Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

I wonder if it means Ayako was related to someone important on the island - enough to have her surname removed to prevent embarrassed and to keep the staff from punishing her too severely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

Perlia posted:

Interesting Ayako info
Yeah, you bring up what could be considered both a strength and a weakness in regards to the story telling in Fatal Frame 4. We've seen the nurse quite a bit prior to this chapter and there has to have been some reason, which is mostly revealed here....but it ends up being that she's not the important one. Instead her being the victim of Ayako is where her importance came into factor, and that's where it falls apart for me. She's mostly an unnamed victim (who as you point out is only named in the ghost list) who could be easily forgotten with any of the future nurses we'll be running into; we will get a little bit more information on her in the future but in all reality her story ending is being pulled to Ayako's room. And though we could possibly infer more of her inevitable end from the appearance of her ghost, we don't really have much of a reason to care when we're greeted with a much more unique and hostile ghost in Ayako.

I don't know, it's weird that it seems like they wanted to give more personality to these generic ghosts but they got distracted half way there, and we just get greeted with four different nurse ghosts or five different 'patient' ghosts.

Robindaybird posted:

I wonder if it means Ayako was related to someone important on the island - enough to have her surname removed to prevent embarrassed and to keep the staff from punishing her too severely.
There are a lot of mysteries waiting for us on the island and Ayako's story is definitely one that winds it's way throughout the story in the future.

Perlia
May 14, 2013

Niggurath posted:

Very valid game development criticism of the (dead) people variety.

Yeah, the character development in this game is much weaker than the previous installments. What makes Fatal Frame good, in my opinion, is the effects of the atmosphere from both physical and psychological sources. I love collecting the diaries and journals and stuff, especially as reward from knocking the... exposure out of ghosts. This game makes it a chore, because they're laid around most of the time for that annoying hand mechanic and they're not as cohesive in what's going on. Don't get me wrong, there are good characters, and the antagonists of this game are pretty complex. But there's a large amount of "filler" ghosts. I don't know what exactly happened in develop but this game feels definitely not as polished, rushed even... This is probably not the last time this issue will come up too.

The good news though is that I think I'll take it upon myself to fill in the blanks for these ghosts from the wiki, along with some stuff about the important ghosts too, like Ayako.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

I just realised the dragged out doorknob fondling is there to mask the loading times. Slowly opening doors - saving survival horror since 1989.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Do people in Japan ever wear clothes as fancy as the fatal frame protagonists, or is it entirely an art direction thing?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I was kind of expecting that mirror you grabbed the key in front of to go totally crazy, given the things we've seen about people not recognizing themselves in mirrors. I suppose they're going to let this place just be creepy and run-down for a few more chapters.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

SelenicMartian posted:

I just realised the dragged out doorknob fondling is there to mask the loading times. Slowly opening doors - saving survival horror since 1989.
Yeah, there's a pretty well known bug in the game where sometimes the loading doesn't occur and you'll just open a door straight into a solid wall....except you're not able to close the door and just attempting to walk away from it won't unload the door, so you'll just be stuck until you reload the game. There's a couple times though in my videos where you'll see a small portion of loading after walking through doors, but thankfully I haven't ran into that issue yet.

Red Bones posted:

Do people in Japan ever wear clothes as fancy as the fatal frame protagonists, or is it entirely an art direction thing?
It's probably a combination of both; I think someone pointed out earlier they wanted to show off a physics engine via fabrics (and I suppose boob physics) so I think they purposely gave the ladies frilly clothes. But I don't think any of the fashions are super absurd, at least not anymore than capris and a tube top. It's probably just the first time we've seen a Fatal Frame protagonist in a skirt?

Glazius posted:

I was kind of expecting that mirror you grabbed the key in front of to go totally crazy, given the things we've seen about people not recognizing themselves in mirrors. I suppose they're going to let this place just be creepy and run-down for a few more chapters.
The game is pretty much going to be creepy and rundown forever, but I do promise that the next video will take place in a different location.

Also hopefully within a couple of chapters I'll have enough blue stones to upgrade my camera a bit...cause the RNG is definitely loving me over in that regard.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Who would have suspected that there was seedy activity going on at Massacre Scared Face Island? I can only assume that's what Rougetsu translates as.

