Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Woozy
Jan 3, 2006

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

:allears:

What is it with you and your obsession with labeling people you don't agree with as mentally ill?

You actually do have a personality disorder and also hrm I dunno should you be cheerleading a board invasion or isn't your responsibility ordinarily to put a stop to those things

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Woozy posted:

You actually do have a personality disorder and also hrm I dunno should you be cheerleading a board invasion or isn't your responsibility ordinarily to put a stop to those things

What personality disorder do you think I have?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Dead Reckoning posted:

VVV Your ideas still suck.

How dense are you? I wasn't making a serious policy suggestion. I was applying the same standard of proof to the existence of "racial quotas" that you're applying to the existence of racist policing, and surprise! It's suddenly correctly identified as bullshit reasoning when it's not being used to derail and deflect any suggestion to discipline or terminate cops whose record shows a clear racial bias in enforcement.

Guess what, if your opponent borrowing your reasoning makes you furious and incredulous, it's probably poo poo reasoning that insults the intelligence of anyone who hears it!

Woozy
Jan 3, 2006

What personality disorder do you think I have?

"Other".

Hey remember when I asked you whether this is appropriate or even just not wildly inappropriate behavior for a mod and are you gonna answer that or what

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

What is it with you and your obsession with labeling people you don't agree with as mentally ill?

What is it with you and that dumb ol' smiley, or with dodging questions, or with focusing on tiny parts of posts and ignoring the rest?

Woozy
Jan 3, 2006
Im just checking because it seems a little weird that a mod from a forum known to run peanut galleries on D&D threads can come over here and give big sloppy blowjob posts to what I just assume you refer to as "your boys"and no one's like "hey maybe you shouldn't do that"

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

VitalSigns posted:

How dense are you? I wasn't making a serious policy suggestion. I was applying the same standard of proof to the existence of "racial quotas" that you're applying to the existence of racist policing, and surprise! It's suddenly correctly identified as bullshit reasoning when it's not being used to derail and deflect any suggestion to discipline or terminate cops whose record shows a clear racial bias in enforcement.

Guess what, if your opponent borrowing your reasoning makes you furious and incredulous, it's probably poo poo reasoning that insults the intelligence of anyone who hears it!

You did make a policy suggestion, then tried to bounce to this weird derail instead of addressing the criticism that was levied against it.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Woozy posted:

"Other".

Hey remember when I asked you whether this is appropriate or even just not wildly inappropriate behavior for a mod and are you gonna answer that or what

You're right. I should follow my own advice and just not read D&D.

Sorry for the derail please continue your discussions and debates :)

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Jarmak posted:

You did make a policy suggestion, then tried to bounce to this weird derail instead of addressing the criticism that was levied against it.

It's not a derail. People are objecting to using an officer's record of racially disparate enforcement because it allegedly requires them to "prove a negative" or "ignore crimes by black people to meet quotas" to not get fired.

I turned it around and applied that exact same standard to firing police and suddenly everyone is flipping out that I would dare suggest anything as unfair as using a neutrally-worded policy to discipline officers for hidden reasons, and telling me that's totally unethical and something like that should not be tolerated. Which should say something about the quality of your standards.

E: Here's a suggestion. Let's say the Ferguson PD actually started doing what I described in my hypothetical. How would we detect it and stop it, do you think?

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Mar 14, 2015

Waco Panty Raid
Mar 30, 2002

I don't mind being a little pedantic.

VitalSigns posted:

While I like your idea of recording or following cops to see how many black vs white crimes they punish or ignore...how does that work for something that's up to police discretion like jaywalking? It's pretty common for cops not to enforce jaywalking for a whole mess of reasons (even if it's just that it wastes time and they might have something more important to do)...but if it's at discretion, and you're counting up episodes of enforcement to look for racial bias, then how does that not meet your definition of a quota?

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for it. But what makes something documentation and follow-up, and what makes it a quota to you?
That's the point, to test their discretion. I'm not expecting Ferguson police to be required to issue 29 white jaywalking citations for every 67 black ones, that would be a quota. What I'm more interested in is if they are actually ignoring white jaywalking at a disproportionate rate, and if they are at the very least demand an explanation. A disparate impact indicates that there could be racism at play, but we need to determine whose racism it is and what's really going on. Example: if cops are being predominately assigned to patrol a black area of the town, it really isn't the fault of the cops when they cite a disproportionate number of blacks for crimes, it would be who is assigning them.

