Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
GM isn't really into infecting people with malignant ideas, anyway, just pointing out how they exist around us (as discussed earlier in the thread). If anything, he's more concerned with inoculating people against them, using simple injections of more hopeful ideas.

It's been a running thing in a lot of his work: he is very fond of bombastic, evocative, and memorable phrases derived from the Silver Age comics he loved so much: "Reality dies at midnight!" and so on. Think back to how many of such quotes you remember. Look at how often the "you're stronger than you think you are" scene gets posted here; it's even a thread title now. Does it cheer you up and cause you to fixate less on lovely 'dark' comics with heroes getting limbs torn off and all? You have been vaccinated.

Morrison has always been aware of the power of this sort of wording. And he knows that pop culture has malignant ideas (zombies, postapocalyptic whatsits) but also resonant and memorable weapons againt them: "Gamble a stamp. I'll show you how to be a real man." If it's a bit silly, so much the better. The best comics are always a bit silly on some level.

The context of a lot of these scenes matter. That Flex Mentallo quote comes just as the "Wally Sage" has doomed reality by his wallowing in a convoluted comics history that both informs amd reflects his negative mental state. And when he's at his lowest and most angsty-adolescent, Flex comes along with the above quote. Against the turgid, rococo, distracting mess that is comics continuity, Flex's advice is as simple and direct as a punch to the face: "Sometimes a fellow just has to get out of the house and meet some girls."

Grant's comics are one big superhero-fight between super-memes: against the dauntingly nebulous concept of despair, just a simple, punchy, hopeful phrase that will stick with you far longer than the dark.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

There we go, that's the money quote.

WE DEMAND A HAPPY ENDING!

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

graybook posted:

I tried checking previous pages for this, but anyone got an idea on why Intellectron's speech renders certain words in a certain way? "You" becomes "YU", "to" becomes "2", "your" becomes "yr" - though going back to the very first issue, there's a Gentry speech bubble that states "CHOOSE YOUR WEAPONS, NIX UOTAN!", breaking the your->yr scheme.

I'm pretty sure he's done that before, I remember "I SEE YU" popping up in one or more of his past works, though I can't remember which. Maybe he's just fond of using that to signify an utterly alien enemy that is only barely comprehensible.

Notably, all the examples you give are missing the letter "O." Coincidence, or are Grant's cosmic threats taunting the humans they're addressing by denying any concept of "infinity" to them? No eternal soul, we all die alone and screaming.

• Locked thread