Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Escape From Noise

I like to use this site for Indian curry and other foods. It's a really good resource on understanding Indian recipes, ingredients, and techniques. Plus it's light on backstory food blog BS and you can calculate volume on the site.

https://www.vegrecipesofindia.com/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escape From Noise

Finger Prince posted:

Nice, I can never get the flavour right when I try to make a curry. It's never close to restaurant flavour. I know one secret is mag, but I read one recipe from the head chef of a posh hotel in India and realized I'm using like a 10th the amount of aromatics I should be. I'm going to try this at some point: https://www.vegrecipesofindia.com/dal-makhani-restaurant-style-recipe/ and yeah, 6 cloves of garlic, 1" piece of ginger, 1/2 cup of finely diced onions, plus all the whole spices - that's a lot of flavour! Looking forward to trying it.

I definitely also realized frying the cumin and mustard seed had a huge impact. Also cooking basmati rice with grapeseed oil and salt.

Escape From Noise

poverty goat posted:

one of my great breakthroughs in indian cooking was the realization that great aged basmati rice from pakistan is better and cheaper by the pound in a 10 pound sack from the indian grocery store than any of the garbage basmati I can buy in a white people grocery store. fallowed by the realization that a curry plant is practically a cactus from a care standpoint

Ethnic grocery stores are awesome as hell.

I've never grown a curry plant but that's super interesting.

Escape From Noise

Nice! Yeah. It's always amazing the difference in price. I remember when I was living in Chicago and was looking around for a rolling pin. The nearby Target had some latex bullshit that was like $30. Went to the nearby Mexican grocery where they had a simple wooden fat dowel with handles laythed on for maybe $5.

Escape From Noise

treasure bear posted:

treasure eggs benedict

my first time making hollandaise sauce, p happy with how it turned out

bonus padron peppers:

During one stint of unemployment I had a Hollandaise sauce/Ramos gin fizz cycle going. Good stuff.

Escape From Noise

I made dal curry using this recipe.
https://www.vegrecipesofindia.com/masoor-dal-easy-masoor-dal/

I also added Japanese pumpkin, potatoes, mushrooms, and spinach. I think it turned out pretty good. Probably worth burning my fingers a bit.

Escape From Noise

Heather Papps posted:

HOW DARE YOU I AM TRYING TO SLIM DOWN drat YOU TO HELL AND BACK

Then wouldn't vegetable curry be healthy?

Escape From Noise

hamjobs posted:

Low effort meh dining post: making BuzzFeed's one pot pasta just to see how it compares with Sunday sauce and homemade pasta which is my high effort post for better weekend maybe with a video because I like to talk about my pasta process with nerds ok

You're not serious unless you call in "gravy" apparently.

Escape From Noise

poverty goat posted:

This is what 2.5 pounds of cilantro looks like and my goal is to do something with all of it before it melts in my refrigerator

Guac and pho?

Escape From Noise

My mom always made a really nice veggie lasagna with spinach and ricotta cheese as a filling.

Escape From Noise

Manifisto posted:

cool, if you have a recipe I'd love to see it!

I did a test run with a pretty simple recipe I found online--this was just with store-bought noodles, haven't graduated to the handmade ones yet--and I think it's pretty promising. I think it could really use a bunch of mushrooms for meatiness however.

I don't know if she has one. I'll check.

Escape From Noise

I once cooked a whole chicken, used the bones and bits for stock, then made enchiladas out of all of it. It was a really cool and rewarding project but man it's been a second since I've had the time, and I don't have an oven at the moment.

Thank you Pot Smoke Pheonnix for this Kickin' Rad sig

Escape From Noise

Home fries! Home fries! Home fries!

Escape From Noise

My friend gave me a yuzu from his grandpa's tree or something. I'm not totally sure what to make with it. Especially since I don't really have time to cook lately.

Escape From Noise

Have a pot of lentil and veggie soup simmering on the stove right now. Half based on my mom's recipe, half based on the masoor dal recipe I usually use. Hopefully this will help prevent me from eating like poo poo.

Escape From Noise

I'm pretty loving pleased with how this lentil soup came out.

Escape From Noise

poverty goat posted:

nice looking soup

Thanks! I'm really happy with how it turned out!

