Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
keykey
Mar 28, 2003

My wife is a social worker and yes the money is absolute crap vs the harm you put yourself into. Needless to say it's a nice accessory job, but never expect to be the breadwinner by any means for your family. My wife has worked for many different agencies and has worked with many different people from human trafficking victims to your every day hosed up family. Also, don't go into it expecting that the reason you're doing it is for the children and to get them out of their environment. The whole purpose of social work, at least from the county side is to help families get the help they need so they can be reunited. That means that you have to have the type of mentality that you're OK with sending a kid back to their abusive parent/s because there wasn't enough evidence to convict. I've heard many tales of hosed up situations courtesy of social work and there's no way in hell I'd be able to do it, but if you're one of the few individuals that can work though it, more power to you. Just don't go into thinking you're going to change the world or even the lives of many people, because that isn't how it works. Some of the poo poo that she tells me makes me cringe just thinking about it, it's a hosed up world out there and if you're into that, go for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread