Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

om nom nom

om nom nom nom nom nom nom

landy. posted:

I made it and before I make the effortpost, I'd like to say it was really good, and thank you, nom, for sending me the farro and introducing me to this amazing food

That's great man, you're very welcome.

This is exactly why I sent my favorite grain to all corners of the country.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

om nom nom

Bo-Pepper posted:

short ribs purchased i am going to try a farro risotto coupled with braised short ribs all made with veal stock and dotted with pomegranate seeds

I feel like brussel sprouts would round that plate out really well. Or asparagus. Sounds awesome though.

Thanks for the post landy.! Farro fried "rice"... I like it. The filling aspect is definitely the farro, a few local friends who have tried it mentioned that too. Glad you like it so much, I feel like it's a hell of a grain for any vegetarians arsenal

om nom nom

Great posts, can't wait to see what else you do alnilam.

Bo I might take that dish and sell it in the restaurant. Maybe some changes but I like the braised beef and farro situation you have going on.

What is the function of salting the meat and leaving it out? I've never done that before.

om nom nom

I've done the room temperature thing, just never salted it first, always right before it gets cooked. I'll have to try that out

om nom nom

I love you guys, awesome stuff. This has been a lot of fun start to finish. I hope you guys read the the cute letters I wrote on the paper with your username (explainer's pic reminded me)

Now it's time for the :siren::siren:Prestigious Awards Ceremony:siren::siren:

Most Original Use of Farro goes to joke_explainer for milling the grains into flour and making pasta.

Food Cost Award goes to landy. for presumably not spending a penny on that plate, all profit baby.

Most Effortful Effort Post goes to alnilam for an absurd amount of detail, technique, and humor in his post

Chef's Chef goes to Bo-Pepper for veal stock and braised beef. If I had only a couple of servings of farro this is totally what I would cook for myself

Awesome stuff everyone!

om nom nom

I tested the salt the meat and leave it out for an hour or so thing last night. I'll also cover how your $55 steak gets cooked and bearnaise like a boss.
Images are uploading. May be a little while before this post goes up though

om nom nom

So I found ribeyes on sale for 7.99/lb. I figured it would be the perfect time to test the salting method you guys just taught me!

Steak will not be my next meal. I'm gonna take my time with these.

Searing in cast iron. I'm no home cook so I may not be the best at keeping it...

...but this is the knife I keep at home

I took this time and processed some strawberries we had bought in bulk. 3.99 for 3lbs. Bought 6lbs, left about 2 in the fridge. The rest are topped and frozen for smoothies and to use instead of ice cubes.

After an hour 15, I patted the couple pools of water that appeared on the steak dry, added a tiny bit more salt and plenty of pepper

Preheat oven

Super hot pan with a decent amount of oil. Dropped the steak in and after a minute or 2, then added some thin pats of butter. In a restaurant I would more than likely use beurre monte instead of cold butter.

Once the first side has a sexy sear, flip, and baste that poo poo

Noice. I'll be pre salting now. This is done while your apps are being served, a half temp under what you ordered.

I'm guessing these were on sale because the butcher took off just too much of the fat cap, but the marbling is gorgeous and I don't care that it looks like a bunch of meat glued together.

If you were wondering, this is the best butter

Rest. Like at least 10 minutes. Another situation for beurre monte in a restaurant.

Bearnaise mise

Yes, cold cubed butter. I'm sure there's some dead french chef rolling in his grave.

Yolks, equal parts lemon juice and white vinegar, tarragon. In a restaurant I'd have made a tarragon reduction. For hollandaise I would have used all lemon juice.

In a sauce pan with the burner on high(like a boss). I adjust by moving the pan on and off the heat.

Stir constantly till it's really thick. Like a custard. If you make scrambled eggs start over. Use a double boiler (like an apprentice) if necessary.

Start whisking the cold butter in. The first few cubes are where it's easiest to gently caress up...it will be really obvious right away if you broke the sauce(like a bitch). Have your girlfriend take pictures because this requires your undivided attention.

