Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

D_I posted:

It just takes one "true american" with poor trigger discipline to ignite this powderkeg.

Funny how the Oath Keepers haven't come to Ferguson.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Zeitgueist posted:

You hadn't already sorted that out?

no denying it

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Amish posted:

Not sure if it's been posted here, but I've been watching this stream:

http://new.livestream.com/accounts/9035483/events/3271930

Echoing the reports that the police just told them to turn off all cameras and recording devices.

same as rawstory

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOSb4DxBfGo

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Live conference with County PD:

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/watch-live-ferguson-police-identify-officer-who-shot-michael-brown

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Releasing dispatch records and video re: strong-arm robbery in local convenience mart on Aug. 9

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Officer who shot Brown was responding to robbery call 45 minutes earlier. Dispatch had given description of suspect. Haven't said what description was.

e: did not describe circumstances of shooting

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Officer who shot Brown was Darren Wilson.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
No questions.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
They haven't released tape from the robbery yet; unclear whether they're going to be alleging that Brown matched suspect description.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

bencreateddisco posted:

cigars

they're claiming this is him

Michael Brown's body in the street: http://i.imgur.com/J4bMwXb.jpg

Looks like he's wearing the same clothes, sandals

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I think it's a real stretch to identify the footwear from that photo, it's just a blur.

check your eyesight

you can clearly see the straps

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

On Terra Firma posted:

If that is him, why the gently caress would he do that? Why, just days before going to college, would he decide to rob a convenience store for cigars...?

If I had to completely speculate, pissed off that he was being accused of stealing the cigars when he handed them to Johnson, so he thought gently caress it?

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

RevKrule posted:

He was not identified as a suspect in the robbery. The robbery is a totally different event at the time of the shooting and was only afterward coincidently tied together. Did Mike Brown commit robbery? Probably. Was Mike Brown shot and killed? Yes. Are these two facts related? No.

The police logs indicate that Wilson left a sick call (i.e., assisting someone needing medical attention) due to the robbery call going out, including a description. It is likely that Wilson accosted Brown thinking that Brown was the person responsible for the robbery.

e: Description went out at 11:57. Wilson got dispatched at 1:32, showed up at 1:57, and reported shots fired at 2:11.

WhiskeyJuvenile fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Aug 15, 2014

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Edminster posted:

Wilson accosting Brown occurred hours after the robbery call, and from initial reports he only stopped Brown to tell him to get out of the street and walk on the sidewalk.

Check... something happened at 12:11.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

DARPA posted:

"The initial contact between Mr. Brown and the Officer was not related to the robbery."

lol

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Ferguson PD Chief: Michael Brown was killed for the crime of walking in the middle of the street

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Seriously, the police chief just said "they were stopped because they were walking in the middle of the street blocking traffic"

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/7im/timelines/499639344613695488

e: this is admissible hearsay evidence, no? present sense impression

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Evil_Greven posted:

The Wikipedia timeline on the shooting has changed based on this article it seems, from 2pm to 12pm.

Based on an eyewitness on twitter, it was noon (tweets showing up 1pm EST, which would be 12pm central) https://twitter.com/7im/timelines/499639344613695488

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Well, he's right. We did arrest Hussein, not shoot him in the back when he was running away.

e: Black man not eloquent on live tv :lol:

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Swisher Sweets is a brand; they make different sizes, from cigarillos to blunts and larger

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HktV2yGtLv8

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

EX250 Type R posted:

Has the timeline been elaborated on or are the police still saying the shooting at 2pm happened 10 minutes after the 'robbery' at 1150am

shooting happened around 12:03

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Congress could mandate it under the 14th amendment

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

L-Boned posted:

Oh, ok. I haven't seen those. Link to them?

https://twitter.com/7im/timelines/499639344613695488

The first tweet was 12:03, a minute before a second officer showed up.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

KernelSlanders posted:

This guy giving medical advice has no idea what he's talking about.

acidic capsaicin :allears:

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Family coroner is of the opinion that the last shots were the two to the head, and that only the shot to the top of the head was a fatal wound.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

amanasleep posted:

His preliminary read is that Brown was either surrendering or charging forward. Major facts IMO are that none of the shots hit him in the back.

