Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nagel
Sep 19, 2005

We formed a wall once.
Most articles seem to think that an Alliance split seems highly unlikely, especially since the usual alliance of S with FP and/or C support feels a bit weird, as M is closer to S policies than both FP and C.

My semi-educated guess is a S & MP minority government with silent support of V, and perhaps in certain issues, getting the votes of either C, FP or M, like the Alliance and MP in regards to certain immigration issues. They will be able to govern since the Alliance parties hates SD which will grab some 10% of the vote.

My predictions:
S will probably get some 32-35%, MP 9-12% (if S gets 35 MP will not get 12, and vice versa) while the left gobbles up enough to just make it around 48-49%, FI will get 3-3,9%

The alliance will get tops 40% with KD just managing to get it, I believe that they will be gone by 2018.

I'm more on the left side (voted FI in the Euros) and I like MP but I'm also pro-nuclear which is not at all very popular on the left. I'm also not loyal at all, this will be my seventh election (4 national, two euro so far) and I've never voted for the same party twice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nagel
Sep 19, 2005

We formed a wall once.

Cardiac posted:

FP and C have traditionally collaborated with S, and going back to that is not unlikely, especially if either party changes party leader.
One of the secrets behind the dominance of S (a party that only have had absolute majority once), is that S have bargained with various parties and been able to play them versus one another.

S+MP is pretty likely, however Sjöstedt, the leader of V, have explicitly said that if they are not part of the ruling coalition they will vote against it. Whether this is true when push comes to shove will be interesting to see. The resulting fallout will be hilarious to see.

Pretty much the end result I see as well.
I believe Fi is hosed in the general election, since there are too many crazies in that party. The Euro election have sofar had alternative parties getting a lot of votes, since the number of voters are less and people doesn't care as much. This election was Fi, previous Pirateparty and prior to that Junilistan.

My vote for FI was like a middle finger towards UKIP, Le Pen, Jobbik, SD etc etc, and not specifically because of their policies, which mostly range from pie in the sky to "what?" One MP in the European Parliament is most likely not going to make a whole lot of difference, but 17 MPs in the Riksdag might. Yeah Sjöstedt is playing hardball, I believe that he'll not be in the government, but they will not vote against Löfven and S, is my guess. They will probably accept some Riksdag committee on the privatization issue, in exchange for supporting an S+MP government. Fridolin as education minister, Romson as environmental minister?

Regarding nuclear, FP is 100% for it, M and S are both pro, I believe, but not really willing to admit it, SD I don't know, and the rest are super against, as they can't tell the difference between nuclear weapons and nuclear energy. FP published a debate article in DN( biggest morning newspaper) for the 2010 election, calling for more education options for future nuclear engineers, not sure what their plan is now.

nagel
Sep 19, 2005

We formed a wall once.
Apparently just this week some people from Skåne (the south) were denied to shoot a wolf that have been wandering down there, and they were angry about it. Of course, as a Stockholm suburbanite, they are more directly affected, but come on, we can't just keep killing animals for doing what they do.

What's up with the inbreeding stuff about the nordic wolves? Wasn't that a thing a while back, that we should shoot 'em all cause they were genetically hosed anyway?

Also, libertarians and downloading stuff; this is the country that developed the pirate bay, spotify etc, we love our free internet downloading, we really do!

nagel
Sep 19, 2005

We formed a wall once.
I voted Alliance in 06 and 10, prior to that S and this year I'm not sure yet, except that it will be non-alliance. I kinda want V to have a strong voice, but not strong enough to force the profits in privatization, as it would most likely cause one hell of a mess. I'm in the "regulate and oversee so god drat much that anyone not being genuinely interested in running an A+ service won't be bothered" camp, which I'm not sure that anyone is in, as everyone is talking about it, but no one seems to really know if they really want it, except SD, as they just talk about immigration.

