Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=Special:ListFiles/Loavesofbread&ilshowall=1
CLICK TO GO TO COMPLETE WIKIMEDIA PHOTO ALBUM

https://www.youtube.com/user/gyroj3t/videos
CLICK TO GO TO YOUTUBE VIDEOS

CHAT WITH OTHER GOONS ABOUT ANARCHISM
#FergusonLIVE @SynIRC

Woof Blitzer fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Nov 25, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

Woof Blitzer fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Nov 27, 2014

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
Thank you for the thread :)

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

I'm headed there this weekend to film, photograph and interview. If folks are around or would give recommendations, feel free to PM me.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

bassguitarhero posted:

I'm headed there this weekend to film, photograph and interview. If folks are around or would give recommendations, feel free to PM me.

The memorial is at 9406 Canfield Ct, Ferguson MO 63136

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"
The police version of events is, roughly:

1. Brown was accosted for walking in the street, possibly on suspicion of something.
2. Brown or the friend he was with assaulted a police officer, pushing them into the car.
3. Inside the car, Brown grabbed for the officer's gun, and the first shot was fired, which hit no one.
4. Brown fled, and was shot while unarmed, thirty-five feet away from the car.

Even treating this version of events as strictly true, it'd be hard to see how this could possibly be a justifiable homicide.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Supposedly a witness to the murder has gone missing.
https://twitter.com/Lussenpop/status/499286249803247616

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Koalas March posted:

If I were him i'd loving hide too

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Another tragic example of why anyone permitted to use lethal force should be wearing recording devices. Looting is a shameful behavior but opportunists wouldn't even have get an opening if oversight could improve people's trust in the police.

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

Koalas March posted:

According to the NAACP, Johnson has made himself available for questioning but the police haven't responded.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!

zen death robot posted:

It's official, news helicopters have been told not to fly over Ferguson:

http://fox2now.com/2014/08/12/news-helicopters-asked-not-to-fly-over-ferguson/

a no fly zone for this seems pretty extreme. What's the motivation here, that some pissed off civilian will shoot at a news chopper? Or is this just pre-emptive so that the next time there is "looting" they can go heavy handed?

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

Sword of Chomsky posted:

a no fly zone for this seems pretty extreme. What's the motivation here, that some pissed off civilian will shoot at a news chopper? Or is this just pre-emptive so that the next time there is "looting" they can go heavy handed?

There is a large airport right next door. Of all the actions taken by the PD, this is the least dumb and the least thuggish.

In these days of 4G connections and vines, you're not going to avoid videos being taken by enforcing a no-fly zone.

Also:

One weird trick that would have, I think, prevented any rioting:

Arrest the officer who shot Brown and release his name.

Obdicut fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Aug 12, 2014

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
If I had a helicopter I'd be flying at 3,001ft MSL peering down on the situation.

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

Obdicut posted:

Arrest the officer who shot Brown and release his name.

If they were going to do this, they would have done so by now. For whatever reason, the PD is going to fight for him. I think this could be a situation the police have wanted for a while.

Pre-emptively closing off airspace would be a nice idea if you plan on bringing down a massive hammer on a huge number of protestors at once.

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

zen death robot posted:

The airport traffic is not effected by the no-fly zone, and it's not like these helicopter pilots haven't been flying around this area for years covering traffic along I-70/270/170 which happens to be right by that same airport.

Yes, but thanks to this shooting it's quite likely that chopper pilots without local experience might be arriving and flying around. That the airport isn't affected is my point: This is consistent with not wanting news helicopters to get in the way of the airport traffic.

The police failing to question witnesses even days after the shooting is a much weirder and bigger problem than no helicopters. Like I said, you're not going to escape surveillance through lack of news helicopters.

bassguitarhero posted:

If they were going to do this, they would have done so by now. For whatever reason, the PD is going to fight for him. I think this could be a situation the police have wanted for a while.

I agree that it wouldn't be much use now, it's what they should have immediately done.

quote:

Pre-emptively closing off airspace would be a nice idea if you plan on bringing down a massive hammer on a huge number of protestors at once.

See, I don't think it would be, because you're not also going to prevent everyone with a 4G connection from uploading vines of the hammer coming down. I could completely believe that the PD isn't sad at the idea of news choppers being banned from the air, but it also seems like a reasonable response when you've got a big airport next door.

