Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
space pope
Apr 5, 2003

Me neither

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rapner
May 7, 2013

It's enough to learn how, though.

tomanton
May 22, 2006

beam me up, tomato
Righto, I said I'd start the season today. The teams we have just happen to be a little awkward for our usual structuring, so I wanted to run by what league structures we had available to us short of suddenly recruiting 3 teams:

A)

Pros: big leagues, easy fluidity. More people get to stay in Serie Goon. This also is how the old league ran out its days.
Cons: Longer season.

B)

Pros: Season lengths we're used to, bigger ladder.
Cons: super-awkward structure, as when even-teamed divisions trail odd-teamed ones their season ends 2 weeks early with nothing for them to do.

C) Find 3 managers somewhere.

Average Lettuce
Oct 22, 2012

While I'd prefer the second one because the seasons will be too long with the first one, having two weeks with nothing to do sucks, so I vote for A.

Subliminal Ninja
Aug 30, 2009
A or C... get the thread title updated with something to get people in. Update the OP with new seasons details and offer some boosts to new managers? Should be able to get at least three warm bodies at worst.

Or if the OP is gone, make a new thread for the new and ongoing seasons?

Rapner
May 7, 2013

You could do the Eiffel tower idea with:

7 - 7
7 - 7

3 serious business leagues with 4 loving mess divisions in 2 tiers.

shoplifter
May 23, 2001

bored before I even began
I vote A, at least that way we don't have odd numbers of teams.

plainswalker75
Feb 22, 2003

Pigs are smarter than Bears, but they can't ride motorcycles
Hair Elf

shoplifter posted:

I vote A, at least that way we don't have odd numbers of teams.

Yeah, this.

ChrisXP
Nov 25, 2004

"In football, time and space are the same thing."
But at least 14 managers look to have given up, so whats the point including their teams?
Take them out and it leaves us with 32, 4 divisions of 8

Average Lettuce
Oct 22, 2012

ChrisXP posted:

But at least 14 managers look to have given up, so whats the point including their teams?
Take them out and it leaves us with 32, 4 divisions of 8

I like this option.

shoplifter
May 23, 2001

or that

Rapner
May 7, 2013

I concur.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

This was advertised in the FM15 thread, and I'm interested in joining.

Subliminal Ninja
Aug 30, 2009

Sub Rosa posted:

This was advertised in the FM15 thread, and I'm interested in joining.

One of us, one of us, one of us....

Jump on the links in the OP. Apply for an existing vacant team or request a new team. Ask any questions you may have and we'll try and get you up to speed!

Subliminal Ninja fucked around with this message at 16:29 on May 1, 2015

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Applied to take over :420:FC Purple Haze:420:

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Welcome Sub Rosa!

Can someone please post that roundup of season-end statistics that VIP members get? Most expensive teams, etc.

Rapner
May 7, 2013

Player stats

BigStu
Apr 16, 2011
Hi guys,

Just joined. Team name is Rosalinda FC

Rapner
May 7, 2013

Serie Goon

I'll do more of these when my back pain settles the gently caress down.

Rapner fucked around with this message at 10:45 on May 2, 2015

Rapner
May 7, 2013

BigStu posted:

Hi guys,

Just joined. Team name is Rosalinda FC

Welcome!

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Thanks for posting the stats guys.

Rapner
May 7, 2013

Serious Business A

Serious Business B

Rapner fucked around with this message at 10:44 on May 2, 2015

tomanton
May 22, 2006

beam me up, tomato
Fantastic, thank you to those recruiting - we've got some new teams, and with one more we can start the season in the B bracket without any numbers disadvantages. New teams have been given boosts to help grant them a better start, they need them.

Just to explain it since it's explained nowhere at all in the rules, I don't have any direct control over what numbers per division are created - I have 3 variables to fiddle with (two for non-VIP) and it then spits out the structure that meets those specifications.

Larger-teamed divisions will always go above small ones. Odd:even is especially a bitch because X11 seasons are run so that every team plays another team or has a bye. If a ladder is Even:Odd the even divisions will have no bye and the odd divisions will have one; if it's odd:even the odds will have one and the evens will have like four.

Also some digging in the system menu shows that I can protect teams from being inactivated, which will be nice once we find a really comfortable league structure. For now just one more team and I can hopefully hit the season creation button to take effect Monday.

Rapner
May 7, 2013

We keep getting numbers in the 2nd league, so I'm kicking it off. People already play in multiple leagues, so I don't think it'll conflict with the main one.

Edit: Join link is http://www.xperteleven.com/?lid=364187 if anyone else wants to pop in.

Rapner fucked around with this message at 05:10 on May 3, 2015

Rapner
May 7, 2013

I've started an LP for this season, here - http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3717689

TKBomber7285
Feb 20, 2011
This should be fun as I see that I have taken over Bara Latch from your division. Hopefully we won't get destroyed by too much when we play your team on match day 3.

How much do you guys recommend that I invest weekly into the youth academy? I would figure that as long as I can afford it putting the most money possible would be a smart decision but not knowing how much the market values players I wanted to make sure that I get the most out of my money.

