Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.

Kallikrates posted:

Maybe this is the wrong thread, but I want to visualize some data, the visualization isn't the problem (yet) the problem would be modeling data.

I want to visualize accelerometer data as positions, (this data can be cleaned and improved with on device magnetometer, barometer, and gyroscope data), by integrating twice and doing more math. Normally this wouldn't be possible(remotely accurate) because the small % errors at each tick cause huge errors when integrated twice. However I know several facts about the movement I am trying to capture that might help me in modeling it. For example approximate distance and target location will probably be known ahead of time, and once moved to a location the device will return near to the starting point. Starting point is also 0,0,0. Is anyone familiar with work like this or could point to resources?

Kalman filters are inefficient for what you need. The Mahoney-Madgwick algorithm will be a good choice, and they're really quite light and accurate. http://www.x-io.co.uk/res/doc/madgwick_internal_report.pdf

Don't use the provided code, it's subtly wrong in a really irritating way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007
Revolution Analytics released Revolution R Open 8 yesterday. It boasts, among other things, improved performance over base R.

Edit: This might help.

http://mran.revolutionanalytics.com/documents/rro/open/

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Sinestro posted:

Don't use the provided code, it's subtly wrong in a really irritating way.

How so?

Tortilla Maker
Dec 13, 2005
Un Desmadre A Toda Madre
I think this thread would be a good place for this question (more so than the Excel thread?).

I'm trying to create a (linear scatter) chart to show trends over a 50-year period. Running into problems in getting it to look the way I envision it.

For example, say I want to show the most popular pizza topping between 1950-2000. I have a column with years and a column for the pizza topping.

In my mind it would be years at the bottom (x-axis) with the scatter marks appearing in one of six spots in the y-axis. The chart would have a line connecting the different marks to visually show popular opinion jumping around year to year.

Right now, I have scatter marks but no line connecting them when they differ year to year.

My questions:
- is a linear scatter chart the best means to depict this? (If not, what is?)
- how can I fix my data set or chart settings to depict this?
- am I even using the correct terminology (linear scatter chart?)

Thank you!

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

Awesome thread with perfect timing!
I was just getting in to Google Charts because I am scrub-tier at Javascript. I learned jQuery first, and D3 is looking really promising as a gradual transition to develop my own visualizations with DOM flexibility.

Jo
Jan 24, 2005

:allears:
Soiled Meat
This might be better in 'post pictures of stuff you're working on', but it's pretty so I think it goes here.

I'm working on a perceptual image hash like pHash for an image search engine. This is a visualization of the distance matrix for a few hundred sample images. I have a list of 1000 images. Each image is permuted in one of five ways (ident, scale, zoom, rotate, noise) and hashed. The hashes are next to each other in a big list. Then the inter-hash distance is calculated. Big distances are lighter. A hash obvious has zero distance from itself to itself. An ideal hash function would return zero for each 5x5 region about the line x=y and one for everything outside of that. A really strict hash function (like a cryptographic one) returns white everywhere except the identity.

Here's pHash. It's really good:

Here's my hash. It's okay:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Where do people get "ideas" for data visualization projects? I don't have any pressing need to visualize something, but I still want to practice it. I've looked at a bunch of data sets like government stuff, agriculture, CPIs and poo poo, but nothing's speaking to me.

bartkusa
Sep 25, 2005

Air, Fire, Earth, Hope

Pollyanna posted:

Where do people get "ideas" for data visualization projects? I don't have any pressing need to visualize something, but I still want to practice it. I've looked at a bunch of data sets like government stuff, agriculture, CPIs and poo poo, but nothing's speaking to me.

It helps to have a pressing need.

First, ask a question. Then, build a visualization to try to answer it.

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007

Pollyanna posted:

What "industry" are you in? There's countless opportunities for applying visualization in every single problem domain. If you want some inspiration about what's happening in academia, check out the IEEE Visualization Conference at ieeevis.org (particularly the VAST and InfoVis sub conferences, SciVis is a bit less application driven).

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.

fritz posted:

How so?

It's been a while, but I think there are a couple of flipped signs in the manually unrolled and super optimized math section. Unless you're trying to run it from a 8 bit hellmicro, there's not much reason to do it like that instead of using functions.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Pollyanna posted:

I do that every day. I draw diagrams on graph paper, about 2D graphics rendering algorithms, VGA display mode timing information, register maps and memory layouts.

It starts with a need, then some pen and pencil to figure out what I want to see, and then code. Sometimes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine
There's a new book on Data Viz by Tamara Munzner, possibly the first comprehensive textbook covering every aspect. Harvard's CS department is using it and industry professionals are excited.

http://www.amazon.com/Visualization-Analysis-Design-Peters-Series/dp/1466508914

Analytic Engine fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Jan 26, 2015

• Locked thread