Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

alnilam

i made seitan, a fun food because it looks like a poop and also you get to make lots of satan jokes :twisted:
hail seitan!
satan gives us lots of protein and is delicious in sandwiches (vegetarian cheesesteak!), it is popular in my city as "meatless buffalo wings" but i like to think of it just as "let's dip seitan in frank's red hot or w/e" cause the idea of "fake meat" weirds me out, I'd rather just enjoy seitan as seitan, anyway!

go to your local food coop or bulk grain store and go to their bulk grains section, and get vital wheat gluten flour, aka "vite wheat glute". you can get it at a regular store but it'll be a lot more expensive than if you get it from a bulk bin

combine:
1 1/3 cup vite wheat glute
1/3 cup regular all-purpose flour or w/e
2 tsp of dry spices, i like to mix onion powder, garlic powder, ground sage, and a little cayenne
a pinch or two of finely ground black pep

separately, combine:
1 cup veggie broth or whatever broth you like
1 tbsp soy sauce

mix wet in dry and knead it like dough! (no pics of this part sorry)
you don't knead to knead it for too long though

then roll it into a poop-like form and place it on some oily tinfoil like this:

also pictured: beer, because lol if you're not drinking tasty booze while cooking

Lightly brush the whole turd with oil with your hands or a brush if you're afraid of oil
Then roll up the tinfoil like a loving piece of candy, twist up the ends and all that

Then place it in a shallow pool of boiling water and steam it for 30 minutes

Next up: bake for 30 minutes at 350 F, will post more when i get there, am currently liveposting the creation of satan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alnilam

poke holes in it with a fork and put it in the goddamn oven for 30 minz at 350 F

alnilam

FUKKEN ENJOY

alnilam

Update: it was goddamn delicious

alnilam

dogcrash truther posted:

yeah? Whatd it taste like?

Tasted like meaty bread :henget:

alnilam

alnilam posted:

Then place it in a shallow pool of boiling water and steam it for 30 minutes

I should note here, the lid should be on during steaming, the lid was removed here for picture

alnilam

Yes that's true, i consider it a "lazy man's steam"

alnilam

Security Drone posted:

This whole seitan thing is really getting me down.

I guess I should try it for myself but it doesn't exactly look really good.

I'm sure it was tasty.

"I've been really depressed lately"
"Aww what's been bothering you?"
"Well it's this food, seitan. It looks kinda gross! But i wonder if it's tasty? I just don't know"

alnilam

tonight i had one of those "what do i have in the house, that i can make" nights and it turned out really well

I was like "pasta hmm yes" but i don't have any crushed tomato, nor the basis for a rue, nor parmasean cheese!

however, I do have a cranberry stilton that is amazing and that all i've ever done with it is eat it straight up, so I was like "hmm cranberry stilton, a sweet dessert cheese, on pasta?? :monocle: by joe it's just crazy enough to work!"

So I gathered about 3 large leaves each of kale and chard from my garden, along with a very hearty handful of basil, and 2 thai chilis, cause i want some heat but not a ton (due to the sweet cheese angle)
Also get 1 onion, and a ton of garlic duhh
cut them up and saute them in oilive oil with some salt to taste (I'm a very light salter) and some sage and some black pep
also make a cup or 2 of textured vegetable protein so i can grow big and strong - I like to reconstitute TVP in veg broth for extra flave
add the TVP into the saute mix and keep sauteing a little longer

All the while, cook up 3 meals worth of pasta (mine was fettucine but idc which one you make)

then get an appropriate plate for the occasion

then crumble on dat cranberry stilton and garnish with some finely chopped tomatoes

turned out tasty af

sorry i'm really bad at presentation but idgaf as long as it's delicious

alnilam

also bo peps ty for your cutting board advbice, I'll look into it

fwiw i don't eat meat so i don't end up with meat germs in the cracks, but I know there are other germs that can take root in there

also i often cut stuff on this wooden alaskan bowl + curvy knife thing that my grandma got me, I really love cutting things in that bowl, but sometimes you just need a flat board too

e: also i agree gently caress glass cutting boards forever, i cooked at someone's house who had one once and I was like "wtf is this, my knife gonna slide all over the dern place"
srsly at my job i often cut small things with a razor under a microscope and i have learned to NEVER cut a sample directly on the glass slide cause it's slippy as poo poo

alnilam fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Aug 27, 2014

alnilam

Cast iron pan clean tip:

