Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

poverty goat

speaking of sausage can someone bring me up to speed on chorizo

every recipe specified that I needed high quality hydroponic chorizo but there are no mexican here so i went to 3 grocery stores and had to settle on the last pack of smithfield chorizo from food lion because it was the only chorizo in town

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cosmic Charlie

How do you do? Truckin' in style along the avenue
Lions are not to be trusted with food we've been over this

treasured8elief

Bo-Pepper posted:

i can't help but feel like no one even looks at this thread anymore

i cant wait to read how your sausages turn out :) :chef:

joke_explainer

gggiiimmmppp posted:

speaking of sausage can someone bring me up to speed on chorizo

every recipe specified that I needed high quality hydroponic chorizo but there are no mexican here so i went to 3 grocery stores and had to settle on the last pack of smithfield chorizo from food lion because it was the only chorizo in town

Chorizo doesn't follow the master sausage recipe Bo-Pepper linked. It's not as fatty as most sausages, it's... mostly just spices and pork by product. It's great, but yeah... not exactly top tier sausage imo.

joke_explainer

bo-pepper how did it go?

Mac Tonight

aw yeah tahts it man
BYOB 8.3: I thought this was the chili forum

alnilam

Tonight i made a really good omelette with peppers, squash, onion/garlic (duh), thai basil from the garden, and what made it really special was the same cranberry stilton from the pasta meal i posted earlier. Sweet cheese + savory meal is great stuff

Also breakfast for dinner :whatup:

Little Blue Couch

WIRED FOR SOUND
AND
DOWN FOR WHATEVER
someone on fb posted this cool recipe and i made it. she basically shared it because some people were talking poo poo about kale, i think? i'm calling it "in defense of kale" and the idea is that you can chop kale up ultra small and slowly add it to a sauce and it will dissolve and make your sauce cool and colorful and herby. the sauce comes out really thick, you'll probably think "this is too thick" but trust me you're wrong. also this recipe is pretty cheap

ingredients
1lb uncased sausage (or you can chop up cased sausages, try to remove the skins)
1 big yellow onion
1 small red onion
about ten oz of kale leaves (maybe like 1 bag) (take out the ribs)
mushrooms (use your judgment)
parsley (i don't care however much you want it's parsley)
garlic
tomato puree
1 lemon (for juice)
thyme
lovely white wine
1lb pasta that can handle a nice thick sauce (rotini)
salt and pepper

mise en place: brunoise yellow onion (chop into tiny tiny pieces), thinly slice red onion, mince 2 cloves garlic (original recipe called for 1 clove but gently caress that), chop up mushrooms, chiffonade whole bag of kale (cut it into tiny ribbons) and then turn the ribbons 90 degrees and cut it into confetti (not a technical term)

1. throw your sausage into a big pan and cook it, chopping it into bits w your spatula, on med hi heat

2. once the sausage has cooked some and a fair amount of fat has built up in the pan, add the onions and garlic. if you feel like there's not enough fat in the pan add maybe 2-3 tsp of olive oil. throw some salt on there. add a few tsp of thyme. (recipe called for fresh but i used dried, so sue me)

3. keep stirring for a bit then let it sit. once poo poo starts sticking to the pan, add a little of your awful wine to deglaze. add some tomato puree and your lemon juice.

4. ok now you basically want your sauce to be just cooking. add a handful of kale, let it cook into nothingness, then add another handful. you don't have to be real scientific about this or anything. i was at medium heat, maybe med-hi, just adding kale by increasingly large handfuls as i got bored. essentially what is gonna happen here is that the kale is going to break down, like it's melting in the fat from the sausage and water from the onions. the kale is the real body of the sauce, the tomato puree and wine are just there to keep things fluid. add a handful of parsley if you're into that. if stuff sticks to the bottom of the pan, add a little more lovely wine. once you've thrown in all your kale, add some pepper to the whole thing, then turn it down to a simmer and cover it.

