Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

poverty goat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poverty goat

My dad and his twin brother are in town for some golf or something. I had them over for dinner tonight and overcomplicated a classic southern dinner of fried potatoes, pork chops and corn on the cob.

I soaked the babby potatoes in water while the pork chops brined for an hour in a solution of salt, sugar, and molasses w/ fresh bay leaf and cracked peppercorns. After brining, I patted dry the pork chops w/ a paper towel, dusted lightly w/ hot hungarian paprika and seasoned with fresh ground black pepper, bagged them up and dropped them into my classy sous-vide bucket for ~3 hours at 65.5C (that's medium rare, and more than enough time to pasteurize the meat):

When the pork chops were almost done I blanched the potatoes in boiling water until almost done, then set them aside to cool and steam off excess moisture for a bit. As the pork chops came out of the bucket I added some rosemary, thyme, fresh garlic and parsley in butter over medium heat until fragrant, then got the potatoes going:

While the potatoes browned I unbagged the pork chops, heated my trusty cast iron to approximately the heat of the sun over a bigass gas burner and got to work searing the pork chops, just ~30 sec on each side and a quick sear of the fat along the edge:

I didn't take any pics of boiling the corn because it's loving corn. The pork chops were perfect and pork chops safely cooked to medium rare will totally ruin well-done pork for you forever, pushing it into the no-man's-land of overcooked steak and burned toast. The potatoes were crispy and delicious and I have leftovers to fry with eggs for breakfast.

poverty goat

when they dig that cutting board out of a landfill in 1000 years theyll be able to clone you from all the poop permanently embedded in the grooves

poverty goat

I ordered 3 oz of dried chipotles from amazon (along with some dried habs) with some other spices prepping for chilli season and amazon sent me a case of 8 3 oz bags of chipotles that I now need to use

I've never really done anything with chipotles other than fishing them out of adobo to put in chilli because my area doesn't have very many mexicans so I don't know where to find a decent selection of quality dried peppers. I was going to grill some country style ribs tonight anyway so I looked up a chipotle dry rub that looked good. I left out the salt because I brined the ribs and it blew my mind how tasty they were. I had some bbq sauce ready to baste on but the sample pork nuggets that got separated on the grill were so tasty that I put the bbq sauce away. I'll probably just make a whole bunch of that rub and put it in a jar for easy access since I've got chipotles for loving years.

I didn't take any pics though because I was caught up in the heat of the moment.

poverty goat

You're more likely to get e coli from raw veggies than raw meat anymore anyway

poverty goat

Tonight for dessert I peeled some peaches and poached them in sweet white wine, honey and vanilla w/ the reduced syrup and it was delicious

alnilam posted:

Cast iron pan clean tip:

i just use coarse salt

poverty goat

ive been brining pork and chicken left and right lately because gently caress, why have I not been doing this all my life? so a tablespoon here and there to clean out my cast iron is just a drop in a bucket of salt that I pour down the drain every few days

poverty goat

speaking of sausage can someone bring me up to speed on chorizo

every recipe specified that I needed high quality hydroponic chorizo but there are no mexican here so i went to 3 grocery stores and had to settle on the last pack of smithfield chorizo from food lion because it was the only chorizo in town

poverty goat

im hungry but its like 4 in the morning so im just gonna have another beer

poverty goat

new belgium's tour de fall pale ale is pretty good, if it was year round id drink it instead of sierra nevada pale ale i think

poverty goat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PE9rdmvIz0

poverty goat

over easy with toast :yum:

poverty goat

Security Drone posted:

That's an excellent way to do it.

Did you get your sous vide machine working again?

i actually got a sansaire for xmas so i havent touched it, made some pretty good ribs yesterday

poverty goat

i was told that i should post here again about things i have vizzled recently

i did a pork :butt: for 24 hours at medium with a weird brown sugar/garlic powder/anise/tangerine zest rub i found somewhere that sounded different and it was loving amazing. the seasonings came together really well in a way that i couldnt isolate the anise and garlic powder when i tasted it. a+ would rub again. ive also done a few racks of ribs lately. I tried medium rare first for 24-48 hours but i think with pork the texture is best, again, around medium. 24 Hours or so at medium and they are fall off the bone awesome. i finished the ribs and the :butt: in cast iron preheated in the broiler but in the summer id stick to my huge outside ring burner because it can get the cast iron hot as poo poo for that perfect quick sear/crust