Obdicut fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Aug 12, 2014

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

I asked my dad what he thought about it and he launched into a rant about why was he going for the cop's gun if he didn't do anything, how those people need to learn to do what police tell them like everyone else if they don't want to get shot, how black people need to stop using every dead black kid as an excuse to riot and destroy their neighborhoods, and followed it up with something about how these guys we had around here (who planted drugs on people they stopped and couldn't find anything on) were very bad but at least they kept the streets clean!

Ian Winthorpe III
Dec 5, 2013

gays, fatties and women are the main funny things in life. Fuck those lefty tumblrfuck fags, I'll laugh at poofs and abbos if I want to
Is the officer accused of killing him black or white?

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Ian Winthorpe III posted:

Is the officer accused of killing him black or white?

As far as I'm aware, white. Also the police force is 95% white policing a 66% black town.

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

Obdicut posted:

Yes, but thanks to this shooting it's quite likely that chopper pilots without local experience might be arriving and flying around. That the airport isn't affected is my point: This is consistent with not wanting news helicopters to get in the way of the airport traffic.

The police failing to question witnesses even days after the shooting is a much weirder and bigger problem than no helicopters. Like I said, you're not going to escape surveillance through lack of news helicopters.

I agree that it wouldn't be much use now, it's what they should have immediately done.

See, I don't think it would be, because you're not also going to prevent everyone with a 4G connection from uploading vines of the hammer coming down. I could completely believe that the PD isn't sad at the idea of news choppers being banned from the air, but it also seems like a reasonable response when you've got a big airport next door.

It isn't about attacking citizen journalism but about getting mainstream media journalists out. While we live in an age where anyone could vine and get their footage out, someone's vine video languishing on an account with 50 followers isn't going to get the same presence as Channel 7's news copter.

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

bassguitarhero posted:

It isn't about attacking citizen journalism but about getting mainstream media journalists out. While we live in an age where anyone could vine and get their footage out, someone's vine video languishing on an account with 50 followers isn't going to get the same presence as Channel 7's news copter.

Channel 7's news copter can fly at 4,000 feet and still get footage with a good camera, though. And nobody's vine video that shows anything from Ferguson involving cops is going to languish. Channel 7 will happily buy (or steal) it.

Of all the things going on--aiming weapons at clearly unarmed, non-violent protesters, tear-gassing residents in their backyards, failing to interview witnesses, not releasing the name of the officer, calling black people 'animals'--the (limited) FAA closure is really small potatoes.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Obdicut posted:

Channel 7's news copter can fly at 4,000 feet and still get footage with a good camera, though. And nobody's vine video that shows anything from Ferguson involving cops is going to languish. Channel 7 will happily buy (or steal) it.

Of all the things going on--aiming weapons at clearly unarmed, non-violent protesters, tear-gassing residents in their backyards, failing to interview witnesses, not releasing the name of the officer, calling black people 'animals'--the (limited) FAA closure is really small potatoes.

It calls attention to the level of police state, that's why people are focusing on it.

Funnily enough, police killing killing people for [living] while black isn't anything new, but I don't remember seeing a no-fly zone before, though that doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

Bunleigh
Jun 6, 2005

by exmarx
This story is making me sick to my stomach. I can't believe what I'm seeing and reading.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Bunleigh posted:

This story is making me sick to my stomach. I can't believe what I'm seeing and reading.
Really? Because this poo poo happens all the goddamn time. Maybe one in a hundred incidents get blown up into a national media event due to a combination of truly incompetent policing, photogenic rioting, and a slow news day. 'Cop Shoots Black Teen' should just be a permanent headline. They could save a lot of reporter time by just writing a form story and changing the names and location once a day.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

So I guess Anonymous hasn't dropped his name yet?

Bunleigh posted:

Don't turn on AM radio then.

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

Zeitgueist posted:

It calls attention to the level of police state, that's why people are focusing on it.

I'd say it distracts attention away from the actual police state poo poo that's going on.

To add to that, there's allegations that the wooden rounds used in riot control, which are supposed to get reflected off the ground before they hit you, were being used directly on protesters.

quote:

Funnily enough, police killing killing people for [living] while black isn't anything new, but I don't remember seeing a no-fly zone before, though that doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

Yeah, they're used extensively for fire-fighting stuff but I also haven't seen a law enforcement one before.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Obdicut posted:

Yeah, they're used extensively for fire-fighting stuff but I also haven't seen a law enforcement one before.