5. now get your water boiling and make your pasta, which is enough time for the sauce to simmer and the onions to caramelize and for everything to get all smooth and pleasant. i used rotini because i think rotini is a versatile and underrated pasta. if, by the time it's done, you really feel like your sauce is too thick, you can add a half cup of pasta water to the sauce to thin it. (i did)

6. put the pasta into the pan and toss it all together, realizing as you go that no, the sauce wasn't too thick, it just seemed that way at first.

that's my hand in the photo, no it's not a trick of photography i'm just naturally blurry

tradjik

i just ate some junk food from a box

poverty goat

im hungry but its like 4 in the morning so im just gonna have another beer

a ritard

by XyloJW
bo pepper is a hero.

poverty goat

new belgium's tour de fall pale ale is pretty good, if it was year round id drink it instead of sierra nevada pale ale i think

a ritard

by XyloJW
i made some pretty boss scrambled eggs this morning.

4 eggs (beaten)
1&1/2 tsp ground horseradish
dill to taste (about 1/4tsp)
salt to taste
vegetable (canola) oil about 3T (tonnes, haha j/k it's tablespoons, 4 teaspoons per)

heat the pan on medium, add oil until it shimmers.
beat and add the eggs, stir immediately.
add the horseradish. stir again.
keep an eye on it, and don't let it burn (remove from heat while stirring if it starts to get too dark)
when the liquid bits are just about gone (80% gone) add the dill, stir, add salt, stir.

remember when stirring to get the liquid parts to the bottom and the cooked parts to the top. it shouldn't be totally solid (like rubber), it should have a bit of a sheen to it if cooked properly.

goes great on fresh toast with a slice of melon

tradjik

does it matter if theres black lines on ur uncooked rice i am new @ food

a ritard

by XyloJW
black usually isn't good, you want 7 shades lighter of brown.

alnilam

a ritard posted:

vegetable (canola) oil about 3T (tonnes, haha j/k it's tablespoons, 4 teaspoons per)

Good stuff, but fyi a tibbisp is 3 tisps, not 4

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

Okay. I'm fully recovered and able to post about the highs and lows of my initial foray into sausage making.

I already posted the recipes I was working off of. I didn't veer too much other than I couldn't get fresh oregano so I used dried oregano in reduced amounts. So lets begin!

Look how calm and shiny everything is. In the back you see my meat grinder - an expensive piece of kit that will surely not have any problems throughout. In the foreground, you see the sausage stuffer itself. You'll see it in action more later on, but essentially it is a bucket you put meat into with a cranked plunger that slowly extrudes the meat through a tube at the bottom. It's great.

The meat! I used a mix of fancy farm raised pork shoulder and some other shoulder purchased from a nice local butcher. I do not have the address of the second piece of meat. I have about 9 or so pounds of pork shoulder ready to go here. In the back is a baggie of loose pork fatback bits.

Chop up the pork into small pieces that will fit easily into the feeder tube of a meat grinder or whatever poo poo you end up having to use because of reasons. At this point I separated my meat into three portions. One bowl with 4 1/2 lbs pork + 8oz fatback. The other two bowls were set up with half that amount each.

All my spicy Italian sausage ingredients lined up for their class picture. Not pictured - some star anise I added that was not in the initial recipe, but I like star anise so there.

Chop the basil.

Toast the fennel seeds in a hot dry pan until they become aromatic. Do not burn them please yeesh pay attention.

Mix all the spices and herbs in a bowl.

Dump em on top! This is the larger amount of pork by the way. I have a lot of people in line looking for italian sausage from this.

Mix it all up! Now the pork can go the Halloween parade disguised as a bowl of wet beef. Spooky!

Prepare the meat for grinding. Now the key for grinding meat and getting the best outcome is to keep every part of the process as cold as possible. You don't want frozen meat, but you want it to be close. A nice batch of firm chilled meat is optimal. Additionally you want all the machinery the meat is in contact with to be as cold as possible as you will see.

But Bo-Pepper, you ask, why is that vegetable steamer in the middle of that baking sheet?

Bam! Now you can put these both in the freezer without needing two racks, since the top rack is filled with stuff I keep in the freezer. Wait about a half hour or so.

Start preparing your other sausage mixes.

