Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

Resting Lich Face posted:

Been a while since I hosed up. Burned the garlic in tonight's dinner (stuffed shells with vodka sauce) and that's all I could taste.

is this u

https://i.imgur.com/EvRDOzw.gifv

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

Lizard Wizard posted:

what herbs go well in garlic butter? please advise.

all of them

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

i have not been taking pictures of food lately but here are pictures of boy-pepper enjoying a tasty hot chocolate

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

i’ve made a bunch of things in recent months

four and a half gallons of chili

a roast chicken

hot sauce and pickled corn

apple butter

red beans and rice

tomato sauce

hot chili oil

fried chicken

dumplings

strawberry jam

https://i.imgur.com/W0eDFyb.mp4

hmm?

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

looking at that chicken now i feel like it needed ten more minutes or a going over with the searzall to get the skin just right

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

i had some smoked pork from a farmer’s market that basically demanded it be used in the dish

it spoke to me

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

Robot Made of Meat posted:

These food pictures are missing something.

and what is that

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

chateau pepper has no dogs so alas i shall forever disappoint you

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

white bean stew with spring vegetables, mint pistou and shaved parmesan

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

it felt very good and healthy to eat

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

Teddy Thunders posted:

I would like the general hand waviness of the mint pistou, please. I'm looking for something to do with all this loving mint that survived winter.

a pistou is basically a pesto with fewer ingredients and more olive oil since it's more of a condiment than a sauce

finely chopped mint (or whatever herb you like)
olive oil
grated garlic
salt
pepper

mix it in whatever ratio tastes good to you

that's pistou (not much what's pistou with you)

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

I have to talk about what I made last night.

RATATOUILLE

So first off let me preface anything with me saying I've never had Ratatouille in my life. I cannot speak to how close this treatment hews to an authentic Ratatouille recipe. Anyway, I used this recipe as the general base for my activities. The more I looked it over, I realized what I was reading made Ratatouille sound like nothing less than a vegetable confit. So much olive oil in each step with each ingredient getting a lot of time to steep in the oil. It sounded like it was going to be very soft but delicious.

I wanted to counteract the softness somewhat by giving it something to sit on that was at least firm. I landed on fried polenta cakes because I had a bag of polenta sitting on my counter for the last few days. Then I thought to add goat cheese because I had an opened CostCo tube of goat cheese in my fridge. Then I topped it with some crisped up prosciutto bits because I had some in my fridge from when I forgot to add it to another dish a few days ago.

Everyone? All this random stuff all together made for one of the favorite things I've made in a long long time. Lady Pepper enjoyed that as well, saying, "That was delicious, babe. I housed that." No, she is not someone who often says or should(?) say "housed", but here we are.

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

it’s meatless mondays at casa pepper

butternut squash, chickpea and kale coconut curry over brown rice with crispy tofu

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

Teddy Thunders posted:

God drat, I would eat that

it was real good

dribbled lime juice over it

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

Teddy Thunders posted:

You ever just look at the curry you're cooking and go "drat I would eat this every day" bendier I just did that to your dinner

i’m forever cursed to feel middling at best at the prospect of leftovers no matter how delicious i found the original offering

like we’re going to eat this again on wednesday but i know i’ll just be shoveling food into my unexcited maw

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

Teddy Thunders posted:

Even if you put nice garnishes on top? The garnish is what makes the leftovers edible imo.

most of my good garnishes are earmarked for the lettuce wraps planned for tomorrow i am my worst enemy

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

i went rear end to rear end with that curry and it was a good time

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

more falafel please posted:

i need to start planning and making lunches to freeze like curry and burritos and poo poo. maybe make a proper bolognese and make a lasagna

I don't like to eat the same thing every day but if I make like 5 servings of a bunch of different things I can stagger it, but that means I have to freeze them

three or four times a year i make a gigantic pot of chili and it’s as close to a religious ceremony i have in my life

it takes all day receiving intense care and attention

i parcel out the freezer bags of chili for storage and know when push comes to shove the answer to what’s for finger can be “chili i guess?” and that is of immense comfort to me

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

where i’m from finger means dinner you must be poorly traveled and it’s certainly not a spell check alteration

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

Chicken lettuce wraps topped with green onions, sesame seeds and peanuts

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

i went to my favorite store in the world - kalustyan’s

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

Going to be making a fresh batch of chili oil tomorrow. Will be the first time I use black cardamom and sand ginger which are traditional ingredients in a Sichuan chili oil. I'm curious to see how much of a difference it makes. I suspect quite a bit.

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

Also those facing heaven peppers

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

Ok. It’s done. Best to let it steep another day before I really give it a go.

I have other pics for it during the making of it if folks are interested. I haven’t really tried it yet. The inclusion of the traditional ingredients is really throwing me for a loop. The smell let’s me know it’s very different from the oils I’ve made before and I’m interested to find out how I like it.

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

The first thing that comes to mind as a tip is to think about acid as being as important as seasoning or other aspects of flavor.

Sometimes when you taste something and it still feels muted even if it’s sufficiently salty or with whatever basic flavor you want is a hit of acid.

A squirt of citrus
A bloop of vinegar
A spoon of pickle juice

It makes a huge difference in brightening flavors.

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

i found an old knife to save i'm doing my part for the environment everyone

before

after

it's so sharp and flexible ya'll

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

just mineral oil, a toothpick to scrape the green gunk, and sharpening stones to resurrect the edge

nothing fancy

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

I can hear the crunch from here.

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

Was that a bread cooked in a dutch oven? I've done that. Very nice method but feels inches from disaster when you need to handle this heavy, screaming hot vessel to get at the bread inside.

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

It's criminal how I haven't been posting in this thread. Since I moved I have access to a much nicer kitchen and have been doing a lot of fun cooking projects. I have a smoker now! Some things have been great and some need improvement.

Here's some pics of meat!

I haven't just cooked meat but seem that's all I've photographed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

Escape From Noise posted:

Loco & Moco: Tokyo Drift

Lovely!

Here are this morning’s breakfast potatoes.