Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Poulpe posted:

I wouldn't be shocked at all if the running scene was a scripted chase of some kind. Or maybe the game will take place in a full palace instead of just a mansion this time, who knows? :v:

I'd like to give it a chance, god knows the WiiU is perfectly suited for it if they're clever about it.

Like you have to pan the WiiU tablet around your actual living room, and take a picture of the ghost that appears on the screen. That would be badass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

RickVoid posted:

Like you have to pan the WiiU tablet around your actual living room, and take a picture of the ghost that appears on the screen. That would be badass.
Sounds like you might be interested in Spirit Camera then: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVexT96KtKA

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
Considering what the Wii U gamepad is, it seems like the Fatal Frame series was waiting for this controller to exist and didn't even know it. I can't think of a better way to control a camera based game than with a camera controller.

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006
Canadian Santa Extraordinaire

RickVoid posted:

I don't like the idea of standing up and spinning around with some augmented reality effect, moreso having the protag's view when you go into "camera mode" and giving you a maybe 140 degree rotation potential, meaning if you want to chase the ghost or reposition yourself you have to return to "exploration mode."

Suspicious Cook posted:

Considering what the Wii U gamepad is, it seems like the Fatal Frame series was waiting for this controller to exist and didn't even know it. I can't think of a better way to control a camera based game than with a camera controller.
Seriously, this time not only is it best to let the ghost get as close as possible to attacking the protag, it's going to be best to let it get as close as possible to attacking your literal face

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
This sound amazing till Nintendo has another 'wii remote through the tv' warranty crisis.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

So I don't want to leave you guys hanging too long with these chapters split and I know you all are worried about Madoka, so let's find that mask and see if we can't save our friend.

Also a couple of quick things; first I want to apologize if my commentary seems a bit scattershot in the video, I think I did the first part and the second part like a month apart and I kinda lost the groove I had going (though I don't think it's too much of an issue) and secondly in regards to the phone calls we get in the game. Sadly they are pumped through only the Wii-mote and as such I've found no way to stop them from coming out there or any real means of recording it without it sounding like garbage (i.e. holding my mic up to the Wii-mote speaker). So hopefully it doesn't deter from the situation too much, but if anyone has some ideas as to how to fix this then I'm all ears.

Finally, and it's not super important, but did anyone initially miss this thread or the videos cause I was using the Japanese title of the game? I feel like after I changed the thread title that people stopped missing the thread and I'm wondering if I should do the same for the videos.

discworld is all I read fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Aug 19, 2014

Sanguinary Novel
Jan 27, 2009
The people of Rougetsu Island seem waaaay too excited to have people come visit. Like in the pamphlet "Tell your friends about this awesome place!"

This is a tourist trap in the most literal sense, isn't it?

Also:

Just take the book already!

Sanguinary Novel fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Aug 19, 2014

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006
Canadian Santa Extraordinaire

Niggurath posted:

Finally, and it's not super important, but did anyone initially miss this thread or the videos cause I was using the Japanese title of the game? I feel like after I changed the thread title that people stopped missing the thread and I'm wondering if I should do the same for the videos.

Honestly, the first time I saw the thread I read "Zero: Japanjapan ja panja" before I went "Wait.. Zero is Fatal Frame right?"
I think you'd be better off with "Fatal Frame 4."

Mercurial
Mar 28, 2006

Elixirs are expensive, you know.
The automatic lock-on and the fact that the filament now points left or right or backwards both seem to trivialize fighting the ghosts so far. Does using the Wii-mote really make it tough enough so that those things were necessary to put in?

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Mercurial posted:

The automatic lock-on and the fact that the filament now points left or right or backwards both seem to trivialize fighting the ghosts so far. Does using the Wii-mote really make it tough enough so that those things were necessary to put in?
Well I think that fight with the male ghost patient in white is kind of indicative of how difficult the fights can be. Fatal Frame 4 really punishes you if you're relying on the Type 7 film and not going for fatal frames, more so than the other games in the series. And we're not totally done with new combat aspects of the game and we'll see that the lock-on isn't always going to be there.

