Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
Apparently WWE 2k18 for Switch does exist as some copies already made it to stores and accidentally got obtained. Of course, you can't connect to any server to download the required 24GB patch of additional content. So the game is missing modes and even shadows without the patch. Could be the best game for glitches yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

Yes. The availability of cheap storage options has led most people to say "gently caress it" when it comes to compressing anything on any console. Combine that with 2k taking the cheapest card option possible to save money and you end up with this. The game has the mechanics (and in many times the graphics) of an early PS2 game and is still that large.

But I'm sure the Switch version is very optimized. Not like 2k to release a hunk of poo poo and expect wrestling fans to pay $60 and extra DLC money AND fill up their storage for a sub-standard product, right? ::hurr::

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

I do weekly blood rituals to try and force AKI back into existence. I'll throw in a quick prayer for Skate next time for you guys.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

It will be awesome to have a wrestling game on Switch.

The other one is so broken Nintendo will still give you refunds on it and 2k should probably be banned from even selling it.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

The IMPACT game didn't even have submissions if I recall, they just counted as pins.

Remember that lovely Lucha game that Konami made? The main appeal was a free mask with pre-order. Then they got rid of it and everyone cancelled their pre-orders.

The state of wrestling video games is sad

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

I miss just getting weird cool stuff like Ultimate Muscle, Def Jam, and Rumble Roses in between the annual stuff. It was also cool to have different WWE games on each platform (GameCube, Xbox, Ps2) before they all became the same.

I'd love to see a stripped down AKI style game on Switch, I don't expect it to be able to run WWE 2k19 (especially when 2k won't hire a studio good at porting games to it).

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

I don't know much about the super fancy No Mercy mods these days but after looking at some of the recent ones, I'm interested. Will these mods work on N64 Flashcarts and original hardware or do you basically have to run them on emulators? I have a N64 USB controller so it shouldn't be an issue, but it would be cool to be able to play multiplayer around the tv.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

The greatest thing about the AKI games were the pick up and play controls and how quickly and effectively the mechanics of the game were communicated to the player, often through completely visual cues with no prompts. It's why you could just pick it up and have fun with 3 other people in multiplayer even if they weren't the biggest of wrestling fans.

These days, even though I play all the WWE 2k games and have for years, I still have to regularly consult the (now digital only) manual for all the contextual button combinations for dragging a guy and putting him face down on a table. Forget about finding anyone else willing to pick up a controller and learn that poo poo.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

Man, I used to know how to do this stuff but setting up custom N64 emulation for each random AKI game mod is just too far beyond me at this point. This came out today and I want to play it but all I get is error after error.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmosx2NZnZQ

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

Angry_Ed posted:

I can get it to run but using the modded music ROM doesn't give me music, and I'm not sure of my ability to properly do the Roster Tool method. They really needed a better tutorial or tutorial video on how to get it running properly.

That said I'll probably bash my head against it tomorrow or something.

Yeah, having three different folders full of read-me files and setup's like "Read me - Original", "Read me - updated", "Read me - use this one for real" isn't conducive to an easy set-up. I'm hoping someone enterprising will just compress the whole thing together in working order at some point.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

I got the WCW Feel the Bang MOD working with music thanks to this video. Odd that there's no music during the actual matches though. I miss the background AKI music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUuw4kg0R8M

I enjoy the authenticity of the ads though.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

quote:

Another contributing factor is the lack of competition in the wrestling genre, she said. Yuke’s historical rival, WWF No Mercy developer AKI Corporation, effectively left the genre following the release of 2006’s Def Jam: Fight for NY: The Takeover.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

Does the game fail you if you do more than back rakes, bodyslams and the leg drop? I want it true to life. I want to fail the match if I successfully launch the fireball against Warrior in WCW.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

I haven't touched a 2K game since I found out how easy it is to install plenty of the AKI Mods.

Thinking of all the guys they need in to guarantee the full Hogan experience. Gotta have Brother Brutti, with all of his alternate outfits. The Nasty Boys. Every member of the black and white, I won't accept a game without Bryan Adams and Michael Wallstreet.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

Turns out Hogan Mode is actually the return of GM Mode in a weird hybrid simulation. You have to work the backstage politics and make sure you stay over while making sure people are always mad at someone else. Don't crack under pressure when you're on the stand for the steroid trials. Consult the calendar and time your absences to coincide with the NBA Playoffs. Push it too far and you might end up doing a televised job to Goldberg when you only meant to do it in a dark match. But if you're a true Hulkamaniac you'll persevere and find a way to be the center of attention even when you aren't the champ.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

I haven't been this jacked to play as Hogan since he dared me to try on the largest arms in the world in WCW Nitro

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-m-IOahSYU

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DLC Inc posted:

people need to stop hoping these 2K games will ever be good. every year they get more unfun and bogged down with endlessly and needlessly complex simulation bullshit. I can't even kick out of a loving pin in the latest one without some loving hair trigger puzzle or do a submission without a rubik's cube appearing onscreen. The best we can hope for is if the nerds in AEW search out somebody to just recreate No Mercy with their roster because that's still imo the best wrestling game.