also, one night i tried overnight steel cut oats sous-vide instead of in the slow cooler and it was actually really gross. The way that steel cut oatmeal makes the kitchen smell while it boils if you do it the normal way, the sousvide oatmeal tasted really strongly like that smell in a gross way. There's something in there that tastes bad and needs to evaporate i think. id thought it might be cool to make a bunch of single servings of oatmeal this way (individually vacuum sealed) and freeze them so I can pull them out to eat for breakfast when I don't have time. i dont even gently caress with regular or instant oatmeal for breakfast anymore because they dont stick around and then im hungry in an hour

no pics. dwi

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Apr 9, 2015

poverty goat

:toot:

I did get a sansaire for christmas so my ghetto setup has been retired. it served me well

it was actually a crock pot controller too before i went full retard. i found that the temperature was prone to overshooting way too much for quick things like steaks and fish but it worked ok for long and slow stuff like brisket

anyway i just found this the other day: http://blog.chefsteps.com/2014/09/10-foods-you-didnt-know-you-could-cook-sous-vide/

it has
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmHuXaJhRNY&hd=1

and motherfucking squeaky cheese curds?! holyshit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mSNJfl9kBE&hd=1

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 02:52 on May 6, 2015

poverty goat

i made a big pot of she crab soup today. it's delicious so you taste it and think "wow this must be made from only the highest grade of crabs" but in reality it's just a single can of claw meat suspended in roux and heavy cream with some crab base and spices. otoh if you eat it for lunch you can eat whatever you want for dessert because it can't possibly be worse for you than the soup

poverty goat

meteloides posted:

I just downloaded a new app to my phone a few days ago for keeping track of recipes I like, and I can edit things and put annotations everywhere. My phone's a Kyocera Hydro, too, so if I get something on it I can wipe it off with a damp or disinfectant cloth and it'll be fine. So I'll definitely be taking advice from both of you on this.

what app

poverty goat

i just cooked food!

This is a salmon. Among bears, salmon is considered to be the food of kings. I've had mostly bad results with individually frozen salmon filets in the past but most of those filets turned out to be from russia and china. The frozen salmon filet I am using tonight is a free range american salmon, so I have a feeling it is cut from a different cloth.

I had read over here that if you brine the salmon that white gooey stuff won't leech out of it and make it look like you jizzed on it, which is a worthy pursuit, so I'm going to try that.

This is a frozen 6oz salmon filet. There are many like it, but this one is mine. I skinned it, and my dog will eat the skin with his breakfast. Here is a photo of my dog:

Brining will tenderize tougher cuts of meat and help things like chicken/turkey breasts that tend to dry out hold their moisture. I've brined pork and brisket and turkey before but never fish. You should definitely be eating brined thanksgiving turkey in 2015, too, just fyi. This is what a salmon filet looks like when it is brining:

It looked like that for about 30 minutes. Then I sealed it up with some fresh dill and olive oil and hosed off for another 20 minutes while it cooked at 52C. I put the good side of the salmon toward the opaque side of the vacuum bag, so these next pictures suck. Go me!

That's the ugly skin side of the salmon facing through the nice clear side of the bag after cooking :argh:. I almost forgot that I put a beer in the freezer but I remembered just in time to throw that salmon on a paper plate and just scrape the dill off to the side like an animal for the group photo.

It looks like i jizzed on it, and its a little too salty. Thanks a lot for nothing, Anova. It's really good though otherwise.

Texture is perfect. I've had problems with these frozen filets being really fishy if you dont grill them or something but this guy turned out really well. Next time I might brine for less time, if at all, and use a bit more dill, but otherwise a+ would salmon again.

