Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
I can't remember the exact number, but I'm pretty sure they usually label Sonic as eternally 15, or something around there. He's definitely not old enough to drink. Amy's like 11, and Tails is like, 5.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Flytrap posted:

I can't remember the exact number, but I'm pretty sure they usually label Sonic as eternally 15, or something around there. He's definitely not old enough to drink. Amy's like 11, and Tails is like, 5.

So if we choose Amy, Sonic is a dangerous pedophile and closer to the actual definition of a pedophile too.

darealkooky posted:

If I had to give anyone the incredibly nebulous award of "best gameplay in sonic 2006" it would be shadow, his controls don't have any of the major gently caress ups the other two idiots have and his levels tend to work the way the game expects them to most of the time instead of just freaking out constantly and killing you.

this is major pyrrhic victory though, since this also means you actually have to play sonic 2006 legitimately, as he doesn't really have anything that lets him sequence break/jump hella high over stuff

Shadow "benefits" in that way by having the most boring gameplay but there are some areas where he can sequence break in entertaining ways.

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING

Flytrap posted:

Character age continuity is weird in this series because with each passing game how old the supporting characters always were gets younger and younger. Charmy Bee used to be like 16.

And then when they made him six the comics decided the best way to tie this in was to literally give him brain damage, I poo poo you not.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?

I said most of the time for a reason. Although shadows train is still way less hosed then sonics because there are no mach speed sections.

MassRafTer posted:

Shadow "benefits" in that way by having the most boring gameplay but there are some areas where he can sequence break in entertaining ways.
Maybe I'm just not deep enough down the rabbit hole, but I thought all of shadows sequence breaks involved his trusty companions instead of the angst master himself?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

darealkooky posted:

I said most of the time for a reason. Although shadows train is still way less hosed then sonics because there are no mach speed sections.

Maybe I'm just not deep enough down the rabbit hole, but I thought all of shadows sequence breaks involved his trusty companions instead of the angst master himself?

Shadow has a glitch that let's him teleport through walls and he can do the mission select glitch that Silver and Sonic can do. He has a few other little ones that let him skip some vehicles too.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I like what you do, and I think it's good, so I made you a fanart.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Silver's first line in the game is... Unwisely chosen. Questioning how those hedgehogs came to being from second one doesn't do him any favors, you can't help but wonder what his parents look like.
Especially after having played through Sonic's story.
edit: poo poo, Silver is a cyclops too. One would think they'd watch for something like that given the fact that all the effort obviously went into the cutscenes and not the game.
And Syphilis! Meaning presumably Shadow too! Maybe it's a genetic defect to hedgehogs?

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Aug 17, 2014

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Update!

Do you like dogs? Do you like apples? Do you like sidequests? Well then this update is for you! This update is all about playing with dogs, doing sidequests and glitches. Also I compare Sonic 06 and Slaughterhouse 5.

Part 5 (Sidequests!): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzXNUYftVgg

Question for the thread:

I'm going to record the next section in the next day or two. Would you rather see more Sonic or more Silver? (Shadow isn't unlocked yet.)

Sonic's next update would include: Sidequests, Shadow Moses Island and Crisis City
Silver would be: Sidequests, Dusty Desert, an Amy level, Sonic boss fight and Shadow Moses Island.

FactsAreUseless posted:

I like what you do, and I think it's good, so I made you a fanart.

I wanna see Sonic with sneakers on his hands so bad. Just sneakers trailing behind him as he runs.

MassRafTer fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Aug 17, 2014

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

MassRafTer posted:

I wanna see Sonic with sneakers on his hands so bad. Just sneakers trailing behind him as he runs.
"Take this, Robotnik!" *waves hands around wildly, sneakers flying everywhere, knocking into robots and hitting Eggman in the face*

Spikey
May 12, 2001

From my cold, dead hands!

You get 12500 points as a time bonus for some reason, so you actually need 100 apples for a C rank. You need 175 if you want an S rank.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Spikey posted:

You get 12500 points as a time bonus for some reason, so you actually need 100 apples for a C rank. You need 175 if you want an S rank.

I noticed that when I decided to try it again after recording one of the glitch videos. I got a C. :(

If one day I post a 3 hour video of failing to S-Rank the apple festival do not be surprised if the LP is abandoned soon after.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Can you just keep an apple held with your psychic powers and keep dunking the same apple over and over again for easy points?

Mr. Soop
Feb 18, 2011

Bonsai Guy
I don't know which is worse, the fact that the programming on such a basic minigame can completely poo poo itself like it did, or that someone thought the apple minigame was something that needed to be in the game. :cripes:

On the subject of Silver being like Trunks, I read somewhere once that in the production process, notes on the story said he's "basically like Trunks" or something to that effect. Also his little TK panel logo even resembles the Capsule Corp. logo somewhat.

But then again this game is well known for completely plagiarizing aspects of paying homage to other games, so take it as you will. :downs:

Oblivion4568238
Oct 10, 2012

The Inquisition.
What a show.
The Inquisition.
Here. We. Go.
College Slice

SystemLogoff posted:

Can you just keep an apple held with your psychic powers and keep dunking the same apple over and over again for easy points?

I'd say not, the couple of times an apple on top of the barrels rolls in, you can see it disappear the moment it's over the opening and counting for points.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Mr. Soop posted:

I don't know which is worse, the fact that the programming on such a basic minigame can completely poo poo itself like it did, or that someone thought the apple minigame was something that needed to be in the game. :cripes:

The second.