TKBomber7285 fucked around with this message at 16:29 on May 3, 2015

FebrezeNinja
Nov 22, 2007

If you're willing to search the transfer market for players then very little. I pay max and have a five-star rating but it hasn't paid off in a long time now. My offseason youth is a 20/4 (age/skill).

I haven't read the op in forever so I may be repeating it but young players are expected to rise a bit more than 1 skill per year. The line through 18/6 is the great stuff but expensive to buy on the market, 18/5 is good and costs less. Bolster up any holes with cheap age 30 or so players.

The Sweet Hereafter
Jan 11, 2010
Quick question - if you promise a certain amount in your match win bonus, then spend all your money, will it cancel the win bonus or send you into negative econ if you win? I'm curious because the econ total doesn't refresh unless you refresh your screen so I've accidentally done this.

e: Actually it looks like it doesn't matter - I thought the first game was tomorrow but it's actually Thursday. Still curious though!

The Sweet Hereafter fucked around with this message at 20:19 on May 3, 2015

bucketybuck
Apr 8, 2012

TKBomber7285 posted:

This should be fun as I see that I have taken over Bara Latch from your division. Hopefully we won't get destroyed by too much when we play your team on match day 3.

How much do you guys recommend that I invest weekly into the youth academy? I would figure that as long as I can afford it putting the most money possible would be a smart decision but not knowing how much the market values players I wanted to make sure that I get the most out of my money.

As a new team I would not be looking to the youth academy, it just isn't an efficient way to spend your money. You need a number of players, not just the one quality youth that you MIGHT get, but probably won't. The youth academy is really best for established teams that can afford to wait, and for whom a good youth is a bonus but not vital to their plans.

If you are going to invest, 100,000 a week is the minimum that still gives a chance of getting a good youth, below that the odds are that you will never get anything worthwhile. 200000 and 300000 p/w investments should in theory bring higher rewards, but thats a lot of cash to see disappear every week, cash that you could easily spend on 5/6 suitable players on the transfer market.

plainswalker75
Feb 22, 2003

Pigs are smarter than Bears, but they can't ride motorcycles
Hair Elf

The Sweet Hereafter posted:

Quick question - if you promise a certain amount in your match win bonus, then spend all your money, will it cancel the win bonus or send you into negative econ if you win? I'm curious because the econ total doesn't refresh unless you refresh your screen so I've accidentally done this.

e: Actually it looks like it doesn't matter - I thought the first game was tomorrow but it's actually Thursday. Still curious though!

You can't go into negative econ, but I'm not actually sure what happens to the actual bonus; I assume it'd cancel out when it dipped below the lowest choice, but I don't really know.

shoplifter
May 23, 2001

If I remember it just takes what you had. I assume it prorates the skill bonus appropriately.

Rapner
May 7, 2013

shoplifter posted:

If I remember it just takes what you had. I assume it prorates the skill bonus appropriately.

I wouldn't assume anything quite so sophisticated for this game.

shoplifter
May 23, 2001

Well, there's that possibility. I'm pretty sure it does just take your available balance though.

ChrisXP
Nov 25, 2004

"In football, time and space are the same thing."
It is definitely possible to go into negative balance - I know because I've done it. I can't remember specifically how though, perhaps a combination of win bonus and transfer offers...?

Unless you know exactly what you are doing, save your money and don't spend it on youth academy. The stats seem to say that it only increases the chances of getting a very good player very slightly - really it reduces the amount of worthless players you get from it. There is nothing wrong with picking 17/3 or 18/4 players from the market for peanuts and developing them instead unless you are at the top level. Combine that with buying a few good value veterans and you can be quite competitive

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
I'll be taking over the Blue Shift, as it seems to be the only available club.

I'll also be pulling a Dons and moving them to Wrexham. Obviously.

bucketybuck
Apr 8, 2012
Was a decision made about whether this league continues past season 20 or not?

If that is even a possibility I think it should be clearly stated, as it has some massive implications for squad building decisions. I think ending after S20 would be a very bad decision, but whatever the choice now is the time to make it.

Subliminal Ninja
Aug 30, 2009

bucketybuck posted:

Was a decision made about whether this league continues past season 20 or not?

If that is even a possibility I think it should be clearly stated, as it has some massive implications for squad building decisions. I think ending after S20 would be a very bad decision, but whatever the choice now is the time to make it.

I like the idea of running it until it breaks. If people really want to blow it all up and start again then make a new team and boost it or sell all your players and get youths?

Rapner
May 7, 2013

Next time it starts to fizzle out would be a good time to restart. The prospect of a blank slate brings in new people who might be scared off.

Zanziabar
Oct 31, 2010
Possibly throwing myself in the deep end by taking over Minestrone Men FC. Let's see how this horrible trainwreck goes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rapner
May 7, 2013

Zanziabar posted:

Possibly throwing myself in the deep end by taking over Minestrone Men FC. Let's see how this horrible trainwreck goes.

I appreciate the pasta puns.

• Locked thread