WWE 2k14 might actually be my second favorite since it had a lot of fun poo poo but had not yet been transformed into a complete mess of bullshit systems and micromanagement. It was also the last game that really allowed for me to put custom mp3 music for entrances since it was on PS3.

Pretty much. They've hosed up PINS and submissions in a wrestling game. Every year is just another random dumbass replacement system that's stupid. 2k14 was definitely the apex of the series, I still pop that one back in.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

The pin minigame this year requires you to press the control stick in, then alternately rotate clockwise and counter-clockwise to make the blue doohicky overlap the red one for at least 2 seconds

To escape submissions, you have to stick the control stick up your butt

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

No Mercy is amazing at how many things it can convey without a super complicated dipshit HUD or mini game bars. Just the animation of guys dragging body parts, the unique sound effects of the submission struggle, and that oh so satisfying *CRACK* just before the guy taps out. Not once did I ever feel I got cheated if my guy submitted in No Mercy, I got my rear end kicked and it's only natural my guy finally gave up.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

Isn't this the last Yukes developed game anyway? Is 2k just going to keep the code and assets and keep this bloated corpse shambling along?

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

It's also not super hard to get into the AKI modding scene. It took me at best an hour's worth of fiddling to get WCW - Feel the Bang working. Once you've done it a single time, it becomes much easier to get other AKI Mods working, and there's some cool stuff in the works like a full NXT Mod coming soon. Unfortunately, due to all the hacks, there's no way to make them run on an actual N64 - http://akilive.boards.net/

I feel the AKI engine is still infinitely superior to anything Yukes has ever put out. The amount of info it can convey without a HUD, just through simple animations and sound effects, is fantastic. There's no dipshit bar/slider mini-game to do when I'm pinned or in a submission, but I don't feel cheated if I lose because I took an appropriate amount of damage and I deserved it.

I miss just being able to pop in a wrestling game and friends who haven't even played them before can jump right in and have fun with them. I've played tons of Yukes games and still have to consult the (online) manual each year to understand how the controls have changed and what I am/am not allowed to do now. gently caress that poo poo when friends are over. I'll just pop in Def Jam - Fight for New York instead. It's like Yukes/THQ/2K at some point just gave up on the idea that anyone could casually enjoy playing these games.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

2013 -"Don't worry guys, the models look like absolute poo poo because they're focusing on the amazing gameplay (i.e making terrible new pinning and submission mini games that suck)"

2014 -"Don't worry guys, the models look like absolute poo poo because they're focusing on the amazing gameplay (i.e making terrible new pinning and submission mini games that suck). it's a transition year. This is THQ's fault"

2015 -"Don't worry guys, the models look like absolute poo poo because they're focusing on the amazing gameplay (i.e making terrible new pinning and submission mini games that suck)"

2016 -"Don't worry guys, the models look like absolute poo poo because they're focusing on the amazing gameplay (i.e making terrible new pinning and submission mini games that suck)"

2017 - "Don't worry guys, the models look like absolute poo poo because they're focusing on the amazing gameplay (i.e making terrible new pinning and submission mini games that suck)"

2018 -"Don't worry guys, the models look like absolute poo poo because they're focusing on the amazing gameplay (i.e making terrible new pinning and submission mini games that suck)"

2019 -"Don't worry guys, the models look like absolute poo poo because they're focusing on the amazing gameplay (i.e making terrible new pinning and submission mini games that suck). It's a transition year. This is Yukes' fault.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

WWE games have been rancid for over a decade because they are diseased at their very core. Every change each year is just the illusion of change, sprinkles and glitter heaped on top of a stinking poo poo pile, trying to throw you off the scent. The changing of publishers, the new generations of consoles, all just window dressing, but that doesn't stop people from hoping that this year - THIS YEAR - it's going to be better. Lies. None of it will change because it's still rotten at the base. It will NEVER be better until the entire thing is burned to the ground and the earth beneath it is salted.

In that way it's an amazingly accurate representation of WWE. 10/10.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

Holy poo poo, the Wrestling with Pixels kickstarter book from 2013 is actually going to print thanks to the HG101 crew. Got a 98% done, 250 page PDF of it in my inbox this morning.