Regarding immigration, I've been around a lot of immigrants since I was 13 years old in school, work and private life, and I'm definitely pro-immigration. It's a shame that most talk about immigration leads to Godwin, as previously mentioned. I understand that the established parties don't want to give SD legitimacy, but we need to talk about improving the immigration system, on account of all the numbers you guys have posted.

The debate is loving silly, at times, where some left wing thinkers get furious when a white male writes as an anti-racist person, as "they can't possibly know what they are talking about" and similar stuff, can't remember the names of the crazies that have this opinion.

I also have my own theory about a lot of SD voters are not racists, but they are globalization victims, either real, perceived by themselves, others or something in between. Are not a lot of SD voters old "gråsossar" that used to work in the industry, and now they do not. They make the connection that 20-30 years ago, life was good, and there were very few immigrants, now life is bad, and there are a lot of immigrants. Therefore immigrants=bad.

Others, like people in my immediate family, see schools that are pure chaos, with a lot of immigrant children in 'em, and draw conclusions from that. And ofc, some are just plain old racists. The party SD seems to be mostly full on racists, some hiding it better than others, but their voters are a mixed bunch, but they all seem to be treated the same, by the media and the left.

nagel
Sep 19, 2005

We formed a wall once.
Yeah I hope I was clear about an absolute majority of their politicians being horrible racists. They all also seem to be so incredibly incompetent, it's baffling. Like their two members of the EP, in the debates they seemed to know nothing about nothing, and a willingness of around zero, to change that. They talk about these horrible immigrants, doing crime and stealing jobs, while it's SD that are committing crimes, like that dude that spent the 90's cracking safes. They are hypocritical, simplifying, incompetent and demonizing.

Didn't MP mention growth criticism in Almedalen or something like that? But it was kinda glossed over. I'm extremely interested in it, and like you say, jobs and growth seem to be the end goal of civilization. They still kind of talk about it in terms of reduced hours. I'm not a guru of international finance and economics, although I know some, and I feel like we should be able to drastically cut worked hours/person, and still be able to feed, clothe and put roofs over our heads. This goes for the entire world, not just Sweden. I have this idea of introducing 6 hours/day in caregiving professions, nurses, doctors, old folks home staff etc. They work really hard, and they break well before Reinfeldt wants you to retire, why not cut their hours, hire 2 people working 6 hours instead of 1 dude working 9. People won't wear down as easily, lowering health care costs long term, as well as giving better care to those that are sick. You can work until you are 65, perhaps, if you worked 30 instead of 40 hours per week. This could be introduced in other sectors, like teaching, but it seems like it would be best utilized in health care.

I kinda feel like the lack of leisure time is partly responsible for our desire to buy new stuff. As our free time is precious and we don't have a lot of it. The quickest way to enjoy it is to buy stuff. And as you said, TheFluff, telemarketers does not add anything of real value to society, it's just an unfortunate side effect of our capitalistic growth-at-all-costs system. There are of course more professions that are completely unnecessary.

6/30 hours is of course totally arbitrary.

nagel
Sep 19, 2005

We formed a wall once.

Postorder Trollet89 posted:

Lena Mellin thinks you're an enemy of democracy if you throw a cake on a politician.

Social Democrats get assasinated, liberals and racists gets a cake thrown at them for their ideals. I bet shes the kind who would ask protestors to calm down after being gunned down by cops.
I hate that fat cow, she is an extremely superficial and untalented political analyst. Fire her and replace her with Daniel Swedin.

I mostly stay away from Aftonbladet and have barely read anything from her, is she usually really crappy? This isn't Lagerlöf or Moberg, but I kinda agree with her. I don't get your comment, "Social Democrats get assasinated, liberals and racists gets a cake thrown at them for their ideals.", Are you saying that it's the same thing, or is she? Where does the murders of Palme and Lindh come into this? Tårtning, to me, is a milder form of intimidation elected officials that seem to be getting more common. I say seem, as I have not seen statistics, and I'm in general skeptical regarding the framing of the media.

nagel
Sep 19, 2005

We formed a wall once.

