Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
No More Toast
May 11, 2013

Atheist! Imperialist!!

So it looks like I have bed bugs.

I've done some Googling, but there's a lot of contradictory stuff out there and a lot of websites either have very little information or are trying to sell a product to kill/prevent bed bugs so I'm not sure if they're exactly trustworthy. Some of the sites contradict each other as well, so I thought I'd give SA a try. Basically what I'd like to know is:

-What are goons' experiences with bed bugs? I don't know anyone that's ever encountered them before and although my landlord is confident they'll be gone after a couple of treatments I've heard that they're notoriously hard to get rid of.
-How do you prevent bed bugs? I've found things like mattress protectors online but have no idea if they actually work or not.
-How can I stop myself from spreading bed bugs? I've discovered this at possibly the worst time because my lease is ending in a month's time. I have a new place sorted out but I'm hesitant to move anything across in case I spread the infestation there too. I also don't want to be 'patient zero' and am avoiding going to any other houses at the moment.

My place is being examined and treated in the coming week and I'll obviously ask the exterminators for advice too, but I'd also just like some stories of personal experience. I've been told that bed bugs can be even in the cleanest houses but I still feel pretty gross and horrible at the moment. The temptation just to burn everything I own is definitely growing, so some success stories would definitely help!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer
An ex of mine had bedbugs and it was a nightmare. Took three years of treatments, cleaning, putting poo poo in airtight bags in a storage unit, etc. Just burn your place down with everything you own in it and walk naked to your next apartment, seriously.

edit: As for advice: If the infestation isn't that bad you may have an easier time getting rid of them. Put your bed frame up on stands specifically made for this, it traps the bugs. Put everything you don't need for the next year in airtight bags in a storage unit for at least 12 months. Wash all of your current clothes and sheets multiple times with hot water before bringing them to your new place. Don't sit or put things on the floor.

I actually found the anxiety they caused to be much worse than the actual bugs. I actually don't ever remember being bit when I slept over there. Expect every spec of dust or little spider to suddenly be a bedbug for a while. Good luck!

hot sauce fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Aug 13, 2014

physeter
Jan 24, 2006

high five, more dead than alive

hot sauce posted:

Put everything you don't need for the next year in airtight bags in a storage unit for at least 12 months. Wash all of your current clothes and sheets multiple times with hot water before bringing them to your new place.
This is good advice, make sure it's a NON air-conditioned unit. These bugs don't like too much heat.

Did not work:

Anything I bought at Home Depot

Did work:

Isolating their food source (the little girl),
Closing off the room,
Putting baby powder dusted plastic containers under the legs of every other bed in the house,
Moving all other beds in the house away from the walls,
Dusting everything lightly in diamatecous earth (don't forget air vents and tops of door frames),
Washing everything washable in the house in hot water, then drying at hot temps (did this repeatedly),
Keeping the dog out of the area entirely,
Doing monthly spot checks of the usual hiding places.

The mattress & box spring I threw away. I haven't seen one dead or alive in about 9 months.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Get a reputable exterminator, and use it as a good excuse to purge a lot of poo poo you haven't used in a whole

horribleslob
Nov 23, 2004
I'd rather have the clap.

Wash everything. Never stop washing.

Throw away everything. Your bed, frame, furniture, etc. Everything.

If you live in an apartment odds are your neighbors have them too. Bed bugs spread like mold and roaches. The entire building must be treated otherwise they'll return for your tangy goon blood.

horribleslob
Nov 23, 2004
I'd rather have the clap.

Wash everything. Never stop washing.

Throw away everything. Your bed, frame, furniture, etc. Everything. Don't stop.

If you live in an apartment odds are your neighbors have them too. Bed bugs spread like mold and roaches. The entire building must be treated otherwise they'll return for your tangy goon blood.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!
Make sure to collect some in a jar of rubbing alcohol, entomologists really like having specimens in our collections :spergin:

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
Burn your house down and boil anything you want to keep, like children or pets.

Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

Hold the newsreader's nose squarely, waiter, or friendly milk will countermand my trousers.

Rhymenoserous posted:

Burn your house down and boil anything you want to keep, like children or pets.