I had no idea there were so many wrestling computer games.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

Just a comprehensive book taking a look at every wrestling video game ever made, up to WWE 2k18, including unreleased games, games featuring wrestlers, interviews with some developers, etc. Every game gets at least half a page, but most have several page write-ups. Just an astounding number of games I never knew existed for obscure overseas computer platforms.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

Kennel posted:

How many pages for MDickie games?

2 full pages!

quote:

Wrestling with Pixels
This project has been in the works since 2013, and I’m excited (and relieved) to say that it’s almost done. One of the reasons it took so long is because there really was a ton of stuff to cover – I think the author underestimated how much there was when he began working on this, but the end product is one of the largest color books we’ve done (over 230 pages with 115,000 words), covering over 250 games as well as other products like pachinko games, pinball cabinets, LCDs, wrestlers featured in other video games, and many other features.

http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/wrestling-with-pixels-complete-preview-pdf-available-for-kickstarter-and-patreon-backers/

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

A pretty awesome full NXT mod for No Mercy was released on the first, one of the best MODs since the WCW Feel the Bang one

http://akilive.boards.net/thread/1026/nxt-takeover

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

I can't believe they FINALLY killed the yearly WWE games.

And that Yukes NOT making the game is what finally killed it.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

Battlegrounds characters look similar to the models used in some WWE mobile games like the Bejeweled ripoff. Wonder if they included so many fired wrestlers since they already had assets created or something.

I'm looking forward to the reviews, don't understand how anyone could feel comfortable pre-ordering a WWE game for any bonuses given how bad the last two WWE games were (Also the games immediately go on sale like 50% off a week later anyway).

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

Apparently almost the entire roster is locked at the start, all the characters basically share 5 movesets, and (shock) the AI is incredibly broken and dumb

https://www.nintendolife.com/reviews/nintendo-switch/wwe_2k_battlegrounds

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

punchdaily posted:

Is there a good cage match in any wrestling game? They were absolutely dreadful in No Mercy and I'd say in a few of the Smackdown/WWE '# games the best they ever got was "generally inoffensive."

It's wild because ladder matches are generally pretty fun as long as the ladder has some weight to it, despite also being about climbing something to win.

The cage match in WWE Battle Grounds is won by collecting bags of money that randomly appear on the cage. Once you get enough money in your sack you can escape the cage. It's completely bizarre and also how Vince probably plans to make the wrestlers fight for their paychecks in 2021.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

Supporting the man MDickie by getting his game.

Current Ranking of Nintendo Switch Wrestling games:
1. MDickie Wrestling Empire
2. Pro Wrestling on NES Switch Online
3. Natsume Championship Wrestling on SNES Switch Online
4. WWE Battlegrounds
99. WWE 2k18 (shouldn't even be legal to sell this, it barely functions)

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

https://www.metacritic.com/game/switch/wrestling-empire people get it, glad to see positive reviews even with the obvious technical issues that make things more fun. I hope MDickie makes some money.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

MDickie is also noting features and commands that are in the game but not noted anywhere yet on his twitter https://twitter.com/MDickieDotcom

Hoping the man already has enough sales for a gold boat

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

Insertnamehere31 posted:

I’ve never seen any NL before but I watched every kingiest of the ringiest match. D-Von was the perfect underdog babyface for that tournament and should have won

Also nash walking out of his match with HHH is perfectly in character

I was more invested in D-Von's rise to the top and upset at Mr. Perfect than anything on WWE television this year. Saving Grace is a good finisher.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

Reviews were generally positive. It has a story mode with Johnny Nitro and a career mode where you take any wrestler and beat everyone to win the NWA Title, but it's still an arcadey title. I'll probably wait until it's on a bigger sale.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

Finally got a notification that the Wrestling with Pixels book I Kickstarted in 2013 has shipped and is on the way to my house. I never gave up the faith, even when it came crashing down and it hurt inside.

I wonder what the record is for longest delayed Kickstarter that actually eventually happened. It has to be up there.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

Major Brothers were smart to establish their stuff independent of WWE so they could continue to grow it after leaving and get all the profits, although it seems Xavier could just easily rebrand UUDD if he ever leaves

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

That was fun. All the outfits in that game are the exact ones used for the ECW figures, forgot how much I love the original Corino gear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

Watched a NL video where they were playing TNA Impact (2008) and it still looks better than the modern WWE games

Just what everyone wanted

quote:

MyGM is also adding the ability to play in the role of somebody like Kevin Dunn and be a spectator while also being able to manipulate different camera angles. You can also choose to be a heel general manager and help certain Superstars along the way.