Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cichlid the Loach
Oct 22, 2006

Brave heart, Doctor.

caleramaen posted:

Have you seen the last few days of news? This department has no idea what the term 'public relations' even means. Pretty much everything the department has done has made the situation worse.

Pretty much everything the department has done IS the entire situation.

Looking at some of the pictures, the thought popped into my head: This is a police uprising.

Py-O-My posted:

Shots from the Al Jazeera camera as they were attacked last night:

https://twitter.com/ajam/status/499939038238081025

Goddamn, that angle makes it even clearer that there was nobody else around that the cops could even claim to have been aiming at.

Sunset posted:

I do realize that, but the thought of them aiming gas canisters at AJ just because muslims seems mind blowing to me

The police wouldn't have even been able to tell from their position that the news crew was from AJ, would they?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cichlid the Loach
Oct 22, 2006

Brave heart, Doctor.

spamhead80 posted:

The cop is the only one who said that Michael Brown struggled with him. Every eyewitness has a different, but very similar story, that involves no struggling over a gun. Including the guy who was actually right next to him when it all went down. I am basing my beliefs on the majority of the people, because that seems logical to me.

And only even the first shot is in dispute. The shots that actually took Brown's life were fired at a fleeing or surrendering man, even in the cop's version of the story.

Cichlid the Loach
Oct 22, 2006

Brave heart, Doctor.

natetimm posted:

If he fell down right when being shot. I mean, nobody has video of the incident or pictures, nobody knows what really happened, it's all conjecture.

You've seen that crime scene photo with the big line of blood blasted from his head or chest several feet down the pavement, right?

Cichlid the Loach
Oct 22, 2006

Brave heart, Doctor.

Spectacle Rock posted:

Any word on if the officer involved had a dash cam running? Wouldn't that resolve this entire issue if we saw that footage?

He did not. Apparently the Ferugson police department OWNS dash cams and body cams, but basically never even unboxed them, claiming they didn't have the money to do so.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/08/14/us/ferguson-dashcams/index.html

Cichlid the Loach
Oct 22, 2006

Brave heart, Doctor.

natetimm posted:

That guy who shot those kids at a gas station tried pretty much what you're saying and then tried to lie about there being a gun and the jury essentially told him he was full of poo poo and sent him to prison. Depending on your state there's probably a pretty good legal definition of what imminent threat is and no, "black people scare me" doesn't constitute imminent threat. It's not about the person's state of mind it's about the actions of both people and the context surrounding them.

Are you talking about Michael Dunn? He was sent to prison for the attempted murder of the kids who survived, but there was a hung jury on the charge of murder of the kid who was actually killed, and he's going to be tried again on that count next month. So no, they just determined that it was no longer self-defense once the kids were already retreating, but they didn't tell him his "phantom gun invisible to the dozens of other witnesses and capable of dissolving into thin air" story was full of poo poo at all. :smith:

Cichlid the Loach
Oct 22, 2006

Brave heart, Doctor.

natetimm posted:

I'm saying they determined his self-defense story was full of poo poo.

But they didn't. The only charges that made it through did so on the logic that it was "no longer" self defense once the kids were fleeing. But the jury hung on the point of whether it had been self defense to begin with.

E: Dunn has not been convicted of anything yet for the actual killing of the kid who was actually killed.

Cichlid the Loach
Oct 22, 2006

Brave heart, Doctor.
A St. Louis County grand jury could begin hearing evidence as soon as Wednesday:

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/grandy-jury-evidence-wednesday

How would this affect the ongoing federal investigation?

Cichlid the Loach
Oct 22, 2006

Brave heart, Doctor.

It's a c/p from some white supremacist thing. I googled it but like hell am I gonna follow any of those links.

e:f;b

Cichlid the Loach
Oct 22, 2006

Brave heart, Doctor.
What I've heard is that "shoot to wound" also creates a greater risk of bystander injuries, because it's a lot harder to hit a leg or a hand than the center of mass, and every shot that misses is a bullet that could end up in a bystander. Basically it's not "shoot to kill" but "aim for the center of mass."

Cichlid the Loach
Oct 22, 2006

Brave heart, Doctor.

Choadmaster posted:

The shooting happened 100ft from the SUV. Why anyone thinks this means the officer shot from 100 feet is beyond me - all the witnesses have him chasing after/close to Brown. This was pointed out two pages ago.

