Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009

StumblyWumbly posted:

Tell me more, I can't place it right now

It's Ultra Comics. You are the empty hand. You are the oblivion machine. The Gentry is the process through which we break down stories into memories, thoughts, ideas, messages, feelings and all the like, re-shaping them into something different. It's a destructive process, but it's also one through which heroes gain powers. The door has one side, and opens both ways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
So, in the end, overall Mutliversity left me kind of cold. Great moments interspersed, but I really have no desire to read Everything again. Showing so many alternate earth's in these one-shots is cool, but the flipside is that there is no zero momentum between them that gets to build, and I was surprised how little the "main" plot with the Gentry was really part of the goings-on, and almost seemed to be a background side-plot. The whole affair, looking back, comes across as more as a better-than-average anthology, which I'm glad exists, but never really got pumped up about.

Final Crisis was better. :colbert:

Smudgie Buggler
Feb 27, 2005

SET PHASERS TO "GRINDING TEDIUM"
I suspect this question is highly retarded, but is the hooded figure with the book at the top of the Multiversity map labelled "Overvoid" Destiny of the Endless? If not, who is he?

Smudgie Buggler fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Apr 30, 2015

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Smudgie Buggler posted:

I suspect this question is highly retarded, but is the hooded figure with the book at the top of the Multiversity map labelled "Overvoid" Destiny of the Endless? If not, who is he?
That is Destiny, yes. Read the wiki entry about Monitors for stuff about Overvoid.

This guy does a good job of breaking it down.

Smudgie Buggler
Feb 27, 2005

redbackground posted:

That is Destiny, yes. Read the wiki entry about Monitors for stuff about Overvoid.

Yeah, probably won't. My interest in Grant Morrison's particular brand of insanity is limited. I just clicked on this thread a whim, saw that map and had a "wait, what the gently caress?" moment. Then about five minutes after I posted that question I saw a version that had some explanatory material on it and saw that Morpheus and the Endless are a part of this gigantic mess of crap.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Smudgie Buggler posted:

Yeah, probably won't. My interest in Grant Morrison's particular brand of insanity is limited. I just clicked on this thread a whim, saw that map and had a "wait, what the gently caress?" moment. Then about five minutes after I posted that question I saw a version that had some explanatory material on it and saw that Morpheus and the Endless are a part of this gigantic mess of crap.
The Endless were before it all, and will outlast it all. They are part of capital-E-Everything, not specifically anything Multiversity-related.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I agree that the Gentry feel like a majorly dropped ball. After all that build-up around them, there wasn't any real payoff.

Smudgie Buggler
Feb 27, 2005

redbackground posted:

The Endless were before it all, and will outlast it all. They are part of capital-E-Everything, not specifically anything Multiversity-related.

Can't tell if you're being satirical or are just a tremendous dork.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Smudgie Buggler posted:

Can't tell if you're being satirical or are just a tremendous dork.
Welcome to BSS?

Serious answer: The Endless are a pretty well-known quantity when it comes to the DCU thanks to Neil Gaiman. '80s Monitor/Crisis stuff, I barely know a thing about, personally.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Apr 30, 2015

Smudgie Buggler
Feb 27, 2005

redbackground posted:

Serious answer: The Endless are a pretty well-known quantity when it comes to the DCU thanks to Neil Gaiman. '80s Monitor/Crisis stuff, I barely know a thing about, personally.

From 2006 to 2009 I read at least half a dozen DC funnybooks a week, and I never once saw the Endless crop up. The idea that they're a part of the DCU and not their own little cordoned-off area of comic books as a medium is pretty new. Gaiman tried that poo poo to begin with, having John Constantine and Martian Manhunter in the first half-dozen issues, and nobody knew what the gently caress was happening so they knocked that on the head and put a velvet rope around the Sandman and its spinoffs.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Smudgie Buggler posted:

From 2006 to 2009 I read at least half a dozen DC funnybooks a week, and I never once saw the Endless crop up. The idea that they're a part of the DCU and not their own little cordoned-off area of comic books as a medium is pretty new.
They don't exactly pop up frequently, but they do every once and awhile (see: Daniel!Morpheus in Morrison's JLA, Death in the pretty great Action Comics "Black Ring" arc starring Lex just before the New52 reboot).

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
Constantine started off in Swamp Thing. Books of Magic featured Zatanna prominently as well as a boatload of other magic heroes/villains. The Endless have shown up in JLA in the late 90s, as well, and Daniel is Hawkman's grandson (well, one of the various Hawkman incarnations, anyway) and the JSA books from 1999 onward had frequent tie-ins to the Sandman series between. It's not really a new thing.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Evil Mastermind posted:

I agree that the Gentry feel like a majorly dropped ball. After all that build-up around them, there wasn't any real payoff.

I thought that was a great payoff. Turn the page and uuuuh oh gently caress they're just goddamn minions.

Nobby
Sep 10, 2006

Everyone cries when they're stabbed. There's no shame in that.
I feel like I understand why Pax Americana was ultimately (somewhat) inoculated from the Gentry (but it's not like Before Watchmen didn't happen) now, with a bit more knowledge about the Gentry and the Empty Hand.

But, like, nothing else. Is the failure of the S.O.S. world not that they killed, but that they dwelled on it then? And The Just seems more important now, I'm just not sure how.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Comprehension question: Is Earth 33 destroyed? On page 40 (I think), one of the flashes is reading Ultra Comics, and observes "They already destroyed a whole universe? No way!" We do know they destroyed at least one universe, Universe 7, but it wasn't in Ultra Comics. Another Flash tells her, "It was already damaged. You're missing stuff by reading too fast." This last sentence is what I don't get, because Universe 7 wasn't damaged. Then again, we live in Universe 33, and it doesn't seem to be destroyed in the same way that Earth 7 was. What are the Flashes talking about?

