Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bacalou

thinking bout ceramic knives

bo pep care to weigh in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

Not a fan, though I admit I've never used one. The deal breaker for me is that, while very sharp, they are very hard and can be prone to chipping. Also, once the edge goes away that's pretty much it for the average home user. You can send it to the factory to be sharpened or learn delicate techniques with extra equipment you would need to buy yourself.

Lil Cunty

Bo-Pepper posted:

Oh god no not glass never glass stop it please not glass. Glass dulls your knives. In turn your knives become dull. A dull knife is a dangerous knife. You want a sharp knife that goes where you tell it to go, not some glass dulled bullcrap that slides off that tomato and into your finger.

Here, get a Sani-Tuff rubber cutting board. It actually combines the best of wood and plastic except it looks bland as hell.

http://www.centralrestaurant.com/Restaurant-Rubber-Cutting-Board-12-inWx18-inD-3-4-in-Thick-c82p12982.html?gclid=CKO53NmQr8ACFStk7Aod3h0AJg

ty i don't mind bland because my cutting boards live in the cupboard

e: also i promise i will smash the glass one when i get home and roll around in the glass in shame

emmie

bee

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

fried bees make a tasty protein packed addition to any salad!

emmie

bee

Lil Cunty

Bo-Pepper posted:

fried bees make a tasty protein packed addition to any salad!

:(

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

sautee bee larvae and sprinkle them with salt for a tupperware snack to munch on the go!

emmie

bee

poverty goat

I ordered 3 oz of dried chipotles from amazon (along with some dried habs) with some other spices prepping for chilli season and amazon sent me a case of 8 3 oz bags of chipotles that I now need to use

I've never really done anything with chipotles other than fishing them out of adobo to put in chilli because my area doesn't have very many mexicans so I don't know where to find a decent selection of quality dried peppers. I was going to grill some country style ribs tonight anyway so I looked up a chipotle dry rub that looked good. I left out the salt because I brined the ribs and it blew my mind how tasty they were. I had some bbq sauce ready to baste on but the sample pork nuggets that got separated on the grill were so tasty that I put the bbq sauce away. I'll probably just make a whole bunch of that rub and put it in a jar for easy access since I've got chipotles for loving years.

I didn't take any pics though because I was caught up in the heat of the moment.

alnilam

tonight i had one of those "what do i have in the house, that i can make" nights and it turned out really well

I was like "pasta hmm yes" but i don't have any crushed tomato, nor the basis for a rue, nor parmasean cheese!

however, I do have a cranberry stilton that is amazing and that all i've ever done with it is eat it straight up, so I was like "hmm cranberry stilton, a sweet dessert cheese, on pasta?? :monocle: by joe it's just crazy enough to work!"

So I gathered about 3 large leaves each of kale and chard from my garden, along with a very hearty handful of basil, and 2 thai chilis, cause i want some heat but not a ton (due to the sweet cheese angle)
Also get 1 onion, and a ton of garlic duhh
cut them up and saute them in oilive oil with some salt to taste (I'm a very light salter) and some sage and some black pep
also make a cup or 2 of textured vegetable protein so i can grow big and strong - I like to reconstitute TVP in veg broth for extra flave
add the TVP into the saute mix and keep sauteing a little longer

All the while, cook up 3 meals worth of pasta (mine was fettucine but idc which one you make)

then get an appropriate plate for the occasion

then crumble on dat cranberry stilton and garnish with some finely chopped tomatoes

turned out tasty af

sorry i'm really bad at presentation but idgaf as long as it's delicious

alnilam

also bo peps ty for your cutting board advbice, I'll look into it

fwiw i don't eat meat so i don't end up with meat germs in the cracks, but I know there are other germs that can take root in there

also i often cut stuff on this wooden alaskan bowl + curvy knife thing that my grandma got me, I really love cutting things in that bowl, but sometimes you just need a flat board too

e: also i agree gently caress glass cutting boards forever, i cooked at someone's house who had one once and I was like "wtf is this, my knife gonna slide all over the dern place"
srsly at my job i often cut small things with a razor under a microscope and i have learned to NEVER cut a sample directly on the glass slide cause it's slippy as poo poo

alnilam fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Aug 27, 2014

poverty goat

You're more likely to get e coli from raw veggies than raw meat anymore anyway

dogcrash truther
This thread is learnding me things

Luvcow

One day nearer spring
These guys finally ripened, all pics from today were poo poo so this is them a month or two ago

Harvested a bunch and making Concord grape jelly tomorrow, do it early enough and include some green grapes and no need to add pectin.