Shaun King's theory has it that the first burst of shots was from farther away than the magic 35-foot distance, and most or all of them went wild. Then Brown stopped and surrendered, and THEN Wilson approached and shot him at closer range. This is especially sad because it means that if Brown hadn't surrendered, he might not have died.

It doesn't even really matter, though, because whether or not Wilson and Brown were close to each other, they didn't both GET to be 100 feet away from the car without Brown running away.

Cichlid the Loach
Oct 22, 2006

Brave heart, Doctor.

DARPA posted:

Imagine if policing required a 5 year journeyman apprenticeship under a master policeman before getting your gun?

lol cops would actually have to talk to people like human beings.

Whenever I think about it I get bowled over all over again how one of the most consequential jobs there is has no standards. It's given to exactly the people you wouldn't want in it, with such a negligible amount of training.

I don't understand how it's in even rich people's best interests to have a police force that's completely out of control, rather than disciplined and just selectively corrupt. How long before some cops finally brutalize the wrong person?

Cichlid the Loach
Oct 22, 2006

Brave heart, Doctor.

bassguitarhero posted:

This has been super frustrating because they want a few thousand dollars for the documents I'm trying to get, and I don't even have the backing of the AP to try to put some pressure on them.

I'm assuming this charge is per-request per-person, right? Given the number of journos and civil rights organizations on this story, how much do you think the Ferguson PD is profiting off of this right now? Ugh.

There should be (if there isn't) some kind of press pool where they at least coordinate who gets what documents so the FPD isn't getting thousands of bucks multiple times over for each requested document. Peer-to-peer journalism.

Cichlid the Loach
Oct 22, 2006

Brave heart, Doctor.

bassguitarhero posted:

took the bullets as evidence and "lost" them

By the way, has there been any follow-up on this? I can't find anything.

Cichlid the Loach
Oct 22, 2006

Brave heart, Doctor.

Zwiftef posted:

Welp, the Chief of Police here in Baton Rouge quietly changed the letter of resignation from the cop who texted "I wish someone would pull a Ferguson on them and take them out. I hate looking at those African monkeys at work...I enjoy arresting those thugs with their saggy pants." about the (majority black) people he was supposed to be protecting to a letter of 'retirement'. Presumably he'll get his full pension.

On the bright side, at least he won't be on the street again next week with a different department?

Cichlid the Loach
Oct 22, 2006

Brave heart, Doctor.
Or the PD could make up the shortfall by leaning even more on fines and asset forfeiture.

e:f;b

Cichlid the Loach
Oct 22, 2006

Brave heart, Doctor.
About the bail and defense funds, how does that get to the protesters? Like do the fund people show up at the jail and slap down a bunch of money and say "Here, I'm covering the next bunch of people who were arrested at the protests?" Or do the protesters have to know to avail themselves of it?

Cichlid the Loach
Oct 22, 2006

Brave heart, Doctor.
I suspected the reason he didn't "just obey the officers and get out of the car" was because he was afraid of these cops who were clearly on some kind of rampage. Well, lo and behold.

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2014/10/07/1334990/-Yet-another-assault-on-a-black-man-Jamal-Jones-by-police

http://www.msnbc.com/msnbc/family-sues-hammond-police-over-traffic-stop-violence

The man was riding passenger to his girlfriend who was actually driving and pulled over for the seatbelt violation. They checked her license and then asked him for ID, which he didn't have because he had recently gotten a ticket, so he reached toward the back of his car(!!!) to get the ticket out of his backpack to show them. When they drew their guns and told him to get out of the car, he refused because he was afraid for his safety (I wonder why!) and asked them to send a supervisor. At some point the woman called 911 because she was afraid for their lives, and she can be heard in the background of the video of what happened next.

Cichlid the Loach
Oct 22, 2006

Brave heart, Doctor.
The police statement refers to a physical struggle in which Vonderrit's hooded sweatshirt came off. If the guy in that convenience store photo is indeed Vonderrit, he doesn't even have a sweatshirt...?

Cichlid the Loach
Oct 22, 2006

Brave heart, Doctor.
Any updates on the suicide who shot himself in the chest while sitting in the back of a cop car with his hands cuffed behind his back?

Cichlid the Loach
Oct 22, 2006

Brave heart, Doctor.
My favorite part is the little poke about "Officer Blahblah waited to fire because he wanted to make sure it was a gun," as if recent publicity has made cops overly cautious and too gunshy and making sure the other person actually has a gun isn't, y'know, exactly should be done before violently ending their life.

