Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Waterhaul posted:

On a basic level I don't get why Marvel Comics would have to fear or be in danger of DC editoral coming to destroy their things. Well based on the thought that I'm sure this was written pre-influx of terrible editors from DC to Marvel.

On the basic of the book itself I'm going to re-read a bit but it all seems pretty straight forward as far as Morrison things go. It does have a lot of those quotes and singular moments (mostly from Captain Carrot) that made Final Crisis so great.

I'm pretty sure Morrison isn't only commenting on DC and the use of Marvel (or NotMarvel) characters is part of that. Marvel is better than DC these days but you only have to look at Spider-Man to see what The Gentry could be in reference to Marvel stuff. "I always suspected that one world's reality is another's fiction. That's why I like happy endings!" and all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shameless
Dec 22, 2004

We're all so ugly and stupid and doomed.

Wachter posted:

I think it's too simplistic to say that this is an attack on DC Comics editorial, or even popular narrative techniques. This is an attack on purism. The Gentry demonstrate their power by constricting the fictional space around Nix Uotan -- crushing him by limiting what is possible, which includes but is not limited to the narrative conclusion that is death.

I agree that it is a simple view to take but it's not like Morrison hasn't overtly criticised DC execs before now, the President Superman issue of Action being the most recent example. As I said in my earlier post, I do think that the fans are complicit as well. It does seem like the big eye Gentry's speech patterns have a sort of "messageboard" quality to them.

But very name Gentry itself suggests a "superior", a landowner profiting by other people working on something he owns.

I think it's a call to arms against the same old ideas that we're seeing again and again by editorial mandate or unimaginative writing. The (awesome) anti-death equation is clearly calling bullshit against the trend of killing off characters.

Yes, as I said, we the readers are definitely complicit in this but I'm not too sure that we're the main focus of Morrison's frustration. Or, like the front page shows, maybe we're just another parasite in the cycle.

edit: It seems to me like there's something of a cautionary tale in here. Nix Uotan got into this mess by "dissecting" a comic book, which is a great word choice. He looked at these things too deeply and got spat out the other-side as... whatever he's become. I can't believe this is Morrison condemning analysis, he's not going to say "be dumber" considering the layers of meaning he puts in his own work, but more, like Wachter has said, don't get bogged down by the meaningless stuff, continuity, etc.

Shameless fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Aug 20, 2014

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Teenage Fansub posted:

BTW, Action Comics #9 is confirmed as required reading. It's a buck on Comixology in the Multiversity sale, as well as the aforementioned Superman Beyond.
Definitely read it first.
https://www.comixology.com/Multiversity-Sale/page/3152/?tid=B140819002_DC_Multiversity_Sale

Whoa, that issue was cool. Definitely worth a buck. Thanks for the heads up.

d00gZ
Oct 12, 2002

Original Sin Murderer
Wild Guess #627
Edward Snowden

"My sole motive is to inform the public as to that which is done in their name and that which is done against them."
http://comicsalliance.com/multiversity-dc-comics-grant-morrison-annotations-part-1/

CountryFriedSnake
Feb 25, 2006
I stopped reading when it told me to. I've not read this thread. I'm going to spend the night (or as long as it takes) to conceive a universe where I continue to not read this. It was seriously odd that a thunderstorm began when I started reading. I should not even post this as it allows the fiction to grab onto me evenmoreso. I knew that after Final Crisis I was right to stop reading comics. More the fool I for picking this up on my way home.

MORRISON!

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Got the Captain Carrot cover and the multiverse poster. I'm in too deep!

Is there a guide to all the alternate Earths? The poster is strangely beautiful.

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

I'm quite surprised that constitutes Fair Use; it reprints over a quarter of the comic!

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I think his strongest message is "Comic fans are gay."

e: Feeling the chill of probation, facetious comment refers to digital page 26 in the comic.

Barry Convex posted:

So are there two Nix Uotans or what? Who drops the comic midway through?

This time Nix isn't really Shazaming out of a real world boy, but is his imagined representation diving in while he's exploring and analyzing comics, maybe?

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Aug 21, 2014

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
So are there two Nix Uotans or what? Who drops the comic midway through?

Also, is there any particular reason why Earth-23 Wonder Woman talks the way she does?

Barry Convex fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Aug 21, 2014

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

I think the mini Wonder Woman and Steel might be from Superman/Batman. Originally appearing in the issue where Superman hallucinates on magic Kryptonite.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
I don't know what's going on and I feel like I just took a double handful of really good drugs.

