Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Looking at it from a level-headed POV, this is probably a situation where AEW / Embracer had unrealistic expectations for both time and budget but YUKES was so desperate for a lifeline they knowingly overpromised. That they signed away the engine certainly suggests as much.

YUKES, as always, is YUKES. But to be quite frank they still might be the best candidate to make a sequel. Even if AEW have the option of shopping the project around with a game engine made and ready, that only differs by degrees from shopping around with no engine at all.

You don’t go to a new dev and be like “here’s a custom engine, go nuts.” They’d need a lot of time and money to learn how to work with the tools efficiently, as much or more than it might take to make another engine from scratch … and if plain language documentation in the code itself is sloppy or doesn’t exist (wonder what we can expect from YUKES there!) it can be next to impossible to do well.

This is one of the reasons devs tend to gravitate toward catch-all engines like Unreal Engine 5 and customize them off the shelf as needed for whatever type of game you’re making — new people you hire for the project will at least have a baseline understanding of what they’re working with. Plus all the work of like, physics and visual stuff becomes way simpler as you use industry standard middleware.

That difficulty with custom development’s hard even before you factor in that FF uses the same extremely old codebase as its pre-AEW ancestors. Or that your options for experienced devs working on this kind of game are basically nonexistent beyond YUKES. Or that if its staff quits or retires or is laid off, YUKES itself could lose familiarity with their own tools.

There’s no good way forward, essentially. If they haven’t hammered out an agreement by now…

Basic Chunnel fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Apr 11, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Drakkel posted:

I've been playing a TEW2020 save and one of the most annoying things about it, besides the god-awful UI where it takes like 20 clicks to do literally anything, is the weird way events trigger. It feels like occasionally the game will pick a random event and trigger a poo poo-ton of it all at once rather than doing it organically?

Example: I advance forward a week and suddenly like 50 people have retired, next week every single couple on my roster gets divorced, another week everyone is getting pregnant, etc etc etc

I have no idea if it's the game itself or the database is hosed or what but it is very weird to watch happen.

That’s usually the game forcing a custom database into what it expects out of a DB. You see it a lot with real world mods that seek a certain kind of realism in representation which doesn’t line up with the game’s internal logic. Sort of like the way Ghandi was infamous for starting nuclear wars in old Civ games.

For example, TEW doesn’t understand that a lot of irl workers who got TV time in the 80’s / early 90’s never truly retire, so when you load a real world mod it goes “why are all these 70 year old guys still available for PPA / agent roles?” and starts retiring them by the cruise shipload. Likewise it’s very common to see massive influxes of AI-generated puro dojo graduates a few months into a RW game, because the modder either didn’t know or didn’t care to stock the supply of puro workers at the low end.

Any time you see a lot of weird stuff happening at once, the game is probably returning itself to a baseline in some way.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

It definitely happened to me at least once in Civ 3 or 4 (it was a CG Ghandi), but the point is, number-driven procedural behavior only approaches accurate simulation by accident. They just as easily break.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

I’ll wait til I hear test feedback. My emulations of AKI games on PC was always pretty buggy.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

When Kenny or Adam Cole likes video games it’s cool but when anybody else does it, it’s indicative of midcard status. The curse of UUDD