Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

treasured8elief

im eating leftovers :)

I threw some fatty tri-tip beef into my casserole dish with onions carrots and potatoes(and water and spices too). I covered and baked it in low temps for a long while and its srsly amazingly tasty :chef:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

treasured8elief

Bo-Pepper posted:

Hey I made Salsa Verde and an impromptu Pico de Gallo. Let's talk about it. I have pictures for sure, but there are some gaps because I was cooking and taking pictures with the presence of a toddler yelling "Dada!" over and over again down the hall and I was trying to do this quickly. Mistakes were made.

Salsa Verde is a simple green salsa that is easy to make and a great way to make use of tomatillos that are currently in season.

Here we see what my cutting board currently looks like. Lots of what's here will make it into what we're making today, but not all of it. The tomatillos are the ones that look like green paper leaf pods.

Here is what they look like peeled and in a state of semi-undress.

So for the salsa verde I made I used:

Some tomatillos - about a pound or so
A clove or two of garlic
A few tablespoons of fresh cilantro
A lime
A jalapeno
A couple dashes of ground cumin

Typically some chopped onion is used as well but I forgot. Not a huge deal.

First give your tomatillos and garlic cloves a rough chop. Nothing fancy. Everything will go into the blender shortly.

Chop up your jalapeno. Here is where you determine the heat of your salsa. If you want full heat, keep the seeds. Otherwise scoop out the seeds and white membrane with a spoon. It's up to you how much jalapeno you add form here because you can't fully eliminate heat from the pepper.

Dump your tomatillos, garlic, jalapeno, cilantro, and cumin into a sauce pan. Bring to a boil. Once at a boil. reduce to medium low and simmer for about ten minutes or so. You just want everything to get softened up.

Realize you really need to go at your sauce pan with some bar keeper's friend.

Looking good! Season with salt and pepper as needed. Add the juice from the lime. Now dump this into a blender and whir away for about ten to twenty seconds. It's up to you how chunky you want it. I like it a little chunky so I don't blend it for too long.

Now here's where my photos trail off for a little bit.

At this point I realize the salsa verde is too watery. So I strain off the liquid, return it to the sauce pan, and reduce it before returning it to the bowl. This has the added advantage of intensifying flavors. Salsa Verde done!

But oh no! I added too much jalapeno to the Salsa Verde! My wife's not all that into heat! Welp, time to make a Pico de Gallo then. Easy quick and delicious.

First chop up a lovely tomato then place the chopped tomato into a strainer over a bowl. Salt the tomato with some kosher salt and shake it around. You will immediately see delicious tomato water start to dribble into the bowl below. Later I will drink this directly from the bowl. Wait ten minutes or so. You are left with concentrated tomato chunks without the excess liquid you would get if you cut a tomato and just plopped it all in a bowl.

Plop it into a bowl. Add grated garlic clove, chopped onion, cilantro, and juice from one lime. Mix it up. That's it really. Let the fresh ingredients do the work.

And there we are. Use these liberally for tacos, chips, or whatever south of the border ethnic food you wanna try. I used them on boring tacos not otherwise worth mentioning but they were still great because of how tasty the salsas were.

Have fun, kids.
:yayclod: I want to try making your green salsa

For my pico/guac I chop tomatoes, white onions, avocados, jalapeno/red peppers, a half a habanero, and cilantro together, and ill put in lime juice, kosher salt, cracked pepper, and a little paprika. Im probably super overcomplicating it but im always happy by how everything turns out :)

treasured8elief fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Aug 23, 2014

treasured8elief

Bo-Pepper posted:

i can't help but feel like no one even looks at this thread anymore

i cant wait to read how your sausages turn out :) :chef:

treasured8elief

Little Blue Couch posted:

hellll yeah those look bomb