Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DinosaurDavid

Froody

dogcrash truther posted:

what's the best restaurant you have all ever eaten at?

There's this little restaurant in my dad's old home town on the main street, and it looks like nothing. You go in, and there's only 5 tables and it's got like classic turn of the century european decor. Like dark oak wood paneling and over the top laid tables, crystal glass everywhere. The food is expensive but they have a lunch special which gives you three courses for £40. Starter was a duck egg with black pudding, which was like having the most delicious tiny breakfast ever. I had the Sea Bass for main and it was incredible. I'm not a fish fan normally, but I was temped by it for some reason, and didn't regret it. Roulade for desert which almost dissapointed me. It looked like a normal chocolate log when they bought it out, but it was made with really chestnutty chocolate or something.

Looked up the place later and it had a goddamn michelin star.

Just got back into cooking after living in a shared house with strangers and not really feeling very comfortable being in a shared kitchen long enough to make real effort food. Moved to my new place, and now the kitchen is my domain again. Forgotten how do a lot of things I really liked doing, making the perfect omelettes, chicken roasts, ratatouille, because I'd kinda just memorized the timings, and now I'm having to look up recipes just to remember how long to soft boil an egg...

I really need to buy a new set of cookware, but everything is super expensive. I think I've managed to rationalize it by the fact even if a full set of pots and pans costs £200-£300 its going to last for a long time, perhaps decades.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

If budget is an issue, you really can't go wrong with Cuisinart or Tramontina. Tramontina you can only get from Walmart, but they're really not at all bad. I mean yeah if money is no object, it's All-Clad all day, but I've been putting my kitchenware together for years and only own one All-Clad saucepan. I do own a Le Creuset dutch oven that I will have buried with me but that was a wedding present and not a purchase I would have easily been able to justify otherwise. This thread is really good for planning kitchen purchases.

om nom nom

om nom nom nom nom nom nom

Dennis Rasmussen posted:

cut up bits of bacon, get most of the grease out of the pan (not all tho), cut the ends off the brussel sprouts and remove the loose leaves, cut them in half lengthwise (perpendicular to the stem ends you cut off), heat the pan and throw the brussel sprouts in the pan, cook until fork tender on medium/medium-high, basically until they get crispy on the edges and tender, add salt and pepper and mix in the lardons (reserved bacon). you can do the same thing without the bacon, but brussel sprouts and bacon really do go together great.

i support this and i like to put apples in it too

om nom nom

im on date night in town looks like ill have lots of posts to catch up on come wednesday!

my new dog

by Nyc_Tattoo
im really hungry now :(

Royal P

Raarr
i have a pork tenderloin in the fridge that i need to cook p soon

im tempted to make a stew out of it because thats excellent leftover food and i live alone but i also feel like that would be a form of tenderloin abuse

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

Royal P posted:

i have a pork tenderloin in the fridge that i need to cook p soon

im tempted to make a stew out of it because thats excellent leftover food and i live alone but i also feel like that would be a form of tenderloin abuse

I see nothing wrong with using tenderloin for stew, especially if that's what you want to make with it. A cursory search with google brings up a bunch of recipes that call for pork tenderloin. I say go to town.

But if you choose to roast it whole or something similar, be sure to brine it first. Most lean cuts of meat, especially pork nowadays, benefit massively from some time spent in a simple brine.

For pork I like to make a quick concentrate of hot/warm water of 1 cup water to 1/4 cups each of kosher salt and brown sugar. Once the salt and sugar are dissolved, mix that with 2 cups cold water and some ice cubes. Make sure the brine is cold before adding the pork. But once you have that, just add the pork to the brine and wait a half hour to a couple of hours. Then use your pork for whatever it is you wanted ot do, but now it tastes beter and will stay juicy more easily. I refuse to make even pork chops without brining them.

Royal P

Raarr

Bo-Pepper posted:

I see nothing wrong with using tenderloin for stew, especially if that's what you want to make with it. A cursory search with google brings up a bunch of recipes that call for pork tenderloin. I say go to town.

But if you choose to roast it whole or something similar, be sure to brine it first. Most lean cuts of meat, especially pork nowadays, benefit massively from some time spent in a simple brine.

For pork I like to make a quick concentrate of hot/warm water of 1 cup water to 1/4 cups each of kosher salt and brown sugar. Once the salt and sugar are dissolved, mix that with 2 cups cold water and some ice cubes. Make sure the brine is cold before adding the pork. But once you have that, just add the pork to the brine and wait a half hour to a couple of hours. Then use your pork for whatever it is you wanted ot do, but now it tastes beter and will stay juicy more easily. I refuse to make even pork chops without brining them.

ooh, neat! ive been roasting meat for years now but nobody ever told me about brining. gonna try this now.

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

Royal P posted:

ooh, neat! ive been roasting meat for years now but nobody ever told me about brining. gonna try this now.