Sosogomi
Jun 1, 2011
I haven't seen it yet, but this guy is voiced by Katsuyuki Konishi! So I'm kinda excited about him. Can't wait to see the awesomeness after my L5R game.

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
There was no audio for that phone call in the video; not sure if it was intentional, since I remember you mentioned that those come through the wiimote.

It's interesting to see a male player character in a Fatal Frame game; it seemed like female protagonists were their thing. As soon as I saw that, I was curious to see how they would handle his movement speed, since the female characters all seem to move quite slowly, like their knees are tied together. Sort of in a "girly" way that seems typical of certain Japanese media, I mean.

Turns out he just sort of ambles along, I guess?

yamiaainferno
Jun 30, 2013

Antistar01 posted:

It's interesting to see a male player character in a Fatal Frame game; it seemed like female protagonists were their thing.

Kei was a male PC in Fatal Frame 3.

As for this game though, I'm... really not liking how I feel about this. It seems at this point like they're just throwing in new characters for no reason other than "it worked in the last game". Not to mention that there is absolutely no reason for this stupid flashlight thing, other than to shoehorn in even more Wii controls. The game was already being heavy handed with that, but throwing in something this stupid is just over the line.

You can tell that it's a new team. They're trying to copy the previous Fatal Frame games but have no idea what made them great and it's just...dumb.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

yamiaainferno posted:

You also play as Mafuyu in the intro chapter of FF1.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

yamiaainferno posted:

As for this game though, I'm... really not liking how I feel about this. It seems at this point like they're just throwing in new characters for no reason other than "it worked in the last game". Not to mention that there is absolutely no reason for this stupid flashlight thing, other than to shoehorn in even more Wii controls. The game was already being heavy handed with that, but throwing in something this stupid is just over the line.

You can tell that it's a new team. They're trying to copy the previous Fatal Frame games but have no idea what made them great and it's just...dumb.

I like the expansion into new ghost murking items in this universe. Every region should have their own superstitions and that they are all true is magical.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

A magical picture taking ghost damaging flashlight is too dumb :geno:. I mean, did we still need Wii control gimmicks in games by 2008? I guess we did

I think the core of this game still seems fine though, I've got an urge to play it myself at least!

Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

That's the way the bee bumbles.
I think I kind of like the idea of the flashlight. I mean, how much do we know about the cameras obscura? How do they work? What makes them capable of capturing photos of ghosts, and driving spirits away? If we assume it's the film, the flashlight makes no sense, but if it's the flashbulb, then the flashlight seems like a natural extension of the concept. Something about the light filtering through a moonstone lens allows the light to interact with the metaphysical ghost stuff, and THAT makes the ghosts vulnerable to interaction. The flash bounces off the ghost(?), and through the lens allowing the film to capture the image, or something. This is a more direct idea, where the light shines straight through the lens, into the ghost, and hypothetically any camera could then effect it. Maybe? I mean, it makes more sense if you pretend Choshiro has a little disposable camera or something in his pocket. Still not really sure what it is that harms the ghosts here, though.

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013

yamiaainferno posted:

Paracelsus posted:

Shows how much of the previous games I remember. :downs:

I haven't actually played any of the Fatal Frame games myself; I don't own the appropriate consoles. I have watched LPs of them, but that seems like a while ago now.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Danger-Pumpkin posted:

I think I kind of like the idea of the flashlight. I mean, how much do we know about the cameras obscura? How do they work? What makes them capable of capturing photos of ghosts, and driving spirits away? If we assume it's the film, the flashlight makes no sense, but if it's the flashbulb, then the flashlight seems like a natural extension of the concept. Something about the light filtering through a moonstone lens allows the light to interact with the metaphysical ghost stuff, and THAT makes the ghosts vulnerable to interaction. The flash bounces off the ghost(?), and through the lens allowing the film to capture the image, or something. This is a more direct idea, where the light shines straight through the lens, into the ghost, and hypothetically any camera could then effect it. Maybe? I mean, it makes more sense if you pretend Choshiro has a little disposable camera or something in his pocket. Still not really sure what it is that harms the ghosts here, though.
The Cameras Obscura from previous games had a bunch of sanskrit characters to display the charge-up mechanic, so it seems like they functioned as a sort of automated Bhuddist exorcism machine. The cameras in this game have a moon theme going on and I don't recall any sanskrit, so either Asou found another way of doing the same thing or the team that made 4 weren't too concerned about the finer points of continuity.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

^^^^^^^^^^
It's pretty much the second part of what you said; they got very general ideas from the previous games and ran with them. Hell, I think even in the interview that Panzer linked earlier one of the designers was asked what type of horror inspired them for the game and the person just flat out said they didn't like horror.

