Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Effexxor
May 26, 2008

Alright. So I live in a renovated house with a two parts, one upstairs and the other on the ground level. My husband and I live on the ground floor and our upstairs neighbors let us know today that they had bedbugs, mostly in their bedroom but some in their bathroom. We've vacuumed the poo poo out of the bedroom and vents, though none from upstairs point down, have invested in a mattress cover as well as some for two pillows and I've put diatomaceous earth around the legs, in the frame, on the spring and have removed, cleaned and dusted the outlet covers and vents in that room with some more earth. We've also ringed the frame and legs with double sided tape and are going to be doing laundry for ever piece of clothing on the bedroom floor and all the bedding, as well as cleaning and sealing up the blankets/clothing that has sentimental value into vacuum sealed bags. So far, there is zero evidence that we have bedbugs, but I do not want bed bugs holy poo poo. What else can I do to prevent us from getting bed bugs that is still sensible and not me being overly paranoid?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Effexxor
May 26, 2008

lexan posted:

Call an exterminator. I assume this is a rental so it should be at the owner's expense. There is no consumer grade solution that works. The steps you've taken will limit the scope and duration of the infestation if it spreads to your unit, but they need to be destroyed or else they will. Tell your landlord to get an exterminator. Check with an attorney to find out if a bed bug infestation is grounds for a rent escrow action in your jurisdiction, and if so, file one so that your landlord knows they won't get paid until the infestation is gone. That will motivate them not to dick around with half measures.

They have called one for the upstairs neighbor's place, I might call the landlord and check that the exterminator upstairs won't just be a one time thing and that they will return to ensure that the bugs don't come back. If she doesn't plan on that, should I send a certified letter stating that the exterminator needs to come more, keep that and then file the rent escrow if the exterminator doesn't come more than once? My landlord has Ben pretty chill and my rent is cheap so I don't want to tick her off, but I also don't want bedbugs and am not sure that she'll have an exterminator over more than once to my neighbors.

• Locked thread