Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I do like the "anti-death equation", which prevents a heroic sacrifice from meaning anything while at the same time bringing back a character for more degrading storylines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

fatherboxx posted:

Frazer Irving shared his variant to one of the issues

I dunno, 90's-esque Fate doesn't look grungy enough.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Lord Krangdar posted:

From Final Crisis:

From Multiversity:

I want to know what that clock's counting down to.

Should I be reading Morrison's Action Comics run before/alongside Multiversity?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

redbackground posted:

-Perhaps you have heard of Watchmen?
I thought of that, but given this is Morrison it's entirely possible he's laying groundwork for something else.

quote:

(side-note, those bodies falling through the bleed at the top is pretty super-creepy)
Oh god I never noticed those before. :gonk:

e: TAGS ARE HARD

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

redbackground posted:

Well, kind of. All of the Watchmen characters are based off of Charlton Comics characters (which DC bought a long time ago, and Watchmen was originally going to use those characters--Blue Beetle, Captain Atom, The Question, etc). There is an upcoming issue of Multiversity that actually will use the original Charlton guys instead of their ersatz replacements (illustrated by Frank Quitely) and was already surely on GMozz's mind at the time. If you knew this already, apologies.

Yeah, I saw on Wikipedia that one of the issues is going to be the actual Charleston characters. I just didn't make the Charleston->Watchmen connection since I generally forget all about that until it comes up in discussions.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Has there been any information on when the Multiversity Guidebook will be released? I keep seeing mentions of it but nothing about when it's gonna be available.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

WickedHate posted:

You don't understand, this is the dream! Go back to sleep! Hurry! Before it's too late!

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

WickedHate posted:

Couldn't you just like.

Actually explain it.

Because 4chan.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

When's the next book coming out? This Wednesday?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

So the comic is both the warning and the threat? A message for help in a poisonous bottle? Interesting.

I really liked the whole setup of #earthme; the idea that the world's gotten so used to superheroes and mega-events that nobody cares anymore, alongside the idea that Supes did such a great job saving the world that there's nothing for the current generation of metas to do except re-enact old battles. It's a great premise. The slow decline of the superhero concept instead of the usual "everything collapses at once" deconstruction we tend to get.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Yeah, I feel that SoS felt more...complete than The Just. I liked the worldbuilding we did get, but at the same time I felt like there were some noticeable holes in the setting since we didn't have the advantage of "genre shorthand" like we did with SoS.

Maybe part of it was the cover, because it gave me the impression that the issue was going to be presented as a celeb magazine.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

So is this some sort of Multiversity offshoot or side effect? Because it looks like involves alternate timelines and such.

DC's 2015 Event Will Preempt All Regular Comics For Two Full Months

quote:

The alien supervillain Brainiac has trapped cities from various timelines and planets that have ended, brought them in domes to a planet outside of time and space, and is now opening them for a great experiment to see what happens when all these folks meet. ...

Following in the footsteps of Brainiac is Telos, a new bad guy being introduced in Convergence. Named after the Greek philosophical term for ''end'' or ''goal,'' he is born of Brainiac and this mysterious planet — even taking on traits of that world — "but becomes a character unto himself," says DiDio.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Senor Candle posted:

I going to be perfectly honest and admit that I didn't quite understand everything that happened in this issue but I loved it anyways and I'm going to read it again when I get home.

Oh thank god I thought it was just me.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I don't know if they were going to bring the president back to life; I read it more as using the president's death to unite and galvanize the country. Like a more narrowly focused version of Ozymandias' plan, and not one designed to benefit the whole world.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I don't understand this issue. :(

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Waterhaul posted:

Grant Morrison says gently caress you to Millar, Moore and the comics culture in general.

Well, the Moore hate is always assumed. What parts were targeted at Millar? I'm not really super-familiar with his work.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

vegetables posted:

Read it backwards after reading it forwards.

I'm trying. It's not easy in digital format, plus as near as I can tell the sections, not the pages need to be read in reverse.

I did just notice that when Atom's in the chamber on page 14, he's floating in front of the panel gutters, though.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I was just thinking I want to get the .cbr file for this issue so I can pull it apart and put it together in "chronological order".

Then I realized that I'd not only be taking the dog apart to see if the pieces explained the whole, I was also going to be dissecting a comic book.

Goddammit.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Shameless posted:

So maybe the sideways 8 isn't an infinity symbol but a Möbius strip?

I'm willing to bet that's exactly the case.

Lord Krangdar posted:

Even if the last section had been panel-for-panel backwards, so that the boy seemed to un-shoot his father, we the readers would still interpret the story the same forwards way. Which is maybe why the foreshadowing keeps implying that we are the true villains of the whole saga.