Antistar01 posted:

Shows how much of the previous games I remember. :downs:

I haven't actually played any of the Fatal Frame games myself; I don't own the appropriate consoles. I have watched LPs of them, but that seems like a while ago now.
It's super easy to forget Kei existed in Fatal Frame 3 since he was mostly useless (outside of coincidentally looking like a dead lover, like Mafuyu), so it's not something to worry about.

Danger-Pumpkin posted:

You might be over-thinking it a tiny bit; as far as we'll be able to tell from the back story we're given about the flashlight, it was made by the people of the island in an effort to mimic what information they could from Asou's work along with their knowledge about how the moon acts as some passageway to the other world. That's why it's this bizarre combination of the spirit stones that we've seen used in the camera obscura along with it being powered by the moon. They probably just wanted additional protection in case the single camera they were given wasn't enough. Still the camera works better as a medium of capturing since there's plenty of cultures out there that have seen taking as a picture as 'capturing' a person's soul; I don't really know of anything similar with flashlights unless it's the Ghostbusters with proton packs.

Volt Catfish posted:

A magical picture taking ghost damaging flashlight is too dumb :geno:. I mean, did we still need Wii control gimmicks in games by 2008? I guess we did

I think the core of this game still seems fine though, I've got an urge to play it myself at least!
Yeah, overall I don't mind the addition of the flashlight mechanic being an obvious shoehorning in of Wii controls (at least in comparison to the hand reaching nonsense we have to do almost constantly in the game). Really the only thing that bothers me is the 'Develop' lens....I still have no idea why that's there just for Choushiro or at all really.

Antistar01 posted:

There was no audio for that phone call in the video; not sure if it was intentional, since I remember you mentioned that those come through the wiimote.

It's interesting to see a male player character in a Fatal Frame game; it seemed like female protagonists were their thing. As soon as I saw that, I was curious to see how they would handle his movement speed, since the female characters all seem to move quite slowly, like their knees are tied together. Sort of in a "girly" way that seems typical of certain Japanese media, I mean.

Turns out he just sort of ambles along, I guess?
Yeah, I mentioned when we first got a call that it's not really audio that I can record properly since I haven't got it to come through any other medium than the Wii-mote (and I don't really feel it'd be audible enough if I held a mic up to the Wii-mote speaker). But you guys seriously aren't missing much with that.

And much like in Fatal Frame 3, though we are getting to play as multiple characters their physical body types don't really factor into game play at all. Choushiro doesn't have more health than Ruka or Misaki, Ruka doesn't run faster than the other characters; there's no real differences there. The only real differences come into factor with the combat, and even then it's been massively dumbed down from Fatal Frame 3 where Miku had her charged shots and Kei....could hide? In this game, both Camera Obscuras are pretty much the same and the flashlight is well.....even easier than the camera if you can believe it. It charges up immediately and you just spam the 'A' button; there's no need to center a shot, there's no need to wait 20 seconds to fully charge a shot, and there's no need to worry about film. The only draw back is inability to lock-on but that's not a great loss.

discworld is all I read fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Sep 1, 2014

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Why the gently caress does everyone travel to this island at night?

Paracelsus posted:

But could he push shelves?

Danger-Pumpkin posted:

I mean, it makes more sense if you pretend Choshiro has a little disposable camera or something in his pocket.
Or he has photographic memory and it's that good:monocle:
Photographic memory and a death stare.

Edvarius
Aug 23, 2013
Well great, now I'm imagining Choushiro getting into intense staring contests with all of the creepy dolls on Rougetsu.