Basically I followed this recipe for the masala up until the part about adding tomatoes and instead threw in a bunch of chopped celery, cauliflower, and spinach and sauteed that for a bit before adding a liter of tomato juice and a liter of water, then adding potatoes, kabocha (Japanese pumpkin) and mushrooms and about a cup and a half of rinsed Turkish red lentils
https://www.vegrecipesofindia.com/masoor-dal-easy-masoor-dal/

Then I added bay leaves, black pepper, rosemary, basil, and thyme, simmered it for about an hour and a half, threw in some kasoori menthi in the last few minutes and then threw in some salt and chopped up cilantro after I cut the heat. If anyone is interested in the specifics.

Escape From Noise

The pumpkin isn't bad but if I make it again I think I'll cut it. It doesn't fit very well even though I like the texture a lot.

Escape From Noise

poverty goat posted:

Last week I did like a pot roast but with indian spices, sweet potatoes instead of white and some frozen coconut+coconut milk and it was good but the star of the show was the sweet potatoes and carrots in the rich coconut broth over sweet kokuho rice. i will definitely revisit this, maybe just with chickpeas instead of beef

It's been a while since I made it but I remember this recipe for coconut curry with black chickpeas being good.
https://www.vegrecipesofindia.com/kala-chana-curry-recipe/

Escape From Noise

Ina Garten's I'm eatin' baby...

Escape From Noise

I meant it as an In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida riff but also this makes sense

Escape From Noise

Switched up my miso soup routine and used a white miso base with eggplant, green onion, silken tofu, and shimeji mushrooms. Also made some pretty routine ginger pork.

Escape From Noise

I really like making toast with a really rustic kind of bread, spreading it with some chevre, adding some red onion, tomato, and bitter leafy greens, then topping that with a fried egg.

Escape From Noise

I made some kimchi fried rice. It turned out pretty good. Could probably have used more kimchi.

First I threw some onions and green peppers in the wok with some vegetable oil and sesame oil.

Threw in some pork as well as some salt and pepper (push it real good)

Pepper flakes BB

Sprouts!

A little garlic and ginger.

Time to mix it up!

Added the rice.

Kimchi time. Also added soy sauce, mirin, and cooking sake.

A bit of scrambled egg

It's finished

I know it's nothing special but it turned out alright. I'd like to have more kimchi. Also would have probably been better with some Korean chili paste but a solid base.

Escape From Noise

Taco night!

Escape From Noise

I keep trying to make dashi maki tamago. This is my fourth attempt.

It's not very good but before closing down I got 20 eggs from work, plus the dozen I had just bought so I have plenty of time and plenty of eggs.

Escape From Noise

Still not quite there but better than my last attempt. Progress!

Escape From Noise

Not the prettiest looking thing, but I made a bok choy stir fry because I need to eat a bit healthier. Been not doing so much of that lately.

Escape From Noise

I made some masoor daal again, which is always nice. I'm soaking chickpeas for hummus now and have boiled beats in the refrigerator to make into a sorta veggie borscht once my new food processor comes tomorrow. I may need more Tupperware.

Escape From Noise

Resting Lich Face posted:

Coming soon to an effortpost near you: homemade biscuits and sausage gravy. YEEEEEHAW :banjo:

drat. That sounds good

Escape From Noise

I finally made kala chana chaat 

Escape From Noise

It is hummus time, my orbs.

Escape From Noise

Kala chana curry

Escape From Noise

Punjabi Chole Masala

Escape From Noise

Resting Lich Face posted:

Willy pls cook for me thanks

Any time you're around! If not here's the recipe I used.
https://www.vegrecipesofindia.com/punjabi-chole-chickpeas-in-a-spicy-gravy/

Escape From Noise

Finally cooked something sort of substantial for the first time in a while. Some masoor dal with a salad and a guava mojito.

Escape From Noise

RYYSZLA posted:

Tonight I'm having a go at making Beef Dhansak with Mango Chutney & probably some sort of lentil or cauliflower rice

Will post pictures if it doesn't look rubbish like everything else I cook

Presentation is a pain in the butt. Just post IMHO. We won't rip on you about it.

Escape From Noise

Because that sounds delicious

Escape From Noise

Made a mixed dal and veggie curry with cauliflower, Japanese pumpkin, and potatoes. It is very spicy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escape From Noise

I was just thinking about making some chili oil! Not that much though! Unfortunately, I have a small kitchen!