The page of Ultra Comics that reveals the villain is just going to be a mirror.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Inkslinger posted:

I can't shake the feeling that the panel where Peacemaker shoots the reader with his finger gun is the most important panel in the issue, with regard to the larger metaplot. But I need to reread the book a few times to see if I can figure out what Peacemaker might be accomplishing by shooting us...

My guess is he's trying to kill us (the readers) before we read Ultra Comics, because that's the catalyst for the Gentry's attacks and everything going to poo poo.

Peacemaker does shoot the reader after being asked who he's saving the world from...

Evil Mastermind fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Nov 20, 2014

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

vegetables posted:

The President thus contains nearly the entire span of his world's heroic age within the bounds of his life in a loop that never resolves, where none of us have any interest in what lies after the resolution.

Not just one heroic age. His childhood is the Golden Age (mystery men instead of people with powers, what we think of as "traditional values" being talked about on the radio), his presidency the Silver Age (appearance of super-teams, superheros intersecting with politics of the time), Question shifting to the Bronze Age (primarily Question's much darker turn, killing two criminals he's captured), and ending in the Modern Age (deconstruction of the genre, showing how heroes couldn't work in The Real World, Question and Peacemaker as anti-heroes doing violent acts that "must be done").

The colors of the ages of comics ties into Question's whole ramble about the colors of societal advancement, too.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I just spent a bunch of time writing out everything that happens in this issue in chronological order as I understand it, so I could get a better understanding of what's happening.

That may be the nerdiest thing I've ever done in my life. And I still don't get how the Gentry fit into it.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Personally, my theory is that Harley sacrificed himself to deliberately end the concept of the "superhero" on this Earth. I have this gut feeling that the Gentry are targeting worlds with super-types for some reason, and by eliminating them from his world, Harley has saved that particular Earth from the Gentry.

I have no proof for this, though.

In other news, Nathan Fairbairn posted about his coloring process on this issue.

quote:

Step 1: read Grant’s script and look at Frank’s line art

After weeping in a corner for a few minutes, I picked myself up and got stuck in.

e: Actually, I do have a bit of proof; when Harley has his revelation in the cemetery, he sees what look like cracks in the sky (although they might just be branches, but I doubt it because Morrison), and he does refer to himself later as the "ultimate supervillain" in need of redemption, and I think that refers to him kicking off the various comics eras.

Evil Mastermind fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Nov 21, 2014

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Another theory I've been seeing is that Captain Atom is cursed when he's reading Ultra Comics in the lab, goes back to show Harley "the door", which leads to his plan of "killing off" superheroes, which seems to be the Gentrys' goal.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

That was unsettling in the best way.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Just saw this solicitation on CA:

quote:

THE MULTIVERSITY DIRECTOR’S CUT #1
Written by GRANT MORRISON
Art and cover by IVAN REIS
On sale FEBRUARY 25• 64 pg, FC, $9.99 US • RATED T
The first monumental issue of THE MULTIVERSITY is back in this new Director’s Cut Edition, presenting Ivan Reis’s pencil artwork! This special comes polybagged with a 26.5” x 30.5” version of the sensational Map of the Multiverse poster, designed by Rian Hughes from Grant Morrison’s notes! Also included are preliminary character designs by Morrison and Reis, and more!

Read More: DC And Vertigo Comic Book Releases For February 2015 | http://comicsalliance.com/dc-and-vertigo-comic-book-releases-for-february-2015-solicitations/?trackback=tsmclip

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Teenage Fansub posted:

Read Thunderworld.
I love how he went from maybe his most complex comic to maybe his most simple.

I'd say it's the most hopeful. Evil contains the seeds for its own destruction, heroes arrive in the nick of time, and Captain Marvel sees the big threat and doesn't doubt for a second that they can beat it.

I feel like it's a counterpoint to everything Morrison's kind of fighting against with Multiversity; it's a world where the heroes are pure, the villains suitably villainous, and nobody dies. It's not dark, nobody gets their arms ripped off, there's no moral ambiguity. It's fun. There's still the sense of danger, but it's still lighthearted and fun.

"What happened to happy endings?" indeed. That line could drat well be the thesis statement of this whole thing.

quote:

The guidebook is advertised as the next thing in the back, but I feel like I might want to read it last.

Looks like there's going to be some small stand-alone stories in it on top of the info, like the Kamandi thing.

Is it just me, or does Morrison really like Kamandi?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I love that the way they defeated Georgina was a straight-up Silver Age Mxyzptlk trick.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Something else I just noticed:

This is the panel we see when Captain Marvel reads the S.O.S. comic.

But this is the actual panel in S.O.S.