At this point salt and pepper to taste. If you need more acidity add some vinegar or lemon juice, but that will effect the consistency. A boss gets it right in the beginning. It should be noted that since this is almost 100% fat, salt will move through it a lot slower than a water based sauce. So salt...
...taste, adjust
...taste, etc.

Noice

When the server fires your main course, into the oven with the steaks for 3-5 minutes. Just long enough to heat it up, which will get you your last half-temp.

This is a bad method for cooking a steak if you aren't one for perfectly rested medium rare piece of beef.

om nom nom

joke_explainer posted:

This is a polite way of saying, "if you hate things that taste good". Looks amazing om nom nom. I think I'll do a bernaise next time... 7.99 a pound too, that's crazy.

Also yeah Plugra is great, that's the butter I generally get. (I think I have some kerrygold in the fridge right now for some reason though. It's good but not worth the markup compared to plugra).

I've never actually had kerrygold, if I'm getting good butter I tend to stick with plugra. Our FSA sales rep bought a 36lb case that sat around in the freezer for too long for like 60 bucks. He had it dropped off to my restaurant, when he came to pick it up I asked if I could buy some and he gave me 5lbs (purchasing is a large part of my job and I make that man a lot of money, he's pretty good to me).

I buy amish butter sometimes, it's hand churned and wrapped in parchment/butcher's paper. Available at the 2 local grocers in town, I don't think I've seen it at Safeway or albertsons. Its awesome and I know it's from cows that have been treated well, but plugra is just too drat good and actually cheaper than the amish stuff.

om nom nom

And you can press the water out of tofu by putting it between 2 pans and weigh it down with cans or something and leaving it in the fridge over night

om nom nom

meteloides posted:

I didn't this time, but now that I know it's ok, I'll start doing so :glomp: thank you!

Yea post your good regardless, landy us3d a good network recipe for his farro. If I wanted rules I'd post in gws. Feel free to post your source, too, so others can try the recipe out.

I don't tend to follow recipes but I read every one I can. Inspiration is everywhere.

The last meal I cooked at home was pretty simple(no pics sry). The lady wanted to do some grilling and got the coals going while I was on the way home from yoga, so I:
Took some chicken breasts and marinated them in soy sauce, lime juice, garlic, and Frank's red hot. I didn't plan this so I just left it on the counter for an hour or so instead of a few hours in the fridge.

Got some water boiling for macaroni, cubed some butter (Plugra brand European-style butter) and got a cup,or so of chicken stock on super low, just to warm it up a bit, not to let it reduce at all.

Sliced a zucchini length wise to get 6 long strips. Tossed in olive oil (don't waste your evo but I like the taste better than canola or "vegetable" oil) salt black pepper and a little crushed red pepper.

Dropped the noodles in the water. Got the chicken on the grill. When the macaroni was just a bit under cooked and almost al cente, strained it off. Flip the chicken. Put the noodles with about half of the warm chicken stock on a low burner, stir. Put zucchini on the grill. Give it a few minutes, flip zucchini (it won't take long) and check the chicken. Pull the chicken when it's just about done, let it rest up to done if you want a perfectly moist piece of chicken.

Stir the cold butter into the pasta, adding chicken stock an ounce or so at a time of necessary (it will look dry even with all the butter in there if it needs stock). Season to taste with salt and pepper. Pull zucchini.

Grilled chicken with buttered noodles and zucchini. I'm pretty sure my tenses were all over the board with that one. But this is byob I won't be proof reading.

om nom nom

meteloides posted:

I would post a lot in this thread. I also feel weird about posting stuff in here because most of what I do comes from recipes, because I'm not good at making up recipes yet. Tonight I made some bomb rear end chicken with apples in a brown sugar and mustard sauce and I wish I'd made double batches because it was so good.

