Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
All the mDickie rumbles are the best, just fantastic game engines and great wrestler names

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

I have been more engaged in all of these nL rumbles than the real rumble. Was elated to see Orlando Jordan beat the odds.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

Can't believe how much fun I had watching these rumbles this year. The various wrestlers changing possession of the hat, socko, membership in Evolution, friendship with Ahmed Johnson, mayorship of Knoxville, TN, etc was better long term booking than WWE in years.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

CarlCX posted:

Fixing the system by turning it into an anticipatory same-input parry system seems like a really, really bad idea to me.

I'm pretty sure WWE Battleground used a similar system. And since the game only had a handful of animations for each move, it quickly became very very easy to know exactly what input to parry with. Online matches were an endless series of parrying until someone lagged enough to miss it.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

Holding any excitement off until the control scheme is revealed. Overly complex controls arbitrarily changing every year is why I stopped getting the WWE games.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

Anonymous sources from WrestlingVideoGames.com confirm that Kenny Omega is a big goober and is actively hurting development on the game. He knows nothing about gaming and is a big piece of poo poo, unlike Bret Hart who helped code many of the 16-bit era games himself

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSmKiws-4NU

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

Games Done Quick did a speedrun of Thunder in Paradise for CD-i today. Man, Hulk Hogan gives you poo poo in that game no matter how good you do. He's no fan of the new blood

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

Dishwasher posted:

If it isn't Fire Pro, while simming, nope. Only 4 players is beyond fine.

Edit:

I want to live in the timeline where Day of Reckoning 2 and Wrestlemania 19 got iterated on instead of Smackdown being run into the very ground, into the very dust. (WWE 13 - 15 were good attempts)

At the time, I remember Smackdown being considered a fun, flashy diversion from AKI and Fire Pro while waiting for the real stuff. Smackdown being the main course though? No wonder things went off the rails.

Yeah initially Smackdown was the faster, more arcadey style to the N64's AKi engine. But then THQ went with Yukes moving forward and that was that, and it slowly morphed into the mess of an engine it was that satisfied no one.

I remember Smackdown Shut Your Mouth being so fast paced, you'd chokeslam guys and they'd already pop back up and be hitting you with punches before you completed your choke slam animation.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

Ganso Bomb posted:

Replaying No Mercy last year revealed how much that branching storyline thing sucked if you wanted to 100% everything. You just do the same stuff over and over again with one small change at some point. It gets very boring and annoying.

A good compromise for modern games would be letting you pick where you want to start in the storyline, so you don't have to start over at the very beginning to do the forks.

Also no loving two on one handicap matches

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

Yeah, you're not counting a 2 person ladder match, a 3 person ladder match, a 4 person ladder match, etc as different types. The number goes up to double digits with that, a lot more to count! I had to use my fingers to help

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

I genuinely do hope JR is on commentary, fucks up names often, and get surly if your match is bad.

Story mode should just be text with Star Fox SNES-like voices for the wrestlers

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

WWE Battlegrounds is pretty simplistic and I had a decent amount of fun with it. Unfortunately, it only has 5 movesets between all the characters and like most modern WWE games, once you memorize all the animations you'll know exactly when to counter, so CPU battles become easy and online battles last forever.

Retromania Wrestling and Action Arcade Wrestling are fine if you get them on sale, but don't go for much outside the old school 2D wrestling game style.

Really can't go wrong with MDickie like everyone else said.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

I'd love to have it out, but I figure any release date Dec 25-31 is just a placeholder for companies.