P. much this.

it took 3 chemical treatments and a heat treatment to get rid of them in my place.

Nothing over the counter works, and you'll just get the real exterminator pissed that you drove them all into all the nooks and crannies if you try. Call the exterminator, they'll tell you what they expect of you, and hope for the best.

BigBobio
May 1, 2009
I had them in my apartment, got them from the unit below me. After three months of treatment without improvement, I decided to move to a new (uninfested) apartment in a different building. Fumigated the moving truck with vikane, killed all the bed bugs dead. Fumigation is the most effect and thorough treatment. It is also the most expensive

Nothing over the counter will work. Call an exterminator. Run all your clothing on hot through a dryer. You don't need to wash them on hot, but make sure the clothes get real hot in the dryer (as in, it hurts to touch them when you take them out), something like 120F for 20 minutes. Then store them in sealed plastic bags. You can also use a PackTite (http://www.packtite.com/) to kill the bugs off your clothing/possessions. Throw out crap you don't need.

lexan
Apr 24, 2004

Someday I'll be a big producer on Broadway, and you'll be singin' your opera in the street with a tin cup in your hand!

BigBobio posted:

You can also use a PackTite (http://www.packtite.com/) to kill the bugs off your clothing/possessions. Throw out crap you don't need.

Some exterminators have a facility that is basically a giant Packtite for people in situations like yours. Basically a large heated garage where they will zap all your furniture before you move it to your new place. Heat is the most effective treatment.

In the meantime, the advice everyone has given is good. Seal your mattress and box spring in a cover rated for bed bugs. Wash and dry your sheets daily. Wash and dry all your clothes, then seal them in plastic bags.

Here's how my wife and I handled the clothing situation when we had them a few years ago: we each selected a week's worth of work-appropriate clothing and two sets of tshirts and shorts to wear around the house. We kept those in some of those giant sized Ziploc bags as they are easily resealable; everything else we double-bagged in lawn bags that we would not open until the exterminator said we were clear. Every day when we got home from work, we would change into our house clothes, and immediately launder our sheets, last night's house clothes, and the day's work clothes, then return them all to the sealed Ziploc bags immediately. So that way we always had uncontaminated clothes to wear to work.

Avoid the temptation to sleep in another room. It will buy you a night or two of comfortable sleep but it will also give them an incentive to spread around to look for you, which will make extermination more challenging.

We were very fortunate and our infestation only lasted six weeks. Even so, it was pretty miserable. That was three years ago, and I still panic if I feel the slightest itch at night. Good luck.

fan of the browns
Apr 6, 2012

my enemy...
the enemy of every human who has ever lived...
this is the life-force that watches over the Dinosaurs.
Dude, I am so sorry. Bed bugs are loving awful.

My suggestion:

1.) Raise your bed off the ground if it isn't already. It'll make it at least slightly harder for those fuckers to eat you. Also, look into getting a plastic mattress cover (made for kids who pee the bed). Plastic is best because you want to suffocate them.

2.) Try this:
http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2013/08/130809-bedbug-diy-trap-detector-science/

It's supposed to work. I had bed bugs before this came out but Vaseline on the legs, powders, etc. did nothing.

3.) Bag everything except a few work outfits. Wash those every night and bag everything else. If you have somewhere you can store your stuff, keep it there. Outdoors if possible to kill them with heat/suffocation.

Godspeed.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer
My roommate spotted the ones in his room very early. We went HAM with diatemaceous earth, built interceptors and traps, bought a portable steamer and steamed anything that looked vaguely bedbugesque, and after a month and a half, had an exterminator come by with a bedbug-detecting dog. We have managed to contain it to one room (keeping in mind the things we did we did to all of the adjoining rooms, too).

No More Toast
May 11, 2013

Atheist! Imperialist!!

Thanks for the advice everyone. I was expecting the prognosis to be bad so at least I feel a bit more prepared now. The exterminators are from my local council so I'm guessing they should know what they're doing, especially as they treat bed bugs for free because they really don't want them to spread. Unfortunately they can't come for another week and I've still no idea how bad the infestation is. Hopefully I've caught them early but it's difficult to tell.