U know how you can't use no soap or nothin? But sometimes something is kinda stuck on there, and water + rag doesn't do the job, what u do

Keep a cup of Used Coffee Grounds around! Dry them out on a dish so they don't get no moldy. Sprinkle some in dirty pan and use it as mild abrasivvve while you wipe with rag

Don't forget to dry, then put on stove with a little oil brushed around and heat it for a few minutes

alnilam fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Aug 29, 2014

alnilam

gggiiimmmppp posted:

Tonight for dessert I peeled some peaches and poached them in sweet white wine, honey and vanilla w/ the reduced syrup and it was delicious

i just use coarse salt

Dessert: Sounds amazing

Coarse salt: that works very well too but i like the coffee grounds so i don't have to waste salt, after all i always have freshly used grounds arounds :coffeepal:

alnilam

Tonight i made a really good omelette with peppers, squash, onion/garlic (duh), thai basil from the garden, and what made it really special was the same cranberry stilton from the pasta meal i posted earlier. Sweet cheese + savory meal is great stuff

Also breakfast for dinner :whatup:

alnilam

a ritard posted:

vegetable (canola) oil about 3T (tonnes, haha j/k it's tablespoons, 4 teaspoons per)

Good stuff, but fyi a tibbisp is 3 tisps, not 4

alnilam

Wait was the wine for drinking or cooking, or both?

alnilam

Yeah bo pep your food pics rule, whereas mine drool

alnilam

Happy birthday littlr blue couch

alnilam

osso buco

alnilam

Here's my friend "s really good egg nog recipe

alnilam

:siren:ATTENTION PEOPLE WHO DON'T THINK YOU LIKE EGG NOG :siren:
you might like this nog, i didn't ever like it, but this recipe is really good, and i also think nog that is "made with booze" is way better than nog that is mixed with booze, after the fact.

code:
1.5 cups melk - boil, then cool
   ^^^ carefully, dble-boiler or stir frequently so it doesn't scorch

5 egg yolks, beat
1 c powd sug, stir into egg yolks

3/4 tsp vanilla XXXtrakt
1/2 tsp cinnamon

1 cup vodka
1 cup brandy
combine all ingredes in a 1 L jar (make sure milk is cool! don't wanna cook them yolks)
put in frig and shake up every day for 4 days, ideally, before drinking. I've jumped the gun before at 1 or 2 days and itwas still good, but it does improve with age.

if you do the math you will see that this is roughly 50% liquor, meaning it's about 20% ABV or 40 proof. :beerpal:

in these pictures i amdoubling the recipe, and slightly downing the amount of booze from - i'm so sorry but i'm with my old parents and grandma so ya know

melk in double boiler

egg yokes and whites- save the whites in a fridge for tomorrow's breakfast!
how to separate them? crack an egge carefully and pour the yolk between each half until the white is nearly all gone, you can probably look this technique up on youtube idk it's not that hard tho imo

sugar lol

brandy and (not pictured) wodka

put in frig and shake every day! for 4 days. then drink.

ty manifisto

alnilam

i made a really tasty vegetarian lentil shepherd's pie yesterday! would highly recommend
  • 1 cup dry green lentils
  • 2 lb sweet potates
  • 2-3 tbsp butter or margerine
  • some kinda milk
  • a small chopped onion
  • some garlic, duh
  • about 1/2 tsp each of thyme and cumin, throw in some dashes of cayenne and maybe sage
  • a splash (1 tsp?) of apple cider vinegar
  • a tomato, chopped up finely, or some ketchup if you prefer
  • 1 cup frozen sweet corn