D_W
Nov 12, 2013

Maybe I missed something or am remembering things wrong, but she came to the island by herself and of her own choosing, right? Why did she decide to wear a low cut (but adorable) spring dress and high heels? It's pretty minor but it kind of takes me out of the atmosphere.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
Welp, our primary reason for being here is dead, our objective failed. Time to get the gently caress out and alert authorities that the place probably needs to be cleansed. With Fire.

...Oh who am I kidding, she's going to either wander around without a clue of why she's staying here or magic ghost powers are keeping her from leaving.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

D_W posted:

Maybe I missed something or am remembering things wrong, but she came to the island by herself and of her own choosing, right? Why did she decide to wear a low cut (but adorable) spring dress and high heels? It's pretty minor but it kind of takes me out of the atmosphere.

If she were investigating the mysteries of this island in jeans and a t-shirt she wouldn't be nearly as pleasant to look at, obviously :rolleyes:

Perlia
May 14, 2013

D_W posted:

:japan:

Actually, the characters were designed with the mobile camera view in mind and felt that they needed the details to make the game feel more animated (like how her sleeves flutter), and because you stare at the character's back a lot. Heck, even Madoka's blouse had flowery embroidery over it. There's a stunning amount of detail in the three girls' outfits that unfortunately, the game's atmosphere will mostly mask over.

Also, the image color of this game is yellow, which would apparently only make sense as a dress. The fact that she wears this color will help in the flashbacks to distinguish her from the other girls as well.

For another example of the detail, in the Wii Remake of Crimson Butterfly, which uses the same camera system as FF4, you can see the frills and lace-up detail added to Mio and Mayu's redesigned outfits. With um, more fanservice. Thanks Tecmo.

Drakli
Jan 28, 2004
Goblin-Friend
Poor Madoka.

I'll admit, in feeling sympathy for the protagonists, I was looking at the ghosts gathering around hapless Madoka at the end of the intro chapter as a bunch of jerks more than fearing of them. Madoka looked like some little kid about to get bullied on the playground.

Sheesh, even evil ghosts should have standards.

Incidentally, I saw a doll on a shelf in the kleptomaniac-hoarder ghost boy's room. Was that an ordinary doll, not one of the collectible cursed dolls of which you've been snapping shots?

Also... could you show us the ghost list at some point, please? I'm kind of a sucker for bestiaries and opponent lists and the like.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Drakli posted:

Poor Madoka.

I'll admit, in feeling sympathy for the protagonists, I was looking at the ghosts gathering around hapless Madoka at the end of the intro chapter as a bunch of jerks more than fearing of them. Madoka looked like some little kid about to get bullied on the playground.

Sheesh, even evil ghosts should have standards.

Incidentally, I saw a doll on a shelf in the kleptomaniac-hoarder ghost boy's room. Was that an ordinary doll, not one of the collectible cursed dolls of which you've been snapping shots?

Also... could you show us the ghost list at some point, please? I'm kind of a sucker for bestiaries and opponent lists and the like.
Yeah, I can show the super long ghost list at some point in the future and in regards to missing dolls....I don't exactly miss them but we will be revisiting some areas and I try to space them out so it's not just room after room of spooky.jpg.

Flat Banana
Jun 7, 2008

The tape doesn't seem to know whether it wants to be magnetic tape or a NES cartridge.

Also, I think the under-the-bed-boy ghost scare was botched because of the poor jumpcut from the "reach out" animation. You know it's already coming it's a just a matter of when, and the jumpcut just signalled it.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Flat Banana posted:

The tape doesn't seem to know whether it wants to be magnetic tape or a NES cartridge.

I know it's been a while since any of us last saw one, but that's a cassette player. The tape is inside.

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011
Oh hey, Fatal Frame!

