Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

Lord Krangdar posted:

Since reading William S. Burroughs Nova Trilogy I've noticed Morrison has borrowed or built on a lot of the ideas from it over his career (in a good way). "Whose voice is this speaking in your head anyway? Yours?" is probably the most direct connection yet.

I don't really get the inclusion of the chimp yet, even with that link d00gZ posted.

Art looks surprisingly good; I think I had Ivan Reis confused with someone else.

The chimp was (also for no obvious reason) the one talking in the cell that Nix was thrown into in FC, right before be became the Monitor / Judge of all Evil.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

Lord Krangdar posted:

Isn't the clock approaching midnight mainly just short-hand for an urgent crisis?

There is a gauge called the Doomsday Clock that was set up by a group of scientists to express how close the world was to nuclear annihilation. During the Cold War, it got pretty close to mid night because the nuclear superpowers were close to attacking each other, and that was a main drive for the conflict behind Watchmen.

Right now, not so much.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
Some motifs I haven't seen mentioned:
The folks get shot in the head, Harley, his dad, and Allen (black hole in his skull). This makes sense, they're all related.

Other motif is 4 people facing one. I don't think this is just style because it reminds me of the scene of Gentry vs Nix, and it happens in obvious and subtle places. 4 scientists killed Allen, 4 people questioning Peacemaker, 4 guards taking peacemaker to custody, 2 guards and 2 scientists when Allen and Haley talk.
Otherwise there are a bunch of one on one moments, the only two on one scene is the Question/Beetle dealing with the drug dealer (but that does have 2 kids wasting from the side).
The big standout is the super team. Who's captain pony tail? He gets one line, and if he represents anyone in Watchmen it would have to be Ozy, but that's Harleys spot. A weird spot in an efficient comic.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

Effectronica posted:

Well, yes and no, I think. He's saying that reading critically is good and part of enjoying something, but he's also making an interesting argument with how he takes "this is a totally new comic, like nothing you have seen before" right after borrowing a trick from Jack Kirby's OMAC #1 (and of course from lots of stuff before), and putting it in the mouth of the villain. I think that he's arguing against snootiness over comics and genre fiction and especially trying to make hierarchies of what's more or less shameful.
I hear you, I love the comic, and I do hope you're right, but the idea that Morrison wants more critical reading is a bit undercut by the criticism that harms Intellectron. It isn't valid criticism, it's just folks getting sick of the dark spectacle and moving on.
Ultimately,I think Morrison is writing off DC (and Marvel) as a place for good comics. The trap is not complete unless Ultra Comics is locked away as well. He gets at a similar point in other comics, most clearly in Action Comics where DC and work for hire agreements are the big villain of an issue.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

Evil Mastermind posted:

Not just any bad guy.

Check the symbol on his chest. We've seen it before in this series.

Tell me more, I can't place it right now

• Locked thread