The wound through his forearm was either from the back or while Brown was in a defensive/surrender posture

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
"If you're carrying around street signs that you illegally removed from the road, you may be subject to arrest." Also, I can't hear poo poo on the Vice stream

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Vaah posted:

This is getting really loving bad, what the gently caress just happened

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
NO I AM MIKE BROWN DON'T TEXT AND DRIVE

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Well, if there wasn't a robbery because he paid for the cigars, there was no strong arm robbery

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Now I'm wondering exactly what you call it if a 17 year old lays down the price of tobacco and takes tobacco and walks out of the store but can't legally buy tobacco. It's not a robbery since he paid for it. What is it?

minor in possession

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
http://blogs.riverfronttimes.com/dailyrft/2014/08/mya_aaten-white_shooting_victim_from_aug_12_says_police_have_not_interviewed_her.php

quote:

Here's what Mya Aaten-White remembers from the night of August 12: It was about 11 p.m. She was walking back to her car on Highmont Drive near the burned-out QuikTrip after attending a Mike Brown rally in Ferguson. There were a few people in front of her. Suddenly, shots rang out. Everyone dropped to the ground and covered their heads. When she sat up, Aaten-White knew something was wrong.

"Oh my God, you're shot in the head," she recalls a young man telling her.

Several young men carried her into a nearby house where the residents called 911. She says police officers -- she believes they were St. Louis County police -- interviewed her briefly before she was taken to the hospital. She was able to take the above photo in the ambulance and upload it to Instagram. It went viral.

Now, a little over a week later, Aaten-White wants to know why no one in law enforcement has followed up with her about her case. Stranger still, she says, she doesn't know what happened to the bullet that doctors removed from her skull.

"Someone has the bullet. Someone has the bullet, and it was an officer," says her attorney, Marwan Porter.

Aaten-White is a St. Louis native who lives in Florissant. She says she's the great-granddaughter of local jazz legend Mae Wheeler and works at a law firm. She says she went out that Tuesday night in support of Michael Brown's family.

The bullet lodged against her skull, near the middle of her forehead. Aaten-White says it took doctors about a day to decide that it was safe to remove it. She says when she woke up from the surgery on Wednesday evening, August 13, the doctors and nurses told her police officers came and confiscated the bullet as evidence. As she recovered, she says, she waited for those officers to return and do a full interview about the incident.

"I would ask every day while I was there," she says, "'Did anyone from the police department come? Have they called for me? Are they going to be here today?' And nobody could give me an answer."

Media reports have characterized Aaten-White's shooting as a "drive-by." From Post-Dispatch reporting:

quote:

It appeared to be a drive-by shooting. Police said they were looking for four or five men. The woman was shot once and is expected to survive. It was unknown if the shooting was related to the protests in the area.

Aaten-White says she didn't see a car or a weapon, and the only "four or five" young black men she observed were the ones who brought her to safety.

"Those words never came out of my mouth. I didn't know what people were talking about. I never said it was a drive-by," she says. "Those young men carried me and saved my life."

Aaten-White is home now, recuperating, though she did appear at a church rally with Michael Brown's family. She also retained Marwan Porter, a Florida-based attorney who specializes in cases involving police misconduct and personal injury. He's in town now, and Daily RFT spoke with him yesterday as he drove to the Ferguson Police Department to try to obtain Aaten-White's case files.

"We want to find out who and what agency took possession of the bullet," he said. "We want to identify who was responsible for firing the weapon that ended up with a bullet being lodged in the front of Mya's head."

When we spoke with him several hours later, the story just got weirder.

"I've talked to both the St. Louis County Police Department and Ferguson...they have no record...no file number, no report," he said. "They don't have anything."

Daily RFT contacted Ferguson Police Department press officer Tim Zoll who referred us to the city's new media representative, Common Ground PR. The number went straight to voicemail both times we tried. Next we tried the St. Louis County Police Department. Press officer Brian Schellman emailed back that he believes this is a Ferguson Police Department case, but our request is being forwarded to their keeper of records for verification. He warned they are inundated with requests and answering may take time.

"It almost seems like, if, you know, if I did not follow up with this, they were hoping it would disappear," says Porter. "I don't know what the reasons are."

Porter did not yet want to give Daily RFT the name of the hospital where Aaten-White was treated, but he says he's going back there to request records to see who was admitted to retrieve the bullet.

Meanwhile, Aaten-White says she has no interest in either Ferguson or St. Louis County handling her case from now on. Porter says he'd like to see federal investigators from the U.S. Department of Justice take over.

"I want the situation to be investigated fully, and I want to find out who shot me," says Aaten-White.

Obviously this is (yet another) developing situation, and we'll update as we learn more.

loving Keystone Kops

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Xandu posted:

ABC News is also reporting a "serious facial injury" on Wilson, based on anon sources.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Xandu posted:

Don't know if it really explains the bullet going from his eye to his collarbone, though.

Probably in the same position as the top to the head. The bullet traveled straight down his face.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

The problem with that article is that the only people (to my knowledge) being called outside agitators are RCP shitheads and the looters. It's not an ad hominem, it's an accurate description in that case.

e: the violent protesters are white anarchists who are targeting police militarization while claiming that race isn't an issue

WhiskeyJuvenile fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Aug 21, 2014

• Locked thread