That decision to make picking up items require you to hold down the button is freaking weird. And disappointing since it will almost certainly only serve as setups for a ghosthand to grab your wrist suddenly. At least it's not as bad as what I first thought they did when I saw the popup, which was that you actually had to move the wiimote to move her hand. Because I would love to have the same great gameplay I get from picking up my keys in a video game, especially with motion controls. So I'm glad it's not that at least!

From that single picture of the FF2 remake though, maybe I'll get some flak for this, but I'm not really seeing the fanservice. I guess I just don't find the very top of a girl's back and her shoulderblades attractive? I mean maybe the rest of the game presents it more but in that one picture I don't really see it. I dunno, maybe I'm naive and missing it.

Dual Monarchy
Feb 20, 2013
Yay! Another Niggurath Fatal Frame LP! :neckbeard: I've been curious for a while about how you'd tackle this one.
Depressing and kinda gross to hear what the developers had to say about their characters, ugh. At least they're not making the next one in the series, right? (Wasn't there one announced recently that Tecmo-KOEI are working on themselves again, instead of outsourcing?)
I don't have as much to contribute bar I agree that this feels a lot more of a modern horror, compared to 1-3 exploring Meiji Restoration-ish homes, villages and manors. Not sure if I like the vibe in this environment as much, it's somehow not as forbidding as ruined 1800s buildings barely held together with ectoplasmic hate over where more macabre rituals took place.

And yeah, that whole reach-out mechanic looks like just an invitation for jumpscares, much more than opening the doors in the previous games.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Shoeless posted:

Oh hey, Fatal Frame!

That decision to make picking up items require you to hold down the button is freaking weird. And disappointing since it will almost certainly only serve as setups for a ghosthand to grab your wrist suddenly. At least it's not as bad as what I first thought they did when I saw the popup, which was that you actually had to move the wiimote to move her hand. Because I would love to have the same great gameplay I get from picking up my keys in a video game, especially with motion controls. So I'm glad it's not that at least!

From that single picture of the FF2 remake though, maybe I'll get some flak for this, but I'm not really seeing the fanservice. I guess I just don't find the very top of a girl's back and her shoulderblades attractive? I mean maybe the rest of the game presents it more but in that one picture I don't really see it. I dunno, maybe I'm naive and missing it.
Eh, without going too far into it, it's not just the exposed back that is the problem. It was the decision to make them visually older and more developed (while I think keeping their age the same) that left it feeling a bit skeezy. There wasn't a great need, plot wise anyway, to make them appear older and with more cleavage. It was just done by the developers of the remake cause it looked more pleasing to them.

Also there was one outfit in particular that was super questionable....but I don't know. I don't want to get too bogged down in Fatal Frame 2 Wii talk.

Dual Monarchy posted:

Yay! Another Niggurath Fatal Frame LP! :neckbeard: I've been curious for a while about how you'd tackle this one.
Depressing and kinda gross to hear what the developers had to say about their characters, ugh. At least they're not making the next one in the series, right? (Wasn't there one announced recently that Tecmo-KOEI are working on themselves again, instead of outsourcing?)
I don't have as much to contribute bar I agree that this feels a lot more of a modern horror, compared to 1-3 exploring Meiji Restoration-ish homes, villages and manors. Not sure if I like the vibe in this environment as much, it's somehow not as forbidding as ruined 1800s buildings barely held together with ectoplasmic hate over where more macabre rituals took place.

And yeah, that whole reach-out mechanic looks like just an invitation for jumpscares, much more than opening the doors in the previous games.
Yeah, Fatal Frame 5 has been announced with the Wii-U and seems like it might be coming out fairly soon in Japan. But I question pretty greatly if we'll see it localized, though I guess that depends on the demand (or how much the Wii-U's library is still suffering).