Little Blue Couch

WIRED FOR SOUND
AND
DOWN FOR WHATEVER
about to make a can of Dennison's Chunky Chili. lot of ways to prep this dish but i'm going with heating it in a saucepan; love that lonely sound of the spoon scraping against the bottom of the pan

Little Blue Couch

WIRED FOR SOUND
AND
DOWN FOR WHATEVER
i think the worst part about being a cook as a job is that instead of going home and cooking good meals you go home and make the easiest thing you can think of. for example the other day i had for dinner some bread

a ritard

by XyloJW
now i work as a cook so i like to keep it simple at home, but here is my steak recipe:

new york strip (any size, i usually go 8oz)
spices (black pepper and thyme, use any combination you like)

heat an all-metal saute pan (frying pan) to about 250 degrees (i know my electric range by simmer and boil so it's a little bit above that)

drop the steak in before it's too hot (if it doesn't sizzle, give the pan another minute to warm up)

let the steak sizzle for about 3 minutes. flip, spice the cooked side, and do the same to the other side.

drop the pan into the high oven rack and turn on the broiler on high. i like to close the oven door.

wait 6-10 minutes (you'll hear the steak really start to make noise), remove and set on the stovetop, flip the steak and let it rest 5 minutes. ideally you'll want to pull the steak just before it starts making noise, let the steak rest on a cutting board if you think it's a bit overdone.

do not trim the fat before cooking. enjoy your steak with some greens.

on ceramic knives: i tested some out and they stay extremely sharp for a long time. BUT you have to be very careful about chips, and sharpening them properly yourself is very difficult, which means that you need 2 (i get them pretty cheap - way cheaper for 2 than i'd pay for a steel slicer) the only place i know that sharpens them well is in san diego so there is a bit of shipping time and a bit of cost but if you need stuff REALLY drat SHARP and don't have the time i would try one out.

a ritard

by XyloJW

Little Blue Couch posted:

i think the worst part about being a cook as a job is that instead of going home and cooking good meals you go home and make the easiest thing you can think of. for example the other day i had for dinner some bread

it's all about going big - instead of cooking up a nice little dinner after being stuck in the office all day you spend part of your day off making a big-rear end pot of chili or just stocking your fridge with veggies so you really don't have much choice in eating healthy :) that's the ideal, anyway.

e: i made 350 dinners tonight... i can make one more for myself. seriously cleaning services are gifts from the heavens.

alnilam

Cast iron pan clean tip:

U know how you can't use no soap or nothin? But sometimes something is kinda stuck on there, and water + rag doesn't do the job, what u do

Keep a cup of Used Coffee Grounds around! Dry them out on a dish so they don't get no moldy. Sprinkle some in dirty pan and use it as mild abrasivvve while you wipe with rag

Don't forget to dry, then put on stove with a little oil brushed around and heat it for a few minutes

alnilam fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Aug 29, 2014

poverty goat

Tonight for dessert I peeled some peaches and poached them in sweet white wine, honey and vanilla w/ the reduced syrup and it was delicious

alnilam posted:

Cast iron pan clean tip:

i just use coarse salt

alnilam

gggiiimmmppp posted:

Tonight for dessert I peeled some peaches and poached them in sweet white wine, honey and vanilla w/ the reduced syrup and it was delicious

i just use coarse salt

Dessert: Sounds amazing

Coarse salt: that works very well too but i like the coffee grounds so i don't have to waste salt, after all i always have freshly used grounds arounds :coffeepal:

poverty goat

ive been brining pork and chicken left and right lately because gently caress, why have I not been doing this all my life? so a tablespoon here and there to clean out my cast iron is just a drop in a bucket of salt that I pour down the drain every few days

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

i'm glad you discovered the simple joy of brined meats

Slaapaav

by Azathoth
im loving rice noodles right now because they are easy to make and cheap as gently caress and taste nice with tons of stuff.

Mac Tonight

aw yeah tahts it man
I made beer brined grilled pork chops a couple times last year using cheap beers like bud and redds apple ale and they were pretty good but the ones i made with great lakes dortmunder gold were awesome. any suggestions for other beers to use in a brine?

joke_explainer

Mac Tonight posted:

I made beer brined grilled pork chops a couple times last year using cheap beers like bud and redds apple ale and they were pretty good but the ones i made with great lakes dortmunder gold were awesome. any suggestions for other beers to use in a brine?

I dunno man. Just make sure you add some salt. Without salt brining doesn't do its thing.

I've got some issues though.

The brining.

It changes the texture.

It makes it... kind of wishy washy.

But what is the alternative?

It is an easy way to keep stuff from drying out.

But also the skin... the skin on poultry suffers. Not as crisp as if you don't brine.

I'm conflicted.

Cosmic Charlie

How do you do? Truckin' in style along the avenue

Security Drone posted:

I dunno man. Just make sure you add some salt. Without salt brining doesn't do its thing.

I've got some issues though.

The brining.

It changes the texture.

It makes it... kind of wishy washy.

