Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bibendum
Sep 5, 2003
nunc est Bibendum
Maybe I'm biased because I love mine but get a four cylinder Toyota. I use it for for exactly the sort of work you are looking at doing plus carrying the odd thousand pound load to the dump.

Absolutely do not get the v6 though, get an 80's or 90's fuel injected 22-RE. The 22RE with w56 transmission combo is not only utterly reliable but super easy and cheap to do maintenance on. When I bought mine it had 200k miles with only oil changes and the timing chain guides were starting to make noise so I did them, the chain, a new front cover, oil and water pumps, a clutch and a new battery for under $500 in parts and two evenings of work. Parts are available off the shelf everywhere. A whole new exhaust system recently was around a hundred. 85 to 95 are basically all interchangeable with a slightly different frame and body in 89. The four is plenty powerful to get you around town unless you are in a place with 80+mph freeway traffic. A 2wd will get mileage in the low twenties with daily mixed use.

The only failure my truck has had in the 4 years I've had it was my own fault for not noticing the battery was a bit loose, it managed to slip a bit and ground the hot terminal causing a small fire. We put the fire out, replaced the ground wires and it was back to running like normal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bibendum
Sep 5, 2003
nunc est Bibendum
Not only easy to fix but cheap too. My only gripe is that you need to pull a crossmember to get the oilpan all the way out.

And unless you are blazing new trails or taking the hardest path up a hill to show off a two-wheel drive car or truck can go way further than most people take them. Just don't be like me and forget to airdown your tires. I've had tons of fun with RWD Toyota Starlets and a Peugeot 504.

• Locked thread