Are the in-universe comics changing as things progress?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I do have to admit I'm a little disappointed that Snake Sivana didn't have the ridiculous overbite.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I read the New52 "Shazam" today, and man holding it up against what Captain Marvel has traditionally been and how he's depicted in Thunderworld...you really appreciate what Morrison did here even more.

(In case you haven't had the honor of reading it: Billy is a jerk kid who bounces from foster home to foster home and gets in fights, Freddie is a con artist, Sivana looks like Luthor with glasses and is trying to bring magic back for Reasons, and when Billy first uses the lightning he uses it to make petty cash and buy beer because he's an adult now. Oh, and Black Adam killed his son for the lightning, because his son wanted to heal the world instead of getting revenge on everyone.)

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Sanschel posted:

A little thought popped into my head today about what the black cloud in the Monster Society might be, as I recalled the plot of A Wrinkle in Time. In it the ultimate evil that the children indirectly fight is the Black Thing, a giant black cloud that swallows up entire planets. Black Thing's primary agent on the world the protagonists find themselves is IT, a disembodied telepathic brain that controls most of the population and causes them to think and act in perfect unison with IT's own desires. IT's immediate subordinate is The Man With Red Eyes, who is the original antagonist until he's revealed to be little more than a mouthpiece for IT.

The immediate correlations between these three and Dan Turpin/Darkseid/Mandrakk are pretty clear, and if you give Black Thing the trademark Red Eyes you've got the cloud monster from Thunderworld. The tone of the book itself is heavily echoed with that of Thunderworld: that childlike wonder and faith in the goodness of humanity can overcome great evil.

Perhaps a tenuous theory but it had me tickled.

That reminds me: were there ever any theories about what (if anything) the individual Gentry represent? I saw one theory that Demogorgon is supposed to be DC (it sort of resembles the logo), which makes me think that Lord Merciless is supposed to be Marvel, since they're the "House of Eye-deas".

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Man, this issue just makes me sad we're not going to get these worlds as 52 ongoing series.

Am I the only one who found the presentation of Earth 33 a little disturbing? Just the combination of everyone admiring Ultra and the "that's him right there" comment struck me.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Teenage Fansub posted:

I like that the character is named Ultra Comics.

Oh poo poo I completely missed that.

I do admit I'm a little surprised he didn't include the Amaglam universe as part of the 52. Unless it's one of the seven "secret pet projects" universes.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The "Injustice" universe is rather conspicuous by it's absence.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Speaking of /co/, someone there posted this interesting "alignment grid" of the placement of the universes:

Earth 5 (Thunderworld) is the one in the uppermost Pinnacle/Order position, and as we've seen it's the world where there's no real shades of grey, the heroes are suitably heroic, and evil contains the seeds of its own destruction.

Earth 10 (Nazi Earth) is in the lowermost Chaos/Pit corner. We haven't seen that one yet, but given what we do know, it's a world that's fallen pretty far. The Chaos edge might be because the Freedom Fighters are trying to overthrow Uberman, who is in turn trying to fix the world anyway.

Earth 4 (Pax Americana) is Pit/Order, which lines up nicely: it's a world that's had order imposed on it at the cost of its heroes.

Earth 42 (Chibi-Earth) is Pinnacle/Chaos. It's been depicted as a world of innocence where the villains are more nuisances than anything else, sort of a small child's view of superheroes, so that's the Pinnacle part. Chaos might represent the secret revealed this issue?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Well, I had nothing more productive to do this morning, so I put together a list of the universes' source materials. Maybe I'll go back later and add hyperlinks to Wikipedia. If people could fill in gaps I'd appreciate it.

Well, I had nothing more productive to do this morning, so I put together a list of the universes' source materials. Maybe I'll go back later and add hyperlinks to Wikipedia. If people could fill in gaps I'd appreciate it.