In regards to the setting, I guess it's good to point out that there will be about three different settings on the island that we'll be visiting over the course of the game and some of those settings will feel a lot more similar to other Fatal Frame games. This initial setting is just supposed to be a pleasing entrance for tourists and visitors, the real horrors lay behind the scenes.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Niggurath posted:

This initial setting is just supposed to be a pleasing entrance for tourists and visitors, the real horrors lay behind the scenes.
This place held anime conventions?

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

Niggurath posted:

Eh, without going too far into it, it's not just the exposed back that is the problem. It was the decision to make them visually older and more developed (while I think keeping their age the same) that left it feeling a bit skeezy. There wasn't a great need, plot wise anyway, to make them appear older and with more cleavage. It was just done by the developers of the remake cause it looked more pleasing to them.

Also there was one outfit in particular that was super questionable....but I don't know. I don't want to get too bogged down in Fatal Frame 2 Wii talk.

Okay, yeah, there's no excuse for that outfit. And the picture you posted doesn't really show that one of them is rather developed. Though I honestly don't think they look any older, as far as faces go. But then I'm poo poo at facial features and misjudge ages a lot so that's probably just me. Anyway... Video games! Ghosts! Spooks! Poltergeists! Can't wait to see more, Niggurath. :cheers:

Perlia
May 14, 2013

Shoeless posted:

Nah, I was mumbling off there, since I don't like the aesthetic of Deep Crimson Butterfly at all. I will keep to Nigguraths's wishes of not bogging down this thread, right after I mention that there is a pair of obtainable costumes just as bad as those bikinis.

Kacie
Nov 11, 2010

Imagining a Brave New World
Ramrod XTreme

quote:

I'm pretty bad at seeing new game threads, so take this with some salt - but I did see "Fatal Frame 4" and that made me sit up and take note. I could have just missed the Japanese title.

Looking forward to more creeping horror and last-second flash shots!

yamiaainferno
Jun 30, 2013

Drakenel posted:

Welp, our primary reason for being here is dead, our objective failed.

I seem to remember us looking for two friends, not one. We don't know for sure the other girl is dead yet! :downs:

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
I'm glad to hear that the game apparently gets better about this as it goes on, because I just watched the second video and I couldn't help thinking that so many of the scares would be much more effective if they were slowed down a bit and went without the SUDDEN SCARY THING musical cue. Sort of like in Kairo for example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-rzdcZVJQEI

(My favourite scene in my favourite movie, there.)

Anyway it feels passe to even be saying that jump scares are passe... and yet here we are. There's been a few parts of the game so far that were almost really scary - just mishandled a bit. The overall atmosphere seems good though. It's been a while since I watched the LPs of the other games, but I remember those being good about that too.

Edit:

Niggurath posted:

Now that you mention it, I did skim past the thread a few times before you renamed it, because I had forgotten that "Zero (etc)" was Fatal Frame's original name. I think I assumed it was yet another JRPG LP. :shobon:

Antistar01 fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Aug 22, 2014

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Oh hey, loss of sense of self. That's some good horror poo poo.

Anyway, now that blue crystals upgrade the camera and I guess red crystals upgrade lenses?

Is there anything that points are actually good for? You're getting like 5000 per ghost, but what do you spend them on?

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

:coffee:
Regarding the creepy phone calls, in other games that use the remote speaker you could go into the wii remote menu (press the home key, then click on the remote in the lower corner) and lower the volume to zero. Then it'd play the sound through your tv.

This works on games like no more heroes at least, I don't know if it works in all games.

Perlia
May 14, 2013

Glazius posted:

Anyway, now that blue crystals upgrade the camera and I guess red crystals upgrade lenses?

Is there anything that points are actually good for? You're getting like 5000 per ghost, but what do you spend them on?

You spend points on film and healing items from the lantern/save point shop, since as Niggurath pointed out, they're much scarcer to find in this game than the others.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Glazius posted:

This is the primary usage for points; buying extra supplies that will probably never really be useful. I guess it might be nice to have a surplus of herbal medicines and Type-61 film, but it's rarely necessary and that's pretty much why I usually end up with maxed out points by the end of the game. It was a weird mechanic to change honestly....especially with the huge amount of points you get per battle and the massive amount of bonuses they give.

