Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

Shima Honnou posted:

Neat. I was wondering what they would be doing for the period not-WWF portions of it.

Given what has been done in the past, the only thing I was wondering was how awful Cole & JBL would be calling an ECW match from 1995

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
You know, the animations leave something to be desired, but I really like how the developers of this made it so you can hit your finisher from multiple places. Would really add something to the 2K series

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbwKx9JzUvk

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
"comprehensive story of his entire career"

starts well into it, ends well before it

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

Basic Chunnel posted:

Last year's weren't as high, though it could just as easily have been reflections of card position or the way that abilities (bridging pins, etc) inflated scores. All of a sudden Dolph Ziggler had like an 84 and Cesaro was in the same low-90s tier as Batista and Orton. But most of the roster ran the gamut from like 79 to 86, iirc

Which is still not really great, because nobody is really special and everyone is about the same. Although I guess that's 100% accurate to the product, so...

HCTP's stats are probably ideal. I remember unlocking 90s Undertaker and feeling like he was a world beater because he was a 93.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
Regardless of the Horsewomen bullshit, the roster is pretty excellent. I will be pretty bummed (but not surprised) if the game turns out to be bad again.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
I do wonder where the worst parts come from. Is Yukes just a hired gun that takes direction from THQ/2K? Is it collaborative? What would these games have been like if THQ made the correct decision to go with AKI when they jumped to the PS2/Xbox/Gamecube generation? Almost feels like we're never getting a good game again at this point.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
The only thing that would make me pay for a game like this (and we're talking $5-10) would be a game that at least was riddled with amazing bugs. I had so much fun with WWE 12 because it was so poorly made.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
I doubt he's furious, but I would be annoyed at the possible assumptions that he's involved with a game franchise, much less one as terrible as this one

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

simosimo posted:

I do love how current day wwe is secondary to legacy stars/periods in games.

I do wonder what very young kids think when they keep see ATTITUDE era and some bald guy getting a storrweee mode.

In 5-10 years time will the games still heavily feature the legends like mortal kombat and street fighter?

Yes. What are they gonna do? Feature the amazing storylines like Rusev vs. Ziggler and Wyatt vs. Ambrose?

Alternatively they could go the other route and feature forgotten people who were quickly let go. Vade Hansen, Kizarny, Erik Escobar, and more!! ONLY in WWE 2K19!!!

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

Gaz-L posted:

On 2k16 talk: I just saw Rollins do a pop-up Pedigree. WHY IS THAT A THING?

I'm pretty sure WWE has a list of moves that they require be included in every new mode or mechanic, whether it's pop-up moves, catching moves, creation suites, etc. even if they don't make any sense. Thus, a pop-up Pedigree.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
I think the game is fine. It's definitely rough, the devs definitely do not understand why the best wrestling games are so beloved, and some models are horrible (Did they not get the rights to Whipwreck's appearance?). I LOVE the little things like multiple attires, auto-managers, and the little animations. That said, it's fine. It's not No Mercy, it's not SVR 06. But it's also not Backyard Wrestling, SVR 08, or TNA Impact. There's room for improvement which probably won't happen, but I'll buy the Season Pass when it gets a discount in a few months and peer pressure HulkaMatt to get it so we can try and find glitches with KungFuGrip like the good ol' days of 4 years ago

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
Who the hell would want anyone in that pack besides Joe

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
I think at this point the games are no longer bad, just very mediocre and slow.

Which honestly may be worse from an entertainment standpoint

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

KungFu Grip posted:

Rumors going around that WWE 2K17 story mode is based on Triple H's career and they did body scans last month including Nakamura and AJ Styles.

That seems like something that would might be playing until the point in his career that he tears his quad

Also these kinds of things have kind of lost a bit of their luster now that the Network is around

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
I really enjoyed seeing Goldberg is the pre-order bonus for 2K17 because you know they have truly run out of bell & whistle selling points when they're touting a guy who was unceremoniously a random roster member a few years ago.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
HHH Showcase would include mini games for cycling in 2001-02 and then eating cheeseburgers in 2003.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
I thought 2K16 was fine, but the biggest problem is the sluggish speed of matches. This seems like something they most likely won't budge too easily on, since it's probably someone's grand idea of how the game should run.

I also can't really see many gimmicks that they can trot out anymore to cover up the shortcomings like in the last 5 years. Nostalgia modes aren't as novel, especially with the Network out there. They've exhausted the old stars to the point they're marketing a guy who has been in a ton of games. Hard times.

Nut Bunnies fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Jul 22, 2016

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

Davros1 posted:

Is it still the rumor that the main mode this year is going to be "play through HHH's career" (ala Austin?)

Regrettable posted:

Someone hasn't played 2k15. 16 is a dream compared to that hot garbage.

It is, but the philosophy of the devs seems to be making it more of a simulation of wrestling as if it were real. That kind of thing is fine for real sports, but it doesn't really make sense for wrestling. The best games have a balance of sports simulation and arcade absurdity. 2K15 and 2K16 go too far in the simulation direction.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
Legacy features from when the game was more arcadey doesn't count.