cook the lentils and then drain them

peel, cube, and boil the potatoes, mash them with the butter adn the milk

sautee the onion in some olive oil until soft
add garlic
add spices, tomato, and apple cider vin, cover and cook on low-med heat for like 5-10 minutes stirring occasionally
add this mix to the lentils and stir together on low heat for a few minutes

spread the lentil/veg mix onto the bottom of a pie pan
cover with the corn
cover with the mashed sweet potates
bake at 375 for like 30 minutes

like all shepherd's pies, it is not much to look at (plus good food photos are hard) but it is really delicious. I took a photo anyway, here's the gross-looking but loving delicious veggie shepherds pie

ty manifisto

alnilam

landy. posted:

does anybody know something to put on mashed potatoes that doesn't have meat?

Cheese, salsa, sauteed bell peppers, lentils, black beans, the list goes on

Actually see the recipe i posted on the last page, and just turn it upside down - bingo it turns from shepherds pie into mashed potato with things on top

alnilam

joke_explainer posted:

... what recipes require you to put meat on mashed potatoes? i didn't know this was a thing... i've seen them as a side for it, but never like... bbq pulled pork ontop of mashed potatoes

word to the wise you can put almost anything savory on top of mashed potatoes and it's really good

ty manifisto

alnilam

By the way fun tip for making creamy soups or sauces for vegans or the lactose intolerant:
soak some cashews and then blend them up in a ratio of like 1:1 with water or broth
use this "cashew cream" as well as maybe some corn starch to creamify your soup or sauce a little

for reference, theres a vegan corn chowder i really like to make (im not vegan but cook with some lactose sensitive folks)
it runs about 6 cups of broth + (1c broth 1c cashew, blended) + (1c broth 1/2c cornstarch, whisked), you add the cashew and corn starch at the end and stir until thickened
this is in addition to a ton of potates which also thicken it up shutup the point is this is how you get a creamy-esque soup without cream

alnilam fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Apr 9, 2015

ty manifisto

alnilam

Hard boil eggs are a precursor to deviled eggs

alnilam

Bo-Pepper posted:

i've never cooked with rice noodles so take any of my thoughts on them with a grain of salt but how long are they out of the water before you add them to the stir fry

i imagine they stick quickly and easily if left to drain too long

perhaps add them from the cooking liquid and into the stir fry immediately after you drain them

This but also you can toss them in a little oil after draining them to help them stay lubed. Toss them in sesame oil for a bonus flavor experience that will leave you satisfied

alnilam

landy. posted:

ALright. I'll do this too. About how much would be a good amount for 8 ounces of noodles

idk, a splash? enough to coat the noodz. I don't really "measure" "things"

alnilam

To cook a stir fry, you must first create the universe

alnilam

om nom nom posted:

One more spot available, I'll send them out tomorrow after work

I will accept the farro challenge please

ty manifisto

alnilam

Two vegetarians in the challenge :henget:

alnilam

In my book everyone who cooks something they enjoyed is a winner

alnilam

Arrival here. Won't get to cook it with proper effort til next week i think. Thanks om nom!

alnilam

lol landy i made a stir fry with farro base as a first farro foray, not too far from what you did. I'm going to do another thing and post about it too, but i figured I'd post about the stir fry if y'all don't mind two posts. I'll post when i have a computer. It was so good thank you om nom nom.

preview of techniques i will review:
freezing tofu for different texture
fun with sweet potatoes
"the brown sauce paradigm"

alnilam

Okay here I go. Farro dish post 1 of ???
The backstory here is sunday night came arpound, and I was hungry! I wanted to eat some food to become less hungry.
What follows is a basic quick meal that I cook a lot, but this itme it was with farro, so that was fun. I still plan to do something with the farro that i haven't done before, whereas this is just a usual meal with farro instead of rice. But whatever I'll post it anyway.

