Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
deputamadre
Nov 29, 2008
Norwegian optimist: "At least we're not Sweden."

Norwegian pessimist: "At this pace we'll end up like Sweden"

edit:

Pimpmust posted:

Convinced of roving bands of 17 year old molestors from Iraq/Afghanistan, that no one were talking about / police hushing up

Forgive a foreigner for asking, but wasn't this literally in the news?

deputamadre fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Jan 30, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deputamadre
Nov 29, 2008

Magical Zero posted:

Hoppas media inser sitt ansvar i dom senaste dagarnas tragedier. Det här är exakt vad som händer när man fokuserar så mycket på allt dåligt med invandring. Man behöver inte rapportera om precis allting, media måste faktiskt ha lite taktkänsla och förståelse. Det är bättre att vara tyst än att underblåsa renodlad fascism.

The problem is that people like her are useful idiots for literal nazis. Can stuff like this be a problem in some suburbs? Possibly. But is it really a problem that needs to be highlighted in a time when fascism is on the rise all over Europe and literal SA-style mobs are rampaging through cities and attacking anyone they deem "foreign looking"? The only thing articles like this accomplish is giving the racists and islamophobes even more ammunition.

One might also say that downplaying and dismissing brutal gender discrimination just because it happens in minority populations ultimately gives racists and islamophobes a lot of ammunition, and people who do that are useful idiots for literal nazis.

deputamadre
Nov 29, 2008

Magical Zero posted:

"Yeah, I think exaggerating and vilifying entire groups based on their religion is a bit worse actually. It's funny how suddenly certain people start caring about the wellbeing of women in the suburbs whenever Islam is brought up. Yet on the subject of spousal abuse in the majority population they have surprisingly little to say, despite it being much more common. I wonder why.

I respect Amineh Kakabaveh and she has every right to speak up, but there is no doubt that her articles are used as fuel for Islamophobia by the far right.

That woman is speaking up about what she sees as a deeply troubling development, and you were literally saying that she shouldn't do so because "nazis".

It's interesting how you mention exaggerating, and at the same time say stuff like "literal SA-style mobs are rampaging through cities and attacking anyone they deem "foreign looking"".
How seriously did you take people who used the term "literal rape mobs" after new years eve by the way?

deputamadre
Nov 29, 2008

Magical Zero posted:

I'm not exaggerating, though? We're talking about large coordinated groups of politically motivated and masked hooligans. They're justifying their violence by claiming that the state has "failed" the people, that a foreign evil is attacking "their women", that the media and police are traitors in league with the Bolshevik- oh sorry, I mean the Muslim agenda. Yeah def no similarities with SA there buddy.
if you can describe a group of hooligans creating havoc on a central station as "literal SA-style mobs are rampaging through cities and attacking anyone they deem "foreign looking", then I take it you have no problems with describing the NYE events as "literal refugee and migrant rape mobs were rampaging through several cities, attacking and sexually molesting any person they deemed a "whore and easy pray"

Just letting you know, you may accuse everyone else of exaggeration or hyperbole but it's just the pot calling the kettle black.

deputamadre
Nov 29, 2008

That blog post cites a source

jonnypeh posted:

Sexual assaults like the ones that took place in Cologne came to Europe with north african immigrants, whether you like to admit it or not.

Though if Swedes have been known to that before the current immigration wave, oh please correct me. I only speak of what I've not experienced in Estonia, having lived only here my whole life.

Well that's where you're wrong! Ethnic Swedish politician confesses that he grabbed a girl's rear end once 15 years ago! Conclusion: "Swedish males only get mad about mass sexual assault because it's foreigners doing it"

Not unlike views expressed by people in this thread.

http://www.aftonbladet.se/debatt/article22095680.ab

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deputamadre
Nov 29, 2008

Captain Scandinaiva posted:

I was refering to freelancemoth's claim that most men from muslim countries (I guess?) treat women like dogs. The blog does indeed have source, and you can check that source for the question where respondents answered whether rights for women were an essential characteristic of democracy on a scale from 1 to 10. The mean for Sweden, Pakistan, Egypt and Iraq was 9.49, 7.86, 7.44 and 6.60, respectively. Even taking into account different interpretations of the wording and the scale in different countries, that's indicative that the differences are real but not that vast.

Regarding "freelancemoth's claim", this passage of the blog is relevant IMO:

quote:

Personer som invandrar till Sverige kommer nästan alltid från mindre jämställda länder, eftersom Sverige enligt gängse mått är ett av de mest jämställda länderna i världen. I World Economic Forums Gender Gap Index 2015 räknades Sverige som det fjärde mest jämställda landet. Syrien, varifrån flest personer sökte asyl under 2015, kom på plats 143 av 145.

Indexet utgår från ett flertal ekonomiska indikatorer, men skillnaderna syns även i attitydundersökningar. I förra vågen av World Values Survey ställde man bland annat frågan om huruvida det var en essentiell del av demokrati att kvinnor har samma rättigheter som män. Man kunde svara på en skala från 1 till 10, där 10 betydde att kvinnor borde ha samma rättigheter.

I Sverige (2011) valde 81 procent alternativ 10. I Egypten (2012) var det 25 procent, och i Irak (2013) var det bara 18 procent. Samma mönster syns även i andra frågor: i Sverige tyckte till exempel bara 8 procent att män var bättre företagsledare än kvinnor. I Egypten var det istället 80 procent.

So you can of course play obtuse and pretend that freelancemoth literally thinks that all muslims/MENA men/whatever literally regard women as literal dogs and ask for his "sources" of studies where MENA men rank women vs dogs or whatever. Or you can accept that the statistics in that blog post corroborate his point - the average MENA native is a bigger misogynist than the average swede.

quote:

Forskarnas slutsats var att anpassningsprocessen tog en generation, mer eller mindre.

I didn't have the time to thoroughly read the study you quote (just skimmed through it), but a couple of things caught my eye:

That study takes into account all kinds of immigrants and their differing attitudes to gender equalities, including the difference equivalent of Italians in France and Slovakians in the UK.

The 90th percentile in the study (D9) represents a difference of .450 (in a range of 0 to 1). The attitude ratio between Sweden and Morocco is 0.590, well within this range.

according to the Gender Inequality Index, Morocco (#117) is more gender equal than Syria (#119), Iraq (#123) and Afghanistan (#152).
Assuming that gender equality attitude mirrors actual gender equality, gender equality attitude in Afghanistan, Iraq and Syria is not better than it is in Morocco, at least not to a point where it would drastically reduce the attitude ratio to <.450

These are the results for the second generation in the D9 group:

quote:

The maximum differential is an odds ratio of 1.5 for women with parents from D9 countries for responses on ‘women should cut back item’. Men with parents from D9 countries have an odds ratio of 1.4 relative to natives for both items.

So, the gender equality attitude of the 2nd generation of the D9 group is not similar to the gender equality attitude of the host population. That blog post's claim is misleading.

Also, keep in mind that:

1) The difference in gender equality attitude of the first generation remains high throughout their life, especially for the men. So you get a large immigrant population with really backwards gender equality views, even if the naturalized 2nd generation's views are more often akin to the views of the majority population.

2) Societal values are not static, and with a big influx of people with more traditional gender views, society as a whole will be influenced by their views, not just the other way around. Sweden's current gender views are not a "default value" that will be returned to once you integrate a population of immigrants.

That study was an interesting read, thanks for sharing.

• Locked thread