Obviously this kind of surveillance isn't practical on a large scale, but that's why I said you make some examples.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
It's clear that from their admitted inability to treat opinions they consider too strange with respect that GiP complaints about intolerance are, consciously or unconsciously, in bad faith- even in an incredibly tolerant space for them, they wouldn't reciprocate at all.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

VitalSigns posted:

It's not a derail. People are objecting to using an officer's record of racially disparate enforcement because it allegedly requires them to "prove a negative" or "ignore crimes by black people to meet quotas" to not get fired.

I turned it around and applied that exact same standard to firing police and suddenly everyone is flipping out that I would dare suggest anything as unfair as using a neutrally-worded policy to discipline officers for hidden reasons, and telling me that's totally unethical and something like that should not be tolerated. Which should say something about the quality of your standards.

I don't think anyone was suggesting that cops using their discretion to secretly go after black people was acceptable, they were arguing against your claim that the laws themselves were racist. Your display of how easily this exact abuse of discretion be replicated in a completely unrelated situation actually supports their argument not yours.

Also your demonstration of the problem does nothing to address criticism of your proposed solution.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Waco Panty Raid posted:

That's the point, to test their discretion. I'm not expecting Ferguson police to be required to issue 29 white jaywalking citations for every 67 black ones, that would be a quota. What I'm more interested in is if they are actually ignoring white jaywalking at a disproportionate rate, and if they are at the very least demand an explanation.

I said almost literally this and was told I was suggesting a quota by another name:

VitalSigns posted:

You don't need a quota. If the guy in question isn't being racist, then in the long run his citations will reflect the demographics and crime rates in the area. If they don't, he should probably be trained better or fired because at the very least he's doing shoddy police work and hurting efficiency.

VitalSigns posted:

Hypothetical: an internal report alerts you that valuable police time is being diverted from catching criminals because the force is searching people wearing red shoes at twice the rate of everyone else yet only finding illegal items half as often.

Is there any way, even in principle, to train or discipline these officers, or do we just have to throw up our hands and say "welp, guess we can't set performance standards!"

Jarmak posted:

A performance standard regarding the ratio of races arrested/searched/ticketed/whatever is a quota.

If you want a quota argue for a quota, but stop trying to dodge having to defend a quota system by describing it in other words and pretending its not.

I'm glad to hear that it's not a quota, but I think I need a formal definition of a quota so in the future I word things properly to avoid sounding like I want a quota when what I actually want is to "test discretion"

Jarmak posted:

I don't think anyone was suggesting that cops using their discretion to secretly go after black people was acceptable, they were arguing against your claim that the laws themselves were racist. Your display of how easily this exact abuse of discretion be replicated in a completely unrelated situation actually supports their argument not yours.

No I think the response to my suggestion shows that it actually is the outcome that's important, not the hidden thoughts of the people involved. If a police chief were really dismissing officers using an inconsistently applied rule as the reason but the pattern of enforcement indicates some other underlying factor, it actually is possible to identify it and I don't think anyone here would argue that it would be wrong to tell the chief that he needs to start enforcing the rule equally or face consequences to his job, and nobody would take him seriously if he said "you're asking me to prove a negative" or "oh now I'm supposed to ignore rule-breakers?"

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Mar 14, 2015

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

The Larch posted:

Well, generally you are put on trial for some form of assault (if the victim lived) or homicide (if the victim died). I am unaware of anyone being charged with "conducting a traffic stop" for shooting someone.

Actually, if the trial I was on a sequestered jury for a couple weeks ago is any indication, you'd be put on trial for attempted murder for a shooting that didn't result in the victim's death.

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

We can't keep the crowd waiting, can we?

You know that the GiP current events thread was literally labeling people in this thread as mentally ill because we thought a cop might have done something wrong, right?

:ironicat:

Did that disrupt your ~narrative~?

Waco Panty Raid
Mar 30, 2002

I don't mind being a little pedantic.

VitalSigns posted:

I said almost literally this and was told I was suggesting a quota by another name:

I'm glad to hear that it's not a quota, but I think I need a formal definition of a quota so in the future I word things properly to avoid sounding like I want a quota when what I actually want is to "test discretion"
You're ignoring a lot of my post. I'm not citing the "quota" as the end-all to the investigation, at best it is just the beginning. That's why I'm asking for actual evidence the police officer in question is ignoring crime of certain races, not just assuming he is because the ticketing doesn't match up with racial assumptions about crime.

Booourns
Jan 20, 2004
Please send a report when you see me complain about other posters and threads outside of QCS

~thanks!

What is it with you and your obsession with shitposting in this forum

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Waco Panty Raid posted:

You're ignoring a lot of my post. I'm not citing the "quota" as the end-all to the investigation, at best it is just the beginning. That's why I'm asking for actual evidence the police officer in question is ignoring crime of certain races, not just assuming he is because the ticketing doesn't match up with racial assumptions about crime.