But what is the alternative?

It is an easy way to keep stuff from drying out.

But also the skin... the skin on poultry suffers. Not as crisp as if you don't brine.

I'm conflicted.

Injection maybe?

bacalou

aren't brined meats bad for you I mean nitrates are bad for you

also do you have any ideas about keeping a dry leafy green based salad good post-prep for as long as possible? hate chopping so many vegetables erry day

Mac Tonight

aw yeah tahts it man

Security Drone posted:

well yeah not just beer on its own, we put in some salt and brown sugar as well. the recipes we found said to use a dark lager but we just experimented with cheap stuff to see how it would turn out.

i really thought the apple ale would be good because you know, pork and apple, but i that stuff is so weak. maybe it would be better with a decent hard cider instead

Slaapaav

by Azathoth
whenever i cook with beer i always have the best success when using a beer with an actual taste aka not american lite beers

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

LET'S TALK SAUSAGE

Okay. After finally breaking down to just take a day off from work to make sausage because I have no blocks of time like that otherwise, I am finally going to make sausage. Now, before I put it all together and do the proper pic heavy effortpost, I want to let folks know exactly what sausages I will be making tomorrow and perhaps fielding any questions. Please note I have never actually made sausages before, so this could all be a hilarious poo poo show, but I have the gear and the materials all put together so I'm feeling pretty good.

For the record, I am using Michael Ruhlman's amazing book Charcuterie: The Craft of Salting, Smoking, and Curing as my reference throughout. Any knowledge I have about the subject begins there. If this at all interests you, it's a great book and an interesting read.

The most important thing you need to know about putting together your fresh sausage ingredients is the master ratio recipe

code:
Fresh Sausage Master Ratio

5lbs/2.25kgs fresh meat and fat
1 1/2 ounces/40 grams kosher salt (3 tbsp)
Seasonings
1 cup/250 milliliters of ice cold liquid
The master recipe is vague on purpose. But the idea is that if you maintain these ratios, you can obtain a recognizable sausage at the end of your work.

I will be making at least two sausage recipes tomorrow, working from approximately 10 pounds of pork shoulder and fat back. The first is the classic spicy Italian sausage:

code:
4 1/2 lbs of boneless pork shoulder
8 oz pork fat back
3 tbsp kosher salt
2 tbsp sugar
2 tbsp fennel seeds, toasted
1 tbsp coriander seeds, toasted
2 tbsp paprika
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
4 tbsp fresh oregano
4 tbsp fresh basil
2 tbsp hot red pepper flakes (I will likely reduce this for general consumption)
2 tsp ground black pepper
3/4 cup ice water
1/4 cup red wine vinegar, chilled
The second one is an adaptation of Ruhlman's basic fresh garlic sausage. In this case I looked to my garden and noticed I had an abundance of tarragon. So I thought a white wine pork sausage with garlic and tarragon would taste nice. And why not.

code:
4 1/2 lbs of boneless pork shoulder
8 oz pork fat back
3 tbsp kosher salt
3 tbsp minced garlic
4 tbsp fresh tarragon
1 cup white wine, chilled
I may, if I'm able to get the ingredients together tomorrow morning also try a chorizo. I would have to reduce the overall amounts of the above recipes, but I could maintain the ratios without issue. If I can get everything, I will use this recipe or something like it.

code:
5 lbs pork shoulder
3 tbsp kosher salt
2 tbsp ancho chile powder
1 tbsp hot paprika
1 tbsp chipotle powder
1 tbsp minced garlic
1 tsp ground black pepper
1 tbsp chopped fresh oregano
1/2 tsp ground cumin
3 tbsp tequila, chilled
3 tbsp red wine vinegar, chilled
I'm pretty excited. And if it sounds like I'm making too much sausage, well let's say I have more than one household haranguing me for what I'm making tomorrow. Also they freeze very well.

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

i can't help but feel like no one even looks at this thread anymore

Afro Doug

i love to read about good things to eat.

bacalou

i bake a lot during fall and winter so you'll see a lot of that from me in the coming months, bo-p3p

Cosmic Charlie

How do you do? Truckin' in style along the avenue

Bo-Pepper posted:

Incorrect

i am he

Bo-Pepper posted:

i read it because

Afro Doug posted:

i love to read about good things to eat.

thewizardofshoe

I love looking at this thread but I never cook anymore. I have a day off Friday so I'd like to spend it doing some quality grocery shopping and cooking. Maybe a spiced up stir fry to ease back into things, or maybe some enchiladas. Enchiladas are easy and delicious. I shall post Friday if/when I end up doing anything.

joke_explainer

i'm looking at it, I can't wait to see pics of the finished product and maybe even the sausage making

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

I'll post as many pics as seems worth while,

I won't be under the gun with house stuff so that will be nice.