Lief posted:

I think I might have picked them up from my neighbours actually, but I think only my flat is going to be treated so I'm pretty pleased I'm moving out.

BigBobio posted:

You can also use a PackTite (http://www.packtite.com/) to kill the bugs off your clothing/possessions.

That sounds great but unfortunately isn't available in the UK. I would probably buy one in a heartbeat if they were though, because at the moment I'm worried even my handbag could be carrying them. (I kept all my bags under my bed and although I've examined them for bugs and found nothing, apparently the nymphs and eggs can be hard to spot sometimes.)

lexan posted:

Some exterminators have a facility that is basically a giant Packtite for people in situations like yours. Basically a large heated garage where they will zap all your furniture before you move it to your new place. Heat is the most effective treatment.

In the meantime, the advice everyone has given is good. Seal your mattress and box spring in a cover rated for bed bugs. Wash and dry your sheets daily. Wash and dry all your clothes, then seal them in plastic bags.

I might call up other exterminators and see if they could heat treat my things before I move - I doubt it's something the council offers and would be a great peace of mind. I didn't even think anything like that would be possible, so thanks! The advice about clothing is great too, I'm going to get some vacuum sealed bags today. I'll see if I can find some diatemaceous earth too, which I'll probably use in my new place when I move, just to be safe.

himajinga
Mar 19, 2003

Und wenn du lange in einen Schuh blickst, blickt der Schuh auch in dich hinein.

No More Toast posted:

That sounds great but unfortunately isn't available in the UK. I would probably buy one in a heartbeat if they were though, because at the moment I'm worried even my handbag could be carrying them. (I kept all my bags under my bed and although I've examined them for bugs and found nothing, apparently the nymphs and eggs can be hard to spot sometimes.)

If your handbags can take heat, heat treat them, otherwise they're a lost cause unless you can seal them away with Nuvan strips or something similar for a LONG time to ensure that it penetrates the nooks and crannies of the bags. We had to seal our records away with Nuvan for almost a year after we heat treated everything that could be heat treated to ensure they were clean.

Trompe le Monde
Nov 4, 2009

You have my sympathy op. Previous advice is good. My own experience, ended up throwing out my bed, chucking almost everything I owned that wasn't essential into storage for more than a year and moving. Even after that, every little tickle had me paranoid that I hadn't managed to get rid of them. They really are the worst, I wouldn't wish them on my worst enemy if only because that might marginally increase the possibility of getting then again.

Aggressive pricing
Feb 25, 2008
Start eating them, once you see them as food they go from pests to a crunchy snack.

Scald
May 5, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 26 years!

Aggressive pricing posted:

Start eating them, once you see them as food they go from pests to a crunchy snack.

Try to find another household pest, lock them in a plastic container with bedbugs and see who eats who. My own data showed that black carpet beetle larvae kill bedbugs, and will eat them, but it is ultimately not enough for them to properly subsist on.

lexan
Apr 24, 2004

Someday I'll be a big producer on Broadway, and you'll be singin' your opera in the street with a tin cup in your hand!

No More Toast posted:

Thanks for the advice everyone. I was expecting the prognosis to be bad so at least I feel a bit more prepared now. The exterminators are from my local council so I'm guessing they should know what they're doing, especially as they treat bed bugs for free because they really don't want them to spread. Unfortunately they can't come for another week and I've still no idea how bad the infestation is. Hopefully I've caught them early but it's difficult to tell.

I don't know what the laws are like in the UK, but in the US, I would demand that the landlord get an exterminator to my place the day after the infestation was reported. A week is a silly amount of time to have to wait for that. I would definitely make clear that I'd be initiating a rent escrow action so that the landlord knows they won't see a dime of my rent until the infestation is cleared up--that will give them an incentive to act promptly. I'm particularly alarmed by your statement that the landlord expects them to be gone after a couple treatments; this suggests s/he doesn't have much experience. Bed bug eggs can take three weeks to hatch, and then another week before they reach the stage of life where they start biting, so any declaration that you're clear earlier than that is premature.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
Burn the house down with yourself inside. Best quarantine action available.

I love bugs and critters of all sorts but bedbugs are one of my few legitimate night terror inducing fears.

