Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Hedera Helix posted:

This game has such wonderful glitches. Like, why does releasing the glide button at a specific moment cause the moon jump? What programming oversight could even lead to that?

I am just speculating but maybe the animation that brings the character's legs down glitches through the floor and causes them to shoot into the air?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Here we go. If you are going to watch one video of Shadow's DLC it should probably be this one (although some later levels are stunningly awful.) White Acropolis isn't too bad, but we do glitch through the worst part of it. Kingdom Valley however is atrocious. Just atrocious. I'll tell you all about why it is so bad too!

Part 55 (Shadow's Very Hard Mode 1/?): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3EOMKErF1_M

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

I realise I'm coming into this thread very late but I feel I ought to mention that I am the oft-speculated idiot that 100%'ed this game. I got all the Silver Medals, S-Ranked everything on Normal and Hard. Got every single Achievement.

And you know what? I did it without using any of the loving nuts speedrun glitches Mass has been showing off throughout. I loving GODDAMN S-RANKED SILVER'S DUSTY DESERT ON BOTH DIFFICULTIES WITHOUT GLITCHING OUT THE DOOR AT THE END!

I am an idiot.

I have, however, never seen the DLC levels and god help me they're making me want to pick up the game again and try them out for myself.

God help us all.

Ramengank
Jun 11, 2010

Captain Fargle posted:

I realise I'm coming into this thread very late but I feel I ought to mention that I am the oft-speculated idiot that 100%'ed this game. I got all the Silver Medals, S-Ranked everything on Normal and Hard. Got every single Achievement.

And you know what? I did it without using any of the loving nuts speedrun glitches Mass has been showing off throughout. I loving GODDAMN S-RANKED SILVER'S DUSTY DESERT ON BOTH DIFFICULTIES WITHOUT GLITCHING OUT THE DOOR AT THE END!

I am an idiot.

I have, however, never seen the DLC levels and god help me they're making me want to pick up the game again and try them out for myself.

God help us all.

If you watched the video that was just posted and you're saying "yeah I should try that out myself", the only conclusion I can come up with is you derive enjoyment out of your own suffering.

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

The laws of the fiesta mean nothing!

Ramengank posted:

If you watched the video that was just posted and you're saying "yeah I should try that out myself", the only conclusion I can come up with is you derive enjoyment out of your own suffering.

Well, in a Sonic game with better controls, having to kill an enemy in midair, then turn ninety degrees to jump to a platform seems like a neat idea for hard DLC. It's more inspired than a lot of the other Very Hard levels.

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

Ramengank posted:

These are the words of someone who's never never tried to S-Rank the goddamn billiards.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Captain Fargle posted:

These are the words of someone who's never never tried to S-Rank the goddamn billiards.

You'd probably enjoy the Sonic DLC. There's a few levels I genuinely sort of enjoyed... when they worked.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Captain Fargle posted:

I am an idiot.

God help us all.

wait did you really S-rank the apples game without the bridge exploit?

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

wait did you really S-rank the apples game without the bridge exploit?

The only "exploit" I used was Sonic's ability to use the equippable gems infinitely. S-Ranking most of his stuff besides Radical Train becomes pretty trivial when you can just have the Red Gem (Time slowing) running continuously.

EDIT: Honestly the real bother with Sonic isn't S-Ranks, it's getting all the hidden medals. Vice versa for Silver's levels.

Captain Fargle fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Dec 4, 2014

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
I have to say, as awful as that Kingdom Valley was, at the very least you can see they actually changed stuff for Shadow's Very Hard DLC, unlike all of Silver or most of Sonic. So that's kinda neat, I guess?

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

Captain Fargle posted:

I am an idiot.

God help us all.

You're not the only one. Well, sorta. I did all of Shadow and Silver's normal and hard missions with no glitches and S ranked them (Dusty Desert and that ball puzzle at the end was so infuriating), but I gave up after trying to S-rank End of the World. I was leaving Sonic's stages until last because of the gems.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

I have to say, as awful as that Kingdom Valley was, at the very least you can see they actually changed stuff for Shadow's Very Hard DLC, unlike all of Silver or most of Sonic. So that's kinda neat, I guess?

"is Omega in this level?" "No sir." "WHY NOT? PUT HIM IN!"

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
It's been awhile since I checked in- is the 100% all medals thing still on?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Discendo Vox posted:

It's been awhile since I checked in- is the 100% all medals thing still on?

I briefly considered it but I value my sanity. I'm going to need a break from this game after I finish Very Hard Mode, I'll come back to finish the other DLC and multiplayer.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

MassRafTer posted:

I briefly considered it but I value my sanity. I'm going to need a break from this game after I finish Very Hard Mode, I'll come back to finish the other DLC and multiplayer.

Bah. My dream of a true 100% informative LP of Sonic 06, ending with a true 100% informative video of the Lper committing bad game-induced suicide, will have to wait...

Seriously, that's an entirely understandable decision.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Sometimes I hate this game. I finished Shadow's DLC last night and Dusty Desert is even more miserable than it was before. (Some of the other levels are actually fun though!) I sat down and saw two videos I recorded of White Acropolis and decided to see what they were. This is what they were, they made me fall in love with this game once more.

Bonus Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GnXt7oXEMR4

Warning: If you get motion sickness, have epilepsy or are living do not watch this video!!!!

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

MassRafTer posted:

Sometimes I hate this game. I finished Shadow's DLC last night and Dusty Desert is even more miserable than it was before. (Some of the other levels are actually fun though!) I sat down and saw two videos I recorded of White Acropolis and decided to see what they were. This is what they were, they made me fall in love with this game once more.