Sorry, didn't mean to ignore it. I snipped it because I just wanted to get that question out of the way.

So if I understand you correctly, we should establish procedures to collect more evidence of an officer's record of enforcement (body cameras, better record-keeping, incident reports, complaints, etc) and if they show a racial bias that's not explained by other factors like the demographics of his beat or crime rates across race, then we launch an investigation, require an explanation, recommend him for training, or possibly if it's egregious, terminate him as an example to other officers. And this is not a quota because the follow-up investigation is what actually establishes his unethical behavior.

Did I get that right? Because if so then I am in agreement with all of it.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

VitalSigns posted:

Those aren't remotely the same thing. "you must cite/arrest x ratio of blacks to whites a month" is a quota, "we observed you for one week and noticed that chose to cite blacks in lieu of a verbal warning/ignoring it 90% of the time but you only issued tickets to white people 10% of the time, explain yourself" is not a quota.

VitalSigns posted:

No I think the response to my suggestion shows that it actually is the outcome that's important, not the hidden thoughts of the people involved. If a police chief were really dismissing officers using an inconsistently applied rule as the reason but the pattern of enforcement indicates some other underlying factor, it actually is possible to identify it and I don't think anyone here would argue that it would be wrong to tell the chief that he needs to start enforcing the rule equally or face consequences to his job, and nobody would take him seriously if he said "you're asking me to prove a negative" or "oh now I'm supposed to ignore rule-breakers?"

What? Of course people would take that seriously and its a constant occurrence in the working world. Management disproportionately enforces rules to get rid of employees they don't like all the loving time. The only time they generally get in trouble for it is if they do it regularly against a protected class in a way that shows a clear pattern, or the disparity of enforcement is egregious enough to be provable as exactly that.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010
Has anything changed or are people endlessly arguing two separate insane ideas:

1) It's okay to assault a police officer
2) It's okay for an officer to get out of his car, pursue, and gun down an unarmed man, claiming self-defense

Okay, I know the answer to that, has anything meaningful happened other than That Guy being probated for continuing to be a racist dingdong?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Jarmak posted:

Those aren't remotely the same thing. "you must cite/arrest x ratio of blacks to whites a month" is a quota, "we observed you for one week and noticed that chose to cite blacks in lieu of a verbal warning/ignoring it 90% of the time but you only issued tickets to white people 10% of the time, explain yourself" is not a quota.

I never said "you must cite/arrest x ratio of blacks to whites a month". What I meant was the second thing, that if the pattern of enforcement doesn't match up with the underlying demographics and crime rate, that we require an explanation/better training/possible termination. I apologize if I did not word it correctly and it sounded like I was advocating "you must cite exactly 76 white people and 24 black people for jaywalking in any two-week period", but I'm glad we can come to agreement on this point.

Jarmak posted:

What? Of course people would take that seriously and its a constant occurrence in the working world. Management disproportionately enforces rules to get rid of employees they don't like all the loving time. The only time they generally get in trouble for it is if they do it regularly against a protected class in a way that shows a clear pattern, or the disparity of enforcement is egregious enough to be provable as exactly that.
I meant "no one would take the obviously biased chief's objection seriously", obviously they would take the situation seriously.

And you're right that this happens in the working world, but I think the pattern of racist enforcement outlined in the DOJ report meets any reasonable standard of provability and is certainly greater than what it would take for a manager in a private company to face consequences, don't you?

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

VitalSigns posted:

I never said "you must cite/arrest x ratio of blacks to whites a month". What I meant was the second thing, that if the pattern of enforcement doesn't match up with the underlying demographics and crime rate, that we require an explanation/better training/possible termination. I apologize if I did not word it correctly and it sounded like I was advocating "you must cite exactly 76 white people and 24 black people for jaywalking in any two-week period", but I'm glad we can come to agreement on this point.

I'm failing to see the difference in your statement and my characterization of it, your simply basing the ratio on demographic data.

VitalSigns posted:

I meant "no one would take the obviously biased chief's objection seriously", obviously they would take the situation seriously.

No I meant people would take the chief's objections seriously. In your particular hypothetical not as much, but only because you declared by fiat that in your
hypothetical the wrongdoing was obvious and provable.

VitalSigns posted:

And you're right that this happens in the working world, but I think the pattern of racist enforcement outlined in the DOJ report meets any reasonable standard of provability and is certainly greater than what it would take for a manager in a private company to face consequences, don't you?