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Jun 6, 2015

poverty goat

i thought about searing half of it to compare but as demonstrated by the paper plate i was feeling extremely like not doing any more dishes at that point. The brine was 1/4c salt in 4 cups of ice water per the anova recipe

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Jun 6, 2015

poverty goat

om nom nom posted:

I wholeheartedly agree on the sear thing. Also I wonder how soy sauce/soy sauce and sesame oil would work in the vac bag in lieu of a brine? I think that would kill two birds with one stone. I know its a totally different flavor profile than what you are working with, but just a thought.

the flavor of the olive oil was very present in the salmon so id use something more neutral if anything if you want to taste the fish

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Jun 7, 2015

poverty goat

i made the salmon again for some family in town the other night but i forgot to take any pics until it was almost too late

i left the skin on and seared it just on the skin side to crisp it up. was good. serving with the crispy skin on top handles the cum goo problem nicely

this week im going to make some delicious char siu bao

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Jun 14, 2015

poverty goat

i cooked more food.

theres a really good bao recipe in the gws wiki: http://www.goonswithspoons.com/Home_Baked_Char_Siu_Bao_%28Hum_Bao%29

I've made it before and it was great but i wanted more meat and more sauce, so I doubled the meat and tripled the sauce and stuffed as much as possible of it into my bao and had a little pork left over which is great with me. The pork and sauce totally 100% nails the chinatown bao taste and the dough is really good but not quite the same.

I forgot to take pictures of the pork butt before I trimmed and boned it. One fun butt fact is that a pork's butt is on it's shoulder. Here is what's left of the butt:

It's traditional to use blurry ingredients for the marinade.

I marinated it all day in a bag, since I have 2.5 gallon "marinating bags" that I've had for like 10 years and never used. I mean how often do you marinate something that won't fit in a smaller bag?

Into the oven:

The meat shrunk somehow (oven gremlins?) so I consolidated it into one pan halfway through.

Sauce

Sauced.

The yeast I just bought at harris teeter (on the right) didn't do poo poo. There will be hell to pay. Good thing I had some old food lion brand yeast that was ready for action.

I didn't take any pics of kneading the dough, because its hard to take pictures while kneading dough. Here is kneaded dough.

Waiting...

Waiting...

Oh hi

It's smiling!

I didn't take pics of stuffing the baos either, because my hands were messy, but there are pics in the recipe above. Like I said I made more meat to try to stuff them fuller this time and I ended up with the dough a little too thin on the tops of some of them. They might have steamed better if I put the pinch on top instead of on the bottom but I stuck with the recipe this time.

Baked:

Steamed:

Dog:

Thank you and goodnight

poverty goat

Pomp posted:

tbh if you are capable of buying or baking decent bread but still buy crap then i have a large amount of contempt for you

most americans don't even know that bread can be good, because they grew up eating wonderbread with crust so bad that mom cut it off for them. have a little compassion

poverty goat

chicken breast

poverty goat

its time for me to post about nog again. everyone should make some nog for the holidays because it is delicious. if you don't like eggnog and you've only ever had storebought eggnog i assure you that this is almost nothing like that nastiness. this is more like a drinkable custard of your favorite booze. here's how you make it:

an ancient illuminated manuscript of the joy of cooking posted:

A rich and extravagant version that is correspondingly good. Some people like to ad a little more spirit to the following recipe remembering Mark Twain's observation that "too much of anything is bad, but too much whisky is just enough."

Ingredients:

• 12 eggs -- separated
  • 1 pound confectioner's sugar
  • 6 cups brown liquor (dark/spiced rum, brandy, bourbon, soco will all work, some people like a mix like rum+bourbon though I think brandy is best)
  • 2 quarts heavy cream
  • 1 cup peach brandy -- optional (e: I've never actually tried this and will be doing so for the first time today!)
  • freshly ground nutmeg

Directions

1. Beat egg yolks separately until light in color.
  2. Gradually beat in confectioner's sugar.
  3. Add the first 2 cups of the selected liquor.
  4. Let mixture stand covered for 1 hour to dispel the "eggy" taste.
  5. Add, beating constantly, (1/2 to all of) the remaining liquor. the whipping cream and the peach brandy.
  6. Refrigerate, covered for 3 hours.
  7. Beat 2/3 to all of the egg whites until stiff but not dry.
  8. Fold the egg whites lightly into the other ingredients.
  9. For best results age refrigerated for at least 2 weeks, up to a year, shaking daily for the first week and then whenever the mood strikes you after that.
  10. Serve sprinkled with freshly ground nutmeg, or in your morning coffee :ssh:.
recipe makes a bit over a gallon

imm making a 6x batch today but its not ready yet. here are 72 egg yolks though:

thats the only step i can do in the standup mixer because i make too much at a time :argh:

this is what eggnog looks like wben its ready to drink:

this stuff is pretty strong, almost half booze by volume and can actually tolerate 100 proof liquor very well in the same proportions as long as you're willing to age it a few weeks before drinking. so remember to use a small glass

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Oct 29, 2015

poverty goat

every step of making nog looks the same. here is some offwhite liquid in various large containers:

the turkey fryer pot is my largest kitchen container

poverty goat

all done now. my off-white liquid is now in a variety of bottles

poverty goat

its more likely than you think

poverty goat

The Goatfather posted:

Serve sprinkled with freshly ground nutmeg, or in your morning coffee .

