very little competition (I'd even argue Fire Pro caters to a different type of fan in a lot of respects) and thus no impetus to improve, and instead load it down with arbitrary things including a faux cash shop (which will probably become a real cash shop for 2K19 :barf:)

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Taintrunner posted:

I mean there’s been modern roster updates for No Mercy for years and years

Also lol Fraps in 2018

Gotta have that authentic 2008 No Mercy mod experience

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Testekill posted:

I am shocked that the Elimination Chamber in Here Comes the Pain can be broken the exact same loving way as every other WWE game.

Games with 9 month development cycles have little to no time for QA and bugfixes? Say it ain't so! :v:

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Chris James 2 posted:

rip slip, never forget

That which is Slip can never die.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Autumn 2018 for the Promoter mode DLC seems as likely as anything given they said it'd be out after the PS4 version launches.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I'm starting to have a lot of fun with Priority moves now that I'm more used to how they work. Really helps add in some personality.

https://giant.gfycat.com/WarmFlusteredKob.webm

That is some really nice work with the CPU logic. I haven't really tinkered with cpu logic in a while, is him doing a taunt before the running attack based off of whether or not his opponent got stunned?

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I'm also pretty sure the venn-diagram of people who would buy Fire Pro World and would buy it if it had a Promoter Mode is basically a huge circle for the former and a smaller circle for the latter completely inside of it. Promoter mode is not really a deal-maker-or-breaker for people who like FPW games.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Takuan posted:

That's kinda been my biggest problem with the Story Mode so far, everyone is way too nice and supportive and you get way too much attention for a proper Young Lion experience

Yeah even I, a person who hasn't watched a lot of NJPW, knows they're sugarcoating things way too hard. That and apparently going on Excursion only 5% of the way into the career, seems a bit quick.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Boco_T posted:

I can’t believe nobody’s made a translated ROM of the Suda51 story mode after all these years

Knowing how it ends probably reduces people's desire to experience it somewhat, but it is surprising nobody's done it just to show they could

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

How grumpy does Twitch get about licensed music? If I put something in as a Fire Pro entrance theme that turns out to be on a label of note, is that gonna cause any immediate fuckery or will my VODs just have the entrances muted?

Usually the way it works is that only the part with the licensed music gets muted from the VODs. Surprisingly despite using stuff that was copyrighted in a quick "Best WWF Light Heavyweight Championship" tournament I recorded, it didn't get VOD muted I don't think. It's not always clear what will or won't get caught by it.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

CarlCX posted:

Yeah, they don't give a poo poo outside of that unless a company complains. Twitch's archiving is also basically pointless, though, so if you care about people accessing your old streams you should probably record your outgoing stream and then dump it onto youtube.

Twitch does now offer the ability to download your archived streams, in case recording the outgoing stream isn't doable for whatever reason.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

KungFu Grip posted:

lol they actually did remove Nikki Cross from the next WWE game even though she has never been inactive in NXT for awhile. Wonder who she upset.

Ciampa and Kendrick too, but both were injured for awhile.

People being fired I get, people being injured less so because they're still employed. It's just pointless and lazy especially since there's no chance they're revamping graphics to the degree they can't just lazily slap in the old models like they always do.

I'd say it's because they don't give a poo poo, but that would imply they're given enough time to even give a poo poo or not. The constant 9 month dev cycle is just "hurl it out the door as long as it works"

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

pressedbunny posted:

It's a miracle the last five games even boot up.

Booting up qualifies as working :v:

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I actually played quite a bit of the Ironman Road mode in Fire Pro 2 on the GBA and loved it, until I got to tag matches and it became impossible to prevent the opponent from breaking up pins. But it was definitely fun, I'd just say the slight barrier to entry on understanding the mechanics makes it difficult to recommend to people from a playing standpoint.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

projecthalaxy posted:

There's a sequence in Slammed where you and your rival are working a cage match and at arbitrary moments, not-Steph changes it from work to shoot fight and back again. which seems like something Russo would have at least pretended to do.

Sounds like some good old-fashioned Inokism.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

remusclaw posted:

I like it, because it makes the game look like Ralph Bakshi's "Lords of the Wrestling Ring." It looks a lot like his rotoscoped stuff.

Richard Linklater's "A Stunner, Darkly"

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Xerzes posted:

Preferably with no Alex Jones

In his place we'll have Jesse Ventura

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Well save structures will have definitely be altered, since Edits/CAWs get several new slots for extra voice clips and tons of new customization options.

I made a backup of my save and am gonna wait a few days to see if anything crops up.

I just backed up my own save, hadn't even thought about that, probably holding off on grabbing the DLC just in case some bad bug rears its head

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Yeah, apparently some of the stuff they changed to make the PS4 version easier to develop killed a lot of the hooks and stuff mods were using. Thats quite a shame.

Well, Spike never officially supported mods, so this always had a chance to happen.