Awaiting my annual email from Amazon telling me my pre-order for Metroid Prime 4 has been pushed back to Dec 31, 2023 :(

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

Latest nL stream on it is great - Wrestling Empire truly is the apex of wrestling games

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

mdickie is the only wrestling game creator advanced enough to put that poo poo in. gut it out to finish the match with a torn quad and then literally die backstage like a true pro

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

I will buy the new WWE game if there's a button to do NXT face when my opponent kicks out of a basic bodyslam

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

By the time Fight Forever comes out, I'll be too occupied playing Beyond Good and Evil 2

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

AEW game delayed because they are breaking it in two like Pokémon. AEW Fight Forever: Dynamite and AEW Fight Forever: Collision. You have to buy both to get the full roster and are absolutely forbidden from using certain people in the wrong game.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

Punk is hidden under the production truck. You will need a wrestler who knows surf (it CANNOT be Scott Colton) to get there.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

The AKI engine will always exist and people are still making great mods for the games. If you were scared off in the past by all the emulator poo poo you'd have to do to get it working, it's much better these days and people just do 1 installer package that gets you whatever you need. Just buy a N64 USB controller and have fun.

The stuff I've seen of the AEW game looks cool, I'm excited to play it. I will likely get it on Steam, but I'm also interested how the Switch version plays. If it can play smoothly I'd be down for it, graphics be damned.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

Switch footage doesn't look like wrestling in molasses, that's all I needed to pull the trigger on the pre-order.
WWE 2k18 Switch was so bad that 2k shouldn't even be allowed to sell that poo poo.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

No problem with game reviewers or their opinions - except those who trashed MDickie games in their reviews of AEW: Fight Forever. Sorry you're mad about the AEW game but don't talk trash about the king.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

Malcolm Excellent posted:

How the gently caress do you unlock tall paul.

Online i've read you just gotta keep losing until chapter 4 in story mode. 3 times now Tall Paul hasn't even shown up

I just kept winning and never losing and he showed up. Someone is messing with me at Double or Nothing and sabotaged my car, I arrived at the arena with no time to spare and was told I had to beat Tall Paul in 3 minutes. It was only possible via count out for me at least.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

Everyone's complaints about the game and challenges are totally valid, they just make me realize how much I've internalized and adapted to all the wrestling game BS from playing them 25 years or so.

Ah, a tag match. I'll just obliterate the one guy and then make sure to attack his partner before I pin so he fucks up his save.
Ah, a three way. I'll make sure to throw the legal guy out and then get a count out victory as beating all three is loving impossible.
Ah, I have to beat this character to unlock them. Time to cheese a count out as I'm sure they have every kick-out buff possible.

This game IS very authentic to AKI mode story bullshit and challenges

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

People are already putting out MODs for basic poo poo in the PC version like health regeneration or longer health so matches don't end so quickly. I bought it on Switch, but now I have a Steamdeck so I'm looking forward to getting AEW on sale eventually. Hopefully by that time modders will have made it a more robust game.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

Yeah. My ideal modern wrestling game would be something with the in-game mechanics of Fight Forever, but all the career mode/CAW/bells and whistles that come with the WWE presentation. Alas.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

In the latest POIPL da clown JR. stream, a referee picks up an errant bundle of dynamite and slams it into the ground while counting the three. It explodes upon the 3 count and launches all the competitors, and also doesn't count as a pin.

https://clips.twitch.tv/LightOptimisticLouseTBCheesePull-E2esC9Y1bopi0mHH

Until another wrestling game is capable of generating such magnificence, Wrestling Empire will remain the greatest professional wrestling game of all time.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

How many more years of development time do they need to add match sliders or health recovery so matches don’t end so quickly

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

I love that the count out victory has been the technique of choice for wrestling game bosses for so long. Even in Nintendo Power/Fun Club News they would tell kids not to bother trying to beat Great Puma and just get him counted out. I was playing Saturday Night Slammasters the other night on hard difficulty and you can't even gently caress with Scorpion in the ring, just had to keep going to the outside and cheaply hit him when he follows.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

Whatever they used to get for royalties, I remember a lot of newsletter reports of how mad the wrestlers got when the games went from THQ to 2k and their royalties MASSIVELY went down.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

quote:

DLC 3: Pat McAfee Pack - July 24
Pat McAfee
Playable co-hosts - stay tuned for more info!

I have no interest in playing as AJ Hawk or WWE co-hosts, but let me do a diamond cutter with Lee Corso and I'm starting to get interested

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

Yeah but did WWF Attitude let you play Penta Says and other incredible mini games