TheFluff posted:

:psyduck:

This woman's been in the news for the exact same reason several times before. It's a wonder (mp) doesn't kick her out. Reminds me of the almost literal tinfoil hats in Mora who almost got the local cell phone network turned off a few years ago.

Also, Cardiac, congratulations on your new avatar. Someone who followed the Scandinavia thread in LF seems to like you; nils was kind of a local celebrity.

Oh, and I voted today. This thing with voting stations in all kinds of public places really sorta owns, you can just walk in there when you happen to be passing by and take five minutes to get it done.

I love the fact that she's the top name. Really, MP, you couldn't find anyone better?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GT_dGITzzOU
In swedish, and captions aren't available, unfortunately.

nagel
Sep 19, 2005

We formed a wall once.
I'm still torn, MP is the party that talks environment, which could lead to it actually being a policy issue that's given priority, but at the same time they really want to shut down nuclear reactors, which I'm really against. S is most likely pro-nuclear but too afraid to say so openly. If Fp wasn't alliansen and they stopped talking about grades for one second they might be of interest, but as it stands now, I can't vote for them. V is also very anti-nuclear, and apparently so is Fi.

I guess it's Sossarna for me? Anyone got any ideas?

And yeah, SD is a very racist party, it's a hypocritical party, it's a party run by one clever man and a bunch of morons that time and time again gently caress up, yet they still get 10% of the vote. Immigration in itself isn't a problem, but integration or just general globalization/neo-liberalism/capitalism is loving up somewhat, or is it all just framing and then people (including me, I supposed) buying into it like good little simpletons?

nagel
Sep 19, 2005

We formed a wall once.

Xoidanor posted:

They're backwards in general. Their anti-growth stance is nonsensical at best since it's a position they hold without suggesting an alternative, their views on agriculture are actively harmful for the environment, their views on the weapon industry would cost tens of thousands of jobs if realised and their can do attitude to writing policy with simply the right intentions behind them has proven disastrous in the past. See all the legislation they pushed forth in the past that's related to etanol for many prime examples. :psyduck:

Growth is a serious issue, and by bringing up a dissenting opinion on growth as a positive, they are at least talking about the issue, albeit in a very limited fashion. And I don't blame them for not having an alternative, as of yet. How do you present a viable alternative to a system that has permeated the globe for several hundred years, and that is hammered into the public by pretty much every politician and media outlet except for those that also bring up Jewish banking conspiracies and other stuff? Without working for a violent revolution?

In other ways, MP has had some good intentions with not so good results, in my opinion a legacy from their roots, the anti-nuclear movement where they (as all others) confused nuclear energy with nuclear weapons. Even though their record on the environment is far from perfect, it's as if the other parties simply don't care about doing some real work, C and their animal rights, while good, is not enough.

As for nuclear, I don't see how we can replace 40-50% (depending on year) of our electricity, while keeping competitive energy prices for industry, with wind, solar and forest products. Also, I want the forest products to be reserved for gasoline replacement. It's very likely that we can do both, but right now, with legislation acting as an anchor, it's better to focus on one area. Wind and solar are not all that efficient and I don't like how dirty the production of the actual solar and wind plants are. I want me some Thorium reactors, but that is not really realistic, at the moment.

Regarding the risks of nuclear, they are quite exaggerated, our minds have a tendency to inflate the dangers associated with risk types such as nuclear energy. Nuclear is not completely safe, but nothing really is. I see nuclear as something that makes us avoid oil, coal and gas, which is good from several perspectives.

Anyway, I did the SVT valkompass
V 74%
Fi 72%
S 68%
PP 68%
MP 68%
FP 61%
KD 46%
C 44%
M 42%
SD 32%

nagel
Sep 19, 2005

We formed a wall once.

http://www.expressen.se/nyheter/schenker-stoppar-sina-leveranser-till-rinkeby/
Apparently their drivers were attacked

nagel
Sep 19, 2005

We formed a wall once.