Here's a long boring article about it!

http://www.finecooking.com/articles/why-brining-keeps-meat-moist.aspx

Rodatose

corn, corn, corn

great! I do not know anything about methods of cooking past finishing a meal. My technique is describable as vulgar at best, or 'cook everything in a pan for a long time and add a bunch of spices.' This thread is great and especially this is helpful because I am going brine so many things

Cosmic Charlie

How do you do? Truckin' in style along the avenue
Today I put (brined) pinto and great northern beans in the crock pot with hickory smoked sausage, chicken stock and a can of coors light, seasoned with garam masala and rosemary, it was very good. I had two bowls.

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

Hey, does everyone have a cast iron pan? Because they should.

Cosmic Charlie

Bo-Pepper posted:

I have an electric glass top range :(

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

Cosmic Charlie posted:

I have an electric glass top range :(

Tell me what it's like to have a real man kick sand in your face every time you go to the beach?

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

But seriously get an induction burner and use parchment paper to avoid scratching it. Problem solved.

Paper towel's good too.

Cosmic Charlie

Bo-Pepper posted:

Tell me what it's like to have a real man kick sand in your face every time you go to the beach?

I gotta tell ya, I dont care for it

City of Glompton

Bo-Pepper posted:

I have two (thanks mom! she's the best)

om nom nom

Dennis Rasmussen posted:

24 hr braise... how do you manage that? Looks amazing. A restaurant near here has an extremely tender, amazingly good rioja braised brisket and I always wondered how they did it.

200 degrees, I put it on at the end of my shift when i work the same shift the next day, so that im there for the last 10-12 hours to check on it

om nom nom

besides what everyone days, pork belly is unique in its fat content, in that its totally separate from the lean meat. most meat has marbling, pork belly has a layer of pure fat and a layer of pure lean, which makes for a unique mouthfeel. jowels actually have the same thing going in and if you havent had jowel bacon ("face bacon") you should

dogcrash truther posted:

what's the best restaurant you have all ever eaten at?

momofuku in new york was mindfuck awesome. ill have to think about the best meal question cause there are many

om nom nom

and of course i have a cast iron pan! got rid of the cast iron wok when we moved to the park. that thing was a dream, too forever to preheat, but when it did it never cooled down

om nom nom

alright now its effort post time; its called i sure hope you make your own stock or broth.
if you aren't, you should, it's easy! here's a recipe:

5lb bones (beef, veal, chicken, fish. if you dont have them from cooking theyre like 50 cents/lb at a butcher)
1lb onion
.5lb carrot
.5lb celery
.5lb leeks (optional)
1 lb tomato (optional)
7 sprigs thyme
6 bay leaves
10 cloves garlic
1/4 lb shallots

If you are making beef or veal stock, turn the oven to 400 and roast the bones until they smell awesome/get some dark color. they will drip fat as they roast so make sure the pan you put them on is at least 1/2 inch deep.

Chop your vegetables into chunks, it doesn't really matter how big. put everything into a large stock pot, cover with cold water, bring to a simmer NOT a boil. Skim any fat/impurities that rise to the surface frequently. For beef/veal stock, simmer 6-8 hours; chicken 4-6 hours, fish 1-2 hours. Strain, freeze in 1 cup (or whatever portions).

i like to put 1/2lb chunk bacon in my chicken stock, its pretty awesome but gives it a much more aggresive flavor than broth/stock would normally have, plus there's salt which it wouldnt normally have.

the difference between broth and stock is stock uses bones and broth uses meat.

if i ever mention "veal demi" thats when i make 30 gallons of veal stock and reduce it to about 2 gallons. it has an incredibly intense flavor and is thick from the gelatin in the beef, and it is what i use to base a lot of sauce, or throw a half cup or so into shredded meat things, or soup broths for a flavor boost

om nom nom

Dennis Rasmussen posted:

I am no baker or anything, but I got Ken Forkish's book on bread, following his instructions you can make some amazing bread. I made this the other month:

Was one of the best loaves of bread I've ever had. Bread at home was always really dense and disappointing. Great sandwich bread too.

i missed this post at first. thats fuckin gorgeous man

joke_explainer

om nom nom posted:

i missed this post at first. thats fuckin gorgeous man

Thank you! Nobody said anything. I thought maybe it was hideous. I actually showed it to Ken Forkish as a photo at trifecta in town, and he was like 'bake it longer, the crust isn't dark enough.' Next time I did and it was a crispier crust, it was good.

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

Oh man, it's been so long since I made a proper veal stock. It's one of my favorite all day projects. I have a huge (for a home) stock pot that can get me a heavy quart or so of gelatinous bounce a quarter off of it demi-glace. I roast the bones and everything. Slather them with tomato paste. I tried it once the way The French Laundry cookbook describes, but criminy that was a bridge too far.

quote:

Ingredients

10 lbs veal bones
Tomato paste
Carrots
Leeks
Onions
Garlic
Parsley
Thyme
Bay leaves
Fresh Tomatoes

Chef Keller does not tell you the quantitiy of the ingredients.