:ssh:

:coffeepal:

also I forgot to mention that you need to refrigerate it while it ages but hopefully that goes without saying

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Oct 29, 2015

poverty goat

im making chili today :yum:

i use a mix of stew beef and pork ribmeat. This batch got homemade chili powder made from new mexico, ancho and chipotle peppers; some sliced jalapenos and diced habaneros; onion and garlic; half an amber ale to deglaze after browning; beef stock and a little tomato paste. maybe a shake of worcestershire. no fuckin tomatoes or beans. im not really posting my full chili recipe since a man's chili recipe is a deeply personal matter but here's a pro tip:

once you graduate to solid meat instead of ground meat and cut out the beans and tomatoes you get a pretty boring looking brown chili. Get some bell peppers (or better yet, cherry/pimento peppers- they're like little bell peppers but more meaty and flavorful) and halve them, seed them, and roast them in the oven while your meat simmers. once they've roasted and cooled peel off the charred skin, cut them into 3/4" or so squares and add them to the chili right at the end. I used to just toss the raw bell pepper into the chilli and call it done when they were soft but then I'd always end up with bits of translucent pepper skin floating around looking ugly and getting stuck in my teeth. This way you don't get skins in the soup and once it's said and done they retain a bit of that roasted pepper flavor and don't start to disentigrate into the broth, and some red/orange/yellow peppers really brighten it up

also, concentrated tomato paste in a tube. its the bees knees.

ok cya

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Nov 2, 2015

poverty goat

heres a pic of the shakshuka that ruined the god damned seasoning in my cast iron in 25 minutes

i blame israel

poverty goat

Bo-Pepper posted:

if cooking one acidic dish ruined your seasoning your seasoning was trash and you are trash

its hard to get a good seasoning going when other people use soap in it behind your back

reseasoning from scratch without the lovely lodge pre-season underneath is probably for the best

poverty goat

today im making bread

lookit dat fukken dough.

poverty goat

here is a bread

its gonna be tasty

poverty goat

im really happy with my bread

im also rly happy with my DIY brick oven

those are unglazed quarry tiles and you can get 44 of them at home depot for less than the cost of a pizza stone: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Daltile-...url__W425238599

poverty goat

i flunked out posted:

that is a good looking bread. how did it taste?

perfect

great crusty crust, moist inside

poverty goat

om nom nom posted:

That is some sexy bread. That's something I haven't gotten down and would love to. I also haven't put in any effort or even made bread since culinary school.

My girlfriends got a starter and it comes out decent. Not like that though.

I used this recipe, generally. I used the volumetric measurements and i needed to add a bit more water to both steps to get it to the textures described, which is going to be more important here than using exactly the measurements listed

"stretch and fold" frightened me so I looked it up on youtube and whoa this beats the hell out of kneading for 15 minutes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1timJlCT3PM

that also shows you kind of how the texture/stickiness of the dough should be since you might have to fudge the water quantity to get it there, as well as some protips for dealing with sticky wet dough like this. that video probably singlehandedly saved my bread

poverty goat

gently caress. marry. t-rex posted:

I think the idea is that you turn it real hot and they absorb a lot of heat and then radiate it while cooking so the top layer is prob good to have

Yeah this is the theory

poverty goat

A heat battery/buffer might be a better analogy.

Differences in thermal conductivity and emissivity play a role as well. A hot metal surface would very efficiently conduct heat from every corner into the bread through the interface where they make physical contact, burning the bottom before the top was done
The tiles can hold a lot of heat but can't move it around very efficiently so the dough and tile will reach equilibrium fairly quickly at the very surface of the tile but then heat from the surrounding material won't keep pouring in

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Nov 7, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poverty goat

joke_explainer posted:

Having one at the top and bottom reduces the gradient too, less variation.

Plus it's physically between the burners and the bread to mitigate any variation in the amount of radiant heat as the oven cycles on and off to maintain temperature