Dual Monarchy
Feb 20, 2013
Choushiro's amazing mop of hair :allears: that is something magnificent alright. But more seriously, the flashlight seems like a bit of an easy-mode cop-out compared to the camera (when the environment isn't blocking it most of the time), although I do like the explanation that it's a bit like good ol' proton packs.

grandalt
Feb 26, 2013

I didn't fight through two wars to rule
I fought for the future of the world

And the right to have hot tea whenever I wanted
Well, there's another reason why the flashlight would work for Choushiro, but that will have to wait.

yamiaainferno
Jun 30, 2013

The thing is that no matter how hard you try and justify the flashlight, the fact that they threw in the Develop lens (which mentions photographs, for God's sake) shows that the developers had no idea what to do with it. It's all just bullcrap to try and cover a lovely, shoehorned mechanic.

Also, seriously, how many people have to go to this island and go missing before someone calls the cops?? Choushiro is here alone, in no official capacity since he was apparently asked by Ruka's mother(?). We're at...four missing now, with one already dead?

yamiaainferno fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Sep 1, 2014

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Niggurath posted:

The only real differences come into factor with the combat, and even then it's been massively dumbed down from Fatal Frame 3 where Miku had her charged shots and Kei....could hide?
Kei's camera was actually really good once you treat it completely differently from all the other cameras in the series and stop trying to wait for fatal frame windows. He doesn't have that many fights, Type 14 is plentiful, and every shot he takes is at full power, so you just burn through ghosts' health by taking rapid-fire normal shots, then use Pressure if they start attacking or save your MP for using Blow against really strong ghosts.

Perlia
May 14, 2013
Like what Niggurath said, there are two Doctor Haibaras to keep note of. There's You Haibara (pronounced like "Yo" btw, the u is the romanized signifier of extending the o vowel), the guy Choushiro is after. According to Choushiro's notebook, You was a prime suspect in a couple of patient deaths at his clinic in Tokyo. You's father is the director of Rougetsu Hospital and Rougetsu Hall (where Ruka and Misaki are), named Shigeto Haibara.

Perlia's Spirit Notes

Asagi Hizuki, one of the first signs that the treatments at the hospital are less than ethical. Little girl with long hair that reminds me of some horror movie.

Natsuki Shiono, the one who tries pincering you with Asagi. According to the wiki, she was waiting for a lover to visit her at Rougetsu Hall. You can guess how likely that was going to happen.

Yoriko Sonohara, a very unlucky lady. She's the one who hung herself because she didn't want to lose any more memories of her family. You found her room door all busted and her suicide note in the last chapter. She was fought a few times already, the latest was during the first fight as Choushiro.

Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

That's the way the bee bumbles.

Niggurath posted:

You might be over-thinking it a tiny bit

Well I definitely am, but I really want to make sense of the flashlight, and salvage the concept, because I think it's neat (if poorly implemented, as others have pointed out.)

SelenicMartian posted:

Or he has photographic memory and it's that good:monocle:
Photographic memory and a death stare.

YES! If there's one thing comic books have taught me, it's that all detectives worth their weight in detection have photographic memories!

Obscil
Feb 28, 2012

PLEASE LIKE ME!

Niggurath posted:

Yeah, I mentioned when we first got a call that it's not really audio that I can record properly since I haven't got it to come through any other medium than the Wii-mote (and I don't really feel it'd be audible enough if I held a mic up to the Wii-mote speaker). But you guys seriously aren't missing much with that.

If you press the home button then go to the wiimote settings, you can turn the wiimote volume off. Doing that should have the TV make any of the wiimotes sounds instead, so you should be able to capture the sound that way.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Obscil posted:

If you press the home button then go to the wiimote settings, you can turn the wiimote volume off. Doing that should have the TV make any of the wiimotes sounds instead, so you should be able to capture the sound that way.
It doesn't. It just causes no sounds to play for the phone call.

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013

Perlia posted:

Like what Niggurath said, there are two Doctor Haibaras to keep note of. There's You Haibara (pronounced like "Yo" btw, the u is the romanized signifier of extending the o vowel), the guy Choushiro is after. According to Choushiro's notebook, You was a prime suspect in a couple of patient deaths at his clinic in Tokyo. You's father is the director of Rougetsu Hospital and Rougetsu Hall (where Ruka and Misaki are), named Shigeto Haibara.

