Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a ritard

by XyloJW
now i work as a cook so i like to keep it simple at home, but here is my steak recipe:

new york strip (any size, i usually go 8oz)
spices (black pepper and thyme, use any combination you like)

heat an all-metal saute pan (frying pan) to about 250 degrees (i know my electric range by simmer and boil so it's a little bit above that)

drop the steak in before it's too hot (if it doesn't sizzle, give the pan another minute to warm up)

let the steak sizzle for about 3 minutes. flip, spice the cooked side, and do the same to the other side.

drop the pan into the high oven rack and turn on the broiler on high. i like to close the oven door.

wait 6-10 minutes (you'll hear the steak really start to make noise), remove and set on the stovetop, flip the steak and let it rest 5 minutes. ideally you'll want to pull the steak just before it starts making noise, let the steak rest on a cutting board if you think it's a bit overdone.

do not trim the fat before cooking. enjoy your steak with some greens.

on ceramic knives: i tested some out and they stay extremely sharp for a long time. BUT you have to be very careful about chips, and sharpening them properly yourself is very difficult, which means that you need 2 (i get them pretty cheap - way cheaper for 2 than i'd pay for a steel slicer) the only place i know that sharpens them well is in san diego so there is a bit of shipping time and a bit of cost but if you need stuff REALLY drat SHARP and don't have the time i would try one out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a ritard

by XyloJW

Little Blue Couch posted:

i think the worst part about being a cook as a job is that instead of going home and cooking good meals you go home and make the easiest thing you can think of. for example the other day i had for dinner some bread

it's all about going big - instead of cooking up a nice little dinner after being stuck in the office all day you spend part of your day off making a big-rear end pot of chili or just stocking your fridge with veggies so you really don't have much choice in eating healthy :) that's the ideal, anyway.

e: i made 350 dinners tonight... i can make one more for myself. seriously cleaning services are gifts from the heavens.

a ritard

by XyloJW
bo pepper is a hero.

a ritard

by XyloJW
i made some pretty boss scrambled eggs this morning.

4 eggs (beaten)
1&1/2 tsp ground horseradish
dill to taste (about 1/4tsp)
salt to taste
vegetable (canola) oil about 3T (tonnes, haha j/k it's tablespoons, 4 teaspoons per)

heat the pan on medium, add oil until it shimmers.
beat and add the eggs, stir immediately.
add the horseradish. stir again.
keep an eye on it, and don't let it burn (remove from heat while stirring if it starts to get too dark)
when the liquid bits are just about gone (80% gone) add the dill, stir, add salt, stir.

remember when stirring to get the liquid parts to the bottom and the cooked parts to the top. it shouldn't be totally solid (like rubber), it should have a bit of a sheen to it if cooked properly.

goes great on fresh toast with a slice of melon

a ritard

by XyloJW
black usually isn't good, you want 7 shades lighter of brown.