Feel free to play with your food! Most cooking in my experience is not from a recipe but also not entirely invented. Try the mustard sauce again, but maybe add a splash of beer, or a little orange juice or zest.

That is, cooking off the top of your head is great, but there's also no need to reinvent the wheel. It's also an art, not a science. Take a recipe, and when you are comfortable, add an ingredient, or take one away. It's the first step towards making it your own.

Under seasoned? Season it more! Over seasoned? Pitch it and start over, or make a double batch instead! Put something new in and its edible, but not as good as the recipe? Don't do it next time! Add an ingredient and it's better? Write it down! Success!

om nom nom

I wholeheartedly agree on the sear thing. Also I wonder how soy sauce/soy sauce and sesame oil would work in the vac bag in lieu of a brine? I think that would kill two birds with one stone. I know its a totally different flavor profile than what you are working with, but just a thought.

om nom nom

Well hot drat that looks delicious

om nom nom

Kim chi is good I think the first time I had it was on a hot dog in my youth so idk try it on a dog or burg you'll probably like it. Or just eat it with 2 or 3 meals a day you'll acquire a taste with it cause your body will know it is giving you nutrition and is not, in fact, bad

om nom nom

Also I made some tacos today. No pics unfortunately, I can't really be taking pictures of all the steps at work and remain productive

Meat: tri tip smoked in hickory for 3 hours. Braised in stock and red wine with oregano garlic shallots dried puya peppers black pepper cumin orange zest and lime zest. Strained, pulled apart meat, reduced braising liquid by half, recombind, reduced by another quarter or so in a sauce pot,salted, then held warm for service. Never salt before reducing heavily.

Condiments-
Mango salsa: 6 mangos brunoise, 4 Roma tomatos concasse brunoise, 3 jalapenos brunoise, 1 roasted red pepper brunoise, some minced shallot, lime zest, lemon juice, toasted coriander, salt and white pepper.

Crispy cabbage: cabbage quartered and shaved super thin on a slicer (a mandolin works but can be frustrating if the cabbage is larger than the mandolin is wide), blanched, shocked, wrung out with a kitchen towel, and fried in clarified butter. If you do this make sure your cabbage is wrung as thoroughly as possible. Preheat your butter and put in small amounts at a time, jostle the cabbage apart with tongs or something ( I use a meat fork). Every once in a while stir the cabbage on the outside into the middle(the outside is hotter and will cook faster). It will take 5-10 minutes or so to get crispy but after that about 12 seconds to burn. But if you get it out of the pan and onto a plate with a paper towel in that window after its crispy and before it browns you wind up with this gorgeous nest of crunchy buttery goodness that's kind of popcorny in flavor and texture. If I ever do this at home or have a slow day at work I'll take pics of this process cause this is kind of a tough one to do "right"

And then topped with your traditional street taco minced white onion and cilantro.

om nom nom

Lizard Wizard posted:

Unforunately this is not an option, as my diet is centered around creating the right sort of microbial environment in your guts or something like that. I've got a strict "schedule" and it includes kimchi but once a week. I'll keep it in mind though!

How strict is this diet, is there any room for creativity or do you have specific meals planned for every day? It might be fun to come up with some meals within a set of rigid guidelines. At least it would be good practice ;)

om nom nom

joke_explainer posted:

Daamn, sounds so good. Nice slow cooked smoked & braised tri-tip tacos... mmm. Do you generally make your own tortillas?

Nah but we at least buy them from a small local company, they're pretty good,not Mexican grandma good, but pretty good

om nom nom

landy. posted:

what flavor do zests add to a dish? ive used them for sodas, but i don't really know what they did.