That's sort of an unfortunate way to romanise it; it's like a 'Who's on first?' joke.

Almost like you're accusing the reader of something, using poor grammar. :v:

azren
Feb 14, 2011

grandalt posted:

Well, there's another reason why the flashlight would work for Choushiro, but that will have to wait.

Clearly it works for him because it's long and cylindrical, and therefore resonates with his pen-

...you know, never mind.

yamiaainferno
Jun 30, 2013

Heads up, don't read the TV Tropes page for the Fatal Frame series assuming that there won't be many spoilers for an untranslated game. :(

Drakli
Jan 28, 2004
Goblin-Friend

Niggurath posted:

Still the camera works better as a medium of capturing since there's plenty of cultures out there that have seen taking as a picture as 'capturing' a person's soul; I don't really know of anything similar with flashlights unless it's the Ghostbusters with proton packs.

It might be from Luigi. Luigi's Mansion allowed him to stun ghosts by hitting them with the beam of his flashlight. That said, I might be reading too much into Fatal Frame 4 and the Luigi's Mansion series being on Nintendo systems and Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon being popular. Apart from that, I assume the flashlight was chosen because it's traditional for ghosts to like the dark and shun the light. It still feels like an awkward design choice, but at least it's explicable.

bodz5150
Jun 29, 2005

I'm the only muthafukin Jedi to defeat the muthafukin Emperor! Not even Yoda pulled that shit off! I'm tired of that bitch Skywalker gettin all the muthafukin credit!
Nobody seems to have mentioned it, but the flashlight mechanic seems to be "borrowed" by Alan Wake. It's not exactly the same, but it is very similar. At least there is no product placement in this game.
On a different note, Choushiro seems to have the movement animations of the females when running. He swishes a bit too much when running. Unless, there's a plot point in further on I'm unaware of.:gay:

yamiaainferno
Jun 30, 2013

I doubt developers at USA Microsoft knew anything about an untranslated game about cameras in Japan, but they are kind of similar. That said, I think Alan Wake employed the "flashlights in combat" thing a lot better by not trying to pretend that it was a camera. It made more narrative sense, in my opinion.

EDIT: That said, Alan Wake's combat was pretty awful. I'm talking narrative, not gameplay.

bodz5150
Jun 29, 2005

I'm the only muthafukin Jedi to defeat the muthafukin Emperor! Not even Yoda pulled that shit off! I'm tired of that bitch Skywalker gettin all the muthafukin credit!

yamiaainferno posted:

I doubt developers at USA Microsoft knew anything about an untranslated game about cameras in Japan, but they are kind of similar. That said, I think Alan Wake employed the "flashlights in combat" thing a lot better by not trying to pretend that it was a camera. It made more narrative sense, in my opinion.

EDIT: That said, Alan Wake's combat was pretty awful. I'm talking narrative, not gameplay.

I'm just saying that Alan Wake's flashlight mechanics owe something to this game. Intentional or not.

Panzer Skank
Jan 12, 2004

He's a regular-crab.
Not, like, a sex-crab.

JunkerV on tweeters keeps drawing Misaki as SO COOL so I had to draw her as the coolest too

Also while I'm here pooping out a fanart here's one I drew a while back and posted on twitter but forgot to post in the thread!

I just really like cute ladies hunting ghosts :shobon:

Dual Monarchy
Feb 20, 2013
:allears: The ghost floating out of that cigarette really just makes that first picture. This art is so cool.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

What will Choushiro find in the bowels of the hospital? Will more people try to tell me that there's no audio for the phone calls? And who thought that the blinding attack was a worthwhile idea? Find out all that, and more, in the latest update.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

'The Day Without Suffering' is a great name for a horrible disaster. It says so little about it, and what it says makes no sense. I really hope it lives up to my expectations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LeafyGreens
May 9, 2009

the elegant cephalopod

Oh man, I can't believe I missed this! I've always been a big fan of Fatal Frame (and Niggurath LPs) so I'm stoked for this.

The story of this one seems really interesting, but with the lack of fixed camera angles it seems like it's missing a lot of the tension of the earlier games imo

• Locked thread