First a little background: Tofu, and the freezing thereof.
I'm lucky enough to live near a place that makes their own fresh tofu and sells it for 30 cents per 4x4" block. That is CHEAP. And it's better than packaged tofu bc it's fresh.
The downside is it's not in a hermetically sealed thingy so you have to use it soon or freeze it.
But the upside is, I like frozen-then-thawed tofu!
When you freeze tofu, the ice crystalls cut up the inside of the tofu a little bit, giving it a bit of an airy, spongy texture that works really well for fried or stir-fried tofu. It's not gonna be silky smooth any more though, so this isn't a great way if you're adding the tofu to soup or a milky curry.

Tofu consists of a bunch of lamellae of coagulated soy protein that have been compressed together into a block. Because of the way they're compressed, they still exist as layers, you just can't see it. When you freeze it, the lamellae kind of come apart and you can see it when you slice it up, it's cool.

Anyway even if you buy sealed tofu that keeps well, you stlil should try freezing it sometime just to experience the different texture.

1. I cooked the farro in a rice cooker - you can do that apparentlty ?!? I used about 1 cup farro to 3 cups water and it cooked in a similar amount of tmie to brown rice
i threw in a bay leaf and a little tumeric cause i like cooking grains with those things, gives them a haerty savoriness without adding too many confounding flavors, bc bay leaf and tumeric don't have a very strong flavor.

2. cut up some vegetabl
cue bo-pepper telling me i need a new cutting board
fyi no meat has ever touched this cutting board so i know it looks gross but it should be pretty safe :shrug:

not shown: sweet potate, baby corm, carrots, brocco

3. pre-cook the sweet potates in my cast iron pan bc they need a little extra time that a stir fry doesn't give them
this is p basic, just 2-3 mm slices of sweet tate, halved, stir in some oil on med heat for a while until tasty. accidentally had the haet a little too high at first here, so some of them got a little blackened, which isn't a bad thing really but normally i avoid that.
btw, i'm not gonna act like i invented anything new here, but i'm consistently shocked by how many people think of sweet potatoes just as "candied sweet potatoes" or "sweet potato pie." sweet potatoes can be included in almost any savory dish and they are loving fantastic. They need a little extra time so it helps to pre-cook the sweet potatoes like shown here, then add them to whatever.
If you haven't tried sweet potatoes in your favorite savory dishes, start playing around with it. They're delicious and nutritious.

step negative-1: :siren: time travelling step :siren: go back in time to at least the previous day, and put your tofu in the freezer. later (step 0?) tak eit out and thaw it like you would with meat, like idk put it in a bowl and let the sink dribble into the bowl for a whlie or something.

then gently squeeze the tofu out over the sink to get much of the liquid out
then press the tofu - put the tofu in a white cloth or a paper towel and put between two plates, then put a heavy book or sth onto the upper plate. let it sit there for like 10 minutes at least.
it'll look all flat and compressed but it'll puff back up a lil when you cook it

4. pre-c0o0k the tofu, not because it's necessary but becaues i think it's tasty this way
wok
med-high heat
a bunch of veg oil and a splash of sesame oil - the sesame oil gets a lil smokey and helps it brown on the outside
stir until all the tofu has a light brown coating, then remove the tofu

5. close all windows and prepre to sauce
i will now introduce you to :greencube: the brown sauce paradigm :greencube:
the paradigm is basically this:
~something salty~
something sour
~something sweet~
and starch or flour

works great for any stir fry or related dish

the most basic iteration of this sauce paradigm is this:
code:
2 parts soy sauce
1 part rice vinegar
<1 part sesame oil
<1 part brown sugar
whisk in some dashes of corn starch (or flour)
i don't "measure" things much sorry I can't be more specific, usually i mix the liquid ingredients in a pyrex thing and do like 100 mL soy sauce, ~40 mL sesame oil, ~50 mL rice vinegar, maaaybe 2 tbsp of brown sugar? i just take out a big pinch full using my fingers like a claw from a stuffed animal claw toy machine thing. and whisk in a few dashes of corn starch until the sauce thickens just a little.

you can play around with this concept, like substitute orange juice for both the sugar and the vinegar, or substitute tamarind paste for the sweet, play with various spices to add, etc. I almost always add ginger and garlic because they are always tasty, and i did in this case too.