Eien Ni Hen
Jul 23, 2013
I had bedbugs in my apartment and luckily they were fairly easy to get rid of.

My wife and I threw away our mattress, frame and box spring and washed everything we owned. We also had an exterminator come out, and we sprinkled ground-up silica gel around our bedroom to prevent future infestations. (I believe diatomaceous earth also works really well for this.) I can also attest that putting bedbug covers on the box spring and mattress helps to prevent infestations. We haven't seen a single bedbug since the exterminator came out.

Good luck! :)

Effexxor
May 26, 2008

Alright. So I live in a renovated house with a two parts, one upstairs and the other on the ground level. My husband and I live on the ground floor and our upstairs neighbors let us know today that they had bedbugs, mostly in their bedroom but some in their bathroom. We've vacuumed the poo poo out of the bedroom and vents, though none from upstairs point down, have invested in a mattress cover as well as some for two pillows and I've put diatomaceous earth around the legs, in the frame, on the spring and have removed, cleaned and dusted the outlet covers and vents in that room with some more earth. We've also ringed the frame and legs with double sided tape and are going to be doing laundry for ever piece of clothing on the bedroom floor and all the bedding, as well as cleaning and sealing up the blankets/clothing that has sentimental value into vacuum sealed bags. So far, there is zero evidence that we have bedbugs, but I do not want bed bugs holy poo poo. What else can I do to prevent us from getting bed bugs that is still sensible and not me being overly paranoid?

lexan
Apr 24, 2004

Effexxor posted:

Alright. So I live in a renovated house with a two parts, one upstairs and the other on the ground level. My husband and I live on the ground floor and our upstairs neighbors let us know today that they had bedbugs, mostly in their bedroom but some in their bathroom. We've vacuumed the poo poo out of the bedroom and vents, though none from upstairs point down, have invested in a mattress cover as well as some for two pillows and I've put diatomaceous earth around the legs, in the frame, on the spring and have removed, cleaned and dusted the outlet covers and vents in that room with some more earth. We've also ringed the frame and legs with double sided tape and are going to be doing laundry for ever piece of clothing on the bedroom floor and all the bedding, as well as cleaning and sealing up the blankets/clothing that has sentimental value into vacuum sealed bags. So far, there is zero evidence that we have bedbugs, but I do not want bed bugs holy poo poo. What else can I do to prevent us from getting bed bugs that is still sensible and not me being overly paranoid?

Call an exterminator. I assume this is a rental so it should be at the owner's expense. There is no consumer grade solution that works. The steps you've taken will limit the scope and duration of the infestation if it spreads to your unit, but they need to be destroyed or else they will. Tell your landlord to get an exterminator. Check with an attorney to find out if a bed bug infestation is grounds for a rent escrow action in your jurisdiction, and if so, file one so that your landlord knows they won't get paid until the infestation is gone. That will motivate them not to dick around with half measures.

Effexxor
May 26, 2008

lexan posted:

Call an exterminator. I assume this is a rental so it should be at the owner's expense. There is no consumer grade solution that works. The steps you've taken will limit the scope and duration of the infestation if it spreads to your unit, but they need to be destroyed or else they will. Tell your landlord to get an exterminator. Check with an attorney to find out if a bed bug infestation is grounds for a rent escrow action in your jurisdiction, and if so, file one so that your landlord knows they won't get paid until the infestation is gone. That will motivate them not to dick around with half measures.

They have called one for the upstairs neighbor's place, I might call the landlord and check that the exterminator upstairs won't just be a one time thing and that they will return to ensure that the bugs don't come back. If she doesn't plan on that, should I send a certified letter stating that the exterminator needs to come more, keep that and then file the rent escrow if the exterminator doesn't come more than once? My landlord has Ben pretty chill and my rent is cheap so I don't want to tick her off, but I also don't want bedbugs and am not sure that she'll have an exterminator over more than once to my neighbors.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

blowfish posted:

Make sure to collect some in a jar of rubbing alcohol, entomologists really like having specimens in our collections :spergin:

I am an entomologist, and I can confirm that this is true.

lexan
Apr 24, 2004

Effexxor posted:

They have called one for the upstairs neighbor's place, I might call the landlord and check that the exterminator upstairs won't just be a one time thing and that they will return to ensure that the bugs don't come back. If she doesn't plan on that, should I send a certified letter stating that the exterminator needs to come more, keep that and then file the rent escrow if the exterminator doesn't come more than once? My landlord has Ben pretty chill and my rent is cheap so I don't want to tick her off, but I also don't want bedbugs and am not sure that she'll have an exterminator over more than once to my neighbors.