Cichlid the Loach
Oct 22, 2006

Brave heart, Doctor.
Why did the prosecutor even bring Wilson in to offer a defense at a grand jury hearing? How is that not inherently hinky?

Cichlid the Loach
Oct 22, 2006

Brave heart, Doctor.
What I don't get is that there is essentially no new information here. Wilson repeated to the grand jury the same story that he was already claiming all along. How are people treating this as some new "proof?"

There WAS that new witness who spoke to the NYTimes. It's really weird because people are seizing on the two new details—Brown held his hands to the side, not straight up(!!!), and Brown took a few steps toward Wilson after turning around—as substantiation for the narrative that Brown charged Wilson. But a bunch of paragraphs into the article when they get around to actually quoting him, what he SAYS is that after Brown was shot, turned around, and was shot some more, he staggered forward a few steps "to get his feet" while Wilson yelled at him to stop, then Wilson fired a bunch more shots as Brown continued falling to the ground.

And the fact has NEVER CHANGED that Wilson fired at least some of the shots as Brown was running away.

Cichlid the Loach
Oct 22, 2006

Brave heart, Doctor.
Recall the testimony of the most recent witness to speak to the press—that, after being shot, Brown staggered forward a couple steps while trying to stay upright, as Wilson screamed at him to stop. So Wilson kept shooting him. I think it's entirely possible that Wilson really did "see" Brown coming at him threateningly. Some part of his brain just reacted as if he were facing a zombie or a T-100: "poo poo, it's still moving!"

The rule isn't "shoot to kill" but when they're trained to see the barest movements indicative of life as evidence of a possible threat, it does pretty much amount to that. Like, it seems like it's not even "shoot until the threat is stopped," it's "shoot until all possible traces of perceptual ambiguity are neutralized." Which usually necessitates one party being dead.

Cichlid the Loach
Oct 22, 2006

Brave heart, Doctor.

mllaneza posted:

A hostage was used as a human shield and was hit 10 times by police gunfire; she died as a result of her injuries.

gently caress. I want to cry.

I know cops are all human beings and are all different and some are good people etc. etc. etc. but one of the things that spooks me the most about stuff like this is, like... is this going to haunt these guys for the rest of their lives? Even if they are legally and morally exonerated, are they not traumatized by killing an innocent human being, especially when that's exactly what their job is ostensibly to prevent?

I have never heard of a cop retiring after one of these "accidental" killings. Like, if I worked at loving McDonald's and somehow in that capacity accidentally caused the death or severe injury of another person, I don't think I could go back to that job ever again. I should think a good person who truly unintentionally ends the life of an innocent would never want to carry a gun again.

Cichlid the Loach
Oct 22, 2006

Brave heart, Doctor.

chitoryu12 posted:

The irony is that the United States lambastes other nations for committing human rights violations and holds itself up as the model of a modern first world nation when it was built on the back of slavery (and continued wage slavery and disenfranchising minorities and the poor in modern days) and continues to regularly murder innocent people and spy on its own citizens.

The U.S. isn't the worst country on the world, but damned if it doesn't have the biggest divide between presentation and reality. What other country has so much rah-rah about individual rights and due process and equality and freedom while actually being such a top offender in those same areas?

It's actually pretty effective, though. I'm ashamed to say that it wasn't until fairly recently that I accepted the reality of the U.S. systemic human rights abuses, and a big part of that was because "that can't be true, human rights are what this country is ABOUT!"

Cichlid the Loach
Oct 22, 2006

Brave heart, Doctor.
A GJ isn't there to debate whether the evidence has merit or not. Just whether there's enough evidence at all TO debate.

Kalman posted:

Fire forensics

Yeah, drat, I was gonna link earlier to this but I was reading on my phone—the New Yorker had an incredible article about this some years ago. It's long but it's incredibly gripping and seriously among the NYer's must-read pieces, next to their 2013 exposé about civil asset forfeiture.

Cichlid the Loach
Oct 22, 2006

Brave heart, Doctor.

Waco Panty Raid posted:

Anyway I thought I was largely pinning the shooting on the 911 caller?

Thing is, even if the caller is 100% deliberately, maliciously lying, it's criminally negligent of the police not to make their own assessment of the situation when they get there. Otherwise you're basically giving every single nutcase the ability to murder anyone they like at any time just for the price of a 911 call.

Cichlid the Loach
Oct 22, 2006

Brave heart, Doctor.