Warning: If you get motion sickness, have epilepsy or are living do not watch this video!!!!

Hey, that snowball was just following a proud tradition of courteous Sonic deathtraps!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnUgeEGstDU

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
Sonic 2006 is a great game.

Thanks for LPing it.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

MassRafTer posted:

If I had to wager a guess they didn't want players tanking the hit then going down the hill at their own leisure so they deliberatly programmed the giant snow ball to stop after you take a hit.

Ramengank
Jun 11, 2010

David D. Davidson posted:

If I had to wager a guess they didn't want players tanking the hit then going down the hill at their own leisure so they deliberatly programmed the giant snow ball to stop after you take a hit.

But as long as you can grab one of the rings you drop, you can go down the hill at your own leisure. So if they were going for that sense of urgency then oops. Honestly I'd expect this to be an instadeath because that would make you want to rush.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Crisis City and Flame Core are much, much easier than Kingdom Valley, especially after you've played them once before. Unfortunately this ruins one of my jokes, but hey, you'll still get to see long drawn out vehicle sections and the single dumbest looking thing so far in this game.

Part 56 (Shadow's Very Hard DLC 2/?): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gnXyIaIK4k

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

The oscillating spike balls reminded me of Ecco... although it wasn't nearly as bad a mechanic, in those games.

FruitPunchSamurai
Oct 20, 2010

I'm willing to bet that a fair number of children have played Sonic 2006 as their first sonic game and unironically enjoyed it.

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.

FruitPunchSamurai posted:

I'm willing to bet that a fair number of children have played Sonic 2006 as their first sonic game and unironically enjoyed it.

These children are likely old enough to vote now or soon, and that absolutely terrifies me.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!
:siren:

pointlessone posted:

These children are likely old enough to vote now or soon, and that absolutely terrifies me.

Videogames can't become president.

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

pointlessone posted:

Oh, like you never enjoyed playing bad games as a kid.

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,
God doesn't help little frogs.

He helps people like me.

Hedera Helix posted:

Oh, like you never enjoyed playing bad games as a kid.

I too loved Crash Bandicoot Racing.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
Your dedication to bad games astounds me, MassRafTer. :stare: Even by LP standards, you're just putting so much effort into such an awful game. You're giving nine-gear crow in the White Knight Chronicles thread a serious run for his money.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Please. Crow is literally translating DLC that never came out in the West and did the online-only postgame dungeon. This isn't even close to what Crow's doing.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Cheez posted:

Videogames can't become president.

"Through write-in votes, this year the president of the United States will be... Princess Elise of Soleanna, with VP HonkHonk the Honkhog"

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,
God doesn't help little frogs.

He helps people like me.
So what you're saying is MassRafter needs to translate a Sonic game that never came to the West.

Lemme tell you about Sonic Athletics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8xrIRkSh-Y

TwoPair posted:

"Through write-in votes, this year the president of the United States will be... Princess Elise of Soleanna, with VP HonkHonk the Honkhog"

The Affordable Honk Act is well on its way to becoming law.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Waffleman_ posted:

Please. Crow is literally translating DLC that never came out in the West and did the online-only postgame dungeon. This isn't even close to what Crow's doing.

But which game fought back harder? ...it's still hard to judge.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Waffleman_ posted:

I'll go pretty far in the name of bad poo poo, anyone who hangs out on PSP-TV can attest to the weird poo poo I've paid money to tape traders for... but that's a step more than I'm willing to go.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

mycot posted:

But which game fought back harder? ...it's still hard to judge.

Lunar Dragon Song. It's fighting back against basic play.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Waffleman_ posted:

He's playing more Sonic 06. Those are about equal I would say.

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

Lunar Dragon Song. It's fighting back against basic play.

Camel Pimp is LPing it now. The decisions in game design the team that made that game made are baffling to say the least.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Three whole levels and one of them is pretty fun! The Radical Train brings the glitches, Wave Ocean brings the fun and Aquatic Base does whatever the hell it does. I don't know what is more astonishing the amazing glitch we encounter in Radical Train or the fact Wave Ocean is fun.

Part 57 (Shadow's Very Hard DLC 3/4): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TX4tTRZbpkc

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
I think you can hit the plungers a second time after they're blue to turn them orange, and then again to turn them back off, which implies to me that it is related to magnetism (positive, negative, off). Don't ask me why they kill Iblis stuff though...

"The Bike is lighter than the Buggy, and it's easier to steer." That might be the biggest lie in the entire game.

And wow, Very Hard Shadow Wave Ocean there might actually be a legitimately good level. I'm amazed.

Admiral H. Curtiss fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Dec 8, 2014

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

I think you can hit the plungers a second time after they're blue to turn them orange, and then again to turn them back off, which implies to me that it is related to magnetism (positive, negative, off). Don't ask me why they kill Iblis stuff though...

"The Bike is lighter than the Buggy, and it's easier to steer." That might be the biggest lie in the entire game.

And wow, Very Hard Shadow Wave Ocean there might actually be a legitimately good level. I'm amazed.

The game would probably be much more tolerable if levels were split into acts like 2D games are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torokasi
Jan 13, 2011

Powered up to a level 2 super schmendrick.
I #StandWithHulkaMatt'sLadder. Do you, gentle viewers?

Also all of Shadow's Very Hard Mode looks like absolute drat bullshit so far.

• Locked thread