Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

It's always fascinating how well I can map the Finnish party system into the Swedish party system. The only notable differences are that

- the Sverigedemokraterna are not agrarian in origin like the Finnish Perussuomalaiset (they're originally a splinter of the agrarian party),
- our tiny parties never get more than two percent of the vote,
- the liberals have been gobbled up by our mainstream neoliberal-conservative party,
- and the Centre Party (formerly the Agrarian League!) have a bigger share of the vote and are basically one of a "big three" with the SDs and the neoliberal party.

We even have the Party Formerly Known as the Communist Party.

Oh and you guys don't have a Finnish People's Party :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

As was brought up before though, the shooting more wolves question is a political football in Finland too.

I had to skip over a few questions because I wasn't sure of the issues involved, but I got FI 79%, MP 76%, V 74%, and then in the bottom KD 39%, M 38% and SD 28%. :sweden:

I'd totally vote for a Feministipuolue if we had one.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

Does the Swedish PP even have a consistent agenda besides the one obvious item? The Finnish PP basically lets any candidate run who wants, and the lists are 80% kooks and crazies - mostly libertarians -, 19% joke candidates, and maybe 1% sensible people. This is why they've never had any political representation in any council or parliament ever.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

At least you guys had the social democrats win the racist party wave election! In 2011 we got the conservatives winning the elections on top of it.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

That kind of swing in a recount is unthinkable in an actual first world democracy with no funny business going on. It's simply an artefact of the recount only being completed in some of the districts.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

Postorder Trollet89 posted:

Speaker of Parliament mentioned that the 300.000 foreign votes have not yet been counted at all. That could influence enough to change about 5 seats.

Edit: I doubt F! will be in aswell but I think it will be close than the preliminary results from election night. I'm also pretty sure the block gap will widen by a few seats,

Okay, that's not a recount thing though. I also doubt expat Swedes will be that dramatically different from the makeup of the Swedish voting populace; you'd have to have pretty strong divergence for it to show up as seats. Maybe one seat here or there.

Edit: Unless you do like Finland and assign them all to either the last district they lived in before they moved, or failing that, the Helsinki (Stockholm) district(s).

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

Postorder Trollet89 posted:

A real coup would be to make a deal with SD to fix integration instead of reducing immigration by formal means in order to steamroll the alliance, this is unlikely but would no doubt fix things up really fast.

Even if SD wanted to do this for some reason, this would destroy them politically with their base.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

Finnish politicians figured out how to do the worst of both worlds: they want a Russian nuclear plant! :pseudo:

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

That was back in Kekkoslovakia days; getting two Soviet reactors was necessary to get two Western reactors.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

All this talk of unified public programming and language education is nice and all but there's a snowball's chance in hell of Swedes/Danes/Norwegians learning Finnish when they can vaguely comprehend each other speaking their own languages and faking speech impediments when necessary.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

Alhazred posted:

First of all, 90 percent of asylum seekers reveal their identity to the police on arrival. Second, not revealing your identity is a great way of getting your request denied. In 2009 for example 51 of 337 refugees without ID were granted asylum. And the reason why asylum was granted was because they were women and children and the authorities feared that they would be victims of trafficking if their request was denied.

Tbf it's not necessarily the act of not revealing your identity as much as not revealing your identity might be related to either not having a legal claim for asylum or getting Dublin'd. I.e. if you've already been registered as an asylum seeker in Hungary under your name, you are more likely to use an alias in another EU country to avoid getting shipped back to Hungary. Or you're actually from a country considered safe.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

SplitSoul posted:

Also a Minister of Finance who thinks paper routes can replace full-time employment, an outspoken racist as Minister of Integration, and literally the President of the Confederation of Danish Employers as Minister of Employment.

Heh, at least in Finland the veil only pierces one-way: the Minister for Economy and Employment became the leader of the employers' confederation.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

What if there's a temporary incapacity? Can't the regering determine beforehand who deputizes the statsminister in a situation like that, when it's not an obvious situation where the government's mandate has disappeared and a new election is appropriate regardless?

It's funny if it's just a title. In Finland the constitution expressly allows for there to be a deputy PM. It's probably because things got a little complicated in 1981 when His Majesty Urho, the First of His Name took ill and the PM had to take over as temporary President.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

Reading wikipedia, am I correct in interpreting that there's actually a legal role for a deputy prime minister, but the "vice statsministern" is not actually always automatically the deputy prime minister?

That means the title is more worthless than VPOTUS and that's saying something!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

Thank you, now I can pitch that Hamilton movie I've been working on.

• Locked thread