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Grant Morrison has been playing a lot of RPGs.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.

redbackground posted:

They don't exactly pop up frequently, but they do every once and awhile (see: Daniel!Morpheus in Morrison's JLA, Death in the pretty great Action Comics "Black Ring" arc starring Lex just before the New52 reboot).

While it's understandable due to their popularity, it's a shame that Dream and Death are the only ones that get little nods and appearances like that. It'd be cool if some of this cosmological stuff touched on the aspect of Destruction quitting his job. While it's a major point of the Sandman series itself you'd think the embodiment the very balance of destruction and creation going on hiatus would be something to touch on.

Maybe that could explain why the Multiverse constantly keeps destroying and reforming itself. There's something off with the destruction and therefore something off with the reconstruction (as it's established the Endless represent both sides of their aspect, death/life, dream/reality, destruction/creation). Obviously there's similar ideas you could touch on with the other Endless. I don't know, I'm just a lowly comics nerd with no writing skill.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

It was addressed in Sandman. Destruction talks about how him quitting didn't actually change anything and tries to convince Morpheus that he doesn't have to be so hands on.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

pospysyl posted:

Comprehension question
Could be some meta-commentary on how the Destroyed Earth they're talking about was an Ultimatization of a "mainline" universe? I.E. it was already a kind of 'damaged' reflection of something.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.

muscles like this? posted:

It was addressed in Sandman. Destruction talks about how him quitting didn't actually change anything and tries to convince Morpheus that he doesn't have to be so hands on.

I know. My point is that he could be underestimating the effect that his departure had. Specifically like how he underestimated how his leaving would affect the other Endless.

I mostly just would like for Endless other than Death, Destiny, and Dream to figure into this crazy cosmic implosion/reconstitution thing that things seem to be leading up to.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Destruction does what Dream wishes he could do, saying he was wrong to do it undermines the story.

As to Multiversity, I enjoyed reading it as a whole but felt like it didn't quite stick the landing. And maybe I missed them but I thought it was goofy how it used heroes from every world except Earth-0, the mainline one.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009

muscles like this? posted:

Destruction does what Dream wishes he could do, saying he was wrong to do it undermines the story.

As to Multiversity, I enjoyed reading it as a whole but felt like it didn't quite stick the landing. And maybe I missed them but I thought it was goofy how it used heroes from every world except Earth-0, the mainline one.

Nix Uotan's from Earth-0, it says so at the end.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

You know how often the classic tales would say things like "Not a dream! Not an imaginary story!" and the like?

What's the last thing that happens at the end of this story?

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

Of course, dreams and imaginary stories are just tapping directly into the 5th dimension anyway, so being either would make the tale no less real.

It was all a plot by Vyndktvx!! :tinfoil:

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Grant Morrison isn't done writing about the multiverse.

http://www.dccomics.com/blog/2015/07/11/grant-morrison-reveals-multiversity-too-and-batman-black-white-series-of-original

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Considering this is pretty much what I was hoping was going to come out of Multiversity in the first place, I'm really happy to hear this,

just_a_guy
Feb 18, 2010

Look into my eyes!
Does anyone know what happened to the multiversity annotations over at comics alliance?
Stopped at Mastermind and never came up again. I really like those...

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

just_a_guy posted:

Does anyone know what happened to the multiversity annotations over at comics alliance?
Stopped at Mastermind and never came up again. I really like those...

They were taking Doogz forever to get right due to the density of references that Morrison was packing into each one, so he might still be in the research phase. You could probably ask him on Twitter if more are forthcoming.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

He hasn't done anything on CA at all since the Masterman issue. I don't know what the deal is there. The only connection I've been able to see is that he stopped writing for CA around the same general timeframe that the poo poo with Chris Sims started to blow up, but obviously that's a wild guess and a shaky one at that.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

What happened between Doogz and Sims?

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

Nothing happened between them that I know of, but that was around the time that Sims' whole harassment scandal thing went public. Sims basically shut down completely for weeks, complete radio silence before reappearing to do substantially fewer articles than he had been. I'm not sure that there's any actual connection, but it's possible. I'm just noting the time frame.

vvv
Welp, there you go.

PantsOptional fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Jul 23, 2015

Benito Cereno
Jan 20, 2006

ALLEZ-OUP!
Uzi hasn't written for CA regularly in years. The Multiversity annotations were the exception, since everyone expects him to annotate Morrison now. The last thing he wrote before the Multiversity annotations were some Batman Inc annotations in 2013. He has another job that he does instead of writing about comic, which is, I suspect, part of why the Multiversity notes have been taking so long.

Nothing happened between Uzumeri and Sims. These issues are unrelated.

just_a_guy
Feb 18, 2010

Look into my eyes!
I hope he gets to finish. Even if it's elsewhere.
I have been reading his Morrison annotations for years :( And those 2 final issues are sure to be the more packed ones.

Oh well. Doogz if you happen to read this thanks for all the work you put into these over the years!

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
He straight up said that... Ultra Comics? I think it was, killed all momentum on his annotations because it had some characters he could not figure out for ages, and then the series ended in a way he never felt like going back.

Lately he writes a piece for a site I cannot recall the name of right now (at work, sorry), but its mostly a "gently caress it, sounds fun" basis, not as a freelancer or anything.

Benito Cereno
Jan 20, 2006

ALLEZ-OUP!

DARKSEID DICK PICS posted:

Lately he writes a piece for a site I cannot recall the name of right now (at work, sorry), but its mostly a "gently caress it, sounds fun" basis, not as a freelancer or anything.

http://deadshirt.net/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
Thank you. My brain kept going "Deadspin" but I knew that was wrong.

• Locked thread