Earth-0: The "core" DCU, nu52 flavor.
Earth-1: The world of the "Earth One" graphic novel series.
Earth-2: The world of the Earth-2 ongoing series.
Earth-3: The home of the Crime Syndicate of America, where the concepts of "good" and "evil" are reversed. Was previously the "anti-matter universe".
Earth-4: The world of the Charleston heroes, as seen in the Pax Americana issue.
Earth-5: Thunderworld, the home of the Marvel Family, as seen in the issue of the same name.
Earth-6: The world of "Just Imagine Stan Lee Creating the DC Universe".
Earth-7: The DC version of the Ultimate Marvel universe. Little detail is known, because it was destroyed just before Multiversity #1.
Earth-8: The DC version of the Marvel universe, complete with character equivalents.
Earth-9: The "Tangent Comics" universe, where creators made new characters using existing DC character names.
Earth-10: The required Nazi Earth, as seen in Master Men #1. This is the home of Overman, last seen in Final Crisis and Superman Beyond.
Earth-11: The required gender-swap universe. Apparently conquered by the male Amazons (probably after the Amazons Attack event). Seen during The Search For The Atom.
Earth-12: The DC Animated Universe. Currently existing in the Batman Beyond/Justice League Beyond timeframe.
Earth-13: A world of dark magic, apparently influenced by darker 90's comics. Appeared briefly in Morrison's Doom Partol run.
Earth-14: Unknown world.
Earth-15: Destroyed by Superboy-Prime. The only remaining item is a green Power Battery called "The Cosmic Grail".
Earth-16: The world of The Just #1. Superheroes with nothing to do become self-centered celebrities.
Earth-17: Based on the Atomic Knights stories that appeared in the Golden Age "Strange Adventures" comic, altered to include versions of existing DC characters.
Earth-18: The world of the "Justice Riders" Elseworld one-shot.
Earth-19: The world of Batman: Gotham by Gaslight and Wonder Woman: Amazonia.
Earth-20: A world of pulp-era superheroes. Shown in Society of Super-heroes #1.
Earth-21: The home of The New Frontier series.
Earth-22: The world of Kingdom Come.
Earth-23: The world of "President Superman", as seen in issue #9 of Morrison's Action Comics run and briefly in Final Crisis.
Earth-24: Unknown world.
Earth-25: Unknown world.
Earth-26: The world of Captain Carrot and the Amazing Zoo Crew, although the original comic didn't have the Looney Toons style "cartoon physics".
Earth-27: Unknown world.
Earth-28: Unknown world.
Earth-29: Bizzaro-Earth.
Earth-30: The reality of Superman: Red Son.
Earth-31: The pirate universe. I don't think this one's been seen before.
Earth-32: A slight adjustment of Batman: Darkest Knight, where the heroes are combinations of two existing characters.
Earth-33: Our reality. Home of Superboy-Prime and Ultra Comics.
Earth-34: The DC equivalent of Kurt Busiek's Astro City.
Earth-35: A different take on Moore's run on Supreme (which had similar ideas and themes to Multiversity).
Earth-36: A new Earth, briefly seen in Morrison's Action Comics #9. This world's version of Superman was killed by the rampaging Superdoomsday of Earth 45.
Earth-37: The combined world of Howard Chaykin's Thrillkiller and Twilight.
Earth-38: The world of John Byrne's Superman & Batman: Generations series, where the characters aged in "real time" as opposed to "comic book time".
Earth-39: A new version of T.H.U.N.D.E.R. Agents.
Earth-40: The evil mirror of Earth-20, as seen in Society of Super-Heroes #1.
Earth-41: The DC version of the 90's Image Comics universe.
Earth-42: A new Earth, created for Multiversity?
Earth-43: The world of Batman: Red Rain, where vampire Batman has turned the world's heroes.
Earth-44: A new world. Doc Tornado looks like a version of Grant Morrison.
Earth-45: A world first seen in Action Comics #9. The Superman of this earth was a concept given form, but was corrupted by corporate interests, turning into Superdoomsday and attacking Earths 0, 23, 36, and 42.
Earth-46: Unknown world.
Earth-47: A 70's-inspired world, and home of Prez: The First Teenage President. The heroes appeared in Morrison's Animal Man run.
Earth-48: A new Earth, apparently influenced by events from Countdown with characters from Crisis on Infinite Earths and Morrison's JLA run.
Earth-49: Unknown world.
Earth-50: A world from the DCAU, seen in the Justice League episode "A Better World" and the current Justice League Beyond series.
Earth-51: The "Kirbyverse"; home of the New Gods, OMAC, and Kamandi.

Evil Mastermind fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Feb 19, 2015

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Jose Oquendo posted:

Evil Mastermind, I think Earth 1 is the world that the Earth One OGNs exist in?

edit: Earth 32 is the world from Batman: Darkest Knight

I updated the list. I don't know what an OGN is, though.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

redbackground posted:

Original Graphic Novel
Thanks. I updated the list. You don't happen to have a link to the specific novels, do you? The term is too vague to Google.

Die Laughing posted:

The chaos probably represents the slapstick of a cartoony world. Children are also chaotic
I thought of that too; it's interesting that this world is more "chaotic" than the cartoon-physics world of Captain Carrot. Although as presented in the old comics CC's world wasn't cartoony in the Roger Rabbit-style we saw in Multiversity #1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

OOOOOOH I remember those now. I saw them at the bookstore but never read them; they completely slipped my mind. Thanks!

• Locked thread