Wadjamaloo posted:

The 10 dollars a day is definitely some bullshit. I would be interested in being on a jury but I'm not willing to use up my vacation time to do so. I've gotten out of duty all 5 times I was called.

I think it's more than that, at least where I am. A bunch of years ago I served on a grand jury and IIRC it was $40 per day for half a day's work. So, actually about even with my near-minimum-wage job at the time.

(Special narcotics unit, so it works differently from regular grand jury. There's no selection process and nobody gets disqualified. You're not on a specific case, you just attend every morning, all morning, for a month, with the same group of like 20-30 people, and hear whatever cases they bring to you each day, which could be several or none at all. They were all street-level buy-and-bust cases that followed the exact same template. It was pretty much a month of playing card games with the other jurors, occasionally punctuated by a case.)

Cichlid the Loach
Oct 22, 2006

Brave heart, Doctor.

Wadjamaloo posted:

Not here.
Source

The good news is that if you read a few questions up many employers pay their employees for jury service. no they don't.

Like I said, I do think it would be fun, and I would enjoying taking part in our legal system, but I just can't justify losing so much money to do it.

EDIT: Its also pretty crazy that you don't even get paid until the service is complete. I feel really sorry for those people that get stuck on months long trials.

Jesus. $15 a day, that is hosed. That could push a family into catastrophe. I think there was a means to get out of it if you showed it would be a hardship for you.

Cichlid the Loach
Oct 22, 2006

Brave heart, Doctor.

lurker1981 posted:

(although I suppose that the other cops might not respond positively to pretty much anyone of any race that killed a cop)

Last week they took Eric Frein, who shot two cops and then hid in the woods*, alive.

*and is white

Cichlid the Loach
Oct 22, 2006

Brave heart, Doctor.
Y'know, I'd be afraid to go outside in Ferguson too, but not because of the protesters.

It's looking like the moment a non-indictment is announced, the police are gonna straight-up nuke the town without waiting for any provocation.

Cichlid the Loach
Oct 22, 2006

Brave heart, Doctor.

quote:

J.W. managed to "capture" a few of Hayden's pubic hairs during the incident. ... J.W. immediately went to a Subway across the street and got a bag to put the pubic hairs in. She also went to the emergency room where she was visited by police.

As a sort of silver lining, can we just take a moment to appreciate how kickass this woman is?

Cichlid the Loach
Oct 22, 2006

Brave heart, Doctor.
Pretty much what all the witnesses so far have said is that Brown was running, Wilson shot at him, and Brown jerked as if he had been hit, stopped, and put his hands up. It could have been that he was hit, or it could have been that he jerked as an "ohfuck" reflex and the witnesses reported that he was hit because that's what it looked like to them.

Also, I'm starting to think that maybe after the first volley Brown was stagger-falling in Wilson's direction, and that Wilson, with some kind of amped-up magical-Negro/zombie/"oh poo poo it's still moving" vision, "saw" that as Brown charging at him. I think it's very possible that Wilson even believed it.

Cichlid the Loach
Oct 22, 2006

Brave heart, Doctor.
I do not know what that cop should have done, but for myself I think I would honestly rather be killed by a child than kill a child. Reason #1 of many why I could/should never be a cop, I suppose.

Also that cop with the in-case-of-apocalypse rape list is gonna give me nightmares tonight. All it is is a statement that as soon as he's in a situation where he knows he'll get away with it, he WILL rape someone. Christ. :stare:

Cichlid the Loach
Oct 22, 2006

Brave heart, Doctor.

Bluedeanie posted:

My girlfriend makes statements like this

and it really bums me the gently caress out

dtmfa

Cichlid the Loach
Oct 22, 2006

Brave heart, Doctor.
Cop car on fire. Welp, I know which of these images is gonna be on all the front pages tomorrow.

Cichlid the Loach
Oct 22, 2006

Brave heart, Doctor.

GWBBQ posted:

They're saying tear gas was fired into the smashed car to get people away from it and that's what started the fire.

Do you think that distinction is going to matter?

Cichlid the Loach
Oct 22, 2006

Brave heart, Doctor.

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

Why aren't they putting this car fire out?

optics

Cichlid the Loach
Oct 22, 2006

Brave heart, Doctor.
I don't get cable, are there any police at the stores that are being looted, or are they all busy teargassing journalists?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cichlid the Loach
Oct 22, 2006

Brave heart, Doctor.
So are there any cops at all near the actual looting?

• Locked thread