Yeah, talk to your landlord to verify what the plan is. It's alarming that the exterminator is not at least going to inspect your unit for infestation; it would be very surprising if they aren't spreading to your place. Unless they're tenting the house and doing a full Vikane fumigation, one treatment isn't going to be enough. I mentioned before that we were extremely lucky our infestation only lasted six weeks (and three exterminator visits). At the very least, the exterminator needs to make a follow-up visit for a second round of treatments in about three weeks when the next breeding cycle is up--even in the unlikely event that they manage to get them all this time, there will be another batch of eggs hatching in three weeks, and they'll need to get them before they reach maturity and breed again. So yeah, send that certified letter if your landlord isn't planning sufficient treatment.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Something to keep in mind is that small objects that can't be heat treated can be frozen. This will kill bedbugs too.

Put the thing in a plastic bag, seal air tight with tape and let it sit in the freezer for a couple of days. When you take it out, don't open the bag until the contents have reached room temp. This way, there won't form any condensation on the thing, and it won't be warped or damaged from the humidity.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Some friends had their apartment fumigated two weeks ago. Is it safe to invite them to stay over night at my cottage?

ookuwagata
Aug 26, 2007

I love you this much!
The people are fine, bedbugs don't hide out on people (though lice do, but I suspect your friends aren't hobos or small children scratching their itchy scalps, so those shouldn't be an issue). The luggage is where the problem lies. Bedbugs, like cockroaches, are thigmotactic, they feel safest when wedged into a small space. If they packed their luggage in the infested room and left it long enough for a bedbug to find its way in, then it's a guaranteed way to get yourself a bedbug problem. If they bring any luggage with them, the best option would be to keep that stuff outside and sealed in a plastic zip bag; as far away as possible.

blowfish posted:

Also confirmed.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

I'd throw away all your bedding, pillows, duvet, sheets, everything. Not worth the risk. I had a flea infestation once that was ridiculous, you couldn't sit down anywhere without twenty fleas crawling up each leg. For those I had to keep hoovering twice a day, emptying the bag outside straight afterward, using plenty of insecticide and throwing away any soft furnishings I didn't need, such as rugs and stuff. I could have heat treated them, but once you have a full infestation of anything I never want to risk it happening again. I also used a lot of salt and lit candles every night in order to make the flat as dry as possible, as I read that the eggs needed moisture to work? Suffice to say that ended up being one of the strangest and most uncomfortable flats I've been in.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
Some good news - it looks like diatomaceous earth is out, silica gel is in as far as dust treatments go.

DE basically doesn't work
http://www.pctonline.com/pct1213-Diatomaceous-earth-study.aspx

Silica Gel does work
http://www.pctonline.com/pct0814-silica-gel-research-bed-bugs.aspx

Are there any tips to avoid picking up bedbugs when moving,like getting them from a moving van? (Besides not buying used boxes, stuff like that.) I would think wrapping everything in plastic might help.

horribleslob
Nov 23, 2004
Introduce a ton of spiders into your living quarters they'll prolly eat all the bugs.

New Coke
Nov 28, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.
I had an infestation a couple of years ago. Heat is your friend. You can treat clothing in the dryer, or even in the oven (heat to about 60 degrees Celsius, don't let anything touch an element that you don't want to melt or catch fire). Unfortunately, I was sleeping on a futon with a wooden frame that was virtually impossible to keep bedbug free; I took it apart and got rid of it.

If you happen to see any live ones, you can spray them with rubbing alcohol to kill them almost instantly; it's pretty satisfying and you won't leave a smear of blood on your stuff.