Goddamn I love Morrison comics.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.
Was it just me or was the green monster in-between worlds pretty much the same as the 5th-dimensional being wrapped around Bat-Mite (or Bat-Might) in Batman RIP? (as depicted in my avatar)

That imagery was also very similiar to the 5th-dimensional attack on Superman at different points in his life from Morrison's Action run.

redbackground posted:

I thought Reis' artwork during Blackest Night was pretty great, actually, but I dunno, it all looked pretty sloppy here, especially when panels get smaller-he just gives up on detail really quick. It was an uglier comic than I would have preferred, and maybe That Was The Point Or Something. As a semi-sequel to Finals Crisis and SB3D, Mahnke should have taken point.

Intentionally or not, it worked out well because as far as we know each entry will be written and drawn to fit a pre-existing style of comics or storytelling, with a heavy dose of Morrison's usual proclivities mixed in. So this one was like the typical Event Comic style.

Shameless posted:

edit: It seems to me like there's something of a cautionary tale in here. Nix Uotan got into this mess by "dissecting" a comic book, which is a great word choice. He looked at these things too deeply and got spat out the other-side as... whatever he's become. I can't believe this is Morrison condemning analysis, he's not going to say "be dumber" considering the layers of meaning he puts in his own work, but more, like Wachter has said, don't get bogged down by the meaningless stuff, continuity, etc.

I think the point could be that those things can only constrict you if you let them, or can only constrict stories if writers and editors let them- After all, we are shown that on some level of reality Nix is still just sitting in his bed reading comics.

Lord Krangdar fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Aug 21, 2014

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

CountryFriedSnake posted:

I stopped reading when it told me to. I've not read this thread. I'm going to spend the night (or as long as it takes) to conceive a universe where I continue to not read this. It was seriously odd that a thunderstorm began when I started reading. I should not even post this as it allows the fiction to grab onto me evenmoreso. I knew that after Final Crisis I was right to stop reading comics. More the fool I for picking this up on my way home.

MORRISON!

It's you, you're Bastion! Save us from The Nothing! Say the Empress's name!

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

Anybody else remember this book from childhood?

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Grover had some meta books. Remember The Monster at the End of this Book?

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

Die Laughing posted:

Grover had some meta books. Remember The Monster at the End of this Book?

That's what my picture is from.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Goddammit, comics. Bought this and a bag and board and spent $5.61.

EDIT: How come North Korea's krypton it's missile is the hot topic on Earth-23 if in Action Comics we saw krypton it's doesn't affect their Superman? Or was it's just krypton it's from another Earth didn't affect him?

Unmature fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Aug 21, 2014

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

I just wanna say that this tweet pretty much sums up my feelings about Morrison
https://twitter.com/CK1Blogs/status/502283208944537600

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Whoa.
Just finished issue 1. Gonna need to read it at least once more before I can say I like it, but on first read I really enjoyed it.

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012

I'll let you draw any conclusions you might want.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Flameingblack posted:

Yeah, it's certainly a Morrison comic alright.

I don't know about that because I actually enjoyed it :v:

...but no this was actually really good and I was able to get the gist even if I didn't get all the little details. I liked that although most of the not-Avengers were all different-yet-recognizable, their Black Widow was basically just Natasha wearing brown.

Guess you can only come up with so many crazy variations on Avengers!

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

TwoPair posted:

I liked that although most of the not-Avengers were all different-yet-recognizable, their Black Widow was basically just Natasha wearing brown.

I saw someone on another forum joking that her superhero name must be Brown Recluse.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
I bought Superman Beyond on the Comixology sale. Should I get Final Crisis too? I've never read it, is it required or at least recommended to read before Multiversity?

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

Unmature posted:

I bought Superman Beyond on the Comixology sale. Should I get Final Crisis too? I've never read it, is it required or at least recommended to read before Multiversity?

Superman Beyond, Final Crisis (just the Morrison issues, preferably the slightly expanded new TPB version), and Action Comics 9 are the main plot lead-ins so far. I don't know that any of them are totally necessary for this, but with Morrison's work in general the more you put in the more you get out.

It would be weird reading Superman Beyond without Final Crisis though.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Superman Beyond could be okay if you just know that it starts after Lois had been critically injured in the Daily Planet blowing up.
I cant remember if it has a totally satisfying ending if you don't follow Superman back into the end of Final Crisis.

Might as well read the series. You would be missing Nix and President Superman's small appearance, at least.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Aug 21, 2014

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Lord Krangdar posted:

I saw someone on another forum joking that her superhero name must be Brown Recluse.

It probably is.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I just reread Final Crisis (by which I mean everything included in the HC), and yeah, you couldn't read Superman Beyond on its own without it having at the very least a kind of confusing/unsatisfying ending. Plus Nix Uotan is a pretty major character in it, and you can see how he got to where he is in the first page of Multiversity.