Captain Scandinaiva posted:

Hm an unsourced blog. This changes everything.

Seems legit.

Yeah, nuclear is obviously better than coal or gas. But increasing energy effiency (there is a huge potential for this) and using renewable energy where we do need it seems a much better idea, imo. According to Energimyndighetens latest long-term prognosis, our energy consumption will decrease slightly by 2030 and we will probably reach 50% renewable energy production by 2020. That's just given the policies we have today, I think it's fair to assume a greater emphasis on environmental policy could achieve much more than that. Sadly, MP has toned down a lot of their growth critique. Don't want to miss out on all those middle class voters, I suppose.

Meanwhile, I found a pamphlet on my bike today. Islam is the light apparently. I thought about checking how many votes they got last election, but they don't think people should vote since democracy was created by people and not god so welp.

I guess I have some reading to do! Also, never heard of that Islamic party, I kind of want to see SD's reaction.

Where I live, outside Stockholm, I haven't seen SD's valstuga, until a couple of days ago, but it was just a table and some banners. I guess they didn't feel like bothering after the last election, when their valstuga turned upside down after a few days. Literally, upside down. And with a whole lot of swastikas added. Lärarförbundet has set up shop though, and some kind of pensioner's association. MP just has a cargo container, which I kinda like.

nagel
Sep 19, 2005

We formed a wall once.

murphyslaw posted:

I like how the sneering randians get 11% more than the feminists. Keep pure the volksgemeinschaft, Sweden. That'll show those tumblr psychos not to rant and rave about gender equality! You may have to suck job creator cock for 4 more years, but at least you won't get mildly scolded by feminazis. Worth it, I hope.

Social democrats seem to be doing good, though? I heard some handwringing on BBC that they seem poised to lead a coalition government. Does that seem likely to you swedegoons?

They have to, they got some 31% which isn't enough. S and the Greens like each other, and they have talked about running a joint government for a long time, unfortunately, the Greens imploded on election night and didn't even get 7%, so they have to include the Left to get more votes than the right wing Alliance. They could go the other route and split the current alliance and work with the Centre and the Liberals, instead of the Left, but the Alliance has said that it's sticking together, and I personally don't get this, as the Moderates are more left wing than both the Centre and the Liberals, these days. Just by policy, M and S would be more natural, they could agree on a middle ground between their different tax rates and sick leave stuff. I voted Left and want them in the government, so I'm hoping for that.

I read somewhere that The alliance will lay down votes to make sure that SD can't influence the government formation, hopefully that's true.

nagel
Sep 19, 2005

We formed a wall once.

Cardiac posted:

Second: Anyone with an unbiased view on Swedish politics would have seen this result miles away. This little echo chamber is pretty far from reality, which have just been demonstrated by the election.

Didn't most of us here, despite being (seemingly) left leaning, predict over 10% for SD? Didn't a lot of believe that Fi would have a hard time getting into Parliament? Didn't most of us worry about a red-green majority being hard to get? I must admit that I did not see MP doing so poorly, as well as being surprised by the strong finish by the Alliance.

nagel
Sep 19, 2005

We formed a wall once.
Let's not forget not getting bombed to smithereens in neither world war, going into the 50's with an intact infrastructure, while still getting some of that Marshall money. We made the most of it, but still, we had some nice advantages.

nagel
Sep 19, 2005

We formed a wall once.

Xoidanor posted:

There are many parts of your rant that annoy me but this one particular peeves me because it's simply not true. The Finnish that came before the 80's, so integrated that youth like me have entirely lost connection to our heritage. The variety of nationalities that came in the 90's due to the fall of Yugoslavia, almost completely integrated. The iraqis that came during the 2003 war, still somewhat economically disadvantaged but culturally integrated. Integration isn't "insurmountable", far from it, it simply takes some time.