It tastes like the citrus without acidity or liquid. I wanted the salsa to taste of lime so I used a good amount of lime zest and just enough lemon juice to get a little tingle on your tongue, while avoiding turning the salsa soupy and the bitterness of lime juice.

om nom nom

joke_explainer posted:

love hearing the diet specifics, but mind making a separate Lizwiz's Diet Megathread? I want to keep this to just great byob recipes and food projects so I can compile it all into an amazing cookbook and make $$$

om nom nom

Or at least make a long, detailed post with goals and diet specifics and maybe accompanying exercizes

om nom nom

Even better start fermenting your own cabbage and give me dank home made fermented cabbage recipes

om nom nom

Nova cafe in bozeman if they are going that way. My All time favorite breakfast place.All the restaurants in the park will be similarly average breakfast.

I'm out of the park and just living nearby now. Bit of a more stable life

om nom nom

Mulli posted:

I would not pay over $10 for a goddamn pepper grinder

I paid a good deal more than :10bux: for mine but it is cherrywood and there are 7 coarseness (coarsocity?) settings and I am obsessed.

Bo I love you. Also I made jambalaya at the restaurant a couple of days ago in a very similar fashion, only bigger

om nom nom fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Jun 24, 2015

om nom nom

Bo-Pepper posted:

I could never get excited over pepper grinders. I have a six dollar ikea grinder with ceramic workings that has always done me well.

I love it but it was also kinda a status thing from when I was working at a French bistro in Scottsdale, AZ. The meat and fish cooks, who are top of the food chain in the brigade, all had our own pepper mills, which we filled with white pepper for fish and chicken. We used too much black pepper for steaks to grind to order but we did roast and crush black peppercorns every day for service.

om nom nom

Rabbit leg confit :fap:

I also want the short ribs and spatzle and entire app menu

om nom nom

It was 2 days ago but happy birthday byob food thread!

om nom nom

Qwerinty posted:

i just guessed that it was a year and apparently it's four bars, i'm slipping

I saw your post and had to check

om nom nom

Yea this thread needs to come back to life for sure. It's been a busy summer at the place where I get paid to cook, I'm sure I'll have the time/motivation to do some free time cooking pretty soon here.

I've been working on a steak sauce involving beef glace, brandy caramel, and cream. Made it for the second time today for a high-dollar party at the restaurant tomorrow evening.

Starts with beef stock, which I reduce to around 1/10th of its original volume. Make caramel with 3c brandy, 2 c sugar, and reduce. The toughest part of this step is brandy is already caramel colored, reduced brandy even more so. To test the caramelization, I dip a spoon in and make a lil lolipop to taste once it's cooled. I go for the dark side of caramelized for this sauce.

Once the brandy caramel is where I want it, I add the glace, then heavy cream and thyme. Simmer for a half hour or so to bring out the herbaceous goodness. Then S&P to taste, and perhaps a little lemon juice for acidity. Commense arousal.

om nom nom

blaise rascal posted:

QUESTION FOR OM NOM NOM:

You made a post a few days ago that I'd like you to elaborate on, if you don't mind! I can't find the post, but it was something like this:

"A simple way to make chili taste good is to skip using a million different powdered spices, and instead just saute some spicy peppers at the start."

I guess I am interested to know what your saute might look like as you are starting to make chili. Maybe onions, garlic, and some kind of pepper, in olive oil? What kind of powdered spices would this replace?

I am most interested in vegetarian chili cooking, but anything you have to say would be appreciated!

I don't know what post you're refering to but I was probably getting at the fact that I've come across plenty of people who think chili=chili powder, and it's flavor comes from the red powder that has been sitting on your shelf for 6 months after it sat for 4 months at the grocery store and a year in some food purveyors warehouse storage. This powder usually contains whatever generic chili was cheapest by the ton at that years commodity auction, salt, cumin, and some preservatives and anti-caking agents.

Your chili should get it's flavor from hot peppers. Real ones. Nothing wrong with dry, but find some local spice guy and get yourself some arbols, cascabels, pequins, pasillas, NM hatch chilis, puyas, whatever. Even get a spice grinder and make your own powder that is just chilis, your blend (experiment this will be long enough without me dealing with specifics on peppers), and not some stale bullshit from krogers. Sometimes I'll make a paste in the food processor by dry sauteeing my chilis until they are roasty and adding just enough oil to make it of paste consistency.