Yeah, honestly the only things I'm sad about losing from the mod suite becoming incompatible is being able to assign music to workshop wrestlers easily, the easier way of transferring wrestlers between promotions/stables, and the camera mod (which to be fair can often be a bit janky anyway)

That said, this does also gently caress up newLegacy's Brawl 4 All format

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Minidust posted:

Yeah one might assume "Mission Mode" is something to tackle once you get pretty good at the game. But it's actually the very first thing a new player should do. The UI and translation in general has always been the biggest stumbling block to fledgling Fire Pro players, I'd imagine.

At least Fire Pro 2 on the GBA called it "Training", not sure what happened between then and now with Spike's translation team.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Galaga Galaxian posted:

The NJPW Fighting Road is pretty good.

I like how the game establishes my Young Lion basically can't speak English, then nearly completely ignores this fact in favor of having me banter with the various SWA wrestlers.

Duolingo is a very useful app

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Good to see Voice Three from SvR '07 is still getting work.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

spongeh posted:

Watching a MyCareer playthrough on YouTube, it looks pretty good even if it's a bit silly. They're definitely improving on all of the stuff surrounding the game. It has the awful monetization from NBA 2K, though. It's a shame the actual game itself is still not great, but maybe by the PlayStation 5 we'll get our first all around solid wrestilng game before they tear it all up for the new consoles.

As long as 2K continues to publish them, you won't, since they'll just keep killing it via microtransactions.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I get that the Million Dollar Tower is supposed to be hard but this just takes the cake in terms of "everything working against you" (taken from nL's stream tonight)

https://clips.twitch.tv/ClearDifferentApeJebaited

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Part of VGCW's appeal was the interactions between different characters, which is difficult to do in a game with no story creator or equivalent. But even beyond that the VGCW crowd shrank massively over time anyway. Regardless, I say keep at it.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Takuan posted:

What unimportantguy said, plus Fire Pro characters can have a lot depth to their AI, so there's also a respect and appreciation for doing interesting things with the AI. There's also the community element where people will use other people's characters as 'free agents', and events and tournaments based on community submissions.

I've actually overcome that issue by using visual novel creation software.

Right, good point. I was meaning more something built-in but I've seen how Ren.Py can fill the gap.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

CascadeBeta posted:

A while ago someone posted about Journey of Wrestling, a browser based booking sim. It just got an update that added gimmicks and overness, which makes it a little more deep, although it's still pretty simple. A lot of the scenarios are still out of date but it's worth checking in on again.

Oh awesome, I've been waiting in that update. I just wish it was a bit more challenging since right now it's way too easy to beat all the other promotions in a scenario once you get into a groove. I think the fact that promotions can't poach talent and there's no theoretical length to contracts is probably the issue there though (at least, as of this time)

Angry_Ed fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Oct 30, 2018

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Takuan posted:

It sounds like it was a group of people from Spike, but they've switched to using a dedicated team so they can actually fix the game and make progress on it, but who knows. With how much turnover the dev team has had, Carlzilla is probably actually the one person in the world with the most experience and familiarity with Fire Pro's code at this point. Booking options and the royal rumbles are in the testing version of the mod suite that's on the discord. Eventually, a "public" version will be posted at firepropc.com.

I don't think it got posted over here, but there's a reddit translation of a Famitsu article where Blessed Holy Emporer Taichi verbally rips in to Director Matsumoto for his failures.

It's probably a work, but it's fun to read.

Taichi posted:

Grand Theft Auto 5 has upwards of 30 players shooting at each other, but there’s no lag at all, and it plays smoothly

Yeah this is a work, that's bullshit. GTA 5's netcode is hilarious in how it can't even handle one player running over another properly. The whole thing reads like Taichi making a fanfic of what he'd say to Matsumoto if he got the chance. Surprised there wasn't an "and then everyone stood up and clapped" bit at the end. Not to say the criticisms aren't valid, but I just don't buy the story framing.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I buy it because Matsumoto's explanations make pretty much perfect sense. Like, all the stuff he explicates in the interview is pretty much known to be true regarding netcode: games like Fire Pro just straight up aren't gonna work well online unless there's some sort of lag compensation, and even with that, playing on wi-fi is gonna be loving miserable.

The WWE games can get away with more online because their timing isn't nearly as strict; GTA5, even as poo poo as its netcode is, is able to hide this from the player in most instances due to how the game functions, with the player only constantly observing their own character. Fighting games and stuff like FPW are in a much tighter spot, with rollback netcode like GGPO being pretty much the only silver-bullet solution.

I mean that part's fine, I'm more annoyed with the assertion that some games don't have lag at all when they definetely do (and GTA V is a prime example), and so the more I read (including the end part with "fix it or I cut off your head") the more I felt I was being worked. :shrug:

Like, Matsumoto's explanations were real-feeling enough, it's the other half of the discussion that felt crazy

Angry_Ed fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Nov 21, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Yeah honestly if it's a 1:1 port of the GBA booking then that's not great (literally you can only do 1v1 or Tag Matches, no BR, no multi man, etc. ).