Also MyCareer is one of the biggest loving slogs I've ever experienced outside of an RPG. Having to use everything in my move set & dragging out a match to get what little extra points I can grab is a horrible experience. I get what they're going for, but it was a huge misfire.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
Day of Reckoning had a perfectly fine career mode where you started on the bottom 12 years ago

Also a better wrestling experience than most games since

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
Hmm, the biggest criticism of the current gen games from both reviewers and players is how it slavishly tries to recreate the platonic ideal of 2010s WWE instead of being a fun pick up and play wrestling game. How will 2K respond?

2K posted:

Fans have been asking us to truly improve the core gameplay experience since we inherited the brand, and we are taking your requests seriously – from controls to presentation to individual features. We’ve shifted the gameplay experience focus from an arcade-centric, fighting game style to simulation-based gameplay, and WWE 2K17 continues pushing in that direction with both improved and new gameplay mechanics.

O...k...you're doubling down on a bad idea, but maybe there's some good in there. Surely they've removed the sub-JRPG grinding in MyCareer and made it more fun, right?

2K posted:

MyCareer also gets some exciting new features for WWE 2K17. We incorporated the new Promo Engine, so Superstars can express themselves to the WWE Universe and also call out or respond to other WWE Superstars. Backstage interviews with Renee Young take on a whole new dimension with our new backstage brawling gameplay

Imagine being this tone deaf

Nut Bunnies fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Aug 13, 2016

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
One of the problems is that they want to have their cake and eat it to with regards to matches. You can't make a WWE game that is more simulation than arcade, more Sports Entertainment than King's Road, and have every match end up with 2-5+ finishers being performed before a victory.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
Whoever at 2K is praying at the altar of TV Accurate Simulation needs to be fired, re-hired, fired, then blackballed

Also I think Backstage Brawls has been announced as a new feature like 5 times in this series. Backstage Brawls are a nice microcosm of the difference of what consumers want and what 2K thinks they want. 2K gives you a hallway while we all just want to jump off a helicopter or the Smackdown Fist.

Nut Bunnies fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Aug 18, 2016

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

Davros1 posted:

They've had entrances without a mixed tag before (Hart Dynasty)

MNM too

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

KungFu Grip posted:

I'm gonna trick Hulkamatt, CC, and Goog into buying it again this year.

Nah, it's not even fun online. You can't exploit glitches because the lag combined with the molasses slow gameplay makes it unplayable.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

Little Mac posted:

Why would anyone want a new game in the AKI engine? Those games REALLY don't hold up today.

Those games are still fun and wildly better than the majority of wrestling games released since 2000

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
The weight limit stuff in SVR07 is super funny because it came after SVR06 that had a Challenge Mode with certain scenarios to beat that would unlock things like new belts and stuff. The hardest one was one where you had to beat Khali as Mickie James.

SVR07 was such a buggy, tedious piece of poo poo, especially coming after the fantastic 06. The weight limits were bad, but they also replaced a bunch of moves in everyone's moveset with dumb analog stick-based moves.

I remember the last time I played it, the game froze when Dusty Rhodes was coming out with a created belt because created belts were such a tire fire.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
Ugh, Fire Pro won’t open on my computer. Just open to the spinning progress wheel and the end process window. Reinstalling and removing some workshop content hasn’t worked.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
Reverifying and rebooting/restating haven’t worked. Trying to troubleshoot with them over email now.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
Hopefully the Kudo Driver can somehow defy the odds and make it into the game 20 years after it probably should have

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

Aphrodite posted:

Angle is the preorder, Batista and RVD come with the Deluxe or Cena versions.

I guess this appeals to late teens and early 20 somethings that grew up with these guys, but it's hilarious to me that they have to resort to using wrestlers that have been in multiple Smackdown/SVR/WWE games as pre-order and upsell bonuses.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

Astro7x posted:

Here is who is new in just 2K18

I get what you mean but 9 of those people have been in WWE/SVR games lol

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
I've seen some videos of 2K18 on YouTube, and has this series always had such awful screen tearing, or is that a new feature for 2017

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
It'll probably be bad, but haven't people been wanting an All-Stars successor?

I also do like how the first reply sarcastically thanks them for including a 2 year old version of Bryan

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

Gaz-L posted:

Honestly, the biggest eureka moment EA has had in like a decade was when they made a Star Wars game with no microtransactions, no multiplayer 'game as service' element and no DLC and... it was successful. Like, the idea of 'make game, sell game, profit' is now a novelty.

Of course Madden 21 is about to come out with a Franchise mode whose selling points are literally the kind of stuff you'd see in a minor patch so I dunno about that.

Microtransactions are truly the worst thing to happen to video games.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

CarlCX posted:

The UFC 4 beta is out, by all reports it is significantly worse than UFC 3, they took out fighter stats and replaced them with a star system, and as a general statement on its visual quality,

https://twitter.com/harknessshane/status/1283086920533381126

That is a BIT unfair since Call of Duty's budget for just their celebrity guest skins is probably bigger than all of UFC 4's.

But EA sucks gently caress em

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
I just want to be able to give downloaded moves to whomst I want instead of having to clone them or delete them and find one with the moves pre-installed

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
The only halfway good WWE game I've played in the last decade was uh...SVR2011? And that wasn't even great, just fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

JOHN CENA posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0hLk0oXspA

its very different. soundtrack is hype tho

This is delightfully early to mid 90s feeling.

Some joshi promotion should do a parody video of it