Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

fatherboxx posted:

Starting the series with Ivan Reis :barf:
He's okay, but not who I want to see on a project like this. The ugly, gradient-happy DC house coloring isn't helping set it apart, either. At least I know it'll get a whole lot better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
Oh hey there, Granfaloon from Symphony of the Night!

I thought Reis' artwork during Blackest Night was pretty great, actually, but I dunno, it all looked pretty sloppy here, especially when panels get smaller-he just gives up on detail really quick. It was an uglier comic than I would have preferred, and maybe That Was The Point Or Something. As a semi-sequel to Finals Crisis and SB3D, Mahnke should have taken point.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Aug 20, 2014

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Evil Mastermind posted:

I want to know what that clock's counting down to.

Should I be reading Morrison's Action Comics run before/alongside Multiversity?
-Perhaps you have heard of Watchmen?

(side-note, those bodies falling through the bleed at the top are pretty super-creepy)

-Sure!

redbackground fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Aug 27, 2014

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Evil Mastermind posted:

I thought of that, but given this is Morrison it's entirely possible he's laying groundwork for something else.

Well, kind of. All of the Watchmen characters are based off of Charlton Comics characters (which DC bought a long time ago, and Watchmen was originally going to use those characters--Blue Beetle, Captain Atom, The Question, etc). There is an upcoming issue of Multiversity that actually will use the original Charlton guys instead of their ersatz replacements (illustrated by Frank Quitely) and was already surely on GMozz's mind at the time. If you knew this already, apologies.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Aug 27, 2014

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
That was a pretty good issue of New Avengers.

Doc Fate even has his own Bridge!

redbackground fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Sep 18, 2014

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
Cheers!

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Scaramouche posted:

Wait they let D00gz write for comicsalliance now?
If by "now" you mean "for the last few years", then yes!

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Kull the Conqueror posted:

Is the final issue going to turn us all into supervillains or something? Or are we already the supervillains for reading and enjoying the series? :ohdear:
You are the monster at the end of the book.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Evil Mastermind posted:

So is this some sort of Multiversity offshoot or side effect? Because it looks like involves alternate timelines and such.

DC's 2015 Event Will Preempt All Regular Comics For Two Full Months
You should check out the main DC thread.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Evil Mastermind posted:

I'm trying. It's not easy in digital format, plus as near as I can tell the sections, not the pages need to be read in reverse.
Right.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Lord Krangdar posted:

Is there any significance to the times on the clock-tower when Harley is sitting on the bench? Besides a general reference to Watchmen's clock motif.

They form a peace sign.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

head58 posted:

If the whole point of Harley's sacrifice was to bring back Captain Atom
Atom is technically everywhen, so "coming back" really doesn't apply.

Also, everyone who didn't know who Sarge Steel was has outed themselves as folks who haven't read Suicide Squad, ya jerks.

I did appreciate that for once in a story about a man who feels it's his destiny to become President, he was actually a good man. There is almost always something super-ominous about those types (Stillson, Smiler, etc).

redbackground fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Nov 20, 2014

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
AV Club put up a well-written breakdown of the issue.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Nov 21, 2014

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Sanschel posted:

I only just now considered that Harley is Thunderbolt/Ozymandius
To back this up further, at each character's moment of triumph, they both are shown exuberant with their arms straight up over their heads.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
Is the Tangent universe mentioned?

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Evil Mastermind posted:

I updated the list. I don't know what an OGN is, though.
Original Graphic Novel

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Evil Mastermind posted:

Thanks. I updated the list. You don't happen to have a link to the specific novels, do you? The term is too vague to Google.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earth_One_(DC_Comics_series)

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
My favorite part was the Lil' Sivana-shaped bulge in Sssssssssivana's tummy.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Neurosis posted:

I only drift in and out of reading the main DC/Marvel continuities (Hickman is a huge draw), but how many of the 52 universes shown (sans the 7) were pre-existent?
Literally a list on the last page that breaks it down. Answer: Almost all of them.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Senor Candle posted:

Isn't this structured like Seven Soldiers where every story will get multiple issues? I could be very wrong but that's what I thought.
One-shots for everybody.