Wasn't there a no-fly zone in place during the Boston Bombings?

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Obdicut posted:

I'd say it distracts attention away from the actual police state poo poo that's going on.

To add to that, there's allegations that the wooden rounds used in riot control, which are supposed to get reflected off the ground before they hit you, were being used directly on protesters.

Oh there's all sorts of awful poo poo happening in this case, I don't think talking about no-fly's takes away from the fact that they rolled in a tank to address a non-violent protest, or used wooden slugs.

There's room for all the awfulness. :allears:

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Luigi Thirty posted:

I asked my dad what he thought about it and he launched into a rant about why was he going for the cop's gun if he didn't do anything, how those people need to learn to do what police tell them like everyone else if they don't want to get shot, how black people need to stop using every dead black kid as an excuse to riot and destroy their neighborhoods, and followed it up with something about how these guys we had around here (who planted drugs on people they stopped and couldn't find anything on) were very bad but at least they kept the streets clean!

Sounds like the kind of guy who needs an audit, since he apparently doesn't mind government's dick in his butt. If you've done nothing wrong, you've got nothing to hide, right?

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Obdicut posted:

They issued one for the Bundy Ranch shenanigans back in April for pretty much the same reasons. Too much traffic, too many armed morons on the ground.

An Apple A Gay
Oct 21, 2008

Talk radio 3 hours southwest of STL referred to rioters as "animals" and explained they were stealing nikes, not work boots and "idiot animals" that stole lottery tickets didn't know they can't be redeemed.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Zeitgueist posted:

Oh there's all sorts of awful poo poo happening in this case, I don't think talking about no-fly's takes away from the fact that they rolled in a tank to address a non-violent protest, or used wooden slugs.

There's room for all the awfulness. :allears:

Wait, there was a tank there? Not like a MRAP but an actual M1A1?

Bunleigh
Jun 6, 2005

by exmarx

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Really? Because this poo poo happens all the goddamn time. Maybe one in a hundred incidents get blown up into a national media event due to a combination of truly incompetent policing, photogenic rioting, and a slow news day. 'Cop Shoots Black Teen' should just be a permanent headline. They could save a lot of reporter time by just writing a form story and changing the names and location once a day.
Yes okay whatever, allow me to be a little horrified you goddamn goon.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

mastershakeman posted:

No, there wasn't a tank.

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!

mastershakeman posted:

Uh, don't you mean a General Dynamics Land Systems M1A2 Main Battle Tank with a Tank Urban Survival Kit and soldiers wearing Manpads?

:goonsay:

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

mastershakeman posted:

No, they have a Bearcat and a Maxxpro. Armored vans.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

McDowell posted:

Another tragic example of why anyone permitted to use lethal force should be wearing recording devices. Looting is a shameful behavior but opportunists wouldn't even have get an opening if oversight could improve people's trust in the police.

This really cannot be said enough. Any public employee that carries a weapon of any kind (gun, taser, even just pepper spray) should have a camera at all times while they have the weapon on them. It's such a no-brainer thing.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Ernie Muppari posted:

Uh, don't you mean a General Dynamics Land Systems M1A2 Main Battle Tank with a Tank Urban Survival Kit and soldiers wearing Manpads?

It's important not to use hyperbole here, because the only reason to send an actual tank in is to look good for the cameras or because you're explicitly planning to kill people.

And a MANPADS is a weapon not a piece of clothing

Who What Now posted:

This really cannot be said enough. Any public employee that carries a weapon of any kind (gun, taser, even just pepper spray) should have a camera at all times while they have the weapon on them. It's such a no-brainer thing.

There have even been studies that find putting cameras on cops is good for the police because they don't have to deal with people falsely claiming to have been subject to police brutality. The only reason not to put cameras on cops is because you want to keep doing genuine police brutality.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

mastershakeman posted:

Never change goons, never change.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW

Who What Now posted:

go read the last couple pages of the GiP ask cops thread if you want to see the sort of arguments police make against such measures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!

AATREK CURES KIDS posted:

And a MANPADS is a weapon not a piece of clothing

It's easy to confuse the two, but MANPADS is an acronym for MAN Portable Air-Defense System, whereas Manpads is a brand of masculine hygiene product.

• Locked thread