5. stir fry
when the farro is done/almost done, turn the wok to high heat and add oil if necessary (i had mostly enough left over from the tofu)
start stir frying! a true stir fry is done on very high heat with near-constant stirring. Th9is is why I wanted to pre-cook the sweet tates.
Add things in order of how long you think they need to cook :shrug: and stir constantly until you're satisfied with how it looks. Then add the sauce, sprinkle on some extra ginger powder, stir just a lil longer until sauce is hot, turn off heat, stir in an egg or two if you feel like it.

(pictured: before sauce added)

6. Serve over the farro and add some sriracha or whatev. Eat outdoors on a nice night with girlfriend and beer and watch a cool bat fly around up in the sky as the sun sets and jupiter and venus come out.

thank you om nom nom, this was really tasty, and as landy said it made me feel more full! farro is hearty and filling grain and i like it a lot now.
also i finally had "the byob talk" with my girlfriend as to why i had this bag of farro for free and why i was taking photos of our food

alnilam fucked around with this message at 15:35 on May 18, 2015

ty manifisto

alnilam

why would you massage a picture, they don't even have muscles or a central nervous system :confused:

alnilam

looks great bo pep, i also enjoy that you get to learn about color names while eating

ty manifisto

alnilam

Sloppy Milkshake posted:

I don't know much about cooking but i could really use more vegetarian cooking knowledge so how much tumeric? cooking with spices confuses and excites me

for a cup of dry grain maybe like 1/2 tsp ?? idk i don't measure things much but something like that, maybe a whole tsp. And one bay leaf.

alnilam

To get a good feel for spices, i highly recommend two courses of action:

1 add spices dash by dash and taste as you go, experiment a lot and eventually you'll just have a good feel for what works and how much-ish

2. look at a recipe and look at the spice combo it uses... don't fret over the quantities but rather just see that "oh i guess parsley sage rosemary and thyme work well together, so it's not just a song then". This will help you be able to improvise spice combos later.

alnilam

Farro Post #2

I made one of my favorite salads, and added farro to it.
This salad is special to me because my sister and I invented it (i mean i'm sure it's been made before but we made it up on our own you know what i mean) while travelling in Barcelona and Nice and we mad eit a lot that trip, we carried a bottle of olive oil and shakers of basil and garlic everywhere we went and we made the hell out of this salad.
Also it's just really good and it's easy to make, even on short notice (other than the farro).

The farro:

Cooked 1 cup on stove top in 3 cups of veggie broth with a bay leaf. Took abut 45 minutes until it was a good texture, then I drained it.
As om nom nom originally suggested, I spread it out onto a cookie sheet and put it in the frig to cool down while I did everything else

The other stuff:
1 lg Cucumber, quartered and in ~1 cm slices
2 bell peppers (orange for color if you can find it), diced into ~1 cm pieces
2 lg tomatoes, in ~1 cm cubes
Feta to taste (I like to use a bunch, like 1/4 lb)
Basil to taste, I prefer to use quite a lot of basil, dried flake basil is fine here
Garlic powder or dried minced garlic to taste
Black pepper
olive oil until all is wet
lemon juice (optional) til it taste ggood

then add the farro and toss it all together yummity yum

also some of us added some good kalamata olives from a jar after the fact, i'm not a fan of briney things so i abstained, but they say it was v good

As a side (or as a main??) I also made some seitan from scratch, cubed it into 2-3 cm bites, and browned it in some butter, then served with buffalo sauce and some sweet thai chili sauce
see my post on the satan earlier itt

alnilam posted:

[satan post :devil:]

Anyway that's it. It was extremely tasty, the farro went really well with this salad. Sometimse I add chickpeas to this salad for a little more heft, but I like the farro even better, it was soo good.

Serve outside with girlfriend, housemates, and friendly neighbors who share the courtyard with you, while the sun sets and venus and jupiter come into view, drinking homebrewed porter and listening to a cool bat fly overhead.

Damb. That is one bomn rear end salad.

ty manifisto

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alnilam

My pan is decades is old does that mean it's probably a griswold