Here is my wine, garlic and tarragon sausage that is essentially my recipe. Though all these ingredients are known to play well together. So why not put them in a sausage? Why not indeed.

Mince that fat garlic.

Plop the mined tarragon, garlic, salt and pepper on the second smaller batch of pork.

Mix it up! Haha you still look like pork nyah nyah. Put this bowl in the fridge.

Here are my ingredients for the chorizo. Now an important step here I neglected to take pictures of. I took some of the dried guajillo and chipotle peppers and put them in a 300 degree oven for about 15 minutes. Why do you do this? Here's why. I took out the seeds and ground them in a cheapo coffee grinder I use sole for that purpose. In that way I made some nice chile powders to mix into the sausage meat.

After that I mixed in all the chorizo ingredients to the chopped meat and set aside in the fridge. You get the idea.

Ready for some grinding?

Here is my grinder ready for action. Note that the external parts that come into contact with the meat have been kept in the freezer for hours and is don't-stick-your-tongue-on-it cold.

At this point I remove my firm italian sausage meat from the freezer and start feeding into the grinder.

Looking good! Not pictured is the ice water the bowl is set into. Again, keep this whole process chilly. Surely everything from this point on is going to go as smoothly as everything preceding it, right?

FIND OUT NEXT TIME!

alnilam

Wait was the wine for drinking or cooking, or both?

Cosmic Charlie

Hell bo pepper im fired up

Afro Doug

there's not a lot of preparation beyond opening the can, but i've been eating the hell out of these lately

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

When last I cut my huge post in half, we were left wondering if everything would continue to go swimmingly?

Well no it did loving not. In a fit of pants on head stupid on my part, I was using a wooden spoon to feed the meat into the grinder. The grinder did initially come with a now lost piece specifically made for this, a piece that was just the length to not touch the grinder screw. Well a wooden loving spoon is way past that.

So the grinder ate the spoon and died.

Oh the motor makes sounds, but the screw doesn't turn anymore. I'm sure with the knowledge and time, it would be an easy fix. Probably just an internal belt that might need replacing given the stress my obstruction caused. But I had neither the knowledge or the time.

At this point, my interest in taking pictures died completely. All I wanted to do was turn my piles of meat into something resembling sausage. So I turned to the food processor.

Now, the food processor is not the optimal meat grinding tool. Its results are inconsistent. But it was all I was left with. I fed batches of the slowly thawing meat into the food processor and pulsed a bunch of times until I got something resembling the consistency I wanted.

And here we are. At this point I added the liquid ingredients to the ground meat. In this case it was 3/4 cup of ice water and 1/4 cup chilled red wine vinegar. I kneaded the meat for about five hand numbing minutes until it achieved a tacky consistency. This more consistently distributes the spices and creates the beginnings of an emulsion that works to prevent a crumbly consistency.

Before I start making actual sausages, I saute up a small bit of the meat. It tastes excellent and nothing like store bought. Honestly I would recommend people using the spice mix in the italian sausage recipe and using that with some coarse ground meat for almost anything. drat good.

Alright. Even if I didn't grind the meat in the way I wanted, I still have some meat that is going to be tuned into sausage today. And here are the tools to do it. To the left is my sausage stuffer. To the right is a bag of hog intestines I got from the butcher already pre-soaked. Guy just has it in the back ready to go. Typically if you buy casings, you need to soak them to get them ready. Not these babies.

Squick them onto the feeder. This is gross and feels gross. It's wet and gross. For the record, I think I washed my hands approximately 50 times during the sausage making process from beginning to end. It was a paper towel holocaust.

Sausage! Okay, I didn't properly take pics of this because at this point I was pretty annoyed and tired. But you turn the crank of the sausage stuffer and feed the ground meat into the casings. Every 6 inches or so you give it a twist to say here right here is a sausage.

Here you can get a good look at my crappy first sausages. I needed to feed the casings forward more slowly and fill the available space rather than letting the meat plop inconsistently in and allowing all those air pockets. I get better.

See? A pile of spicy italian sausage.

Now for the rest.