The game's code shits itself all the time, to the point where it being hosed to all hell isn't surprising at all. But that minigame is crappy and dull on so many levels that I'm shocked anyone thought that it was worth including, even in a game this bad.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Combining "if you have time to worry, run instead" with Sonic's constant refrain of "gotta go fast" really shows the crippling anxiety problems he's trying to run away from.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

I'm voting for more of the blue blur Sonic T. Hedgehog, so that you can unlock the last of our three heroes

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
I do not understand why you are spoiling that. This game doesn't deserve the decency of spoiling loving anything. Did you see that post on the first page that straight up says the twist behind the Iblis Trigger?

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

Gologle posted:

I do not understand why you are spoiling that. This game doesn't deserve the decency of spoiling loving anything. Did you see that post on the first page that straight up says the twist behind the Iblis Trigger?

I don't want to ruin the high fiction of Game of Games Sonic The Hedgehog, duh???

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

More Goku please (Sonic)

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

SystemLogoff posted:

I'm pretty sure that as said they just vanish when they are counted but I may play around with the apples some more.

Bruceski posted:

Combining "if you have time to worry, run instead" with Sonic's constant refrain of "gotta go fast" really shows the crippling anxiety problems he's trying to run away from.

I wonder what happened to him before the all of the 2D games. Must've been depressing.

Gologle posted:

Yeah spoiler tags are not needed, I just spoiled things in case Hulkamatt is reading and doesn't want the next set of levels spoiled. Wouldn't want to change this LP from anything but a cruel joke on him.

NuclearPotato
Oct 27, 2011

I'd say do Silver up to the Sonic fight. Gotta keep our timelines straight, ya know!

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
I want to see you do more of the game before you ragequit because of the ball puzzle, so Sonic please.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

I haven't played this game, luckily.

But I suggest the following strategy for the apple game.

- Pick up a bunch of apples.
- Drop them on top of another bunch of apples.
- Now pick up the double bunch of apples in one go.
- Repeat.
- Once all apples in the field are stacked in one big heap, pick all of it up at once and drop them over the barrels.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Carbon dioxide posted:

- Repeat.
- Once all apples in the field are stacked in one big heap, pick all of it up at once and drop them over the barrels.

Doesn't each apple individually eat up some of the psychic bar? I don't think Silver's brain can handle that many apples.

Mr. Soop
Feb 18, 2011

Bonsai Guy

Carbon dioxide posted:

- Repeat.

The flaw in this plan is that the game limits how many objects you can pick up at a time. So while piling all of them together sounds good in theory, in practice you'd be picking only a few up at a time, sending other apples that might be on top of the ones you grabbed (as you cannot really choose which ones your grab locks onto) flying off into god knows where, and having to do it over again anyway when only a couple of the apples you grabbed actually fall into the barrels.

That's right, you can't even cheese that minigame. It's borderline reliant entirely on luck to complete it and get a decent rank.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Playing the game normally without it loving you in strange and interesting ways is completely reliant on luck, so I'd say you don't need the limiter for Let's Make The Most Of Our Physics Engine We Bought From Better Developers: A Chucklefuck Production Minigamefart.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

We can't answer these questions by talking about them, we answer them by sitting down and playing the loving apple sidequest for 20 minutes. You shouldn't watch this video. It's that mini game for 20 minutes. It's my first time doing live commentary.

Bonus Apple Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tsCiJI6YuBE

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Why do you do this to yourself?

This game is so badly made and designed. I'm wondering how this steaming pile can even be redeemed.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Dr. Fetus posted:

Why do you do this to yourself?

This game is so badly made and designed. I'm wondering how this steaming pile can even be redeemed.

When you've watched a lot of really bad media in your life I find I can sit back and kind of just enjoy anything that is either really lovely or great. Stuff in the middle I find intolerable.

geri_khan
May 16, 2009

Fucking blocks... I'm gonna climb the shit outta you!
What's worse is it looks like you can sometimes see apples sitting on top of the barrels and not going on.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Someday there will be a legit, informative 100% LP of this game. I'm going to look forward to the sidequest videos.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
I offer my sympathies to the poor fucker who one-hundred percents this game. Even if I am long dead I have put aside a special store of sympathy for that person; in the event that it occurs after my passing the sympathies will still be delivered.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

Neruz posted:

I offer my sympathies to the poor fucker who one-hundred percents this game. Even if I am long dead I have put aside a special store of sympathy for that person; in the event that it occurs after my passing the sympathies will still be delivered.

I just checked youtube. There have been three attempts at 100% runs, the farthest one has got was to the end of Shadow's part, however that might be still ongoing. The last update was on July 29th.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Good! That means there's still an opportunity for a goon to be first!

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Silver travels to the Tropical Jungle, for my money the worst designed level in the game. Blaze takes the express from Crisis City to Shell Beach and then we meet up with Amy as we try to hunt down and kill the Iblis Trigger.

Part 6 (Tropical Jungle, Wave Beach and Amy): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1k3Gzfvx984

GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
Blaze is indeed from Sonic Rush.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

I have an actual gameplay related question about sonic 2006

so I beat sonics story and like a billion loving items all unlock and they're all incredibly expensive, is there any way to make money besides replaying the last level over and over so I can use these things?

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

darealkooky posted:

I have an actual gameplay related question about sonic 2006

so I beat sonics story and like a billion loving items all unlock and they're all incredibly expensive, is there any way to make money besides replaying the last level over and over so I can use these things?

I think you can replay any level. If you prefer the last level, that is fine. You can also do missions, which are fairly easy to do (or know when it is too much of a pain in the rear end to attempt.) Some side quests may be repeatable? It has been 6 years since I;ve played so my memory is fuzzy...

Pro-tip, buy the purple one first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I've never really thought about it but what are the requirements to truly 100% the entire game? All silver and gold medals?

• Locked thread