Yes, but there's a difference in proving an individual did something versus proving a large group of people did something wrong in aggregate. It's certainly enough to go after the leadership.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Jarmak posted:

I'm failing to see the difference in your statement and my characterization of it, your simply basing the ratio on demographic data.

No I was misunderstanding you. I get what you mean now after rereading a few times: it's not a quota if you observe a police officer, note that he encountered say 10 white jaywalkers and 10 black jaywalkers in a month, but cited 9 black and only 1 white person. Only, how can you possibly enforce this when you're not looking over someone's shoulder? I mean, no one is going to write up an incident report of a crime they ignored. Is the cop going to just straight-up admit everything by turning in a report that says "saw 10 whites jaywalking today but didn't do anything, then cited a black"?

Bodycams? I wouldn't think it'd necessarily be easy to pick out random jaywalkers in the backround of a camera even if there weren't issues of the resources involved in reviewing all of the tapes for crimes that were ignored and therefore by definition aren't an obvious incident. And what do you do if you point out a jaywalker in the background and the cop says "oh I just didn't notice that guy"? Can you prove it's racism? You could keep track of how many black vs white jaywalkers he noticed I suppose, but isn't that vulnerable to your objection that this might force a cop to pretend to ignore a black jaywalker if he's afraid of exceeding a quota?

I think in theory having this kind of information would be a great way to prove an individual cop is racially discriminating beyond any serious objection, but how can we practically and reliably obtain it?

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Mar 14, 2015

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

VitalSigns posted:

You guys still aren't talking about the same thing. You are suggesting comparing the officer's citations to demographics/crime rate. He is suggesting directly observing officers. These are not the same thing, and one is not a replacement for the other. There are two problems with your approach, one is that random noise can make racist officers look non-racist, and non-racist officers look racist.* Now a big enough sample size will help with that, but you will need quite a bit of time to gather enough data to make accurate judgements about individuals rather than the department as a whole. The second, and bigger problem is that you are data about crime rates, which is taken from citations, and using that to judge those same citations.

The problem with his idea is that it is really expensive, and if you're only monitoring people some of the time they can just behave when they are being observed, and go back to being racist when they aren't.

*This is a joke, there are no non-racist cops in Ferguson.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

VitalSigns posted:

No I was misunderstanding you. I get what you mean now after rereading a few times: it's not a quota if you observe a police officer, note that he encountered say 10 white jaywalkers and 10 black jaywalkers in a month, but cited 9 black and only 1 white person. Only, how can you possibly enforce this when you're not looking over someone's shoulder? I mean, no one is going to write up an incident report of a crime they ignored. Is the cop going to just straight-up admit everything by turning in a report that says "saw 10 whites jaywalking today but didn't do anything, then cited a black"?

Bodycams? I wouldn't think it'd necessarily be easy to pick out random jaywalkers in the backround of a camera even if there weren't issues of the resources involved in reviewing all of the tapes for crimes that were ignored and therefore by definition aren't an obvious incident. And what do you do if you point out a jaywalker in the background and the cop says "oh I just didn't notice that guy"? Can you prove it's racism? You could keep track of how many black vs white jaywalkers he noticed I suppose, but isn't that vulnerable to your objection that this might force a cop to pretend to ignore a black jaywalker if he's afraid of exceeding a quota?

I think in theory having this kind of information would be a great way to prove an individual cop is racially discriminating beyond any serious objection, but how can we practically and reliably obtain it?

If you've got bodycams on the cop and he's "not noticing" 9 out of 10 white jaywalkers then he should probably be fired for incompetence even if you can't prove it's racism.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Have you ever been in a city? There are lots of people.

How is that incompetence? I have jaywalked literally hundreds of times in my life and been warned exactly once. Now you're telling me that we should review hours of body camera footage, scrutinize it for every possible jaywalking, and fire any cop who didn't warn/cite enough of them?

Man, I think my absurd swearing hypothetical is probably less punitive against all cops than this. We'd pretty much have to fire every cop in the country if we're going to set the bar for jaywalking enforcement at 10%.

semper wifi
Oct 31, 2007
Higher rates of jaywalking citations for blacks sounds pretty bad but really I think it's more likely that it's simply a byproduct of higher black unemployment and lower income, plus a heavier police presence in black neighborhoods. No car ownership plus a lot more free time to spending hanging out/walking around, plus increased police scrutiny - I don't think you need to come up with a big conspiracy to explain the results.

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

semper wifi posted:

Higher rates of jaywalking citations for blacks sounds pretty bad but really I think it's more likely that it's simply a byproduct of higher black unemployment and lower income, plus a heavier police presence in black neighborhoods. No car ownership plus a lot more free time to spending hanging out/walking around, plus increased police scrutiny - I don't think you need to come up with a big conspiracy to explain the results.