Here is the ground meat for the tarragon sausage with an added cup of chilled white wine. I added too much fat to this one. And the food processor is not great at chopping up the fat bits. I am disappointed. It tastes good on the saute test, but the fat chunks are way too fatty chunky. I give it a C+.

Oh while all this was happening I was making a baller tomato sauce into which I was throwing errant bits of sausage meat.

I also made the chorizo but again you get the idea. I was so tired.

Garlic Tarragon Sausage!

Mexican Chorizo!

Spicy Italian Sausage!

Little Blue Couch

WIRED FOR SOUND
AND
DOWN FOR WHATEVER
hellll yeah those look bomb

Cosmic Charlie

Can you go into how you prepared/used the star anise?

joke_explainer

Bo-Pepper posted:

In a fit of pants on head stupid on my part, I was using a wooden spoon to feed the meat into the grinder. The grinder did initially come with a now lost piece specifically made for this, a piece that was just the length to not touch the grinder screw. Well a wooden loving spoon is way past that.

So the grinder ate the spoon and died.

Gah. Poor grinder. I'm happy you at least didn't spend 500 bucks on the grinder, that would have made it sting a lot more I guess.

Though a 1HP grinder might have ground you some wooden spoon.

Sausages look great anyway! Good work. I'm surprised you got such solid results out of the food processor.

i am he

hi Little Blue Couch, this is cool i think im going to try it.

and

Little Blue Couch posted:

treasured8elief

dogcrash truther

Bo-Pepper posted:

i can't help but feel like no one even looks at this thread anymore

i deliberately let it gather a bunch of posts so I can gorge myself. you take good food pics, whiuch is difficult to do. those sausages look super tasty

alnilam

Yeah bo pep your food pics rule, whereas mine drool

The X-man cometh
I ran out of brown lentils but wanted to make dahl today, so I went to my favorite YouTube channel and found this awesome recipe.

http://youtu.be/ZinwmeO5YaM

I don't like all the oil in tadkas so I just dump all the ingredients in at the beginning. If you want to be more authentic, do the whole tadka thing, or try it once to see how you like it.

I'm not a big Punjabi food fan, and that's the Indian food everyone's familiar with. Make this instead, mix it with rice and sauteed vegetables and you'll see what most Indian people eat.

poverty goat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PE9rdmvIz0

Little Blue Couch

WIRED FOR SOUND
AND
DOWN FOR WHATEVER
hey can one of you guys help me

http://www.budgetbytes.com/2014/04/chorizo-chicken-jambalaya/

ive never made jambalaya before and it seems like this recipe is just asking me to throw dry, uncooked rice into a hot pan? then you add a bunch of chicken broth and stuff so it doesn't seem too weird but i've never heard of doing that before. is this on the level

Little Blue Couch

WIRED FOR SOUND
AND
DOWN FOR WHATEVER
i mean if it works it seems like it would be badass

dogcrash truther
be careful if you eat dry rice. it swells up in youre stomach

i am he

it'l lgrow rice paddies inside your tummy

Little Blue Couch

WIRED FOR SOUND
AND
DOWN FOR WHATEVER
that sounds like a terrific cost saving measure

i am he

you dont wanna eat dry rice because if your cell phone ever gets wet you'll have to eat it to get it dry again.

Afro Doug

dogcrash truther posted:

be careful if you eat dry rice. it swells up in youre stomach

wow good to know that theb yob mod is a loving pigeon.

joke_explainer

hey can one of you guys help me

http://www.budgetbytes.com/2014/04/chorizo-chicken-jambalaya/

ive never made jambalaya before and it seems like this recipe is just asking me to throw dry, uncooked rice into a hot pan? then you add a bunch of chicken broth and stuff so it doesn't seem too weird but i've never heard of doing that before. is this on the level

yeah its on the level, you toast the rice a little bit before you start, its fine... rissoto does this too, though with butter in the pan to coat the rice

Little Blue Couch

WIRED FOR SOUND
AND
DOWN FOR WHATEVER
cool thank you. i'll mail you some jambalaya

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i am he

jambayala is so good. post results i want to try the recipe if its good.