Combine this with a variety of fresh peppers, mild, hot, and in between. You can probably find 6 or 7 varieties at whatever grocery store you go to.

Read up a little bit on peppers-some kick you in the dick right off the bat, some have a gradual increase that you don't notice until you realize you're sweating and your nose is running. Mix and match a variety of dried and fresh chili peppers and you can create some great flavors and unique heat sensations. Mccormicks chili powder Will never compare.

If I were to make vegan chili, I would soak some red, black, and pinto beans the day before. This is my generic bean blend as an omnivore who leans towards carnivore in preference, use what you love. The next day I'd simmer the beans in some vegetable stock with a couple of bat leaves, herbs, and spices. I'd cook them until they were about 80% done, so they could soak up the juices in the chili to finish.

I'd quarter a half dozen or so tomatoes, combine them with a small can of chipotles in adobo sauce, and throw them in the oven at 225F, to be dried and pureed as a thickening agent. I'd dice and strain a few more tomatoes to go in as vegetables.

I'd dice some onions, a bell pepper, three anaheims, two pasillas, four jalapenos, a serrano, and maybe a habenero if I'm really feeling spicy. These are your peppers that you will most likely find in the grocery store. Mince a few cloves of garlic, and a half dozen or so shallots. Get my pot nice and hot and drop some canola oil in, I'm not going to waste my expensive olive oil not tasting it, and drop the onions and shallots in.

Once the onions and shallots caramelize, in goes the garlic and the peppers. Or follow the other guys advice about hot peppers later, I just spend my days under industrial hoods. Get them to just cooked, you'll smell the garlic opening up, and your peppers will take on a brilliant green. You don't want it to go to that shotty overcooked green. Deglaze with some red wine, and cook the alcohol out.

At this point, add some veg stock and your beans and tomatoes, and some of the chipotle/tomato paste. At this point it should be soupier than you want it at the end, remember those beans still have a little ways to go. Give it a few minutes to come to temp, and give it a taste. Judge your spiciness. Salt, cumin, some of your dried chilis in the form of home made powder or paste, fresh oregano, fresh thyme, bay leaves,black pepper. A pinch more salt. Simmer low, let it all come together for an hour or so. Have some veg stock on hand in case the beans are thirstier than you think.

Taste, season, taste, season, taste.....
Adjust salt levels. Adjust heat. Taste frequently and add tiny bits at a time. You can always add more, but if you can figure out how to unsalt a dish you've got me beat.

Once the beans are cooked, Get the rest of the tomato/chipotle paste in there. Final round of seasoning. If you've got some fresh basil, mince that and throw it in right after you kill the heat. You can eat a bowl now if you want but it will taste better tomorrow.

I totally switched from 1st person to 2nd person somewhere in the middle there and I'm not fixing it. gently caress yea fine dini,g effort post, it's been too long.

om nom nom

Alright blaise rascal I effort posted, you're up. Lets hear the tale of the chili you made and see some pics of it happening.

om nom nom

Volume posted:

Ever since I took over Thanksgiving dinner I've done away with the Turkey. It was just boring, you know? So this year I was thinking of making every one a Panzerotti with a side of breaded mushrooms.

I'm a fan of TBLTAs (turkey bacon lettuce tomato avocado) cause sandwiches the next day are the best part anyways. Unless I'm back east at my grandparents then tradition is where it's at.

om nom nom

Hey don't let the pros/serious hobbyists get you down, we're just happy your doing scratch cooking. At least I am.

Beans take a loooong time, even when soaked. That's why I like to cook them most of the way with stock and herbs (and a smoked ham hock/bone) before simmering in chili, and I simmer my chili for a good few hours.

Come back if you've got more questions or just want to tell us about something cool you're trying. I think we all love seeing this thread live on and people showing interest in food, regardless of skill level.

om nom nom

Yes please

om nom nom

Most of these bottles are eggnog. One is cum.

om nom nom

I got a great deal on a case of t-bones

They are prime grade. Check out that marbling. I'm having this one tonight.