Gonna read Morrison's Action Comics run now. Not read any of it except for maybe the first issue. How good/Morrison-y is it?

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Teenage Fansub posted:

I think his strongest message is "Comic fans are gay."

e: Feeling the chill of probation, facetious comment refers to digital page 26 in the comic.

Hah there wouldn't be a probation. I liked that of course alternate universe Flash and Green Lantern would be a couple.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Bown posted:

Gonna read Morrison's Action Comics run now. Not read any of it except for maybe the first issue. How good/Morrison-y is it?

It starts off very grounded but about half way through goes totally bugnuts as the story gets concerned with 5th dimensional imps.
I loved it. It's full of as much heart as it is craziness.

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
but then again so are you
I know it's still early but I kind of hope Morrison finds something for women to do in this story. Like, in Final Crisis he had this huge, complex story with gods of evil and time bullets and universe vampires but then when he had to think of something for Wonder Woman to do he just threw up his hands and said "well, I can't think of anything."

I don't think Aqua-Woman did anything in the first issue of Multiversity except say her name and tell everyone she was coming too.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Unmature posted:

EDIT: How come North Korea's krypton it's missile is the hot topic on Earth-23 if in Action Comics we saw krypton it's doesn't affect their Superman? Or was it's just krypton it's from another Earth didn't affect him?

It's North Korea's kryptonite missile. It's a joke.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

I know it's still early but I kind of hope Morrison finds something for women to do in this story. Like, in Final Crisis he had this huge, complex story with gods of evil and time bullets and universe vampires but then when he had to think of something for Wonder Woman to do he just threw up his hands and said "well, I can't think of anything."

I don't think Aqua-Woman did anything in the first issue of Multiversity except say her name and tell everyone she was coming too.

He has his Wonder Woman OGN coming out next year that originated as his response to his own lack of interest in her before, for which he said he did a whole lot of research on different permutations of feminism. But this was mostly written long ago, before he became interested in that.

chime_on
Jul 27, 2001
I'm not hugely clued in to the nuances of the Grant Morrison/Alan Moore beef, but I did find it a little interesting how Multiversity #1 echoed the ideas and themes of Moore's run on Supreme from the 90s. I'm not saying it's a ripoff or anything, but a lot of that meta commentary where characters are aware of other characters being in comic books, the decisions of creatives in the comic book industry are affecting fictional characters emotionally, showing someone holding a comic book that has the actual cover of a previously puiblished book, etc.-- that's all in Moore's Supreme run.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

chime_on posted:

I'm not hugely clued in to the nuances of the Grant Morrison/Alan Moore beef, but I did find it a little interesting how Multiversity #1 echoed the ideas and themes of Moore's run on Supreme from the 90s. I'm not saying it's a ripoff or anything, but a lot of that meta commentary where characters are aware of other characters being in comic books, the decisions of creatives in the comic book industry are affecting fictional characters emotionally, showing someone holding a comic book that has the actual cover of a previously puiblished book, etc.-- that's all in Moore's Supreme run.

That goes back to Flash as Barry Allen would read comics with Jay Garrick.

chime_on
Jul 27, 2001

bobkatt013 posted:

That goes back to Flash as Barry Allen would read comics with Jay Garrick.

I get what you're saying, but the interplay between Earths that was introduced way back then, though very clever, wasn't as deep and thoroughly meta as what Moore did, or what Morrison appears to be doing.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

chime_on posted:

I get what you're saying, but the interplay between Earths that was introduced way back then, though very clever, wasn't as deep and thoroughly meta as what Moore did, or what Morrison appears to be doing.

Yeah, but Morrison's Animal Man was before that, right?

And meta stuff wasn't invented by comics.

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

Unmature posted:

Them why do they call them metahumans, smart guy?!

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

hup posted:

Them why do they call them metahumans, smart guy?!

Because Marvel trademarked "mutants."

ProfZoom
Mar 22, 2005

This is our last dance!

CountryFriedSnake posted:

It was seriously odd that a thunderstorm began when I started reading.

Dude, me too!

I tried getting into G-Mo's Action run last year, but stopped just after the Calvin Ellis issue, which was good and Morrison-y, but I felt it was too little too late after the all that came before. I'll try jumping back in now that I know it gets better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chime_on
Jul 27, 2001

Unmature posted:

I never said it was.

I haven't read Morrison's Animal Man since it was coming out, and I think I dropped off before the end of the run (I read a little bit about how he ended it). Like I said, I wasn't accusing it of being a ripoff, it just felt very similar to ground covered in Moore's Supreme.

• Locked thread