Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

i am he

That's some good lookin food. What's your favorite meal to make bo-pepper? Or just some you really like, it's usually hard for people to pick favorite things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i am he

Everybody should go to a ramen bar/restaurant and try some restaurant ramen. It's delicious and a million times better than the packaged kind. I want to try and make it at home but it seems very difficult.

i am he

saboten posted:

i had a student in japan whose dad owns naruto's favourite ramen place :buddy: like it was the author's fave place at uni and he wrote it into the show/manga....................... anime isnt real

she took me into the kitchen and showed me all the cool ramen stuff :kimchi: it's so good but gently caress boiling pig bones for like 8 hours

food good. make more food everyone

thats awesome haha. but ya tonkotsu ramen seems impossible for me to make at home.

i am he

drat.

i am he

dogcrash truther posted:

That sounds amazing.

Seriously.

i am he

That's pretty young for a head chef isnt it? What kind of cuisine do you specialize in?

i am he

om nom nom posted:

like i said its seasonal work, which is unattractive to a lot of people, and i am the head chef of one of the restaurants. i work for an executive chef and exec sous, who are in charge of all of the restaurants in yellowstone.

i suppose newer age french/american? that's what i have the most experience with, its kind of hard to say. french and asian cuisine are my favorite, that's for sure. in my opinion with globalization i like to just put ingredients that taste good together, together. for plating i suppose i have to choose whether it looks like a french plate or an asian plate, or whatever.

for an example, i made a lamb wrap for the special tonight. the lamb was braised in red wine, and shredded, then shallow fried in a saute pan for service (classical french techniques), and put in a flatbread (greek) wrap that was spread with garlic butter (french), griddled, then spread with hummus (middle eastern) and the other ingredients were carrot slaw (german) with kalamata olives (greece) and spring greens tossed in black currant aoili(france/western europe)

Once could argue that the wrap on the whole was greek/mediterranean. but the techniques are different than when they were developing their cuisine, and other ingredients and styles were used that the classic greek would not have used. i had some lamb, started braising it cause that takes a long time, then went to work on the rest of it, with the flavors and ingredients in mind more than one specific nationality or style.

That's really cool. Your food sounds delicous to me.

i am he

Bo-Pepper posted:

Thanks! I don't know what my favorite to cook is. Cooking for me definitely falls in the hobby category. I don't get to really focus as much as I would otherwise because baby but it's all good. I tend to seek out new projects, moving from one untried thing to another rather than giving a preferred dish.

The one thing I learned back to front in my life was cutting fish in North Carolina. I did that for hours a day for a few years. Funny to say it but I loved that job. Trying to achieve the perfect salmon filet day after day is some zen poo poo.

I think the fish cutting in "Jiro Dreams of Sushi" is one of the coolest parts actually. That documentary is very good in general.

i am he

Bo-Pepper posted:

It's definitely something that takes time to get the real feel of. Eventually it gets to the point where if you can't see through the spinal membrane of a filleted fish you get mad at yourself for wasting food left on the bone.

I hate cleaning fish, but i can appreciate it.

i am he

Bo-Pepper posted:

How would you go about making a proper Asian broth. I mean I know how to make broth but Asian soups and ramen in particular have a quality I wouldn't know offhand how to replicate.

as i mentioned above, im also very interested in this.

i am he

dogcrash truther posted:

I'm seeing pork belly everywhere these days. What's up with pork belly.

It's delicious! Tender, and yummy.

i am he

Bo-Pepper posted:

ur kinda fatty lol

i am he

meteloides posted:

I wish I was good enough at cooking to just put things together without looking up recipes online. I don't know how to learn this skill without going to culinary school though, and I'm broke as poo poo.

I do plan to make molasses & coffee pork chops later tonight, tho. I found a recipe for it through Supercook, and I'm looking forward to it.

post pics please, after you make it

i am he

dogcrash truther posted:

I ate at one of the best restaurants in America tonight on somebody else's dime and it was so good I don't even understand food anymore

tell me more please

i am he

I think the best meal I've eaten at a restaurant was veal head, tongue, and brain at a 1 star place in Paris. The brain was amazing.

Also I had pasta with boar sausage at a place in Florence that was memorably good.

i am he

I love stew.

i am he

dogcrash truther posted:

I am not eloquent enough to do justice to the meal but I got ASMR from like every dish to the point that about four courses in I started wondering if maybe I was having some sort of weird seizure or stroke instead. IT was like, okay, if you've ever listened to Thelonius Monk, sometimes he plays these chords that should be dissonant but aren't, like he's thinking about the music four dimensionally or something and he can hear a harmony that's beyond the notes, and that's what it was like, but with food, and also the way that the tastes unfolded was unreal, like each bite was being somehow organized as a sequence of tastes across my tongue and up my spine and directly into the pleasure center of my brain. ANd I lost track of time completely. i probably sound like a total douche right now

I love Thelonious Monk, and I think i understand what you mean. Sounds like a really good dinner lol.

i am he

Twilight Matrix posted:

hi please tip your fine dining servers in cash and always leave the full 20% dont be a dick, thanks,

your food looks lovely bopeps i would love to sell it to people 4 u

nice americocentrism

i am he

Bo-Pepper posted:

i can't help but feel like no one even looks at this thread anymore

i read it because

Afro Doug posted:

i love to read about good things to eat.

i am he

hi Little Blue Couch, this is cool i think im going to try it.

and

Little Blue Couch posted:

hellll yeah those look bomb

i am he

it'l lgrow rice paddies inside your tummy

i am he

you dont wanna eat dry rice because if your cell phone ever gets wet you'll have to eat it to get it dry again.

i am he

jambayala is so good. post results i want to try the recipe if its good.

i am he

i like the plate. that jambalaya looks good too.

i am he

bump

i am he

has anyone here taken a one off cooking class?

i am he

examples: how to bake bread, how to make jelly, etc.

i am he

im thinking about taking a "how to make croissants" class...

i am he

dogcrash truther posted:

u think they jsut teach you to make the base croissant or do they teach you the chocolate mod

they do the chocolate one

i am he

joke_explainer posted:

How are those photos anyway? Was hoping for some feedback. I think I'm hitting on as good as I can get with my lovely phone camera, but not sure if I want to go for a DSLR yet tho I'm sure I'd find more use than just food.

pictures look nice. im not a huge fan of mushrooms though.

i am he

hi osiris is dead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i am he

wow ron nice... ribeye is my favorite cut by far.