It's not a conspiracy when there is a giant rear end report about racial bias in law enforcement.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

You don't need a big conspiracy to explain racism. People are quite capable of being racist all on their own.

Are you denying all of the examples of racist policing in the DOJ report as conspiracy-theory fantasy, or just the 95%-black rate of jaywalking citations specifically? Because I mean there's plenty more examples to choose from.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

semper wifi posted:

Yeah it's not a conspiracy or anything, just institutional racism passed down over the years that fucks blacks over at every step, from education to employment to law enforcement.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Post 9-11 User posted:

Has anything changed or are people endlessly arguing two separate insane ideas:

1) It's okay to assault a police officer
2) It's okay for an officer to get out of his car, pursue, and gun down an unarmed man, claiming self-defense

Okay, I know the answer to that, has anything meaningful happened other than That Guy being probated for continuing to be a racist dingdong?

Nothing has changed.

It is still two groups of people talking past each other.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

VitalSigns posted:

Have you ever been in a city? There are lots of people.

How is that incompetence? I have jaywalked literally hundreds of times in my life and been warned exactly once. Now you're telling me that we should review hours of body camera footage, scrutinize it for every possible jaywalking, and fire any cop who didn't warn/cite enough of them?

Man, I think my absurd swearing hypothetical is probably less punitive against all cops than this. We'd pretty much have to fire every cop in the country if we're going to set the bar for jaywalking enforcement at 10%.

In this hypothetical situation, the cop would also be very clearly noticing 9 out of 10 black jaywalkers, which about ten seconds of paying attention would have told you. If a cop is noticing, stopping and citing 9 out of 10 black jaywalkers, but inexplicably failing to notice 9 out of 10 white jaywalkers, then they're either racist or literally blind.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

No, keep posting, it's making people lose their poo poo even more.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Dabir posted:

In this hypothetical situation, the cop would also be very clearly noticing 9 out of 10 black jaywalkers, which about ten seconds of paying attention would have told you. If a cop is noticing, stopping and citing 9 out of 10 black jaywalkers, but inexplicably failing to notice 9 out of 10 white jaywalkers, then they're either racist or literally blind.

"Those 10 jaywalkers I stopped were walking more brazenly and carelessly and in my situational on-the-ground judgment what they were doing was more hazardous than the 5 jaywalkers I didn't stop, and the other 5 I didn't see because there was a lot going on and I didn't have the luxury of reviewing camera footage for hours. I don't remember what color they were. I don't see race, chief, what am I supposed to do? Just ignore a hazard that could get people hurt if the person causing it has a protected and privileged skin color and I'm over my quota for the day? I'm trying to do my job here, not play social engineer. I can't protect the public if I have to be racist and treat black people doing something more hazardous equally with white people doing something less hazardous."

Seriously, there's so much wiggle-room in reviewing footage and deciding if each case was (a) something a reasonable person should have noticed given the context of the situation and (b) if each situation was alike enough that racism is the only reasonable confounding factor, that what you're really arguing for here is looking at racial disparity in the outcome and assuming racial discrimination (or at least, proceeding policy-wise as if there is racism and training or disciplining the cop). Which is fine with me, obviously, but recognize that you're doing it.

E: And don't get me wrong, I like the idea of monitoring cops and investigating apparent racial discrepancies that come up, especially in a place like Ferguson that's now infamous for it. But the same kind of criticisms about quotas and the unique context of every situation and traffic stop making them incommensurate are going to be leveled at this program: how do we answer them?

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Mar 15, 2015

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

-Troika- posted:

If by "lose your poo poo" you mean mild annoyance at irrelevant attempts to destroy a topic of discussion, in desperate safeguarding of institutional racism, sure.

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

you are so mentally ill

ugh

Watermelon City
May 10, 2009

semper wifi posted:

Well I guess it's a just world then.

tezcat
Jan 1, 2005

-Troika- posted:

It's fascinating really. ActusRhesus claims to help catch child rapist and yet can't even follow forum rules and gets probated after losing her poo poo. Nostalgia4's post was pretty much the same content with a small addition so he is at least smart enough to fly under the radar for now. So Mods know how to use the rules better than lawyers, Aatrek joke, something something.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

semper wifi posted:

it's not really a conspiracy when it's widely known that the police spend more time hassling black people because the white majority of americans think it is both right and just to hassle blacks because they commit more crimes

you just said this, that black people commit more crimes, because they are poor and unemployed

you said that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
if you care about inconsistent and arbitrary moderation then boy howdy something awful is not the forum for you

• Locked thread