Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC
I wish Jozy the Six-Tool Striker Josmer Altidore aka Drogba Jr or BIg Jeezy played for the Portland Homos because there would be some insane videogame burger tifos out there for him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Just gonna assume Portland Homos is a real team because this is the garbage country that gave us the something something Redskins.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

Brendan Rodgers posted:

this is the garbage country that gave us the something something Redskins.

The Redskins name is good and it isn't racist

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe
Defoe's goal yesterday has stirred up another round of Jozy posts

quote:

How good is the EPL, really?

Its an honest question. It’s a very, very EXPENSIVE league, mind…but outside the top 5-6 teams, which are just absurdly overpaid with the exception of Southampton, is the level really that great?

I think it’s an extremely PRESSURIZED league, mind. Given the vast amounts of money thrown at these players the fan expectations and media pressure is just insane, and they’re just incredibly vicious and put guys in a fishbowl that I don’t know how any young player survives, to be honest with you. But the level of play just plain doesn’t impress me a ton, usually. It’s not as pretty technically as La Liga, not as tactical as Serie A, not as polished and precise and lockstep as the Bundesliga, doesn’t have near the flair of the Brazilian league.

Something’s off, with English soccer. The top teams import a bunch of highly-paid foreigners, but for whatever reason they’re doing a pretty crappy job of developing English players. I don’t know if it’s a general lack of athleticism in the English population or the aforementioned media/fan hostility but for whatever reason, as much soccer as they play and as much money as they spend on it, the English are just not that great at soccer right now…which is definitely borne out by the results – or lack thereof – their national team has gotten lately. They took second to the US in 2010 – and that was legit; we were better. They didn’t even make it out of group in Brazil…and that was legit, Costa Rica and Uruguay were better. And they win a lot of games against the likes of Malta and Wales 1-0 in qualifying.

Altidore was more than a good enough soccer player to be at Sunderland. I do question know if he had thick enough skin to make it in England…and IMHO a whole bunch of that starts off the field and has nothing to do with soccer. That’s not being a “man’s league”, that’s a social problem. There’s a weirdly hostile culture there that tends to eat its own, and almost seems to enjoy tossing soccer players off the sacrificial altar the moment they start struggling, and you gotta be just INCREDIBLY thick-skinned to gut through it.

quote:

So how is it that he scores pretty consistently at the International level, against even the top squads?

He’s scored great – not just good – goals against the likes of Spain as far back at the ’09 Confeds Cup, when he shrugged off and turned Pujols and then almost took Iker Castillo’s hand off with a blast from outside 18. He got a brace against Germany and then a hat trick in Bosnia. With the USMNT, he looks different. I can guarantee you if we ever bump into England at the International level he’ll be dangerous all day – he was, in fact, quite dangerous against England in the 2010 World Cup, and really should have scored when he absolutely dogged Jamie Carragher around the edge and almost snuck one in at near post. He looked good enough then – against the alleged best from England.

Barvo
Feb 19, 2008

by Ralp

African AIDS cum posted:

The Redskins name is good and it isn't racist

This is 100% not true even if Libs are ruining the States or w/e, no place for it in the modern game

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
GG please rename me Iker Castillo

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Pujols was offsides

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
e: I hosed this up I'm sorry

blue footed boobie fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Apr 7, 2015

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

blue footed boobie fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Apr 7, 2015

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

trem_two posted:

I don’t know if it’s a general lack of athleticism in the English population

MODS

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
God damnit I have no idea how I did this I'm sorry

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!

blue footed boobie posted:

You'll never recover from this.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

Jesus Christ dude

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

the legendary quadruple post spotted in its natural habitat

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
I did a posting spaz-out like that once.

I was trying to post Jozy's goal against Germany.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Gigi Galli posted:

Jesus Christ dude

what did he post at first

Shit Farm
Jan 10, 2013

Parody Threads posted:

This is 100% not true even if Libs are ruining the States or w/e, no place for it in the modern game

It's not don't be a human being.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

pik_d posted:

Who knows!!!

poo poo Farm posted:

It's not don't be a human being.

who cares don't talk about this.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

pik_d posted:

I tried to do my original post, but I accidentally copied and pasted an article from USA Today about the Rollingstone rape lawsuit instead of what I meant to post. Then I kept trying to edit it, but I was on mobile and I kept fat-fingering the quote and edit button.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

I tried to do my original post, but I accidentally copied and pasted an article from USA Today about the Rollingstone rape lawsuit instead of what I meant to post. Then I kept trying to edit it, but I was on mobile and I kept fat-fingering the quote and edit button.

Jozy has the first touch of a UVA frat boy

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

African AIDS cum posted:

Well he definitely was hounded out of his home by a hysterical media and internet putting pressure on his institution. It all fits!

Barvo
Feb 19, 2008

by Ralp

African AIDS cum posted:

Um i bet if you were to actually ask a UVA frat boy for his opinion on the matter he would say someone like Jozy will never have anything in comment with him.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Byolante posted:

Well he definitely was hounded out of his home by a hysterical media and internet putting pressure on his institution. It all fits!

Nothing fits Jozy because he's fat as heck.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

That might be the most hilarious thing I've ever read. Thanks, was having a really poo poo day too

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

NNick posted:

Top Scorer: YAYA SANOGO!!!!!
Difference: 1
Bojan goals: 5
Jozy goals: 5
YAYA SANOGO GOALS:6

Gigi Galli posted:

Hm this isn't part of the contest and because of this, if Yaya Sanogo doesn't score at least 6 goals you will be banned.

Sanogo has some work to do

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Gigi Galli posted:

Hm this isn't part of the contest and because of this, if Yaya Sanogo doesn't score at least 6 goals you will be banned.

Anyone know how many goals Sanogo scored?

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

African AIDS cum posted:

Anyone know how many goals Sanogo scored?

lol RIP NNick

Barvo
Feb 19, 2008

by Ralp
Ahahah that's like opening a bottle of pretty good (~$150) wine after letting it age a bit. Maybe not incredible but very enjoyable.

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Tortuga means turtle, and that's me. I take my time but I always win.

Whats the TRP contest going to be this season? Falcao vs ?

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Strawman posted:

Whats the TRP contest going to be this season? Falcao vs ?

Falcao goals vs. Delph appearances would be fun

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

A Falcao contest could be good. If anyone has any contest ideas feel free to post them here.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Falcao goals vs. Balotelli goals.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Gigi Galli posted:

A Falcao contest could be good. If anyone has any contest ideas feel free to post them here.

Falcao goals vs. Falcao injuries

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

vyelkin posted:

Mario will be long gone by the time the league starts.

Straight up Falcao appearances/goals

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

Ewar Woowar posted:

Mario will be long gone by the time the league starts.

Straight up Falcao appearances/goals

You gotta weight that poo poo, he kicked the ball towards the goal like once from February on

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

How many Falcao goals vs how many times Begovic starts

Both in the league

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Potato Count: 2 small potatoes
But who cares about Falcao? It needs to be someone more "meme worthy" like Torres or Jozy were. Someone who can truly "epic fail."

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
Surely avg DZ SiBoT per minute played. I claim 0.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

jyrka posted:

But who cares about Falcao? It needs to be someone more "meme worthy" like Torres or Jozy were. Someone who can truly "epic fail."

Falcao is pretty big time fail op.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

vyelkin posted:

Seconded.

• Locked thread