Like seriously, this isn't even all of the bonuses you can get at once; this is pretty much the usual.

Zom Aur posted:

Regarding the creepy phone calls, in other games that use the remote speaker you could go into the wii remote menu (press the home key, then click on the remote in the lower corner) and lower the volume to zero. Then it'd play the sound through your tv.

This works on games like no more heroes at least, I don't know if it works in all games.
I'm wanting to say I tried doing that but I can double check to see if this might work. But I'm not too worried about the phone calls in the end, they don't add that much.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

What in gods name did you do to get that avatar?

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

Drakenel posted:

What in gods name did you do to get that avatar?

It should be obvious. He overloaded on oppai. There's an Occulus Rack joke in there somewhere too.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

I'm not sure what it says about my mind, but it took me maximizing the screenshot and actually looking at it for a second before I went "ooooh, it's just a picture of a ghost hiding its face and NOT a picture of someone's junk".

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

Suspicious Cook posted:

It should be obvious. He overloaded on oppai. There's an Occulus Rack joke in there somewhere too.

I suppose I should be happy I don't understand any of that.

Perlia
May 14, 2013
I will say that I liked Fatal Frame 3's mechanic of "the herbal medicines and Type 14 films will respawn in some spots every night", and even then it became a more difficult thing to rely on later in the game due to the miasma and needing to manage your exploration of the Manor of Sleep more efficiently. The Lantern Shop kinda takes away from the experience, I guess.

Also... funny that you mention loading up on type 61 film through the shop, Niggurath. I totally did not do that for one certain battle... totally.

ComicsandSlushies
Feb 22, 2013
Yay a LP of the one Fatal Frame game I'll probably never be able to play! The game looks good so far but I gotta agree with everyone else in that the grabbing mechanic really looks like it was just tacked on for cheap jump scares.

and poor Madoka, we're probably not gonna do the sensible thing and get off the island then return with the cops or something are we?

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Continuing in a similar fashion from Fatal Frame 3, we now find ourselves in control of another character as we proceed into chapter 2. In this chapter we'll be following along with Misaki as she wakes from her stupor in a familiar part of the island in search of Madoka (though we know from the previous chapter that there's a bit of an issue with that). We also see a few other game play similarities to Fatal Frame 3 as well, but for now let's see what secrets Misaki can unlock as she proceeds through the halls.

Also I really enjoyed this interpretation of Misaki by Jessica V. (https://twitter.com/JunkerV) :

discworld is all I read fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Aug 25, 2014

Dual Monarchy
Feb 20, 2013
:stare: Well then, it seems the more bloodthirsty staking handmaidens of Fatal Frame 3 have some utterly bonkers competition. Holy poo poo, poor Madoka.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perlia
May 14, 2013
Woohoo, we get our first visit from one of the most speculated-upon, loved-to-be-hated ghosts in the game! With a pretty neat design, I might add.

Also, for some foregone foreshadowing: When you check the intercom for the second time and you only hear static, the writing next to the light has a somewhat legible name compared to the other nametags.

In the game's original language (insert moonspeak joke here), you would recognize it from the room list: 亞夜子, or Ayako. The kanji used in her name is pretty unique, and she also does not have a family name recorded despite being referred to the hospital.

Another thing of interest is that particular nurse that you fight who "tricked" us into that room. Perhaps it was not so much of a trick as a warning?

Since we're not gonna get any more info on her now (her "record" is simply the 2nd Floor Nurse Reports), I'll give the details on her from the ghost list and the wiki. Her name is Fuyuko Shiratsuki, the nurse in charge of the 2nd Floor Ward. That vanishing ghost of Ayako dragging away a nurse is indeed her, and she notably has injuries on her face when you fight her.

Somehow, this surnameless girl can get off lightly despite these acts of cruelty. More mysteries!

• Locked thread