But, yeah, you'll want an exterminator, and don't be surprised if you need to call them back a couple of times. It's good to make sure they know what they're doing and have experience treating bed bugs, specifically; talk to them and find out how you should prep for their arrival and anything else you should do.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

ookuwagata posted:

. Bedbugs, like cockroaches, are thigmotactic, they feel safest when wedged into a small space

God bless you goons it is fun learning something every day. Gonna use the poo poo out of this word.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

So, I'm curious - how can you tell that you have bedbugs/lice/other annoying itchy critters? I've got a bit of a history of being very impressionable, and every time I hear about any sort of bug like that, I get itchy for weeks, and every time I itch, I think about them, and the cycle just kinda repeats.

Do they stick to your skin, leave noticeable bites, or is it just itching? Because now that I'm typing this up, it seems like every hair, every piece of lint is something crawling on me.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

S-Alpha posted:

So, I'm curious - how can you tell that you have bedbugs/lice/other annoying itchy critters? I've got a bit of a history of being very impressionable, and every time I hear about any sort of bug like that, I get itchy for weeks, and every time I itch, I think about them, and the cycle just kinda repeats.

Do they stick to your skin, leave noticeable bites, or is it just itching? Because now that I'm typing this up, it seems like every hair, every piece of lint is something crawling on me.

Bedbugs leave blood poop trails in crevices and around where they congregate, so there's an apparent mess once the infestation gets large enough. They also leave noticeable bite marks, little raised bumps. I can't recall if the "line of three" bite thing was a myth or coincidence or whatever.

BigBobio
May 1, 2009

S-Alpha posted:

There's a term for that. My exterminator told me that even animals get it too once they've lived in a place with bed bugs. Who knows if its true or not.

whitey delenda est posted:

Bedbugs leave blood poop trails in crevices and around where they congregate, so there's an apparent mess once the infestation gets large enough. They also leave noticeable bite marks, little raised bumps. I can't recall if the "line of three" bite thing was a myth or coincidence or whatever.

The bites don't always leave marks, weals, or bumps, it depends on the person. When I had bed bugs, I never had a reaction to their bites. Your first sentence is key though. Physical evidence of poop stains, shed skin, or actual bed bugs are what to look for.

Scald
May 5, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 26 years!

whitey delenda est posted:

It's the telltale sign of bedbugs, when you move during your sleep it disturbs the feeding process, they continue it along the same blood vessel so it shows up as a line of 3 bites. I had a nasty infestation a few years back and it's definitely not a myth.

dahkren
Jan 11, 2006
Advice here is good. Most important is don't tackle it yourself, those fuckers can hibernate for months and they can climb.

Get a professional who has a warranty in there and listen to him and don't assume things he says are silly.

Get XL ziploc bags (made for clothes and large items). Wash all your poo poo. Everything you can wash. Wash it in hot water or at least dry on hot and make sure the clothes are actually dry when you take them out. Once you dry them put them in the ziploc bags and enjoy living out of that for a while.

You can save your mattress after they spray with an encasement that is made for bedbugs.. Then if you move, change the encasement before you put matress in new place.

Just don't do it yourself, you can disperse them to other areas and make it a lot worse, this also goes with sleeping on your couch. They are attracted to co2 and will just follow you. They can hide in screwheads so if you're looking for them gotta look for the poop stains. Good luck, hope you caught it early and it'll be easy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sexgun Rasputin
May 5, 2013

by Ralp

(and can't post for 681 days!)

i didn't read the thread but basically you need to throw away everything you own and move. all your books, records, clothes, furniture, everything. hope you got savings or rich parents. they will not be gone after any number of treatments, their eggs are not affected by poison and any bugs that survive can just hide in your electrical outlets for up to a year without feeding.

the only treatment that's supposed to work is heating your domicile to 130+ degrees but that'll destroy any electronics and melt your plastics and probably gently caress up your place in other ways too.

after you move and spend thousands of dollars on new stuff you'll probably still have bedbugs.

diatomaceous earth is ok but bedbugs don't groom the way say cockroaches do so it mostly just slows them down and inconveniences them.

if you're noticing bedbugs, that means they're loving everywhere and all your poo poo is hosed. hopefully you don't react badly to bites. good luck op

hot sauce posted:

Just burn your place down with everything you own in it and walk naked to your next apartment, seriously.

this is not hyperbole

• Locked thread