A little oxidization cause I left it to thaw for a couple days longer than necessary.

This is the one I ate last week. They're 24oz, so each one is big enough for my lady and I to share.

Four left after tonight. I'll be enjoying it with heirloom carrots and purple Peruvian potatoes from the organic farm 5 miles down the street.

Edit because I am bad at imgur

om nom nom fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Nov 2, 2015

om nom nom

om nom nom

That is some sexy bread. That's something I haven't gotten down and would love to. I also haven't put in any effort or even made bread since culinary school.

My girlfriends got a starter and it comes out decent. Not like that though.

om nom nom

We had a few friends over for Christmas Brunch, I made some egg strada and Turkey blts. My special lady baked some monkey bread, candy cookies and made buckeyes. We drank mimosas and wassail.

Egg strada is like quiche with bread in it. A little cream mixed with a dozen eggs, browned and cooled some chorizo, and cut up some bread a few days before to let it stale. Mixed the bread, chorizo, and some muenster, poured the egg over top, baked most of the way, pulled it out and sprinkled some cheddar on top, back in the oven for 5ish minutes to melt/lightly brown the cheese.

Brined the turkey for about 36 hours, made the brine with equal parts granulated sugar and kosher salt, some crushed up bay leaves, and thyme. Patted it dry when it came out of the brine, seasoned with salt, white pepper, and more thyme. Softened some butter and mixed with an equal amount of bacon fat and smeared it under the skin on the breasts and in the cavity. Two whole, peeled yellow onions in the cavity as well. Cooked it the day before, basting every hour-hour and a half to get sexy crispy bacon fatty skin. My lady and I had a drumstick for dinner, the rest went into the fridge to be sliced in the morning.

The rest of the blt was romaine, regular globe tomatoes, dailys 10-12 applewood smoked bacon, Wheat Montana cracked 9 grain bread, and an "aoli". I cheated and used mayonnaise, but I minced and sauteed garlic in butter (cooled before adding), added a splash of lemon juice, and a small amount of whole grain mustard, soy sauce, and sriracha.

I made the dough for the monkey bread, I just found a recipe for sour dough soft dinner rolls online. My lady's got a starter, I don't remember everything that went into it, but I used Wheat Montana Prarie Gold flour, and there was some honey in it. She did the rest.

Wassail was Apple, cranberry, and pineapple juice, with a clove studded orange, cinnamon sticks, a star anise, allspice, and nutmeg and lots of kraken dark rum, simmered all morning. It makes the house smell awesome.

As a bonus, I made the pineapple juice. Take your skins that still have plenty of fruit on them and core from the pineapple (we had two) and put in a pot with just enough water to cover. Simmer low low low for 24 hours, with some of the spices I mentioned earlier. (Brown if you want) sugar or honey to taste before it comes off. Transfer to a different container (or don't if you're made of money and can leave pots in the fridge for days) and let it sit for a few days. Now you have awesome pineapple juice that is just as pungent as what you would buy in the store made for free with scraps. The downside is it ranges in color from dark piss to poo poo water.

Sorry no pics. I'm just happy this thread comes to life from time to time and wanted to share my recent adventure.

om nom nom

I love you guys

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

om nom nom

I use one of these bad boys:

I do have a 12 cup drip brewer for when companies over or if I feel like guzzling coffee. For the most part though I'd rather brew one or two of these and have a couple of cups of incredibly strong and delicious espresso.

Edit: I also grind beans in the basic target electric grinder. Its perfect for grinding the beans nice and fine for the espresso maker. The thing was only like $20, totally worth it for fresher tasting coffee and getting to make it as fine as you want. The maker itself was probably around $20 too, maybe just under. I don't really remember but it's a p cheap way to make awesome strong coffee.

om nom nom fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Jan 16, 2016