Now, there may be some kind of further-sort-of-follow-up to things in the final MV issue.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Feb 19, 2015

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
Not sure why, but my brain settled on the voice of Jonas Venture, Jr. for Ultra Comics.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

FilthyImp posted:

And as if by propecy, the Goonmind makes it better.

Also holy gently caress there's a Multiversity 2 coming out?! Shitballs!!
Not like a sequel, just the last issue of the event.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

McSpanky posted:

Yeah that's real clever and everything but I'm getting a little tired of clever writers making sure that nothing good can ever be enjoyed without reminding us that the society of the time wasn't perfect. And really, putting those kinds of details into a setting derived from Golden-Age Fawcett is about as fair as Infinite Crisis rewriting history so that the Silver Age was so goofy and carefree because of rape and mindwipes.

I still like Morrison and I still like Multiversity but it's been 30 years since Watchmen, I think I've had enough deconstruction of my punchman funnybooks already.

:tinfoil:

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
"You’ve been booby-trapped! Darkseid turned you into a doomsday weapon and aimed you directly at the 21st century!"

One thing I love about Morrison and Hickman, is that when they have to absolutely nail a line, they always come through.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

graybook posted:

I tried checking previous pages for this, but anyone got an idea on why Intellectron's speech renders certain words in a certain way? "You" becomes "YU", "to" becomes "2", "your" becomes "yr" - though going back to the very first issue, there's a Gentry speech bubble that states "CHOOSE YOUR WEAPONS, NIX UOTAN!", breaking the your->yr scheme.
Intellectron is actually Bandit from We3.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
So, in the end, overall Mutliversity left me kind of cold. Great moments interspersed, but I really have no desire to read Everything again. Showing so many alternate earth's in these one-shots is cool, but the flipside is that there is no zero momentum between them that gets to build, and I was surprised how little the "main" plot with the Gentry was really part of the goings-on, and almost seemed to be a background side-plot. The whole affair, looking back, comes across as more as a better-than-average anthology, which I'm glad exists, but never really got pumped up about.

Final Crisis was better. :colbert:

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Smudgie Buggler posted:

I suspect this question is highly retarded, but is the hooded figure with the book at the top of the Multiversity map labelled "Overvoid" Destiny of the Endless? If not, who is he?
That is Destiny, yes. Read the wiki entry about Monitors for stuff about Overvoid.

This guy does a good job of breaking it down.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Smudgie Buggler posted:

Yeah, probably won't. My interest in Grant Morrison's particular brand of insanity is limited. I just clicked on this thread a whim, saw that map and had a "wait, what the gently caress?" moment. Then about five minutes after I posted that question I saw a version that had some explanatory material on it and saw that Morpheus and the Endless are a part of this gigantic mess of crap.
The Endless were before it all, and will outlast it all. They are part of capital-E-Everything, not specifically anything Multiversity-related.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Smudgie Buggler posted:

Can't tell if you're being satirical or are just a tremendous dork.
Welcome to BSS?

Serious answer: The Endless are a pretty well-known quantity when it comes to the DCU thanks to Neil Gaiman. '80s Monitor/Crisis stuff, I barely know a thing about, personally.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Apr 30, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Smudgie Buggler posted:

From 2006 to 2009 I read at least half a dozen DC funnybooks a week, and I never once saw the Endless crop up. The idea that they're a part of the DCU and not their own little cordoned-off area of comic books as a medium is pretty new.
They don't exactly pop up frequently, but they do every once and awhile (see: Daniel!Morpheus in Morrison's JLA, Death in the pretty great Action Comics "Black Ring" arc starring Lex just before the New52 reboot).

• Locked thread