Directions

1. Place veal bones in a large soup pot and fill with cold water. Turn the burner to a medium heat, move the bones around a little, skim off the gunk occasionally, and bring the pot of water and bones to a boil, about 1.15 minutes. As soon as the pot begins to simmer, turn off the heat and drain the bones in a colander. This step is called "Blanching the Bones for Clarification".

2. Rinse the bones and place in a cleaned stock pot. Add 12 quarts of water and begin what Chef Keller calls "The Initial Extraction of Flavor From Bones and Aromatics to Obtain a First Liquid". Heat over medium heat and bring to a simmer, about 1.15 minutes. Skim every 15 minutes. Once liquid is simmering, add tomato paste, carrots, leeks, onions, garlic, parsley, thyme, bay leaves, and fresh tomatoes. Let it simmer for about 4 hours...skming every 20 minutes or so. When ready, strain it and save the bones and aromatics for the next step. He strains this part of the stock into a smaller pot, puts it into a sink full of ice, and stirs to cool before refrigerating.

3. To make the Veal #2, or "Remoistening" is the 2nd extraction. Place the veal bones and aromatics into a clean pot. Bring to a simmer and simmer for 4 more hours...skimming every 20 minutes. Strain the liquid and cool it.

4. Mix the 2 liquids and refrigerate overnight.

5. Take both liquids and bring to a simmer. Now simmer for 7 hours and reduce, reduce, reduce it.

6. Ladle 2 cups at a time and freeze...use as necessary.

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

Dennis Rasmussen posted:

Thank you! Nobody said anything. I thought maybe it was hideous. I actually showed it to Ken Forkish as a photo at trifecta in town, and he was like 'bake it longer, the crust isn't dark enough.' Next time I did and it was a crispier crust, it was good.

Oh yeah, I'm sorry I didn't comment. It looks great to me. Way beyond what I'm up to right now. Baking still seems like wizardry to me.

om nom nom

oh i totally forgot about the 2nd wash on the bones! its something i do but didn't put in the post

ive been using tomatoes instead of paste, just roasting them on low (225-250) for a few hours so they really dry out and get tasty, almost like sun-dried tomatoes. we can only get #10 cans of tomato paste in the restaurant, and dont use it for much else, so it seems like a waste to open the can

playground tough
Can I treat this thread like Instagram and just post pictures of the food I eat, provided I use proper grammar and punctuation?

dogcrash truther

Squirrel007 posted:

Can I treat this thread like Instagram and just post pictures of the food I eat, provided I use proper grammar and punctuation?

I would like to see food

dogcrash truther
I'm still a little unclear on what it looks like, so I could use some help in the form of pictures of it

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

The primary means of looking at food is seeing it

om nom nom

Squirrel007 posted:

the grammar part is unnecessary

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

Well poo poo if no one els is going to post pictures, I will. Or I will steal pictures to talk about a fun thing I did with a whole pig one time.

If you ever can, cook a whole pig. You can get your hands on a caja china box where you put the whole pig inside, close it off and put the hot coals on top. Leave that pig in there most of the day.

Then it eventually looks like this.

If that doesn't appeal to you then you're either fluffieduckie or some godless heathen.

dogcrash truther

Bo-Pepper posted:

Well poo poo if no one els is going to post pictures, I will. Or I will steal pictures to talk about a fun thing I did with a whole pig one time.

If you ever can, cook a whole pig. You can get your hands on a caja china box where you put the whole pig inside, close it off and put the hot coals on top. Leave that pig in there most of the day.

the first thought I had when I saw that was "it has wheels so I can steal it, and the pig"

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

dogcrash truther posted:

the first thought I had when I saw that was "it has wheels so I can steal it, and the pig"

please don't steal my crispy pig

ZebTM

i mainly just cook frozen pizza but i csn also fry things in butter without them burning which is a step above my parents. willing to give advice to anyone not as advanced as me

von Braun

Broder Daniel Forever
pro tip on burgers: put dijon mustard on the top bun.

Luvcow

One day nearer spring

I would eat that crispy pig

cat_herder

BE GAY
DO CRIME

I wish I was good enough at cooking to just put things together without looking up recipes online. I don't know how to learn this skill without going to culinary school though, and I'm broke as poo poo.

I do plan to make molasses & coffee pork chops later tonight, tho. I found a recipe for it through Supercook, and I'm looking forward to it.

i am he

meteloides posted:

I wish I was good enough at cooking to just put things together without looking up recipes online. I don't know how to learn this skill without going to culinary school though, and I'm broke as poo poo.

I do plan to make molasses & coffee pork chops later tonight, tho. I found a recipe for it through Supercook, and I'm looking forward to it.

post pics please, after you make it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mailorder bees

FLUFFERNUTTER
i made a lasagna with homemade sauce