Yeah, and this time is probably really shortened by having a job, meeting "native" Swedes, hanging out with 'em, will make integration smoother and faster, so in a way jobs jobs jobs jobs economy jobs is a good approach. I think this works both ways, both immigrants and natives see that "the other" isn't something scary. I live in an immigrant heavy suburb to Stockholm, and I've worked at McDonald's for almost 14 years. That has been my experience, ofc it's anecdotal, but isn't there research supporting this? Low status jobs like McD is pretty great for integration, in my opinion, it's pretty easy to get in, and you often have a lot of co-workers of different nationalities. Without these immigrants, you wouldn't be able to get a burger at 3 am when you're poo poo faced:)

Could it perhaps be more difficult to integrate this new wave, in parts thanks to SD, as they have changed the landscape, to a more polarized one, thus making people defensive and closed-of?

nagel
Sep 19, 2005

We formed a wall once.

computer parts posted:

Are you going to talk about the Knockout Game next or are you just accidentally cribbing points from Sean Hannity?

Well it did happen, didn't it? I mean, the Husby stuff spread and there were quite a lot of burned cars where I live. Just from statistics on demographics, you could probably say with some certainty that those that did this were "non-natives". But the same statistics will probably say that they were on the bottom of the socio-economic scale. In Sweden (and elsewhere, I guess), these two are often connected, but it's not as if being an immigrant means that you are poor or uneducated for life, it just means that there is a higher probability of that being your starting point. Also, they are probably teenagers and kids, and they are stupid as all hell, even if they are Anton the aryan poster child. Hell we used to fake beatings by the road just to see if someone stopped if they saw 20 young guys beating on 1 guy. And almost all of us were "natives".

I'm rambling a bit, but it's stupid kids, doing stupid stuff, just that this stupid stuff is much more stupid and more dangerous than 20 years ago. Or maybe not, I don't remember stuff like this when I was a kid, but then again, I didn't really follow the news. I'm very doubtful that it's because they are named Osman and Ibrahim instead of Joakim and Fredrik.

catbread.jpg posted:

Stop, the 1930s wants its economics back. You realise that at the margins, increased consumption for its own sake merely consumes hard currency and limited physical resources? Broken window fallacy.
Isn't consumption of hard currency good right now, as inflation is really low, and for construction work, in Sweden, physical resources are really not that scarce are they? It's not like we're replacing windows with diamonds and using copper instead of hardwood floors. Also, would really the massive investment in housing that we need be "at the margins?" Which modern economy theory would do the trick?

nagel fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Sep 17, 2014

nagel
Sep 19, 2005

We formed a wall once.

Baudolino posted:

If you are implying that i do not see them as human you are wrong. They are just one of many groups i dislike based on my personal interaction with them. It`s no different form you disliking SD really. You view them as negative but do not deny their humanity. So it is with me and gigpsies.

But back to the topic of swedish politics. NATO Membership: Will the next goverment want to figth for it or is that a dead duck?

If it's S and MP no way in hell is NATO membership on the agenda. Isn't FP the only party that's pro, with M and KD not really sure?

nagel
Sep 19, 2005

We formed a wall once.

Randarkman posted:

gently caress all you Westerners, Northerners and Southerners, Eastern pride forever! There's great places in Oslo like that roundabout with the flowers where I once got drunk, and the video store in Bjerke and that pizza place that used to have really cheap beers.

How are you defining Oslo as geographically eastern? And cheap beer, is that relative to usual Norwegian prices?:)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nagel
Sep 19, 2005

We formed a wall once.

White Rock posted:

Note that spiked is really rightwing, if that's your kinda thing then i guess yes..

They mention Reinfeldt as some great saver of the nation. They don't mention the huge privatizations in schools/hospitals/elerdy care, humiliating unemployment strategies, useless tax cuts ("dubbel stöten"), sick people getting their benefits cut and increasing inequality. A big part of the nation think Reinfeldt has destroyed much of the welfare we had.

Reinfeldt did privatize some stuff, but it's not like he invented privatization. Good ole Göran did his fair share as well.

• Locked thread